PDA

View Full Version : my gandmas cat--a story


Michael Lane
December 24th 06, 02:31 PM
About 40 years ago my Grandmother had a Tom cat. She never bought cat
food etc. She always fed this old Tom in a cast iron skillet on the back
porch, menu every day was biscuits & gravy.
Well this old Tom took off Tomming for about three weeks or so. We
thought he was dead as he had never done this before. Well one day as
my grandmother was cooking dinner I was looking out the window across
the fields ( we lived on a farm) & lo & behold here comes that old Tom.
He was beat up, dirty, skinny as a rail, he just looked terrible . I sez
to her " Grandma, Here comes your old cat & he looks like heck." She
made him fresh gravy & crumbled up biscuits & put out for him. My
Grandmother sure was happy to see that old cat . Well a few minutes
later I looked out the door & that old Tom had fell plum asleep while
eating them biscuits & gravy & his face was nose down in the gravy. I
thought he had died, from suffocation. I got his head up & cleared his
nose & tried to blow in his mouth, don't know if it helped but he woke
up .

Michael Lane

" in vino veritas "
Pliny 100 A D

addicted
December 24th 06, 03:08 PM
Michael Lane wrote:
I got his head up & cleared his
> nose & tried to blow in his mouth, don't know if it helped but he woke


I know the old skool did what they could and what they thought was
right
but I couldn't live off of refined white flour and grease everyday

he left to find food he could live on

but bless your grandma for giving what she had, that's what christmas
is all about

mlbriggs
December 24th 06, 06:09 PM
On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:31:28 -0600, Michael Lane wrote:

> About 40 years ago my Grandmother had a Tom cat. She never bought cat
> food etc. She always fed this old Tom in a cast iron skillet on the back
> porch, menu every day was biscuits & gravy.
> Well this old Tom took off Tomming for about three weeks or so. We
> thought he was dead as he had never done this before. Well one day as
> my grandmother was cooking dinner I was looking out the window across
> the fields ( we lived on a farm) & lo & behold here comes that old Tom.
> He was beat up, dirty, skinny as a rail, he just looked terrible . I sez
> to her " Grandma, Here comes your old cat & he looks like heck." She
> made him fresh gravy & crumbled up biscuits & put out for him. My
> Grandmother sure was happy to see that old cat . Well a few minutes
> later I looked out the door & that old Tom had fell plum asleep while
> eating them biscuits & gravy & his face was nose down in the gravy. I
> thought he had died, from suffocation. I got his head up & cleared his
> nose & tried to blow in his mouth, don't know if it helped but he woke
> up .
>
> Michael Lane
>
> " in vino veritas "
> Pliny 100 A D


At that time, you were his savior. Do you know the rest of his story?
In the very "old days" we fed our cats, raw liver and nickle sardines>
For your information, in those days you could buy a big can of sardines
for 5 cents I suspect they supplemented their diet with mice, rats and
birds, which seemed plentiful because there was lots of open ground and
old, old houses. MLB
By the way, in those days, the butcher would give the liver for free or a
penny.

addicted
December 24th 06, 06:32 PM
mlbriggs wrote:
I suspect they supplemented their diet with mice, rats and
> birds

that's a very good point
i guess the old Toms visits to OP's grandma proves that cats are social
animals
(not to mention biscuit and gravy, mmmm)