PDA

View Full Version : Getting a New Cat Along With an Old Dog

December 17th 06, 07:01 AM
I recently bought a New Kitten no more then about 2 months old, But for
12 yrs i've had my Husky/Colly mix Dog. She's a big wuss afraid of her
own shadow but were trying to get them both to get along the cat is
also very playful and my dog chases it often, and whenever the dog
comes near the Cat, the cat hisses sometimes even trys to claw my dog.
I'm wondering if they'll be able to get along or even maybe ignore each
other, if theres any suggestions it would be great appreciated thank
you!

Lynne
December 17th 06, 03:02 PM
on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:01:28 GMT, wrote:

> I recently bought a New Kitten no more then about 2 months old, But for
> 12 yrs i've had my Husky/Colly mix Dog. She's a big wuss afraid of her
> own shadow but were trying to get them both to get along the cat is
> also very playful and my dog chases it often, and whenever the dog
> comes near the Cat, the cat hisses sometimes even trys to claw my dog.
> I'm wondering if they'll be able to get along or even maybe ignore each
> other, if theres any suggestions it would be great appreciated thank
> you!

There are no guarantees that they will ever get along, but you will need to
train your dog not to chase or harm the cat if you want peace. The kitten
will get used to the dog and stop hissing and trying to scratch the dog so
long as the dog is gentle with her. They may even end up being friends and
playing, but that will depend on you and how well you train your dog.

--
Lynne

December 17th 06, 03:08 PM
Lynne wrote:
> on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:01:28 GMT, wrote:
>
> > I recently bought a New Kitten no more then about 2 months old, But for
> > 12 yrs i've had my Husky/Colly mix Dog. She's a big wuss afraid of her
> > own shadow but were trying to get them both to get along the cat is
> > also very playful and my dog chases it often, and whenever the dog
> > comes near the Cat, the cat hisses sometimes even trys to claw my dog.
> > I'm wondering if they'll be able to get along or even maybe ignore each
> > other, if theres any suggestions it would be great appreciated thank
> > you!
>
> There are no guarantees that they will ever get along, but you will need to
> train your dog not to chase or harm the cat if you want peace. The kitten
> will get used to the dog and stop hissing and trying to scratch the dog so
> long as the dog is gentle with her. They may even end up being friends and
> playing, but that will depend on you and how well you train your dog.
>
> --
> Lynne
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/

The dog is very well trained, and good the cat is just afraid as it is
10x bigger then him lol, but we make the dog lie down so the cat come
near and get used its just when the dog makes a sudden move the cat
hisses or runs lol i don't blame him and i know it takes time btw
thanks you for the reply!! ^_^

Lynne
December 17th 06, 03:15 PM
on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:08:25 GMT, wrote:

> The dog is very well trained, and good the cat is just afraid as it is
> 10x bigger then him lol, but we make the dog lie down so the cat come
> near and get used its just when the dog makes a sudden move the cat
> hisses or runs lol i don't blame him and i know it takes time btw
> thanks you for the reply!!

Oh, if that is the case, then it is very likely the kitten will warm up to
the dog!

--
Lynne

December 17th 06, 03:39 PM
Lynne wrote:
> on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:08:25 GMT, wrote:
>
> > The dog is very well trained, and good the cat is just afraid as it is
> > 10x bigger then him lol, but we make the dog lie down so the cat come
> > near and get used its just when the dog makes a sudden move the cat
> > hisses or runs lol i don't blame him and i know it takes time btw
> > thanks you for the reply!!
>
> Oh, if that is the case, then it is very likely the kitten will warm up to
> the dog!
>
> --
> Lynne
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/

Whew thats good then any advice or anything to give what i do now is
keep the dog on the leash make it sit or lie down and stay so the cat
come near, but if you know of any other ways to get them better
acquainted?

Lynne
December 17th 06, 05:52 PM
on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:39:44 GMT, wrote:

> Whew thats good then any advice or anything to give what i do now is
> keep the dog on the leash make it sit or lie down and stay so the cat
> come near, but if you know of any other ways to get them better
> acquainted?

Keep doing what you are doing, just don't try to force anything--let the
cat come around on his own time. Additionally, never leave the cat alone
with the dog unattended.

--
Lynne

Heart_Adam
December 19th 06, 12:30 PM
Lynne wrote:
> on Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:39:44 GMT, wrote:
>
> > Whew thats good then any advice or anything to give what i do now is
> > keep the dog on the leash make it sit or lie down and stay so the cat
> > come near, but if you know of any other ways to get them better
> > acquainted?
>
> Keep doing what you are doing, just don't try to force anything--let the
> cat come around on his own time. Additionally, never leave the cat alone
> with the dog unattended.
>
> --
> Lynne
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/

I denfitly won't i just hope they will get along lol he's very playful
just very scared of ym dog considering my dogs like 10x his size lol