PDA

View Full Version : Is my cat crazy?

ADeadFishDied
December 21st 06, 02:26 AM
I recently adopted a cat named Elmwood from the local animal shelter.
The people down there said everything about her is fine, but I think
otherwise. She has been trying to kill my old husky, Brownie. I've seen
Brownie just sleeping there peacefully, but Elmwood would try to climb
a peice of furniture to jump on him. She even agitated him to the point
where he chased her. She jumped on my chair and started clawing
furiously at the dog. I really think there is something wrong with her,
but I really need more to know how to stop this awkward behavior.

Cheryl
December 21st 06, 02:58 AM
On Wed 20 Dec 2006 08:26:06p, ADeadFishDied wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ups.com>:

> I recently adopted a cat named Elmwood from the local animal
> shelter. The people down there said everything about her is
> fine, but I think otherwise. She has been trying to kill my old
> husky, Brownie. I've seen Brownie just sleeping there
> peacefully, but Elmwood would try to climb a peice of furniture
> to jump on him. She even agitated him to the point where he
> chased her. She jumped on my chair and started clawing furiously
> at the dog. I really think there is something wrong with her,
> but I really need more to know how to stop this awkward
> behavior.

She's not crazy, she is being defensive. How did you introduce
them? She seriously feels threatened by an animal much larger than
herself, and a stranger to her. A cats defenses are claws and
teeth. They know how to use both very well, even on creatures
larger than they are as you are witnessing. How recently did you
bring in Elmwood?

--
Cheryl

Lynne
December 21st 06, 04:01 AM
on Thu, 21 Dec 2006 01:26:06 GMT, "ADeadFishDied" >
wrote:

> I recently adopted a cat named Elmwood from the local animal shelter.
> The people down there said everything about her is fine, but I think
> otherwise. She has been trying to kill my old husky, Brownie. I've seen
> Brownie just sleeping there peacefully, but Elmwood would try to climb
> a peice of furniture to jump on him. She even agitated him to the point
> where he chased her. She jumped on my chair and started clawing
> furiously at the dog. I really think there is something wrong with her,
> but I really need more to know how to stop this awkward behavior.

Is Elmwood a kitten? Could this behavior be play?

--
Lynne

santa claus
December 21st 06, 06:19 AM
Cheryl wrote:

> She's not crazy,<snip good advice>

good advice Cheryl, but this don't smell right
it smells like a setup

ADeadFishDied
December 22nd 06, 01:59 AM
Elmwood is around four years old (I will have to check back in with the
shelter). I didn't really introduce them. As soon as I brought her in I
had to run to my chiropractor for an adjustment. I came back and not
much was happening. Later that afternoon the 'defensiveness' started
up. I'm really not sure what to do. I have to leave Brownie out back
while I go to work so all these pets are making life miserable. If they
get along and can live under one house this might get a lot better.
Also, I spent a while with Elmwood while at the shelter, so she is very
friendly to me. This entire problem started in a flash with no
warnings.

On Dec 21, 12:19 am, "santa claus" > wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
> > She's not crazy,<snip good advice>good advice Cheryl, but this don't smell right
> it smells like a setup

A setup? What do you mean by setup?

Cheryl
December 22nd 06, 02:13 AM
On Thu 21 Dec 2006 07:59:15p, ADeadFishDied wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> Elmwood is around four years old (I will have to check back in
> with the shelter). I didn't really introduce them. As soon as I
> brought her in I had to run to my chiropractor for an
> adjustment. I came back and not much was happening. Later that
> afternoon the 'defensiveness' started up. I'm really not sure
> what to do. I have to leave Brownie out back while I go to work
> so all these pets are making life miserable. If they get along
> and can live under one house this might get a lot better. Also,
> I spent a while with Elmwood while at the shelter, so she is
> very friendly to me. This entire problem started in a flash with
> no warnings.

Animals really need a proper introduction period. Is there any way
that you can keep Elmwood in a room of her own while you're not
home? And even while you are there, since Elmwood is the aggressor
in this case, is there a way you can set up a barrier between them,
like a screen door or something so they can see each other, but be
no threat to each other? I haven't had to introduce a dog and cat
before, but I've done this introducing cats to each other.

It sounds very stressful. I hope you can find something that works,
and I hope others have some input who've actually done this.

--
Cheryl

santa claus
December 22nd 06, 03:30 AM
ADeadFishDied wrote:

> A setup? What do you mean by setup?

It's just a technic to drag more info out of somebody
put them on the defense.. a nasty little habit of mine

December 22nd 06, 08:21 AM
Well ... you didn't properly introduce them and now you're paying the
price. It is fixable, but it will take some time. It's not the cats or
the dogs fault - don't blame either of them - they're just doing what
comes naturally. Go to a pet store and buy a baby gate - something that
the dog can't get past and give the kitty a sanctuary room beyond the
gate for a few days with food and a box where doggie can't go. Kitty
will be able to jump over the fence, but the dog won't. They will see
each other, smell and each other and react to each other, but not able
to interact unless kitty wants to. This will calm the cat down. Give
each some private love every day and feed them right by the gate where
they can see each other. If you do this for a while - they should both
start to calm down. Then try to take off the gate for an hour or so
when you are home. If they fight again, put it right back up. If they
can get through an hour or so without fighting, then put the gate back
up anyway, but try longer and longer intervals when you are home to
supervise. Once they can ignore each other for a few hours - you will
be pretty much out of the woods. I know it's frustrating, but don't
give up and keep working on it. In a few months, all should be well...

santa claus
December 22nd 06, 11:47 AM
wrote:
> Well ... you didn't properly introduce them and now you're paying the
> price. It is fixable

you answered to me my pet, but you mean the other guy.. we know what
you mean
yeah, he shoulda broke them in a little slower

my 2 cats don't get along right now, Im just sitting back watching the
drama
but wouldn't let any violence go down, what do I think they do when Im
not here?

lots of possibilities exist within a grudge, and we all know cats can
hold a grudge

Cats know what their going to do from the minute you cross them, they
just have to wait for the right time... they are obsessed with getting
even and keeping face...

ADeadFishDied
December 26th 06, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure you get the whole story. Elmwood, the cat, wants to kill
the dog. If she can jump the fence, there is bound to be trouble. I
will however take the gate into consideration.