PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please/sick cat (?)

Gene Martin
December 25th 06, 06:17 AM
Because of the holiday week-end my vet is closed till Tuesday (one more
whole day!) as is ihe other vets I called and I am worried sick. My six
year old male cat urinated Fri. a.m. and nothing else for the day.. He
is acting perfectly normal, eating as usual but he had no BM.
So Fri. I gave him Laxatone. Sat. he urinated once and had a tiny BM. I
then gave him a vet's prescription laxative. He had one normal BM Sunday
but no urine and now I'm giving him the laxative again
I don't know how I'll get thru tomorrow!.. He's acting normal, drinking
his usual amount of water (about 2 ounces). eating his usual amount of
wet food (Which is quite watery) but as of now he's only urinated twice
in 3 days.
I need some prayers and encouragemwnt to get me thru tomorrow. The one
near-by emergency hospital I try to avoid unless he acts sick because of
a bad experience my friend had with her cat there.
Any opinions what it might be?
I'm a desparate kitty Mommy!

addicted
December 25th 06, 06:55 AM
Gene Martin wrote:

> I need some prayers and encouragemwnt to get me thru tomorrow. The one
> near-by emergency hospital I try to avoid unless he acts sick because of
> a bad experience my friend had with her cat there.
> Any opinions what it might be?
> I'm a desparate kitty Mommy!

Hi Gene, sorry bout the troubles

How old is your cat?

you're right, this sounds like a matter for your vet

seems like your vet would have given you an emergency alternative?

best to yous

addicted
December 25th 06, 07:02 AM
Gene Martin wrote:
> Because of the holiday week-end my vet is closed till Tuesday (one more
> whole day!) as is ihe other vets I called and I am worried sick. My six
> year old male cat urinated Fri. a.m. and nothing else for the day.. He
> is acting perfectly normal, eating as usual but he had no BM.
> So Fri. I gave him Laxatone. Sat. he urinated once and had a tiny BM. I
> then gave him a vet's prescription laxative. He had one normal BM Sunday
> but no urine and now I'm giving him the laxative again
> I don't know how I'll get thru tomorrow!.. He's acting normal, drinking
> his usual amount of water (about 2 ounces). eating his usual amount of
> wet food (Which is quite watery) but as of now he's only urinated twice
> in 3 days.
> I need some prayers and encouragemwnt to get me thru tomorrow. The one
> near-by emergency hospital I try to avoid unless he acts sick because of
> a bad experience my friend had with her cat there.
> Any opinions what it might be?
> I'm a desparate kitty Mommy!

did you feed him lots of ham?
it's a valid question, ham will make kitty retain water... and ham salt
will move water from the bowels to more vital organs to protect them
from salt.. did you feed him anything different pro-ceeding his
constipation?

Spot
December 25th 06, 02:10 PM
If he's not urinating he has to go to the vet asap. A blocked male cat can
die from a block in less than 24 hours. He needs to be seen ASAP. I would
find an emergency vet right away.

Celeste

"Gene Martin" > wrote in message
> Because of the holiday week-end my vet is closed till Tuesday (one more
> whole day!) as is ihe other vets I called and I am worried sick. My six
> year old male cat urinated Fri. a.m. and nothing else for the day.. He
> is acting perfectly normal, eating as usual but he had no BM.
> So Fri. I gave him Laxatone. Sat. he urinated once and had a tiny BM. I
> then gave him a vet's prescription laxative. He had one normal BM Sunday
> but no urine and now I'm giving him the laxative again
> I don't know how I'll get thru tomorrow!.. He's acting normal, drinking
> his usual amount of water (about 2 ounces). eating his usual amount of
> wet food (Which is quite watery) but as of now he's only urinated twice
> in 3 days.
> I need some prayers and encouragemwnt to get me thru tomorrow. The one
> near-by emergency hospital I try to avoid unless he acts sick because of
> a bad experience my friend had with her cat there.
> Any opinions what it might be?
> I'm a desparate kitty Mommy!

Gene Martin
December 31st 06, 07:14 AM
I want to thank those people who answered my plea.I did give him ham
and he urinated once each day and the laxative worked. I was at the
vet's early Tues. a.m.He checked out fine (minimal amounts in bladder
and bowels. And from the exam on he went back to his normal routine!
I get upset very quickly if my cat isn't well. My last cat was 4 years
old when a stone blocked her kidneys. I borrowed $5,000 for her
operation and care. She recovered fine and was a happy, healthy cat. She
was supposed to be checked every three months tho. Her narvelous vet
retired without warning. I took her in to the replacement vet. He said
everything was fine. The bill said he gave her two shots. I said what
for? He said one was a vitamin shot. He didn't know what the second shot
was or who on staff gave it to her! Next gay I had a very sick cat. I
rushed her to a cat hopital but they couldn't save her . She had to be
put down.
I guess because of the circumstances they didn't want to tell me what
happened to her but her liver was destroyed. It's 4 years and I still
have not gotten over it. Now I worry over the slightest thing with my