PDA

View Full Version : Do cats get hot spots?

Corey Kaye
December 22nd 06, 04:22 AM
Juliet is a 9 year old DLH. She was diagnosed with IBD several years
ago and was on z/d for years. Right now she's on Innova cat food, and
has not had any digestive problems. She's an indoor kitty that doesn't
go outside ever. I have several other cats that are also all indoor-only.

Today I noticed an area under her jaw that looks inflamed and is missing
hair. The hair on borders of the area appeared to have dried blood
crusties. The hair on the borders came off with the bloody-looking
stuff when I picked at it. There is no obvious wound or place that
looks like it's been bleeding. When I was picking at it, she didn't
object, so I don't think it hurts.

Here's a picture of the area:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2523233270048290005whpCgK There
are no other areas like this. Her coat is glossy and I can't detect any
other weird skin things.

I'll call the vet and get an appointment, but I doubt I'll be able to
get in anytime soon--with the holidays and all, and we just had a wicked
storm that dumped about 3 feet of snow. Any ideas what this thing is?
How much should I be worrying? Poor kitty :(

Thanks,

Corey

mlbriggs
December 22nd 06, 06:09 AM
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:22:30 -0700, Corey Kaye wrote:

> Juliet is a 9 year old DLH. She was diagnosed with IBD several years
> ago and was on z/d for years. Right now she's on Innova cat food, and
> has not had any digestive problems. She's an indoor kitty that doesn't
> go outside ever. I have several other cats that are also all indoor-only.
>
> Today I noticed an area under her jaw that looks inflamed and is missing
> hair. The hair on borders of the area appeared to have dried blood
> crusties. The hair on the borders came off with the bloody-looking
> stuff when I picked at it. There is no obvious wound or place that
> looks like it's been bleeding. When I was picking at it, she didn't
> object, so I don't think it hurts.
>
> Here's a picture of the area:
> http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2523233270048290005whpCgK There
> are no other areas like this. Her coat is glossy and I can't detect any
> other weird skin things.
>
> I'll call the vet and get an appointment, but I doubt I'll be able to
> get in anytime soon--with the holidays and all, and we just had a wicked
> storm that dumped about 3 feet of snow. Any ideas what this thing is?
> How much should I be worrying? Poor kitty :(
>
> Thanks,
>
> Corey

Have you considered a tooth abscess or an infected gland under her tongue?

Corey Kaye
December 22nd 06, 06:19 AM
mlbriggs wrote:

> Have you considered a tooth abscess or an infected gland under her tongue?

No. Her teeth have been pronounced "perfect" by my vet, and he wonders
why none of my animals even come close to needing a dental (I think it's
the food). There doesn't appear to be anything but hair loss--some sort
of skin condition--and certainly no swelling, pain or obvious abscess.
There's certainly no drainage tract. Juliet is acting completely normal
and doesn't appear to be in any distress or pain. She's eating normally
and her weight hasn't changed. She's in good flesh, without being thin
or heavy. She's her usual "princess" self, and her attitude hasn't changed.

Did you take a look at the picture I linked?

Thank you,

Corey

Phil P.
December 22nd 06, 12:27 PM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Juliet is a 9 year old DLH. She was diagnosed with IBD several years
> ago and was on z/d for years. Right now she's on Innova cat food, and
> has not had any digestive problems. She's an indoor kitty that doesn't
> go outside ever. I have several other cats that are also all indoor-only.
>
> Today I noticed an area under her jaw that looks inflamed and is missing
> hair. The hair on borders of the area appeared to have dried blood
> crusties. The hair on the borders came off with the bloody-looking
> stuff when I picked at it. There is no obvious wound or place that
> looks like it's been bleeding. When I was picking at it, she didn't
> object, so I don't think it hurts.
>
> Here's a picture of the area:
> http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2523233270048290005whpCgK There
> are no other areas like this. Her coat is glossy and I can't detect any
> other weird skin things.

Looks like chin acne: http://maxshouse.com/Dermatology-Illus/Acne_chin_1.jpg

You might want to try cleaning her chin with veterinary betadine (5%
povidone-iodine) every day- should clear up in about a week. You might have
to clean her chin on a regular basis to prevent the acne from developing
again. Use a cotton swab. If you can't find veterinary betadine (comes in
green plastic bottle), dilute human betadine with water 50/50. Human
betadine is a 10% solution, vet betadine is 5%. If it doesn't clear up in a
few days, I'd call the vet.

If you're using plastic food & water bowls, switch to ceramic, glass, or
stainless steel.

Phil

Wendy
December 22nd 06, 01:40 PM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Juliet is a 9 year old DLH. She was diagnosed with IBD several years ago
> and was on z/d for years. Right now she's on Innova cat food, and has not
> had any digestive problems. She's an indoor kitty that doesn't go outside
> ever. I have several other cats that are also all indoor-only.
>
> Today I noticed an area under her jaw that looks inflamed and is missing
> hair. The hair on borders of the area appeared to have dried blood
> crusties. The hair on the borders came off with the bloody-looking stuff
> when I picked at it. There is no obvious wound or place that looks like
> it's been bleeding. When I was picking at it, she didn't object, so I
> don't think it hurts.
>
> Here's a picture of the area:
> http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2523233270048290005whpCgK There are
> no other areas like this. Her coat is glossy and I can't detect any other
> weird skin things.
>
> I'll call the vet and get an appointment, but I doubt I'll be able to get
> in anytime soon--with the holidays and all, and we just had a wicked storm
> that dumped about 3 feet of snow. Any ideas what this thing is? How much
> should I be worrying? Poor kitty :(
>
> Thanks,
>
> Corey

There's a chance it's feline acne. As Phil said, try stainless or ceramic
bowls. Wash the food and water bowl regularly so there isn't any oily
residue from the food and keep kitties' chin clean. If the Betadine doesn't
do the trick you can try picking up some benzoil peroxide at the pharmacy.
It can be found with the acne treatment products. Read labels and make sure
it's 2.5% NOT 10%.

blkcatgal
December 22nd 06, 04:00 PM
For feline acne, my vet recommended cleaning the infected area with a mild
soap like Phisoderm (sp?) You could try that too.

Sue

"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Juliet is a 9 year old DLH. She was diagnosed with IBD several years ago
>> and was on z/d for years. Right now she's on Innova cat food, and has
>> not had any digestive problems. She's an indoor kitty that doesn't go
>> outside ever. I have several other cats that are also all indoor-only.
>>
>> Today I noticed an area under her jaw that looks inflamed and is missing
>> hair. The hair on borders of the area appeared to have dried blood
>> crusties. The hair on the borders came off with the bloody-looking stuff
>> when I picked at it. There is no obvious wound or place that looks like
>> it's been bleeding. When I was picking at it, she didn't object, so I
>> don't think it hurts.
>>
>> Here's a picture of the area:
>> http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2523233270048290005whpCgK There are
>> no other areas like this. Her coat is glossy and I can't detect any
>> other weird skin things.
>>
>> I'll call the vet and get an appointment, but I doubt I'll be able to get
>> in anytime soon--with the holidays and all, and we just had a wicked
>> storm that dumped about 3 feet of snow. Any ideas what this thing is?
>> How much should I be worrying? Poor kitty :(
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Corey
>
> There's a chance it's feline acne. As Phil said, try stainless or ceramic
> bowls. Wash the food and water bowl regularly so there isn't any oily
> residue from the food and keep kitties' chin clean. If the Betadine
> doesn't do the trick you can try picking up some benzoil peroxide at the
> pharmacy. It can be found with the acne treatment products. Read labels
> and make sure it's 2.5% NOT 10%.

Corey Kaye
December 23rd 06, 04:13 AM
Phil P. wrote:

> Looks like chin acne: http://maxshouse.com/Dermatology-Illus/Acne_chin_1.jpg

Thanks, Phil. I didn't realize feline acne could look like this!
Juliet does have a history of mild feline acne--a few black dots under
her chin.

> You might want to try cleaning her chin with veterinary betadine (5%
> povidone-iodine) every day- should clear up in about a week. You might have
> to clean her chin on a regular basis to prevent the acne from developing
> again. Use a cotton swab. If you can't find veterinary betadine (comes in
> green plastic bottle), dilute human betadine with water 50/50. Human
> betadine is a 10% solution, vet betadine is 5%. If it doesn't clear up in a
> few days, I'd call the vet.

I'd really prefer to use chlorhexidine--any problems with cats?

I don't have anything here are home right now, but I did flush the area
with saline. It looks less red and inflamed.

> If you're using plastic food & water bowls, switch to ceramic, glass, or
> stainless steel.

Interesting. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!

Corey

Corey Kaye
December 23rd 06, 04:16 AM
Wendy wrote:

> There's a chance it's feline acne. As Phil said, try stainless or ceramic
> bowls. Wash the food and water bowl regularly so there isn't any oily
> residue from the food and keep kitties' chin clean. If the Betadine doesn't
> do the trick you can try picking up some benzoil peroxide at the pharmacy.
> It can be found with the acne treatment products. Read labels and make sure
> it's 2.5% NOT 10%.

Thanks! I hope we can resolve this with a antiseptic scrub, but if we
don't I'll certainly bring benzoil peroxide up with my vet.

:)

Corey

Corey Kaye
December 23rd 06, 04:17 AM
blkcatgal wrote:

> For feline acne, my vet recommended cleaning the infected area with a mild
> soap like Phisoderm (sp?) You could try that too.

Hmmm...I might even have some under my sink. Thanks!

Corey

Wendy
December 23rd 06, 12:56 PM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Wendy wrote:
>
>> There's a chance it's feline acne. As Phil said, try stainless or ceramic
>> bowls. Wash the food and water bowl regularly so there isn't any oily
>> residue from the food and keep kitties' chin clean. If the Betadine
>> doesn't do the trick you can try picking up some benzoil peroxide at the
>> pharmacy. It can be found with the acne treatment products. Read labels
>> and make sure it's 2.5% NOT 10%.
>
> Thanks! I hope we can resolve this with a antiseptic scrub, but if we
> don't I'll certainly bring benzoil peroxide up with my vet.
>
> :)
>
> Corey

My Isabelle had acne on her chin and next to her nose when we first got her.
I tried a lot of other things before using the benzoil peroxide but wasn't
getting results. Since I got her acne cleaned up I haven't had a recurrence.
I wash her stainless bowls in hot water and dish soap daily.

Phil P.
December 24th 06, 02:38 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Phil P. wrote:
>
> > Looks like chin acne:
http://maxshouse.com/Dermatology-Illus/Acne_chin_1.jpg

> Thanks, Phil. I didn't realize feline acne could look like this!
> Juliet does have a history of mild feline acne--a few black dots under
> her chin.
>
> > You might want to try cleaning her chin with veterinary betadine (5%
> > povidone-iodine) every day- should clear up in about a week. You might
have
> > to clean her chin on a regular basis to prevent the acne from developing
> > again. Use a cotton swab. If you can't find veterinary betadine (comes
in
> > green plastic bottle), dilute human betadine with water 50/50. Human
> > betadine is a 10% solution, vet betadine is 5%. If it doesn't clear up
in a
> > few days, I'd call the vet.
>
> I'd really prefer to use chlorhexidine--any problems with cats?

Why don't you want to use betadine? Just curious.

Lynne
December 24th 06, 02:50 AM
on Sun, 24 Dec 2006 01:38:06 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> Why don't you want to use betadine? Just curious.

Does betadine have a limited shelf life or does it last forever or near
forever? I ask because I noticed today that Rudy has some chin acne. I
have some (human) betadine that I can dilute, but it's probably nearly a
decade old.

--
Lynne

Phil P.
December 24th 06, 05:55 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sun, 24 Dec 2006 01:38:06 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:
>
> > Why don't you want to use betadine? Just curious.
>
> Does betadine have a limited shelf life or does it last forever or near
> forever? I ask because I noticed today that Rudy has some chin acne. I
> have some (human) betadine that I can dilute, but it's probably nearly a
> decade old.

I've never seen an expiration date on a bottle of betadine- but if your
bottle is more than a year old, I'd throw it out and buy a new small bottle.
Don't use benzoil peroxide- it irritates the cat.

Phil

Lynne
December 24th 06, 06:09 AM
on Sun, 24 Dec 2006 04:55:12 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> I've never seen an expiration date on a bottle of betadine- but if
> your bottle is more than a year old, I'd throw it out and buy a new
> small bottle. Don't use benzoil peroxide- it irritates the cat.

Can you buy betadine over the counter? That is probably a dumb question,
but I've only ever gotten it in the hospital.

--
Lynne

Corey Kaye
December 24th 06, 06:36 AM
Phil P. wrote:

> Why don't you want to use betadine? Just curious.

Chlorhexidine seems to work better with my horses--my vet recommends it
over betadine. And there actually seems to be several studies that show
chlorhexidine works better at a lower concentration when compared to
betadine.

(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=chlorhexidine+betadine&btnG=Google+Search)

Huh--it also seems that chlorhexidine doesn't break down in the presence
of organic matter and has a longer duration of activity. Interesting!

Also, I don't like how betadine can stain, and I like the way
chlorhexidine smells ;)

It looks like cats do just fine with chlorhexidine, so I'll bring some
home from the barn. Juliet's chin does look MUCH better today after
just a saline rinse, though. Maybe that's all she needs!

Corey

Phil P.
December 24th 06, 09:33 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sun, 24 Dec 2006 04:55:12 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:
>
> > I've never seen an expiration date on a bottle of betadine- but if
> > your bottle is more than a year old, I'd throw it out and buy a new
> > small bottle. Don't use benzoil peroxide- it irritates the cat.
>
> Can you buy betadine over the counter?

Sure. You can buy human betadine OTC at CVS and probably any pharmacy.
You'd have to order veterinary betadine from a vet supplier. Its the same
stuff- just a 5% solution instead of 10%. Its good stuff to have around.

Phil

Phil P.
December 24th 06, 09:38 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Phil P. wrote:
>
> > Why don't you want to use betadine? Just curious.
>
> Chlorhexidine seems to work better with my horses--my vet recommends it
> over betadine.

I always find a horse vet's recommendations concerning cats so reasurring.
Don't you? I hope he doesn't recommend feeding your cats hay. ;)

And there actually seems to be several studies that show
> chlorhexidine works better at a lower concentration when compared to
> betadine.

We're talking about cleaning acne on a cat's chin, not CRBSI! lol This
isn't brain surgery: just wash her chin everyday for a few days with a
little Dawn dishwashing liquid diluted in water. ok?

Lynne
December 24th 06, 04:56 PM
on Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:33:49 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> Sure. You can buy human betadine OTC at CVS and probably any pharmacy.
> You'd have to order veterinary betadine from a vet supplier. Its the same
> stuff- just a 5% solution instead of 10%. Its good stuff to have around.

I got some this morning, and interestingly enough, it's got an expiration
date. Thanks, Phil!

--
Lynne

Corey Kaye
December 24th 06, 04:59 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> I always find a horse vet's recommendations concerning cats so reasurring.
> Don't you? I hope he doesn't recommend feeding your cats hay. ;)

I was just explaining my preference.

> We're talking about cleaning acne on a cat's chin, not CRBSI! lol This
> isn't brain surgery: just wash her chin everyday for a few days with a
> little Dawn dishwashing liquid diluted in water. ok?

Actually, the saline seems to be working just fine...I'll just stick
with that until it doesn't seem to be helping. :)

Corey

Phil P.
December 25th 06, 11:23 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Phil P. wrote:
>
> > I always find a horse vet's recommendations concerning cats so
reasurring.
> > Don't you? I hope he doesn't recommend feeding your cats hay. ;)
>
> I was just explaining my preference.

I know. ;) Chlorhexidine is fine. When it comes to cats, I just have no
faith in large animal vets-- too many bad stories.

> > We're talking about cleaning acne on a cat's chin, not CRBSI! lol This
> > isn't brain surgery: just wash her chin everyday for a few days with a
> > little Dawn dishwashing liquid diluted in water. ok?
>
> Actually, the saline seems to be working just fine...I'll just stick
> with that until it doesn't seem to be helping. :)
>
> Corey

Just warm up the saline a little so it opens up the ducts and draws out the
oil. If it looks infected, use a little antiseptic. A cat's chin is loaded
with sebaceous glands and the ducts that run from the glands to the skin can
become plugged- especially if she's an older long-hair. Keeping her chin
clean with warm saline should solve the problem.

Phil

Phil P.
December 25th 06, 11:23 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:33:49 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:
>
> > Sure. You can buy human betadine OTC at CVS and probably any pharmacy.
> > You'd have to order veterinary betadine from a vet supplier. Its the
same
> > stuff- just a 5% solution instead of 10%. Its good stuff to have around.
>
> I got some this morning, and interestingly enough, it's got an expiration
> date. Thanks, Phil!

Yeah- I just found the expiration date- its on the bottom of the bottle. I
never looked for one before. The expiration date is over a year away- but a
bottle never lasts me more than a few months- if that..

Phil