PDA

View Full Version : ADIVCE ON HOW TO CATCH A OVERLY TIMID CAT

sheelagh
December 22nd 06, 03:47 PM
I have a visitor that frequents the communal feeding bowl with a
regularity that you could almost set our clock by.Unfortunately ,she is
so shy that the moment another cat arrives,she slinks away growling
with her tail between her legs.She has been coming to the bowl for
around 3months now-I happened to see her this morning up close for the
first time in over a month, & I notice that she has a collar underneath
that shag pile furr that is cutting into her neck...it looks really
sore!!
I will happily take her to the vet & ensure that she is seen to
&treated &spayed if she needs to be..My problem is how on earth can I
catch her?She won't come near the house if she knows that there is
anyone about @ all.
I noticed the posting regarding traps & considered the idea, but I am
not entirely sure that it would work for her,because she is one of
those very few cats that would rather starve,than allow a human(or
other felines) near her.I have even tried to put extra boxes out for
her in our recent freezing weather,away from all of the other cat
shelters,but she won't even entertain the idea of sleeping near other
cats either!!Nevertheless,If you do feel it would be the best Idea,then
some helpful comments would be more than appreciated asap(because of
xmas holidays ect)
I have never come across such a timid cat before & in most prior cases
I have managed to build up a trust with most of them-but in this
instance I cant afford the luxury of time to do so in this case.I
really would appreciate any idea's that anyone might have on this one?
I have already called the Rspca(Royal society for the prevention of
cruelty to animals), in to see if they can help me to catch her,but
they feel that I would have a better chance of catching her than they
would!!?Their advice was to catch her, then call them & they will take
her to a one of the local shelters-it would seem easier to catch her &
just have the work she needs doing done myself, then keep her here
until such time as I can release her again
S.

Lynne
December 22nd 06, 04:07 PM
Sheelagh, I copied this post from Phil from another thread:

--
Lynne

sheelagh
December 22nd 06, 05:51 PM
Lynne wrote:

> Sheelagh, I copied this post from Phil from another thread:
>
> on Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:02:48 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:
>
> > In your situation, since you know when the cats show up, you might
> > want to use a drop trap. Since you'll be trapping on your own
> > property, you can run the trip line through a window and trip the trap
> > from inside. Trapping cats with a drop trap is much easier and much
> > faster than using a livetrap. An additional advantage of the drop
> > trap is you can trap only the cat(s) that you want. Transferring the
> > cat to a carrier or cage is also easy. A drop trap also makes a great
> > recovery cage with plenty of room for food/water and a litter box.
> >
> > You can make a decent 3' x3' drop trap in a few hours for about $50.
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Feral/droptrap-d.jpg
> >
> > or a folding trap for a few bucks more:
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Feral/maxtrap-front-02.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Feral/maxtrap-folded.jpg

This looks like an excellent idea.I am certain that it would do the
trick in this case because I can watch her from a downstairs window &
slip the trap as soon as she enters to eat(assuming there are no other
cats around of course!).
My next question might not be so easy for you to answer though....
Has anyone got any idea where I might find a trap like this one in the
Uk?I would love to buy one as it really would come in handy for some of
the other awakward customers we get that frequent out community food
bowl.
Failing buying one,has any one got any idea where I could even borrow
one in the Uk?I have already asked mty cat protection League rep in my
are,& she told me that they don't keep them;only pens and cat
carriers... :o(
Thanks for your help Lynne.
S.

Cheryl
December 23rd 06, 03:09 AM
On Fri 22 Dec 2006 11:51:07a, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> This looks like an excellent idea.I am certain that it would do
> the trick in this case because I can watch her from a downstairs
> window & slip the trap as soon as she enters to eat(assuming
> there are no other cats around of course!).

I have no doubt that a drop trap would work, but I wonder how you
would get the cat into a carrier for vetting? Phil may have
explained before, but I probably missed it.

I'd go for a havahart trap, mostly because it doesn't require
intervention and you can keep the cat in it prior to vetting. I had
luck by putting the trap into a paper lawn refuge bag (looks like a
big paper grocery sack). It covers the trap completely and
insulates it so that it's warmer inside than outside. If you can
master how to set the trap, and place the food bait in a way that
the trap's trigger will unfailingly snap when stepped on, you have
it made. Good luck. Sounds like this girl needs your help.

--
Cheryl

addicted
December 23rd 06, 03:47 AM
sheelagh wrote:

> Failing buying one,has any one got any idea where I could even borrow
> one in the Uk?I have already asked mty cat protection League rep in my
> are,& she told me that they don't keep them;only pens and cat
> carriers... :o(
> Thanks for your help Lynne.
> S.

just get a broom and chase them off, they'll leave you alone

Wendy
December 23rd 06, 12:40 PM

http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/droptrap.pdf

> I'd go for a havahart trap, mostly because it doesn't require
> intervention and you can keep the cat in it prior to vetting. I had
> luck by putting the trap into a paper lawn refuge bag (looks like a
> big paper grocery sack). It covers the trap completely and
> insulates it so that it's warmer inside than outside. If you can
> master how to set the trap, and place the food bait in a way that
> the trap's trigger will unfailingly snap when stepped on, you have
> it made. Good luck. Sounds like this girl needs your help.
>
> --
> Cheryl

December 23rd 06, 09:14 PM
Cheryl wrote:
> I have no doubt that a drop trap would work, but I wonder how you
> would get the cat into a carrier for vetting? Phil may have
> explained before, but I probably missed it.

I take feral cats to the vet in the trap, without transferring them -
but I do use livetraps only, which are solid enough for transportation.
If you can get hold of a livetrap (sorry, I have no hints for the UK,
but I would think that the RSPCA has live traps?!?!), put a blanket
over the top to convey a feeling of safety. I trap in my yard, so I can
watch the area and chase the 'wrong' cats away. The vet will sedate the
cat in the trap and then take it out for treatment. If necessary, I
will leave the cat in my bathroom in the trap for a few hours until the
vet opens, but I never let them out of the trap. This also ensures that
the cat has not eaten if surgery is due. Tried transferring a feral cat
once, cat got out, wrecked the bathroom in total panic. I did
eventually get her inside a large dog carrier by putting on my most
sturdy clothes and welding gloves, but the panic the cat was in was way
worse than anything she needed to be had I kept her in the trap.

Best of luck Sheelagh, hope you can catch her quickly and get her
treated,

Petra

Phil P.
December 24th 06, 02:37 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Fri 22 Dec 2006 11:51:07a, sheelagh wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> oups.com>:
>
> > This looks like an excellent idea.I am certain that it would do
> > the trick in this case because I can watch her from a downstairs
> > window & slip the trap as soon as she enters to eat(assuming
> > there are no other cats around of course!).
>
> I have no doubt that a drop trap would work, but I wonder how you
> would get the cat into a carrier for vetting? Phil may have
> explained before, but I probably missed it.

Butt the transfer cage door to the trap's transfer door and raise the doors
at the same time- most cats run right into the transfer cage because they
think they're escaping from the trap. If the cat doesn't run into the cage
on her own, I use two dowels to guide her in.

If I'm using a carrier instead of a transfer cage, I butt the carrier (with
the door open) to the trap's transfer door. I remove the transfer door of
the trap and use it to block the carrier doorway after the cat goes in the
carrier. Then I slide the transfer door out as I'm closing the carrier door.
Its a lot simpler than it sounds.

> I'd go for a havahart trap,

I wouldn't recommend Havaharts--they're unreliable and poorly made.
Tru-Catch, Safeguard, and Tomahawk traps are made much better and have
better triggers. The Tru-Catch has the best trip plate of all the traps and
has more room inside than other traps the same size-- makes a better
recovery cage, too. The 36D fits inside RB 36 duffle bag perfectly- makes
an excellent trap cover and great camouflage.

Phil

sheelagh
December 24th 06, 03:22 AM

> I wouldn't recommend Havaharts--they're unreliable and poorly made.
> Tru-Catch, Safeguard, and Tomahawk traps are made much better and have
> better triggers. The Tru-Catch has the best trip plate of all the traps and
> has more room inside than other traps the same size-- makes a better
> recovery cage, too. The 36D fits inside RB 36 duffle bag perfectly- makes
> an excellent trap cover and great camouflage.
>
> Phil
Thanks Phil,I have been on the net today & I have found a trap from
some friends who happen to work for usaf,& most fortuitously it hapens
to be a a tru-catch.I am just on my way down to a base in Mildenhall
in uk to collect it before he fly's out on a posting.I really do
appreciate your input on this one.The fellow who is lending me the
traps,wife also does a bit of rescueing so happend to have a trap of
her own(& has offered to demonstrate it for me too)~I cant find any for
sale in the Uk,& I was worride about the time factor of not catching
her soon enough,because the bit around her neck looks a bit infected &
very red too.So the sooner the better on that one!
With any luck I should have it up and running tomorrow am.I have been
advised to put some warm meat out for her as it will tempt her in a bit
mopre~is this the case?(ie:micro wave her meaty chunks a bit to make
the smell more appetising?)
I am praying that she turns up by 10am like she normally does, because
the vet is still open until 6pm gtm..
I have already warned the vet to expect us,& with any luck,she should
be able to tranquize her(only), if needs be, just so that we can get
that wretched too tight collar off her asap.Whilst @ the vets,if she
needs spaying, then I will allow them to do her @ the same time~But
right now, my main concern is to get that constriciting/too small
collar off her..from where I was standing,it looks like it is
weeping,bleeding far too tight around her neck..
I will keep you up to date on her& hope to have a bit better news
tomorrow morning.
Thanks to everyone that has posted on this one-I couldn't have done it
without all of your collective help.I had no idea how to start on it at
all!Thanx loads,
S.

Phil P.
December 24th 06, 05:53 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> > I wouldn't recommend Havaharts--they're unreliable and poorly made.
> > Tru-Catch, Safeguard, and Tomahawk traps are made much better and have
> > better triggers. The Tru-Catch has the best trip plate of all the traps
and
> > has more room inside than other traps the same size-- makes a better
> > recovery cage, too. The 36D fits inside RB 36 duffle bag perfectly-
makes
> > an excellent trap cover and great camouflage.
> >
> > Phil
> Thanks Phil,I have been on the net today & I have found a trap from
> some friends who happen to work for usaf,& most fortuitously it hapens
> to be a a tru-catch.I am just on my way down to a base in Mildenhall
> in uk to collect it before he fly's out on a posting.I really do
> appreciate your input on this one.The fellow who is lending me the
> traps,wife also does a bit of rescueing so happend to have a trap of
> her own(& has offered to demonstrate it for me too)~I cant find any for
> sale in the Uk,& I was worride about the time factor of not catching
> her soon enough,because the bit around her neck looks a bit infected &
> very red too.So the sooner the better on that one!
> With any luck I should have it up and running tomorrow am.I have been
> advised to put some warm meat out for her as it will tempt her in a bit
> mopre~is this the case?(ie:micro wave her meaty chunks a bit to make
> the smell more appetising?)
> I am praying that she turns up by 10am like she normally does, because
> the vet is still open until 6pm gtm..
> I have already warned the vet to expect us,& with any luck,she should
> be able to tranquize her(only), if needs be, just so that we can get
> that wretched too tight collar off her asap.Whilst @ the vets,if she
> needs spaying, then I will allow them to do her @ the same time~But
> right now, my main concern is to get that constriciting/too small
> collar off her..from where I was standing,it looks like it is
> weeping,bleeding far too tight around her neck..
> I will keep you up to date on her& hope to have a bit better news
> tomorrow morning.
> Thanks to everyone that has posted on this one-I couldn't have done it
> without all of your collective help.I had no idea how to start on it at
> all!Thanx loads,
> S.

Just make sure you test the trigger pressure on the trip plate a few times
before you deploy the trap. Its very easy to misjudge the pressure and set
it too high. Tap the trip plate with a hanger or short stick to make sure it
trips with very little pressure.

Good luck,

Phil

sheelagh
December 24th 06, 07:07 PM

> Just make sure you test the trigger pressure on the trip plate a few times
> before you deploy the trap. Its very easy to misjudge the pressure and set
> it too high. Tap the trip plate with a hanger or short stick to make sure it
> trips with very little pressure.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Phil,
Hi
Thanks very much for all of the advice,it has all proved to be
invaluable.After a 4hour round trip last night to go and collect the
trap,I was exhausted this moring,but did test it a couple of times on
one of our own cats,until I was satisfied that I wouldn't get it
wrong,or hurt her in any way.At 9.30,I heated some canned cat meat up,
then as sure as eggs are eggs,she turned up @ 9.45 to see what was on
offer today.I waited until I could see that she was clearly in the
trap, then triggered it & went straight out to see that she was
ok.Appart from a huge amount of growling and spitting & hissing at me,I
could see that she was fine,so went back in to,call my vet,Lola.She
very kindly came straight out to me & took one look at her & asked me
to help her restrain her(I knew those welding gloves would come in
handy one day!),whilst she administered a sedative to calm her down.
Once done,Lola shaved the area so that we could see it,& as we thought,
the collar was actually embedded into the poor things neck.It appeared
to be similar to a dogs collar,having no elasticated strip mechanism to
release a bit of give if it got caught-Please everyone,note that these
are highly dangerous!!As soon as she put a bit of pressure on the
site,it exploded with puss & blood,& the abcess started to weep.I got
on with cleaning the site with warm saline soloutin,whilst she gave the
cat a shot of antibiotics, then she started to stitch the site up again
after it was thoroughly cleaned and disinfected;she also treated
another gash on her leg that was infected as well whilst she was
restrained.Poor, Poor cat!
After fitting her with a restraint collar,I asked if she was going to
take her into the clinic for observation,but she didn't think it was
nessacery,telling me that I was perfectly able to keep an eye on her,so
we put her straight out in to one of the outside runs with heated
housing,so that she doesn't feel totally threatened or is too alien to
her either.This way we can keep an eye on her,but leave her in peace
too.
The vet has left me with a weeks supply of antibiotics,& advised me to
call her if there any problems in the meantime.If not,I am to take her
back to clinic in just under a week when she will have her stitches
removed & be spayed at the same time whilst she is under anasthetic, to
kill two birds with one stone so to speak.(It looks like she has
recently weaned a litter by the look of her teats)
The cat is on a mixed wet & dry diet(antibiotics go into the wet food
because she doesn't leave a scrap!!).I have been out there a few times
just to have a quick peep @ her,& she is eating and drinking
normally,so I am really pleased with her progress.When it came time to
settle my account with Lola, she didn't charge me a single penny for
coming out or treating her either-How is that for generositiy & festive
spirit?!!!!!!! All she charged me for were the shots she had & the
antibiotics too.If there were an award for vet of the year, she would
get my vote every single time.I thanked her of course! I really was so
grateful to her.
When we take her back & she is spayed, I intend to hang on to her & If
there is any hope of rehabilitating her,I intend to keep her until she
is, then try & home her;if she is not,I have two options.Take her down
to the shelter, or release her.I am inclined to do the later of the
two.My reasoning for this is that I very much doubt that she would ever
be homed.If I release her, at least she knows where to come at dinner
time,& I can rest asurred that @ least only she will come to dinner,
rather than her & all of her offspring too for the next possible 6or so
years of breeding that she would appear to have left in her.
If you have other thoughts or ideas on this,I would gladly accept
advice.I am no expert,I just know how to care for them.
last but by no means least,thank you very much for the advice and
support that you offered Phil.I don't think that I would have actually
had the confidence to go ahead without it,& we could have lost this
little one for sure.Seaons greeting's to you & yours & to all @ the
shelter too.With Gratitude,
Sheelagh

addicted
December 24th 06, 07:33 PM
sheelagh wrote:
<snip>
With Gratitude,
> Sheelagh

whew! THANK GOD FOR PHIL

sheelagh
December 24th 06, 07:40 PM
addicted wrote:

> sheelagh wrote:
> <snip>
> With Gratitude,
> > Sheelagh
>
> whew! THANK GOD FOR PHIL

Thank god for anyone who is kind enough to give anyone the confidence
required to do something they wouldn't other wise have had the
confidence to try.
HAPPY XMAS BARRY & the furballs too,LOL!;o)
S.

Lynne
December 24th 06, 09:23 PM
on Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:07:34 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> Thanks very much for all of the advice,it has all proved to be
> invaluable

WOW, Sheelagh! GREAT WORK. That little girl is so fortunate to have
chosen your home to visit. I hate to think of how much pain she must have
been enduring with that collar embedded in her neck. It makes me sick to
think that someone put a collar like that on a cat and abandoned her. What
a lovely thing you have done, your vet, too!

--
Lynne

sheelagh
December 24th 06, 10:49 PM

> > Thanks very much for all of the advice,it has all proved to be
> > invaluable
>
> WOW, Sheelagh! GREAT WORK. That little girl is so fortunate to have
> chosen your home to visit. I hate to think of how much pain she must have
> been enduring with that collar embedded in her neck. It makes me sick to
> think that someone put a collar like that on a cat and abandoned her. What
> a lovely thing you have done, your vet, too!
>
> --
Thank you for your kind words Lynne,but to be honest, the real hero's
are the ones that inspired me to me believe in myself,& the vet who so
kindly did the real work for no fee too.I am just glad as you say that
the right cat came to right community feeding bowl,& that I didn't foul
the whole operation up !!Lola was brilliant too-not any old vet would
be so kind as to do that,would they?
As I type, she is fast asleep & oblivious to the happy ending she has
caused.I wouldn't have been able to live with myself knowing that I
didn't interveen if you understand what I mean?
I hope that you have an excellent day tomorrow too with you and your's
and your feline family too,
Hugs n stuff,
Sheelagh

addicted
December 25th 06, 02:09 AM
sheelagh wrote:

> Thank you for your kind words Lynne,but to be honest, the real hero's
> are the ones that inspired me to me believe in myself

how sickening

why can't you just be yourself

I have no idea what sheelagh is saying in any of her posts
I have no idea what sheelagh thinks about stuff or anything

you got ****ing toilet paper hanging from your skirt, your press-ons
are due!
your roots are showing, your peg leg is losing its suction

CAN ANYBODY BE REAL?

poor thing, all she wanted was a friend

bookie will be your friend

if you want friends sheelagh, it starts with being yourself

this way, ITS NOT TIRESOME TO BE AROUND YOU

Cheryl
December 25th 06, 03:05 AM
On Sat 23 Dec 2006 06:40:51a, Wendy wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>:

>> I have no doubt that a drop trap would work, but I wonder how you
>> would get the cat into a carrier for vetting? Phil may have
>> explained before, but I probably missed it.
>

> http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/droptrap.pdf

Thanks, Wendy. Excellent description, and brilliant design.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
December 25th 06, 03:07 AM
On Sat 23 Dec 2006 08:37:39p, Phil P. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:DRkjh.1870$%[email protected]>:

> Butt the transfer cage door to the trap's transfer door and
> raise the doors at the same time- most cats run right into the
> transfer cage because they think they're escaping from the trap.
> If the cat doesn't run into the cage on her own, I use two
> dowels to guide her in.

After seeing the design, it looks simple! Good to know.

> If I'm using a carrier instead of a transfer cage, I butt the
> carrier (with the door open) to the trap's transfer door. I
> remove the transfer door of the trap and use it to block the
> carrier doorway after the cat goes in the carrier. Then I slide
> the transfer door out as I'm closing the carrier door. Its a lot
> simpler than it sounds.
>>
>> I'd go for a havahart trap,
>
> I wouldn't recommend Havaharts--they're unreliable and poorly
> made. Tru-Catch, Safeguard, and Tomahawk traps are made much
> better and have better triggers. The Tru-Catch has the best trip
> plate of all the traps and has more room inside than other traps
> the same size-- makes a better recovery cage, too. The 36D fits
> inside RB 36 duffle bag perfectly- makes an excellent trap cover
> and great camouflage.

I haven't used any other type, but good to know there are others.
Thanks for the explanation.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
December 25th 06, 03:16 AM
On Sun 24 Dec 2006 01:07:34p, sheelagh wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com>:

> Thanks very much for all of the advice,it has all proved to be
> invaluable.After a 4hour round trip last night to go and collect
> the trap,I was exhausted this moring,but did test it a couple of
> times on one of our own cats,until I was satisfied that I
> wouldn't get it wrong,or hurt her in any way.At 9.30,I heated
> some canned cat meat up, then as sure as eggs are eggs,she
> turned up @ 9.45 to see what was on offer today.I waited until I
> could see that she was clearly in the trap, then triggered it &
> went straight out to see that she was ok.Appart from a huge
> amount of growling and spitting & hissing at me,I could see that
> she was fine,so went back in to,call my vet,Lola.She very kindly
> came straight out to me & took one look at her & asked me to
> help her restrain her(I knew those welding gloves would come in
> handy one day!),whilst she administered a sedative to calm her
> down. Once done,Lola shaved the area so that we could see it,&
> as we thought, the collar was actually embedded into the poor
> things neck.It appeared to be similar to a dogs collar,having no
> elasticated strip mechanism to release a bit of give if it got
> caught-Please everyone,note that these are highly dangerous!!As
> soon as she put a bit of pressure on the site,it exploded with
> puss & blood,& the abcess started to weep.I got on with cleaning
> the site with warm saline soloutin,whilst she gave the cat a
> shot of antibiotics, then she started to stitch the site up
> again after it was thoroughly cleaned and disinfected;she also
> treated another gash on her leg that was infected as well whilst
> she was restrained.Poor, Poor cat!

<snip>

Congrats! It just takes a little persuasion when you're clearly an
animal lover such as yourself. You couldn't let that poor cat
suffer and you did what you had to do to get her, and you got her
quickly. Kudos to you and your vet for her pro bono work on this
cats behalf.

Turns out to be a very happy holiday for her and for you. And for
those of us reading. Thank you.

--
Cheryl

Phil P.
December 25th 06, 11:56 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> > Just make sure you test the trigger pressure on the trip plate a few
times
> > before you deploy the trap. Its very easy to misjudge the pressure and
set
> > it too high. Tap the trip plate with a hanger or short stick to make
sure it
> > trips with very little pressure.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Phil,
> Hi
> Thanks very much for all of the advice,it has all proved to be
> invaluable.After a 4hour round trip last night to go and collect the
> trap,I was exhausted this moring,but did test it a couple of times on
> one of our own cats,until I was satisfied that I wouldn't get it
> wrong,or hurt her in any way.At 9.30,I heated some canned cat meat up,
> then as sure as eggs are eggs,she turned up @ 9.45 to see what was on
> offer today.I waited until I could see that she was clearly in the
> trap, then triggered it

I don't understand. If you were using a Tru-Catch the cat would have
triggered the trap when she stepped on the trip plate- you didn't have to
tigger it. How did you trigger it??

> [...]
> is, then try & home her;if she is not,I have two options.Take her down
> to the shelter, or release her.I am inclined to do the later of the
> two.My reasoning for this is that I very much doubt that she would ever
> be homed.If I release her, at least she knows where to come at dinner
> time,& I can rest asurred that @ least only she will come to dinner,
> rather than her & all of her offspring too for the next possible 6or so
> years of breeding that she would appear to have left in her.
> If you have other thoughts or ideas on this,I would gladly accept
> advice.I am no expert,I just know how to care for them.
> last but by no means least,thank you very much for the advice and
> support that you offered Phil.I don't think that I would have actually
> had the confidence to go ahead without it,& we could have lost this

Great news! Well done! You've probably saved her life- and many more lives
after she's neutered.

Phil

sheelagh
December 25th 06, 01:13 PM

> > one of our own cats,until I was satisfied that I wouldn't get it
> > wrong,or hurt her in any way.At 9.30,I heated some canned cat meat up,
> > then as sure as eggs are eggs,she turned up @ 9.45 to see what was on
> > offer today.I waited until I could see that she was clearly in the
> > trap, then triggered it
>

> I don't understand. If you were using a Tru-Catch the cat would have
> triggered the trap when she stepped on the trip plate- you didn't have to
> tigger it. How did you trigger it??

I have just read through it again,& now understand why you thought I
triggered it.I should have said, once she was fully inside, *she
triggered it* whilst I watched from the kitchen window,lol!My
mistake,soz!
Just been out to see her again, & she pressed against the wall of the
pen,but wasn't nearly so angry today &allowed me to fill her bowl,then
fell on it with with a favour & passion too,which also means she took
this mornings antibiotics fine which is brill news isn't it?
> & went straight out to see that she was

> Great news! Well done! You've probably saved her life- and many more lives
> after she's neutered.
Hey thanks,but never forget that it was you that gave me the confidence
to try!
I will give you updates as it happens too.Have a good xmas!
Sheelagh
> Phil

addicted
December 25th 06, 02:44 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> I don't understand.

read with your heart, not your eyes
she's thick fingered Phil, don't make her conscientious about it

sheelagh
December 25th 06, 02:49 PM
addicted wrote:
> Phil P. wrote:
>
> > I don't understand.
>
> read with your heart, not your eyes
> she's thick fingered Phil, don't make her conscientious about it
Thank you Barry:o)
S.

addicted
December 25th 06, 03:50 PM
sheelagh wrote:

> > she's thick fingered Phil, don't make her conscientious about it
> Thank you Barry:o)
> S.

I see you found the cap lock key

lmao

I LOVE IT
DON'T PAY ME NO MIND

I GOTTA GET DRESSED AND TRUCK ACROSS THE RIDGE TO DINNER

it's raining, so I have to cover up my truck load of presents. JUST
KIDDING

WE AIN'T GOT NO GAS CAUSE WE AINT GOT NO MONEY

i thought about stealing some money last night, but then I pictured
sitting in the downtown jail. so I just came on back to the house. you
know.. take a sledge hammer to a few pay phones! (i was riding around
with a sledge hammer, lmao)

sheelagh
December 25th 06, 03:59 PM
addicted wrote:
> sheelagh wrote:
>
> > > she's thick fingered Phil, don't make her conscientious about it
> > Thank you Barry:o)
> > S.
>
> I see you found the cap lock key
yup!
> lmao
>
> I LOVE IT
> DON'T PAY ME NO MIND
I won't from now on.I know you just love it...winding people up keeps
you smiling, the trick is not to fall for it...I took me a couple of
weeks to figure it out,but I'm there now:o)
> I GOTTA GET DRESSED AND TRUCK ACROSS THE RIDGE TO DINNER
you can come here if you want to, just don't use British Airways-I
think they are still 3days behind on flights<loadsa very angry people
in london right now>
> it's raining, so I have to cover up my truck load of presents. JUST
> KIDDING
It took all of 10minutes to kill a years hard savings this morning,I
think it cou;ld be either a bit overated,or we simply lost the true
meaning nower days!
> WE AIN'T GOT NO GAS CAUSE WE AINT GOT NO MONEY
>
> i thought about stealing some money last night, but then I pictured
> sitting in the downtown jail. so I just came on back to the house. you
> know.. take a sledge hammer to a few pay phones! (i was riding around
> with a sledge hammer, lmao)
I am ever so glad you didn't, your cops sound pretty mean over there
when it comes to tolerance for antisocial behaviour-am I right?
S.

Phil P.
December 29th 06, 02:53 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> > > one of our own cats,until I was satisfied that I wouldn't get it
> > > wrong,or hurt her in any way.At 9.30,I heated some canned cat meat up,
> > > then as sure as eggs are eggs,she turned up @ 9.45 to see what was on
> > > offer today.I waited until I could see that she was clearly in the
> > > trap, then triggered it
> >

> > I don't understand. If you were using a Tru-Catch the cat would have
> > triggered the trap when she stepped on the trip plate- you didn't have
> > tigger it. How did you trigger it??
>
> I have just read through it again,& now understand why you thought I
> triggered it.I should have said, once she was fully inside, *she
> triggered it* whilst I watched from the kitchen window,lol!My
> mistake,soz!

No- its my mistake. Your statement was clear.

I asked how you triggered the trap because some people have trouble setting
the trigger bar on Tru-Catch traps and just prop open the trap door with a
stick with a string tied around it. When the cat enters the trap they pull
the stick out and the door closes. This is easy to do with Tru-Catch traps
because the trap door is attached to the end of the trap and opens all the
way out. With other traps, the trap door is almost completely inside the
trap.

> Just been out to see her again, & she pressed against the wall of the
> pen,but wasn't nearly so angry today &allowed me to fill her bowl,then
> fell on it with with a favour & passion too,which also means she took
> this mornings antibiotics fine which is brill news isn't it?

I guess so! ;)

> > & went straight out to see that she was
>

> > Great news! Well done! You've probably saved her life- and many more
lives
> > after she's neutered.
> Hey thanks,but never forget that it was you that gave me the confidence
> to try!

Don't sell yourself short. You had the motivation and desire followed with
effort and determination.

> I will give you updates as it happens too.Have a good xmas!
> Sheelagh

Thanks. I did- and a belated Merry Christmas to you.

Phil

Lynne
December 29th 06, 06:10 PM
on Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:53:47 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> Don't sell yourself short. You had the motivation and desire followed
> with effort and determination.

worth repeating!

--
Lynne

sheelagh
December 29th 06, 10:29 PM

> > Don't sell yourself short. You had the motivation and desire followed
> > with effort and determination.
>
> worth repeating!
>
> --
> Lynne
Thanks Lynne.
I have just been out there to go and see how she is doing.She looks
good.We go tommorow to have the rest of the stitches taken out.I am
looking forward to seeing how she gets on once they are out.I have
decided not to let her go just yet too.I was worride that I wasn't
getting anywhere with this young lady....but just when I was about to
throw the towel in,she came up to me today as I took her fresh water &
food, & she must have had an incling of what I was thinking cuz she
gave me a nice little head butt then a semi leg weave before backing
off & waiting for the food to be put down.Antibiotics are all finished
now as well.

Once the horride neck lamp comes off( the thing that the vet uses to
stop her nibbeling at her wounds?Any idea what they are called?).The
kids have called her Lucy(furr),ROFLOL.
She iss much better with my little girl for some reason.Maybe an adult
has hurt her in the past?She does not like men, that is for sure!!I
think I sam going to keep Lucy(furr) for another week and see how it
goes, then take it from there.....

OT.I was reading about your little girl,.I hope that she gets better
soon too.Cant have been much fun spending the whole holiday indoors?
S:o)

sheelagh
December 29th 06, 10:54 PM
> > > I don't understand. If you were using a Tru-Catch the cat would have
> > > triggered the trap when she stepped on the trip plate- you didn't have
> > > tigger it. How did you trigger it??
> >
> > I have just read through it again,& now understand why you thought I
> > triggered it.I should have said, once she was fully inside, *she
> > triggered it* whilst I watched from the kitchen window,lol!My
> > mistake,soz!
>
> No- its my mistake. Your statement was clear.
>
> I asked how you triggered the trap because some people have trouble setting
> the trigger bar on Tru-Catch traps and just prop open the trap door with a
> stick with a string tied around it. When the cat enters the trap they pull
> the stick out and the door closes. This is easy to do with Tru-Catch traps
> because the trap door is attached to the end of the trap and opens all the
> way out. With other traps, the trap door is almost completely inside the
> trap.
>

> > Just been out to see her again, & she pressed against the wall of the
> > pen,but wasn't nearly so angry today &allowed me to fill her bowl,then
> > fell on it with with a favour & passion too,which also means she took
> > this mornings antibiotics fine which is brill news isn't it?
>
> I guess so! ;)
>

> > > & went straight out to see that she was
> >

> > > Great news! Well done! You've probably saved her life- and many more
> lives
> > > after she's neutered.
> > Hey thanks,but never forget that it was you that gave me the confidence
> > to try!
>
> Don't sell yourself short. You had the motivation and desire followed with
> effort and determination.
>

> > I will give you updates as it happens too.Have a good xmas!
> > Sheelagh
>
> Thanks. I did- and a belated Merry Christmas to you.
>
> Phil
Hi, thanks and same to you too.

I was just telling Lynne that we take her to have her stitches took out
tomorrow.I was on the verge of letting her go tomorrow, but when I went
in to see how she was today & to give her the last of her antibiotic's,
she stood out of the way very politley,allowed me right in, then must
have read my mind...Then she gave me tiny little head butt, then a semi
leg weave & got on with her food.She is being spayed tomorrow too.

After I take her to clinic tomorrow,I have decided to keep her for a
further few day's,possibly a week, to see how she gets on.I think that
she could do with the rest and recovery time, & hopefully she might
even calm down a bit further .My kids all help with the cats, & they
have given her a name-we couldn't keep calling her cat!!So they came up
with Lucy(furr!!)It seemed so apt & made me laugh too:o)So,
Lucy(furr),It is.

Tilly, my youngest one(10),seems to have devleoped a good relationship
with her now.L will allow her to pet her & even sit down in the run
with her whilst she eats, then she purr's her little head off, for
Tilly.I figured that one more week wouldn't hurt her or us either for
that matter, & If she manages to calm down just a little bit more, then
I will be happy to release her & allow her to come and go as she
pleases.As long as she is spayed, then there is only her to think
about;rather than her & her the feeding of the 25,000 kittens too.

She is now frontlined,wormed with drontal & combed through by Tilly I
might add.Her future Is looking a bit brighter as each day passes.I
can't help but feel a little bit more optomistic that we might even
manage to rehome her too.I had a lady come by today who wanted a
kitten, but when she saw Lucy(furr),she asked about her.I have
explained that she has a few issue's to work through & she is prepared
to give her a month to see If we can get her to accept *being belonged
to*..Owned would be an inapropriate word I think.
Here is to high hopes for her!!
Thanks Phil.
S:o)

Lynne
December 29th 06, 11:23 PM
on Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:29:20 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> I have just been out there to go and see how she is doing.She looks
> good.We go tommorow to have the rest of the stitches taken out.I am
> looking forward to seeing how she gets on once they are out.I have
> decided not to let her go just yet too.I was worride that I wasn't
> getting anywhere with this young lady....but just when I was about to
> throw the towel in,she came up to me today as I took her fresh water &
> food, & she must have had an incling of what I was thinking cuz she
> gave me a nice little head butt then a semi leg weave before backing
> off & waiting for the food to be put down.Antibiotics are all finished
> now as well.

I'm so glad she is healing and coming around to realize that some humans
are trustworthy! I still cannot believe someone left that poor girl with
a collar that she couldn't escape and also one that would become too
small for her as she grew. ARGH!

> Once the horride neck lamp comes off( the thing that the vet uses to
> stop her nibbeling at her wounds?Any idea what they are called?)

E-collar, where the e in this case stands for Elizabethan (as opposed to
electronic). They are also called cone collars sometimes, and probably a
lot of other stuff, too.

> The
> kids have called her Lucy(furr),ROFLOL.

I LOVE THAT NAME! I wanted to name Rudy Lucifer but my daughter wouldn't
hear of it.

> She iss much better with my little girl for some reason.Maybe an adult
> has hurt her in the past?She does not like men, that is for sure!!I
> think I sam going to keep Lucy(furr) for another week and see how it
> goes, then take it from there.....

I wonder if it's just the size of your daughter that makes her feel less
threatened? Roxy, my dog, is very wary of men in our home, even though I
know for a fact she has never been abused by one. I think their size
intimidates her. (Oddly, when we are out--no matter where--nothing
intimidates her!)

> OT.I was reading about your little girl,.I hope that she gets better
> soon too.Cant have been much fun spending the whole holiday indoors?
> S:o)

Thank you, Sheelagh. We found out yesterday that on top of the mono she
also has strep throat. She started antibiotics last evening and is
starting to perk up a bit. Thank goodness! Her holiday has been
miserable and it truly sucks being stuck at home, but now that her fever
is down and she's eating a bit, I'm feeling more relaxed. :)

--
Lynne

sheelagh
December 30th 06, 06:19 AM
Lynne wrote:
> on Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:29:20 GMT, "sheelagh"
> > wrote:
>
> > I have just been out there to go and see how she is doing.She looks
> > good.We go tommorow to have the rest of the stitches taken out.I am
> > looking forward to seeing how she gets on once they are out.I have
> > decided not to let her go just yet too.I was worride that I wasn't
> > getting anywhere with this young lady....but just when I was about to
> > throw the towel in,she came up to me today as I took her fresh water &
> > food, & she must have had an incling of what I was thinking cuz she
> > gave me a nice little head butt then a semi leg weave before backing
> > off & waiting for the food to be put down.Antibiotics are all finished
> > now as well.
>
> I'm so glad she is healing and coming around to realize that some humans
> are trustworthy! I still cannot believe someone left that poor girl with
> a collar that she couldn't escape and also one that would become too
> small for her as she grew. ARGH!
>
> > Once the horride neck lamp comes off( the thing that the vet uses to
> > stop her nibbeling at her wounds?Any idea what they are called?)
>
> E-collar, where the e in this case stands for Elizabethan (as opposed to
> electronic). They are also called cone collars sometimes, and probably a
> lot of other stuff, too.
>
> > The
> > kids have called her Lucy(furr),ROFLOL.
>
> I LOVE THAT NAME! I wanted to name Rudy Lucifer but my daughter wouldn't
> hear of it.
>
> > She iss much better with my little girl for some reason.Maybe an adult
> > has hurt her in the past?She does not like men, that is for sure!!I
> > think I sam going to keep Lucy(furr) for another week and see how it
> > goes, then take it from there.....
>
> I wonder if it's just the size of your daughter that makes her feel less
> threatened? Roxy, my dog, is very wary of men in our home, even though I
> know for a fact she has never been abused by one. I think their size
> intimidates her. (Oddly, when we are out--no matter where--nothing
> intimidates her!)
>
> > OT.I was reading about your little girl,.I hope that she gets better
> > soon too.Cant have been much fun spending the whole holiday indoors?
> > S:o)
>
> Thank you, Sheelagh. We found out yesterday that on top of the mono she
> also has strep throat. She started antibiotics last evening and is
> starting to perk up a bit. Thank goodness! Her holiday has been
> miserable and it truly sucks being stuck at home, but now that her fever
> is down and she's eating a bit, I'm feeling more relaxed. :)
>
> --
> Lynne

Good.I am ever so Pleased to hear that.With 5of my own, I know only too
well what It is like to have a sick little one when everyone else seems
to be partying.You can't help but worry, can you?Hopefuly within 24
hours of the antibiotics, she should turn the corner once they kick in
& she will start to feel a lot better too.At least she has the moggies
to help her out & keep her all wsarm & furry as well.There is nothing
that can beat a real live hot water bottle & that gives you cuddles &
strokes you also,is there?It is just a shame about the holiday's, but
as cheryl point's out,I am sure that she will make up for It this time
next year.I think this is the first year for a many a year that no one
had toothache, tonsilitis, or ear ache for a change ,so we did pretty
well there.

> I wonder if it's just the size of your daughter that makes her feel less
> threatened? Roxy, my dog, is very wary of men in our home, even though I
> know for a fact she has never been abused by one. I think their size
> intimidates her. (Oddly, when we are out--no matter where--nothing
> intimidates her!)

You could be right there.I hadn't thought of that one.I assumed( as we
all do from time to time), that someone has let her down big time~ as
you say, fancy putting a collar on that had no extension
elastication?!!!BLOOMING IDIOTS...I am just pleased that Phil gave me
the inspiration to at least try,because things are looking so much
better now than they were around a week ago.I had got to the stage
where I thought I was just going to have to count my losses & allow her
to roam free again-so It is a huge ego boost that she is finally
accepted that we won't hurt her, & only want to help her If we can.

> > The
> > kids have called her Lucy(furr),ROFLOL.
Yes, I thought It was rather funny too.Isn't It strange what the kids
come up with.She is jet black,so lucifer would have bween rather apt,
but when Tilly came out with that one, I just thought "perfect",lol :o)
get it...? god I am so not funny-Purr-fect :o)

Presently got Ringo on my lap, wating for me to go and make a cup of
tea, so that he can drink the sweet bit left In the bottom of the
cup-He nakes me leave at least 1/2 a cup full, so that he can get his
big fat muzzel in & still reach it too.
Well, It is 05.00am over here, so It is time I crashed out for a
littlel while before I end up nose down on the Pc-It wouldn't be the
first time,I assure you!

We have 80miles per hour wind over here right now & It is howling with
rain too.Poor old Pussy cats haven't got a clue whats happeneing so
they are holed up hiding all over the house, except for the braver
one's, such as Ringo spice & Lilly too.I think I am going to have to
seperate her later.Taz Is doing his pre-mating dance in front of her, &
she keeps swiping him one around the chops,so It would appear I had
better move her out for a little while until she stops calling.Maybe
later in the year I will allow her to have a supervised mating so that
she can have a smaller litter with Biffy.I have some really nice homes
lined up, but I would rather wait until the ringworm incident is well
and truely out of the way before even consider it.I could sure do with
the cash injection to help out with all of the other projects that we
have running presently...a new run would help out no end as we have no
room left at the Inn,lol!!
Hope your little girl gets a lot better very soon,
S.

Ginger Rose
December 30th 06, 09:44 AM
Hello "S" I also had the same problem myself, It was a" Beautiful"
stray Angora long hair female kitten about 6 months old,I didn't want to
see her get hit by a car or something. I got one of those "Live traps"
from a Farm Feed & grain store, and used Can Catfood like 9 lives,and
place the Catfood to the" back of the trap" where the kitten would trip
the trap closed.Just make sure that it is the desired kitten you
catch,not another cat when the kitten is around because the suprise
would be lost and the kitten too. "Another Warning" When and If you
catch her or him and bring it into the house to release,Its going to act
like a "Tasmainian Devel" because it is "Scared as hell" the poor thing,
Have No-other pets and Children around to get scratched and bitten
because it my have rabies or not,you don't know, take it to a small room
with little to hide and that can catch her again by hand." Wear
Protective Gloves and Clothes" so you wont get scratched and bit.Work
Slow,and be kind to her,"Shes Scared" and so would you if you would be
her right?. When you tale her out gently,Pet her slowly till she calms
down,and give her food and talk to her softly,Shes got to build a trust
in you that you won't hurt her,and in Danger.Warm milk helps alot.
~Ginger~

Ginger Rose
December 30th 06, 10:34 AM
Hi Sheelagh, Please disregard my message,I didn't realize that you have
cought the kitten untill I read the message later.I am glad that there
was a happy ending to this,and that the kitten/cat is doing fine for
now,Perhaps if you would goahead and have her spaded,she would stand a
better chance of getting a new home,and better for her health aswell.
Goodluck. ~Ginger~

Ginger Rose
December 30th 06, 10:45 AM
Oh Sheelagh, Please dont place her in a Animal Shelter if they dont get
a home in a serten amount of time,They put them to DEATH They can't
afford to keep animals for the rest of thier lives.I don't know about
England,but Sadly thats the way it is in America. Please try to find a
loving home on your own. ~Ginger~

sheelagh
December 30th 06, 06:14 PM
Ginger Rose wrote:
> Oh Sheelagh, Please dont place her in a Animal Shelter if they dont get
> a home in a serten amount of time,They put them to DEATH They can't
> afford to keep animals for the rest of thier lives.I don't know about
> England,but Sadly thats the way it is in America. Please try to find a
> loving home on your own. ~Ginger~

Hi Ginger,
Thankyou for your posting,It Is brilliant to read most of them, & I
have had some excellent support throughout this one.
I will try and bring you up to speed with what has happened so far
,very briefly.
I caught her In a Tru Trap that a very kind Usaf american family lent
to me.As you say, Once caught,she was like a true Tasmanian Devil.(As I
think I said in an early posting,I knew those welding gloves would come
in handy one day, & true to form, they did,lol:o).
Once caught, she went ballistic, but I put her into our extension, then
called the vet.Even though It was so close to xmas, she came out to see
us & In true festive spirit, didn't even charge me a single penny for
coming out, or the consultation fee either-all I had to pay for, were
the drugs that she administered & the anibiotics that she left with me,
to treat her with in the coming week.

Rest assured that when I spoke of taking her to a shelter, that in UK,
we have many shelters that do not believe in killing cats that are
un-homable.(one such group would be the cat protection League).I would
*never* have dreamt of taking her anywhere that would have possibly
euthanaised her.In any case,Now that she has been with us for a week,
She has now officially been downgraded to a Lucy(furr),get it...lol?She
is much improved in nature, even though It has only been such a short
time.She seems to respond to my youngest daughter (10!) best, so this
morning when It was time to take her to the vets to go and have her
spayed(I think that you might call it desexed?)...we all voted her as
the best candidate to break the news to her & try & get her into the
dog basket.Tilly managed to do this with the minimum of fuss too.
Having got to the vets clinic, we took her in & I got my trusty welding
gloves out & helped restrain her whilst they administered an anasthetic
to her so that they could remove her stitches in her neck @ the same
time as spaying her too.I was asked to wait in the waiting room whilst
the opreation was performed-So Now I know how my partner felt when he
had to wait outside the operating theater when 3of our children were
born;the other two he attended because they were planned c.sections.

The operation went very well indeed, & we are asked to leave her there
for a few hours for observation,just to make sure that she didn't start
chewing at the site where she had the stitches taken out & the collar
was embedded into her poor little neck , & also to make sure that she
had no adverse effect's from the anasthetic.A few hours later, we
picked her up & brought her straight home.Sice bringing her home, we
have put her back into her run & I have bee doing 1/2 hourly check's on
her to make sure that all is well.. & I notice that she is drinking
well & but not so very intersested in food, but who can blame her?I am
sure that she must be feeling extreemly sore!I have also noted that she
is passing urine with no problems, but no bowel movements yet,probably
due to lack of food because we starved her in view of her being
spayed.I feel sure that her appetite will return with fervour soon
though as she has a very healthy appetetite indeed..

Having spoken to our vet, she recommend's that we keep her in the pen
for a further week to ensure that there are no post operative problems
such as infection, and suchlike.This is no problem as we do have the
room to spare at the moment anyway..& also I think my daughter would
most vociferous had I suggested any differently!!

Now that she has started to respond to us in a positive manner, It is
my intention to try and get her to accept all of us without fear, in
the hope that I might be able to re-home her with a lady that came to
see me yesterday about adopting a kitten.I asked her if she was willing
to take a look at her, & she agreed to.After seeing her & her wonderful
black shinny coat & huge green eye's too, she has decided that she is
prepared to wait for a month and see how we get on with her.Having
never owned a cat before, I can see that I will have to educate both of
them to accept each other & also how to love each other too, just until
It comes naturally to both parties.

I had intended to let her loose & just allow her to come over for
dinner every day & to stay if she wished to.I had no problem with
letting her loose again because she is so obviously an outdoor cat &
used to things such as traffic, & even nasty humans too.But If this
lady is willing to accept her, then It would be the best mutual answer
for all parties involved.I have invited this lady to visit her as often
as she wishes to so that they can become aquainted with each other as
much as possible so that when Lucy(furr!) is ready, she can can go home
with this lady who happens to live about 6miles away in a village,
nearby.

I intend to keep her out in the pen for a another few day's, then allow
her to start coming indoors by this time next week, so that she can get
used to the idea of being indoors again.
It is also worth mentioning that when the previous owner of this little
young lady got her, there must have been some caring involved, because
the collar that we removed looked extreemly expensive, If inapropriate
for her.I just think that It is a shame that it came to
this.Nevertheless, I am certain that It will be possible to rehome
her,& now we even have a possible owner who want's her too.I couldn't
have asked for a better ending to such a sorry story really, could
I?Thanks for the input and advice all the same though:o)
Sheela

catface
January 2nd 07, 05:07 AM
I'm so glad you take the trouble to keep us updated on her progress. So
many times, there's just silence on the posts after all he advice thas
been given. Now there's at least the satisfaction of knowing the poor
thing has been taken care of. Such stories haunt me if I don't know how
they ended. I'm so glad she found you and got a second chance.