PDA

View Full Version : cat with infected bite

bob
December 23rd 06, 08:17 PM
I have a semi feral female, 3 yrs old (spayed, vaccinated). 2 wks ago she
got 2 nickel sized bites on her hind hip area and took her to the vet. He
said they were infected and abscessed and he gave her a shot of antibiotic,
shot of anti-inflammatory and a wk's worth of antibiotic pills (which she
took in food every day, no problem).

Fur has now grown over the affected areas and she looks/behaves fine to me.
Energetic, eats well, etc. Does this mean the infection is most likely gone?

bob

December 23rd 06, 08:37 PM
bob wrote:
> I have a semi feral female, 3 yrs old (spayed, vaccinated). 2 wks ago she
> got 2 nickel sized bites on her hind hip area and took her to the vet. He
> said they were infected and abscessed and he gave her a shot of antibiotic,
> shot of anti-inflammatory and a wk's worth of antibiotic pills (which she
> took in food every day, no problem).
>
> Fur has now grown over the affected areas and she looks/behaves fine to me.
> Energetic, eats well, etc. Does this mean the infection is most likely gone?
>
> bob

Short and simple: Yes!

The above is exactly the treatment my outdoor cats get when he comes
home with a (cat)bite, which of course he hides so well that rarely do
I notice it until it gets infected. He was always fine after a week of
antibiotics. It's usually good to keep the wound open for 2-3 days by
flushing it if feasible, but antibiotics only will work fine in most
cases if the infection is not too severe.