PDA

View Full Version : Pill - It's What's For Dinner

Tischler
December 19th 06, 10:22 AM
Any suggestions for making pills palatable? My cat has caught onto
the hide-the-antibiotic-table-in-the-hollow-kibble gambit and now
chews more carefully and immediately ejects the pill as soon as she
bites into it. She eats very little wet food recently, so pulverizing
the pill and mixing it in with the mush seems ineffective.

Note that this cat, adopted several years ago as an adult feral, is
still terrified of being touched. And I live alone. So any
suggestions involving capturing, forced swallowing or syringes are
less-than-ideal.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

jmc
December 19th 06, 12:39 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Tischler exclaimed (19-Dec-06 6:52 PM):
> Any suggestions for making pills palatable? My cat has caught onto
> the hide-the-antibiotic-table-in-the-hollow-kibble gambit and now
> chews more carefully and immediately ejects the pill as soon as she
> bites into it. She eats very little wet food recently, so pulverizing
> the pill and mixing it in with the mush seems ineffective.
>
> Note that this cat, adopted several years ago as an adult feral, is
> still terrified of being touched. And I live alone. So any
> suggestions involving capturing, forced swallowing or syringes are
> less-than-ideal.
>
> Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Saw a post here recently suggestiong pulverizing and mixing in the water
from a tuna can. You'd have to check with the vet though, to see
whether this particular pill becomes ineffective in water...

I've noticed that if the amount is small, I can successfully pulverize a
pill and mix it with her *dry* food (rarely do this though, only when
she's in one of her "wet food sux" moods). There is some loss in doing
this, but for her glucosamine, I'd say it's less than 10%.

jmc

Rene S.
December 19th 06, 02:47 PM
Tischler wrote:
> Any suggestions for making pills palatable? My cat has caught onto
> the hide-the-antibiotic-table-in-the-hollow-kibble gambit and now
> chews more carefully and immediately ejects the pill as soon as she
> bites into it. She eats very little wet food recently, so pulverizing
> the pill and mixing it in with the mush seems ineffective.
>
> Note that this cat, adopted several years ago as an adult feral, is
> still terrified of being touched. And I live alone. So any
> suggestions involving capturing, forced swallowing or syringes are
> less-than-ideal.
>
> Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried Pill Pockets? They are a soft "treat" pocket in which
you insert the pill and squeeze shut. they work great for some cats,
and might be worth a try in your case. Most pet stores carry them or
they have a web site at www.pillpockets.com

Tischler
December 20th 06, 07:37 AM
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:09:42 +0930, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, Tischler exclaimed (19-Dec-06 6:52 PM):
>> Any suggestions for making pills palatable? My cat has caught onto
>> the hide-the-antibiotic-table-in-the-hollow-kibble gambit and now
>> chews more carefully and immediately ejects the pill as soon as she
>> bites into it. She eats very little wet food recently, so pulverizing
>> the pill and mixing it in with the mush seems ineffective.
>>
>> Note that this cat, adopted several years ago as an adult feral, is
>> still terrified of being touched. And I live alone. So any
>> suggestions involving capturing, forced swallowing or syringes are
>> less-than-ideal.
>>
>> Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
>
>Saw a post here recently suggestiong pulverizing and mixing in the water
>from a tuna can. You'd have to check with the vet though, to see
>whether this particular pill becomes ineffective in water...
>
>I've noticed that if the amount is small, I can successfully pulverize a
>pill and mix it with her *dry* food (rarely do this though, only when
>she's in one of her "wet food sux" moods). There is some loss in doing
>this, but for her glucosamine, I'd say it's less than 10%.
>
>jmc

Thanks. I hadn't thought of mixing it with tuna water. I'll give it
a shot.

Tischler
December 20th 06, 07:42 AM
On 19 Dec 2006 05:47:08 -0800, "Rene S." >
wrote:

>Tischler wrote:
>> Any suggestions for making pills palatable? My cat has caught onto
>> the hide-the-antibiotic-table-in-the-hollow-kibble gambit and now
>> chews more carefully and immediately ejects the pill as soon as she
>> bites into it. She eats very little wet food recently, so pulverizing
>> the pill and mixing it in with the mush seems ineffective.
>>
>> Note that this cat, adopted several years ago as an adult feral, is
>> still terrified of being touched. And I live alone. So any
>> suggestions involving capturing, forced swallowing or syringes are
>> less-than-ideal.
>>
>> Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
>
>Have you tried Pill Pockets? They are a soft "treat" pocket in which
>you insert the pill and squeeze shut. they work great for some cats,
>and might be worth a try in your case. Most pet stores carry them or
>they have a web site at www.pillpockets.com

That's what I've been using, actually. Didn't know what they were
called. Unfortunately (?), my cat chews her food carefully and, when
she finds the pill inside, the whole thing is left on the ground. I'll
check with the vet about making a solution with tuna water or chicken
juice or something, although I'm pretty sure he said this antibiotic
couldn't be delivered that way, anyway. Thanks for the link, though.
The Pill Pockets might come in handy again when I've got smaller
pills.

Phoenix
December 20th 06, 10:09 PM
Tischler wrote:
> Any suggestions for making pills palatable? ...
> Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

One word. Velveeta.

We successfully gave my (now RB at 22) elderly cat a daily pill by
wrapping it in a bit of velveeta. We currently are giving another cat 2
pills daily...and she begs for them. (Sometimes we just use bits of
American cheese slices.)

Works for d*gs too.

Of course, all of our cats grew up only getting cheese when it had a
"crunchy center".

Deborah
mostly lurking