PDA

View Full Version : seeking cat claw care advice

Pamela Oglesby
December 18th 06, 05:05 AM
My cat gets his claws caught on the carpet and couch quite often and
this causes him discomfort. I would like to trim his claws, but I don't
know how to safely do that. It seems it would be easier to get him a
scratching post, but I haven't found one that interests him. I would
appreciate any advice on either claw trimming or sure fire scratching
posts. He is about 10 years old and just a great creature. I'd do
anything to make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance.

Pam

cybercat
December 18th 06, 05:36 AM
"Pamela Oglesby" > wrote in message
> My cat gets his claws caught on the carpet and couch quite often and
> this causes him discomfort. I would like to trim his claws, but I don't
> know how to safely do that. It seems it would be easier to get him a
> scratching post, but I haven't found one that interests him. I would
> appreciate any advice on either claw trimming or sure fire scratching
> posts. He is about 10 years old and just a great creature. I'd do
> anything to make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance.

Pam, all you have to do is cut the very tips of his claws to make it
easier for him. We use these:

http://tinyurl.com/ym3mxk

If he lets you handle his feet, it should be easy. You just
press his foot between your fingers so his claws extend then
clip the very tip.

If he does not like you handling his feet, roll him in a large
towel and have a friend hold him so that just one foot sticks
out, and you trim. It is very easy for the person holding the
cat to hold his head so that he cannot bite and also keep his
three legs wrapped in the towel so he will not scratch.

Talk to him soothingly during and reward him afterward.

If this sounds intimidating, take him to a vet or groomer and
pay them the first time, and watch them do it.

As for scratchers, I have never met the cat that can resist
this one! You rub it with catnip.

http://tinyurl.com/y32exg

Phil P.
December 18th 06, 07:34 AM
"Pamela Oglesby" > wrote in message
> My cat gets his claws caught on the carpet and couch quite often and
> this causes him discomfort. I would like to trim his claws, but I don't
> know how to safely do that. It seems it would be easier to get him a
> scratching post, but I haven't found one that interests him. I would
> appreciate any advice on either claw trimming or sure fire scratching
> posts. He is about 10 years old and just a great creature. I'd do
> anything to make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance.
>
> Pam

http://maxshouse.com/Claw%20Trimming.htm

Wendy
December 18th 06, 12:50 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Pamela Oglesby" > wrote in message
>> My cat gets his claws caught on the carpet and couch quite often and
>> this causes him discomfort. I would like to trim his claws, but I don't
>> know how to safely do that. It seems it would be easier to get him a
>> scratching post, but I haven't found one that interests him. I would
>> appreciate any advice on either claw trimming or sure fire scratching
>> posts. He is about 10 years old and just a great creature. I'd do
>> anything to make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance.
>>

> Pam, all you have to do is cut the very tips of his claws to make it
> easier for him. We use these:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ym3mxk
>
> If he lets you handle his feet, it should be easy. You just
> press his foot between your fingers so his claws extend then
> clip the very tip.
>
> If he does not like you handling his feet, roll him in a large
> towel and have a friend hold him so that just one foot sticks
> out, and you trim. It is very easy for the person holding the
> cat to hold his head so that he cannot bite and also keep his
> three legs wrapped in the towel so he will not scratch.
>
> Talk to him soothingly during and reward him afterward.
>
> If this sounds intimidating, take him to a vet or groomer and
> pay them the first time, and watch them do it.
>
> As for scratchers, I have never met the cat that can resist
> this one! You rub it with catnip.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/y32exg

The cardboard scratchers are great. My Diego loves his. My other two like a
good stretch while they scratch so my cat tree is their preference. The
scratching posts need to be heavy enough (or secured in some manner) so they
can't tip. It also needs to be tall enough that the cat can get a good
stretch. Mine like the part that is wrapped with the sisal rope. Spray it
with catnip to get them interested.

Rene S.
December 18th 06, 03:04 PM
Pamela Oglesby wrote:
> My cat gets his claws caught on the carpet and couch quite often and
> this causes him discomfort. I would like to trim his claws, but I don't
> know how to safely do that. It seems it would be easier to get him a
> scratching post, but I haven't found one that interests him. I would
> appreciate any advice on either claw trimming or sure fire scratching
> posts. He is about 10 years old and just a great creature. I'd do
> anything to make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance.
>
> Pam

Hi Pam,

Cybercat has already given you some great tips on trimming claws. Don't
feel you have to trim all his claws at once; start by doing one or two
and go from there.

Also, have you tried a "non traditional" scratching post? I've known
people who have used simple things like a large log or an upside down
wicker laundry basket, and their cats loved them!

Rene

jmagerl
December 18th 06, 05:54 PM
RE: Nontraditional scratching posts

I had a cat that used to shun every scratching post I tried. Nothing worked
until one day he bolted out the front door (indoor cat) and immediately
started to shred the tires on my car. And thats the story why I have an old
tire in the living room

"Rene S." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Pamela Oglesby wrote:
>> My cat gets his claws caught on the carpet and couch quite often and
>> this causes him discomfort. I would like to trim his claws, but I don't
>> know how to safely do that. It seems it would be easier to get him a
>> scratching post, but I haven't found one that interests him. I would
>> appreciate any advice on either claw trimming or sure fire scratching
>> posts. He is about 10 years old and just a great creature. I'd do
>> anything to make him more comfortable. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Pam
>
> Hi Pam,
>
> Cybercat has already given you some great tips on trimming claws. Don't
> feel you have to trim all his claws at once; start by doing one or two
> and go from there.
>
> Also, have you tried a "non traditional" scratching post? I've known
> people who have used simple things like a large log or an upside down
> wicker laundry basket, and their cats loved them!
>
> Rene

cybercat
December 18th 06, 06:31 PM
"Wendy" > wrote
> The cardboard scratchers are great. My Diego loves his. My other two like
> a good stretch while they scratch so my cat tree is their preference.

Gracie also loves a vertical scratch! At present I have no room for a cat
tree
(long story, the house is big enough but full of big stuff passed to us when
beloved relative died, so there is no getting rid of the big stuff). So I
got
oneat Petsmart for $15. It is just the right height that she gets a good
scratch
in--32 inches tall. The usual ones are way too short for the cat to get that
good stretch in! It has only carpet on it, but I bought the sisal and glue
fix that. She loves it. It is tall enough that she can leap up and stick to
the top
like velcro. Once she took a flying leap and wound up stuck to it upside
down,
hahaha!

The
> scratching posts need to be heavy enough (or secured in some manner) so
> they can't tip. It also needs to be tall enough that the cat can get a
> good stretch. Mine like the part that is wrapped with the sisal rope.
> Spray it with catnip to get them interested.

I've never seen spray catnip!

Lynne
December 19th 06, 12:59 AM
on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:36:05 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> As for scratchers, I have never met the cat that can resist
> this one! You rub it with catnip.

Meet Rudy (http://tinyurl.com/utvbv). The only thing he has ever done with
those cardboard scratchers is lick them to the point of breaking down the
cardboard. Weirdo kitty.

OTOH, Levi LOVES them. (So does the dog, but they don't last long with
her, if you get my drift.)

--
Lynne

Lynne
December 19th 06, 01:00 AM
on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:31:22 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I've never seen spray catnip!

I wouldn't trust spray catnip. Of course I buy organically grown, freeze
dried catnip...

--
Lynne

December 19th 06, 01:13 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:36:05 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> As for scratchers, I have never met the cat that can resist
>> this one! You rub it with catnip.
>
> Meet Rudy (http://tinyurl.com/utvbv). The only thing he has ever done
> with
> those cardboard scratchers is lick them to the point of breaking down the
> cardboard. Weirdo kitty.

He is sooo pretty. Boo will not scratch scratchers of any kine, but likes to
lie on the flat ones. She licks catnip toys until they are ABsolutely
disgusting!

> OTOH, Levi LOVES them. (So does the dog, but they don't last long with
> her, if you get my drift.)

Hahaha!

December 19th 06, 01:16 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 17:31:22 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> I've never seen spray catnip!
>
> I wouldn't trust spray catnip. Of course I buy organically grown, freeze
> dried catnip...

Of course you do! ;) I use the kind that comes with my Alpine Scratcher
and the kind from FatCats, "Cosmic Catnip" and "Zoom-around-the-room"
catnip.

Have you been to FatCats yet? :) I collect these things.

http://fatcats.com/html_site/hhome.shtml

I have retired ones--including Newt Gingrich, Bill Gates, and Bill Clinton.

They are also allll over the house from the cats playing with them. My first
and favorite was the tick.

Lynne
December 19th 06, 01:38 AM
on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:54:35 GMT, "jmagerl" > wrote:

> And thats the story why I have an old
> tire in the living room

Hilarious!

--
Lynne

Lynne
December 19th 06, 01:40 AM
on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 00:16:20 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> http://fatcats.com/html_site/hhome.shtml

I've gotta get some of those meece!

--
Lynne

Cheryl
December 19th 06, 04:12 AM
On Mon 18 Dec 2006 12:31:22p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:

> Gracie also loves a vertical scratch! At present I have no room
> for a cat tree

Do you have a little bit of vertical space in a corner on the wall
somewhere? You could wrap a 4x4 or 6x6 with sisal or carpet and
mount it to the wall, in a corner would be ideal, but if not, no
biggie. It could be mounted with T brackets and anchors. Rather than
attach shelves to the post, shelves could be attached to the wall in
close proximity to the post mounted to the wall so that it looks like
a cat tree. I think it would look neat!

--
Cheryl

cybercat
December 19th 06, 04:21 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Mon 18 Dec 2006 12:31:22p, cybercat wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav >:
>
>> Gracie also loves a vertical scratch! At present I have no room
>> for a cat tree
>
> Do you have a little bit of vertical space in a corner on the wall
> somewhere? You could wrap a 4x4 or 6x6 with sisal or carpet and
> mount it to the wall, in a corner would be ideal, but if not, no
> biggie. It could be mounted with T brackets and anchors. Rather than
> attach shelves to the post, shelves could be attached to the wall in
> close proximity to the post mounted to the wall so that it looks like
> a cat tree. I think it would look neat!

Great idea, thanks. And very timely. After nearly nine years in this house
with all this big stuff I did not choose, I have been looking around as I
clean and prepare for Christmas company, thinking, "it's time I made this
place MINE." The cats are a huge part of our lives, time to make the place
even more cat friendly! Now if only anyone around here could drive a nail
straight ... :)

Lynne
December 19th 06, 04:24 AM
on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:21:55 GMT, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> Great idea, thanks. And very timely. After nearly nine years in this
> house with all this big stuff I did not choose, I have been looking
> around as I clean and prepare for Christmas company, thinking, "it's
> time I made this place MINE." The cats are a huge part of our lives,
> time to make the place even more cat friendly! Now if only anyone
> around here could drive a nail straight ... :)

I'm having my basement finished (yay! double the space!!) and told the
contractor when he was here tonight doing drawings that I wanted to have
him build some cat ladders and steps in one of the rooms. I plan to paint
them funky colors and they will lead to a window which will eventually lead
to an outdoor enclosure. He barely blinked, hehe.

--
Lynne

December 19th 06, 04:29 AM
"Lynne" > wrote
> I'm having my basement finished (yay! double the space!!) and told the
> contractor when he was here tonight doing drawings that I wanted to have
> him build some cat ladders and steps in one of the rooms. I plan to paint
> them funky colors and they will lead to a window which will eventually
> lead
> to an outdoor enclosure. He barely blinked, hehe.

That is so cool. We have a friend in Beverly Hills who has a tiny house
(ever see prices out there?) but something like, nine cats, all rescues.
For years she has had this cool system of outdoor, window-access
cat enclosures for her cats. It's really neat.

I also love funky colors, not fashionable but "feel good!" I am sooo
sick of this ultra-traditional place with its white walls and matchy-matchy
stuff and neutral shades that "blend." I want CONTRAST! Life is short.
Even shorter for cats .. bringing everything back to topic, heeee!

What all will you have in the basement? How many rooms?

Lynne
December 19th 06, 04:52 AM
on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:29:45 GMT, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> I also love funky colors, not fashionable but "feel good!" I am sooo
> sick of this ultra-traditional place with its white walls and
> matchy-matchy stuff and neutral shades that "blend." I want CONTRAST!
> Life is short. Even shorter for cats .. bringing everything back to
> topic, heeee!

I am color blind in one eye due to an injury, so I've always gone with
safe, neutral stuff. I saw a really funky house on the net once with
these cool, narrow cat ladders and overhead shelves for them. They were
all painted with patterns and bright colors and I thought, "I have GOT to
do that one day." So now I will!

> What all will you have in the basement? How many rooms?

I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with an open floor plan and soaring
ceilings in the back of the house. Sounds nice, but it's not a very
efficient layout at all (giant unuseable foyer=WASTED SPACE). We are
bursting at the seams. The basement will have a proper laundry room, a
large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, a family room with a wet bar, a large
bedroom, an office, a "project room" and a storage area. The guy doing
the work is a friend and he can't be put on a schedule due to family
obligations. It could take up to a year, but I trust him to give him a
key and I know he will do exceptionally good work at a fair price--so the
wait is worth it! My house is currently 1800 square feet and this will
double the living space. We're really starting to need it! I'm so
excited!! I just refinanced and pulled out some equity in order to do
this. I've been in this house 11 years. It's about damn time.

Once all that is done I'm going to fix up the upstairs, and after that,
put in a new covered deck and a cat enclosure. We're talking long term
for that, but I know the kitties will love it when it's finally done. In
the meantime, the steps, ladders and shelves ought to make them pretty
happy.

--
Lynne

Lynne
December 19th 06, 04:54 AM
on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:52:07 GMT, Lynne >
wrote:

> I saw a really funky house on the net once with
> these cool, narrow cat ladders and overhead shelves for them.

this isn't the same one I saw before, but here's something similar:

http://www.thecatconnection.com/news_2005/mar05/Images/cat_house.jpg

--
Lynne

22brix
December 19th 06, 07:38 AM
This is from a book called The Cat's House by Bob Walker and Frances Mooney.
It was given to me from my sister who knows my weakness for cats and it is
absolutely fabulous. The authors obviously care deeply about cats and have
designed and built an incredible set up--ramps, climbing poles, overhead
passages leading to other rooms and, Cybercat, not a dull color in the
house! I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of this book--just haven't had
the energy to do anything about it! It's available from Amazon for $13.83.

Bonnie

"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:52:07 GMT, Lynne >
> wrote:
>
>> I saw a really funky house on the net once with
>> these cool, narrow cat ladders and overhead shelves for them.
>
> this isn't the same one I saw before, but here's something similar:
>
> http://www.thecatconnection.com/news_2005/mar05/Images/cat_house.jpg
>
> --
> Lynne
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/

Lynne
December 19th 06, 02:22 PM
on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 06:38:05 GMT, "22brix" >
wrote:

> This is from a book called The Cat's House by Bob Walker and Frances
> Mooney.

Thanks--I had no idea! I'm going to order it so I can see what else they
have done before I build for my cats.

--
Lynne

22brix
December 19th 06, 05:35 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 06:38:05 GMT, "22brix" >
> wrote:
>
>> This is from a book called The Cat's House by Bob Walker and Frances
>> Mooney.
>
> Thanks--I had no idea! I'm going to order it so I can see what else they
> have done before I build for my cats.
>
> --
> Lynne
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/

There's a section where they show how to do some of the things in the
book--they're very creative.

Bonnie

Lynne
December 19th 06, 07:25 PM
on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 16:35:21 GMT, "22brix" > wrote:

> There's a section where they show how to do some of the things in the
> book--they're very creative.

Ordered it! The above was the cincher. Thanks!!

--
Lynne