PDA

View Full Version : How can I get a cat to be a lap cat?

hamilton
December 17th 06, 09:59 PM
We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
ideas?

santa claus
December 17th 06, 10:39 PM
hamilton wrote:
> We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
> unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
> really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
> I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
> on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
> ideas?

just lay waaaay back, put your feet up.. and wait.

it helps to tie a fish around your neck, or little bacon treats

Buddy's Mom
December 17th 06, 10:49 PM
That is the way cats are. You cannot "make" a cat do anything!!

hamilton wrote:
> We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
> unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
> really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
> I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
> on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
> ideas?

bookie
December 17th 06, 11:17 PM
hamilton wrote:
> We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
> unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
> really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
> I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
> on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
> ideas?
just be happy with the fact he is happy and healthy and enjoying life,
that is more than enough. if he wants to sit on a lap he will, if he
doesn't he won't, you have to love cats for what and who they turn out
to be, just like you would your kids, you can't train them (cats or
kids), they are not dogs and that is their charm. So what if he doesn't
want to sit on a lap? so what uif he doesn't turn out to have the
personality you desired? very few humans grow into adulthood with with
perfect characters and personalities, the majority grow to be rather
horrible and nasty individuals, particularly through adolescence, but
you have to put up with that and you can't change it usually.
I have never had a 'lap cat' btw, had cats who loved to snuggles up
under the covers with me, one who loved to sleep stretched out across
me on my bed, current one woudl never share a bed with me as she
prefers the bottom of my cupboard, another who slept in the bath, they
are all different and all have their little foibles, just have to
accept it as part of the package

Your kitten sounds a lovely little fellow and at that stage he has far
more important things to be doing (exploring his surroundings, climbing
curtains, pouncing on savage bits of string, chasing rolled up balls of
paper, leading an expedition into the mysterious land of Behind the
Fridge, etc etc) than sittign still on a humans lap, so enjoy him as he
enjoys his new surroundings, and love him regardless of whether he
wants to bow to your desires or not.
you can;t choose the personalitie of your kids or family so why do you
want to choose the personality of your cat?
Bookie
ps have never had a 'lap cat' btw, had cats who loved to snuggles up
under the covers with me, one who l;oved to sleep stretched out across
me on my bed, current one woudl never share a bed with me as she
prefers the bottom of my cupboard, another who slept in the bath, they
are all different and their little foibles, just have to accept it as
part of the package

Spot
December 18th 06, 12:21 AM
My one cat has a thing for blue jeans if you are wearing them at the time.
Any other time she could care less if she sits on your lap but relax in the
chair and have on a pair of jeans and she's right there all over you

Celeste

"santa claus" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> hamilton wrote:
>> We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
>> unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
>> really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
>> I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
>> on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
>> ideas?
>
> just lay waaaay back, put your feet up.. and wait.
>
> it helps to tie a fish around your neck, or little bacon treats

amyt
December 18th 06, 04:16 AM
patience, my dear. you can't take the frisky oout of any kitten. all
they wanna do is play, play, play! as your cats gets older, she will
calm down and then she'll do a heck of a lot of lounging...on your lap
and otherwise, believe me!

have fun with her hyperness while she is young. it doesn't last
forever.

hamilton wrote:
> We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
> unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
> really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
> I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
> on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
> ideas?

Phil P.
December 18th 06, 06:39 AM
"hamilton" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
> unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
> really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
> I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
> on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
> ideas?

Play with the kitten using a string toy. After a few minutes, hand the wand
to your husband. Encourage your husband to play with your kitten using
interactive toys. Playing is more effective than feeding with kittens.

Phil

catface
December 18th 06, 08:34 AM
As everyone has pointed out, every cat has an individual personality.
Some are snugglers , some are affectionate but aloof. My current tuxedo
cat Oscar has his moments but we usually pounce on him and wrestle him
to the ground if we want to cuddle him. He rubs and head butts and
sleeps next to my daughter (person of choice. I'm just the slave) but
doesn't want to be held. But we recently fostered a little scrap of a
kitten who was desperately clingy. She would climb up trouser legs,
sleep on laps, under chins, on shoulders..Human contact was very
important to her. (She's with a nice family now who absolutely adore
her) So accept your kitten for what he is. You'll appreciate his
cuddles all the more because they're rare.
Phil P. wrote:
> "hamilton" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
> > unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
> > really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
> > I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
> > on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
> > ideas?
>
> Play with the kitten using a string toy. After a few minutes, hand the wand
> to your husband. Encourage your husband to play with your kitten using
> interactive toys. Playing is more effective than feeding with kittens.
>
> Phil

December 18th 06, 05:25 PM
My cat used to sit on my lap, then I took him to have the snip and he's
never sat on my lap again (and that's 13 years ago!) - he sits next to
me with his head on my lap, but if I pick him up and put him on my lap
he jumps straight off, how weird is that?

hamilton wrote:
> We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
> unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
> really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
> I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
> on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
> ideas?

Lynne
December 19th 06, 12:41 AM
on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:25:16 GMT, wrote:

> My cat used to sit on my lap, then I took him to have the snip and he's
> never sat on my lap again (and that's 13 years ago!) - he sits next to
> me with his head on my lap, but if I pick him up and put him on my lap
> he jumps straight off, how weird is that?

if that happens with Levi when he gets snipped, I'll be despondent. He is
currently sleeping on my shoulder after having a good lip suckle.

--
Lynne