PDA

View Full Version : So, am I starving my cat?

December 20th 06, 10:42 PM
Hi Everyone ~

I have an 8 year old cat that I adopted 2 years ago. His name,
appropriately, is Blimpo. He is 19 pounds. He was 19 lbs when I got
him, and he is 19 lbs now. Recent checkup shows everything is fine,
except that he is a whale.

So, I have started feeding him less..

For the past week he is getting one 3 oz can of Purina ProPlan canned
at 7am, then 1.5 oz (1/2 a can) at 5pm, and the other 1.5 oz at 11pm.
6oz a day of wet food. That's it. He seems pretty cool with it, and is
as active as ever, but with cats you can never be too sure.

Is this too little? Not healthy for him? I was giving him the above
plus an extra 1/2 cup of dry Nutro weight control, but he never lost
wieght that way. I want him down to about 15 lbs. He is getting older
and the extra tonage is not going to be good for his health.

Thoughts?

Bluesman

cybercat
December 20th 06, 11:14 PM
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi Everyone ~
>
> I have an 8 year old cat that I adopted 2 years ago. His name,
> appropriately, is Blimpo. He is 19 pounds. He was 19 lbs when I got
> him, and he is 19 lbs now. Recent checkup shows everything is fine,
> except that he is a whale.
>
> So, I have started feeding him less..
>
> For the past week he is getting one 3 oz can of Purina ProPlan canned
> at 7am, then 1.5 oz (1/2 a can) at 5pm, and the other 1.5 oz at 11pm.
> 6oz a day of wet food. That's it. He seems pretty cool with it, and is
> as active as ever, but with cats you can never be too sure.
>
> Is this too little? Not healthy for him? I was giving him the above
> plus an extra 1/2 cup of dry Nutro weight control, but he never lost
> wieght that way. I want him down to about 15 lbs. He is getting older
> and the extra tonage is not going to be good for his health.

Hey! It's the late great Fatass's cat dad! Nice to hear from you.

This is exactlty how much I feed my Boo, who was 18 lbs and went
down to 9 lbs. (She is currently 10 lbs because she conducts stealth
raids on the other cat's food dish as soon as I look the other way.)
The only difference is, I feed her 3 oz every 12 hours. I think it is fine.
My vet said to reduce the amount by 1/4 when they plateau. Sounds
like this is what you have done.

Buddy's Mom
December 21st 06, 01:25 AM
I totally agree that this is enough food and hopefully will allow your
kitty to lose weight. Keep up the good work, too much weight isn't
good for them or for us!

cybercat wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > Hi Everyone ~
> >
> > I have an 8 year old cat that I adopted 2 years ago. His name,
> > appropriately, is Blimpo. He is 19 pounds. He was 19 lbs when I got
> > him, and he is 19 lbs now. Recent checkup shows everything is fine,
> > except that he is a whale.
> >
> > So, I have started feeding him less..
> >
> > For the past week he is getting one 3 oz can of Purina ProPlan canned
> > at 7am, then 1.5 oz (1/2 a can) at 5pm, and the other 1.5 oz at 11pm.
> > 6oz a day of wet food. That's it. He seems pretty cool with it, and is
> > as active as ever, but with cats you can never be too sure.
> >
> > Is this too little? Not healthy for him? I was giving him the above
> > plus an extra 1/2 cup of dry Nutro weight control, but he never lost
> > wieght that way. I want him down to about 15 lbs. He is getting older
> > and the extra tonage is not going to be good for his health.
> >

> Hey! It's the late great Fatass's cat dad! Nice to hear from you.
>
> This is exactlty how much I feed my Boo, who was 18 lbs and went
> down to 9 lbs. (She is currently 10 lbs because she conducts stealth
> raids on the other cat's food dish as soon as I look the other way.)
> The only difference is, I feed her 3 oz every 12 hours. I think it is fine.
> My vet said to reduce the amount by 1/4 when they plateau. Sounds
> like this is what you have done.

December 21st 06, 07:35 PM
Buddy's Mom wrote:
> I totally agree that this is enough food and hopefully will allow your
> kitty to lose weight. Keep up the good work, too much weight isn't
> good for them or for us!
>
> cybercat wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ps.com...
> > > Hi Everyone ~
> > >
> > > I have an 8 year old cat that I adopted 2 years ago. His name,
> > > appropriately, is Blimpo. He is 19 pounds. He was 19 lbs when I got
> > > him, and he is 19 lbs now. Recent checkup shows everything is fine,
> > > except that he is a whale.
> > >
> > > So, I have started feeding him less..
> > >
> > > For the past week he is getting one 3 oz can of Purina ProPlan canned
> > > at 7am, then 1.5 oz (1/2 a can) at 5pm, and the other 1.5 oz at 11pm.
> > > 6oz a day of wet food. That's it. He seems pretty cool with it, and is
> > > as active as ever, but with cats you can never be too sure.
> > >
> > > Is this too little? Not healthy for him? I was giving him the above
> > > plus an extra 1/2 cup of dry Nutro weight control, but he never lost
> > > wieght that way. I want him down to about 15 lbs. He is getting older
> > > and the extra tonage is not going to be good for his health.
> > >

> > Hey! It's the late great Fatass's cat dad! Nice to hear from you.
> >
> > This is exactlty how much I feed my Boo, who was 18 lbs and went
> > down to 9 lbs. (She is currently 10 lbs because she conducts stealth
> > raids on the other cat's food dish as soon as I look the other way.)
> > The only difference is, I feed her 3 oz every 12 hours. I think it is fine.
> > My vet said to reduce the amount by 1/4 when they plateau. Sounds
> > like this is what you have done.

Thanks guys - I will keep it up for the next month or so, and I will
run him all over the house with the laser pointer, and then see how his
blubber is doing - and thanks for remembering Fatass. I still have her
bowl (inscribed with the name "Fatass") sitting on my mantle.

Peace,

Bluesman

February 1st 07, 03:56 PM
On Dec 21 2006, 2:35 pm, wrote:
> Buddy's Mom wrote:
> > I totally agree that this is enough food and hopefully will allow your
> > kitty to lose weight. Keep up the good work, too much weight isn't
> > good for them or for us!

> > ps.com...

> > > Hey! It's the late great Fatass's cat dad! Nice to hear from you.
>
> > > This is exactlty how much I feed my Boo, who was 18 lbs and went
> > > down to 9 lbs. (She is currently 10 lbs because she conducts stealth
> > > raids on the other cat's food dish as soon as I look the other way.)
> > > The only difference is, I feed her 3 oz every 12 hours. I think it is fine.
> > > My vet said to reduce the amount by 1/4 when they plateau. Sounds
> > > like this is what you have done.
>
> Thanks guys - I will keep it up for the next month or so, and I will
> run him all over the house with the laser pointer, and then see how his
> blubber is doing - and thanks for remembering Fatass. I still have her
> bowl (inscribed with the name "Fatass") sitting on my mantle.
>
> Peace,
>
> Bluesman- Hide quoted text -

Ok, I am back again...

Have been giving Blimpo the same 6 oz a day broken into 3
feedings...It has been 7 or 8 weeks, and I can't tell if this guy is
losing any weight!

Hard to get accurate measurment on a home scale while picking him up.
Since I see him every day, maybe it is harder for me to tell. Are
there any things I can check to see if the blubber is going down?
Maybe a tape measure around his ass or something? :-)

I don't want to spend $50+ on a pet scale unless I have to.

Thanks,

Bluesman