PDA

View Full Version : introduction and a question

nay
December 27th 06, 03:02 PM
Hi Everyone,
my name is Nay and I have 5 wonderful babies. All of them were stray
and they are all boys mind you. there names are

Kitty Boy, Mogus Mogi, Chappy, Storm and Mikey.

I love my babies, they are like children. we have moved house and now
they have to remain indoors for a while to get use to the area. I feel
so bad because they always use to roam around freely. the stray dog
problem got a bit much at our old place and my babies were under
terrible stress so we had to move. Now that we are here, I have
noticed that their nails are very long? I am afraid to trim as I know
there are tiny little veins in those nails. any advice?

Outsider
December 27th 06, 04:42 PM
"nay" > wrote in news:[email protected]
79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

> Hi Everyone,
> my name is Nay and I have 5 wonderful babies. All of them were stray
> and they are all boys mind you. there names are
>
> Kitty Boy, Mogus Mogi, Chappy, Storm and Mikey.
>
> I love my babies, they are like children. we have moved house and now
> they have to remain indoors for a while to get use to the area. I feel
> so bad because they always use to roam around freely. the stray dog
> problem got a bit much at our old place and my babies were under
> terrible stress so we had to move. Now that we are here, I have
> noticed that their nails are very long? I am afraid to trim as I know
> there are tiny little veins in those nails. any advice?

It is pretty easy but will vary by how your cats mind you messing with
their feet. First buy a pair of cat nail clippers. There are many
helpful places on the web with pictures to help such as this one:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/cat_nails.asp

By the way, many many years ago my first cat had to switch from
indoor/outdoor to indoor only and she handled it just fine so you may be
over worrying there.

Good luck with your little family!

Andy

cybercat
December 27th 06, 07:26 PM
"Outsider" > wrote in message
. ..
> "nay" > wrote in news:[email protected]
> 79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>> my name is Nay and I have 5 wonderful babies. All of them were stray
>> and they are all boys mind you. there names are
>>
>> Kitty Boy, Mogus Mogi, Chappy, Storm and Mikey.
>>
>> I love my babies, they are like children. we have moved house and now
>> they have to remain indoors for a while to get use to the area. I feel
>> so bad because they always use to roam around freely. the stray dog
>> problem got a bit much at our old place and my babies were under
>> terrible stress so we had to move. Now that we are here, I have
>> noticed that their nails are very long? I am afraid to trim as I know
>> there are tiny little veins in those nails. any advice?
>>

> It is pretty easy but will vary by how your cats mind you messing with
> their feet. First buy a pair of cat nail clippers. There are many
> helpful places on the web with pictures to help such as this one:
>
> http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/cat_nails.asp

And get a friend to help you! That makes all the difference.

sheelagh
December 28th 06, 07:36 PM
> And get a friend to help you! That makes all the difference.

Once you have managed to get a friend to help you cut them,you might
think about getting some really inexpensive things that do not look too
bad,& that your feline family will appreciate too.They will help your
baby's keep thier claw's down & probably save a few nice pieces of
furniture as well.

I also have a very multi cat household,so appreciate your problem.Until
4years ago,I used to allow all of my cat's to go free
range,However,after collecting Biffy our fat Birman who was 6months old
at that time,I was asked not to allow him to roam, because he had never
been outside before & had no concept of what outdoor was,not to mention
cars and finding his way home again.

One of the best & cheapest things I have found to date, Is old bit's of
tree Trunk.If you know of a tree surgeon,ask him to hang on to a few
bit's of trunk about 8inches in diameter & 3foot high so that they
don't just pull it right over.They don't look too bad, & having being
used to going outside prior to moving, they will be familiar with them,
& no doubt used them before too.They don't look horredous either.You
can also use several of them & they don't take up too much room.

Another old favourite Is an old wicker basket for laundry or
suchlike.If you wieght It down with sand & cover It with a bit of Mdf &
stick that In place, they will also use It for sitting on as
well.Again..It doesn't look terrible, or out of place In certain area's
either.
I don't know about you, but I find that conventional cat scratching
posts get worn out In no time at all & It costs a fortune to re-sissal
them too!The little feline furniture-killer's appreciate them no end
also..

Even an old bit of wooden plank about 4" high, 12"across each
way,covered In a carpet sample on all sides seems to draw them to
It.Once It starts looking tacky, just make another one

I found that once we got Biff, that I used to find shed claw's all over
the carpet's.I have never asked this question before.If anyone out
there knows ,Is this perfectly normal, & why does It happen? Is It akin
to a snake shedding It's skin from time to time?

---MIKE---
December 28th 06, 07:56 PM
I collect and save the shed claws in a jar. The jar is about half full
now. I also save shed whiskers.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Outsider
December 28th 06, 08:30 PM
(---MIKE---) wrote in news:10626-4594134A-40
@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net:

> I collect and save the shed claws in a jar. The jar is about half full
> now. I also save shed whiskers.
>

> ---MIKE---
>>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I collect Zak's hair when I brush him. Some day when I have enough I will
weave a new cat.

o:)

Lynne
December 28th 06, 11:01 PM
on Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:56:10 GMT, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

> I collect and save the shed claws in a jar. The jar is about half full
> now. I also save shed whiskers.

may I ask why?

--
Lynne

December 28th 06, 11:14 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Thu, 28 Dec 2006 18:56:10 GMT, (---MIKE---)
> wrote:
>
>> I collect and save the shed claws in a jar. The jar is about half full
>> now. I also save shed whiskers.
>
> may I ask why?
>
> --

You may. Just don't ask him why he keeps using webtv. It sets him off.

Lynne
December 28th 06, 11:39 PM
on Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:14:22 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> You may. Just don't ask him why he keeps using webtv. It sets him off.

Oh that is my next question!

--
Lynne

bookie
December 29th 06, 10:03 PM
Outsider wrote:
> (---MIKE---) wrote in news:10626-4594134A-40
> @storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net:
>
> > I collect and save the shed claws in a jar. The jar is about half full
> > now. I also save shed whiskers.
> >

> > ---MIKE---
> >

> I collect Zak's hair when I brush him. Some day when I have enough I will
> weave a new cat.

I was told once to put shed hair from my cats after i have brushed or
combed them out into the garden so that the birds can use it for
bedding intheir nests. Not sure whether they do use it but i still do
this in spring when they start moulting a lot of hair

bookie
December 29th 06, 10:04 PM
Outsider wrote:
> (---MIKE---) wrote in news:10626-4594134A-40
> @storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net:
>
> > I collect and save the shed claws in a jar. The jar is about half full
> > now. I also save shed whiskers.
> >

> > ---MIKE---
> >

> I collect Zak's hair when I brush him. Some day when I have enough I will
> weave a new cat.

I was told once to put shed hair from my cats after i have brushed or
combed them out into the garden so that the birds can use it for
bedding intheir nests. Not sure whether they do use it but i still do
this in spring when they start moulting a lot of hair

---MIKE---
December 30th 06, 01:37 AM
I save the claws and whiskers because I can. I use webtv because I can.
I also save Amber's fur from brushing - because I can.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Lynne
December 30th 06, 01:53 AM
on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:37:48 GMT, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

> I save the claws and whiskers because I can. I use webtv because I can.
> I also save Amber's fur from brushing - because I can.

I don't really care one way or the other about webtv, honestly. But as to
the claws, whiskers and fur, are you OCD? Not judging, just curious.

--
Lynne

bookie
December 30th 06, 02:54 AM
Lynne wrote:
> on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:37:48 GMT, (---MIKE---)
> wrote:
>
> > I save the claws and whiskers because I can. I use webtv because I can.
> > I also save Amber's fur from brushing - because I can.
>
> I don't really care one way or the other about webtv, honestly. But as to
> the claws, whiskers and fur, are you OCD? Not judging, just curious.

do you know what OCD stands for and what the disorder actually is? very
doubtful that it would manifest itself in the collecting of shed hairs
and claws from one's pet, certainly no recorded cases of it to date.

Lynne
December 30th 06, 03:46 AM
on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 01:54:53 GMT, "bookie" >
wrote:

> do you know what OCD stands for and what the disorder actually is? very
> doubtful that it would manifest itself in the collecting of shed hairs
> and claws from one's pet, certainly no recorded cases of it to date.

uh, collecting/hoarding can most definitely be symptoms of OCD.

--
Lynne

Lynne
December 30th 06, 03:48 AM
on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 02:46:21 GMT, Lynne >
wrote:

> on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 01:54:53 GMT, "bookie" >
> wrote:
>
>> do you know what OCD stands for and what the disorder actually is? very
>> doubtful that it would manifest itself in the collecting of shed hairs
>> and claws from one's pet, certainly no recorded cases of it to date.
>
> uh, collecting/hoarding can most definitely be symptoms of OCD.

in fact, here's a citation for you. See the 4th bullet:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/ocd/progress.html

--
Lynne

bookie
December 30th 06, 05:09 AM
Lynne wrote:
> on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 02:46:21 GMT, Lynne >
> wrote:
>
> > on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 01:54:53 GMT, "bookie" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> do you know what OCD stands for and what the disorder actually is? very
> >> doubtful that it would manifest itself in the collecting of shed hairs
> >> and claws from one's pet, certainly no recorded cases of it to date.
> >
> > uh, collecting/hoarding can most definitely be symptoms of OCD.
>
> in fact, here's a citation for you. See the 4th bullet:
>
> http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/ocd/progress.html

it is not the major defining symptom of someone with OCD, and he would
have to be displaying other behaviours before I would even consider
asking him if he had such a disorder. I hoard stuff myself, i can't
bear to throw stuff away cos you never know when it may be useful in
future, and i have thrown things away in the past and be caught out by
it (forms for things, old insurance policies, stuff). It is all in a
pile on my desk or on the dining room table or in crates in random
corners and not methodically stored in a specific and ordered way as a
sufferer of OCD would have it. I keep things also cos I can't be
bothered to throw them away or put them in order, but it doesn't mean I
have OCD.
My brother had it for a long time when he was a teenager, still does
have it to some degree (he was a 'checker' classic for a pubescent
male) and knowing how debilitating it is for a sufferer and their
family it is not a diagnosis i would make about someone lightly or
flippantly on a newsgroup

Lynne
December 30th 06, 05:17 AM
on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 04:09:48 GMT, "bookie" >
wrote:

> it is not the major defining symptom of someone with OCD, and he would
> have to be displaying other behaviours before I would even consider
> asking him if he had such a disorder. I hoard stuff myself, i can't
> bear to throw stuff away cos you never know when it may be useful in
> future, and i have thrown things away in the past and be caught out by
> it (forms for things, old insurance policies, stuff). It is all in a
> pile on my desk or on the dining room table or in crates in random
> corners and not methodically stored in a specific and ordered way as a
> sufferer of OCD would have it. I keep things also cos I can't be
> bothered to throw them away or put them in order, but it doesn't mean I
> have OCD.
> My brother had it for a long time when he was a teenager, still does
> have it to some degree (he was a 'checker' classic for a pubescent
> male) and knowing how debilitating it is for a sufferer and their
> family it is not a diagnosis i would make about someone lightly or
> flippantly on a newsgroup

I never implied that hoarding was a defining symptom of OCD or diagnosed
Mike as having OCD--I simply asked the question. It was a valid
question, too, as people with OCD who hoard tend to collect things that
would normally be considered trash and thrown away. Note I said "tend
to."

I'm not sure why you are so bent out of shape and defensive over this.
It's not like OCD is something to be ashamed of. It's a disorder, not a
character flaw. Yeah, it's tough to deal with, but we all have our
crosses to bear.

--
Lynne

bookie
December 30th 06, 10:19 PM
Lynne wrote:
> on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 04:09:48 GMT, "bookie" >
> wrote:
>
> > it is not the major defining symptom of someone with OCD, and he would
> > have to be displaying other behaviours before I would even consider
> > asking him if he had such a disorder. I hoard stuff myself, i can't
> > bear to throw stuff away cos you never know when it may be useful in
> > future, and i have thrown things away in the past and be caught out by
> > it (forms for things, old insurance policies, stuff). It is all in a
> > pile on my desk or on the dining room table or in crates in random
> > corners and not methodically stored in a specific and ordered way as a
> > sufferer of OCD would have it. I keep things also cos I can't be
> > bothered to throw them away or put them in order, but it doesn't mean I
> > have OCD.
> > My brother had it for a long time when he was a teenager, still does
> > have it to some degree (he was a 'checker' classic for a pubescent
> > male) and knowing how debilitating it is for a sufferer and their
> > family it is not a diagnosis i would make about someone lightly or
> > flippantly on a newsgroup
>
> I never implied that hoarding was a defining symptom of OCD or diagnosed
> Mike as having OCD--I simply asked the question. It was a valid
> question, too, as people with OCD who hoard tend to collect things that
> would normally be considered trash and thrown away. Note I said "tend
> to."
>
> I'm not sure why you are so bent out of shape and defensive over this.
> It's not like OCD is something to be ashamed of. It's a disorder, not a
> character flaw. Yeah, it's tough to deal with, but we all have our
> crosses to bear.

because i don't like it when people use such terms in such a throwaway
fashion, it almost belittles those people who do have to live with it,
and it is rather more just a 'cross to bear' it can seriously affect
someone's quality of life, stop them having a proper life, can cause
them a hell of a lot of misery and distress as it controls their lives
and they can do nothing about it, and not just theirs but their
families as well.

it may not be someone to be ashamed of but it is certainly not
something to be flippant about.

amzing how a discussion about cats can stray into so many other areas,
who would have thought it?

> --
> Lynne
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/

Lynne
December 31st 06, 01:04 AM
on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:19:56 GMT, "bookie" >
wrote:

> it may not be someone to be ashamed of but it is certainly not
> something to be flippant about.

I wasn't being flippant. You read my words how you read them, not
necessarily how I write them. That is pretty common on Usenet, and it
always will be. Another Universal Truth of this format of communication
is that you can't control what people write or thier intentions, only
your own reaction to what they write. Your reactions here tell me quite
a few things about you, by the way, but I'll refrain from saying what
they are.

My suggestion to you is to

1) either chill out (or how do you like to put that, pull the pole out of
your arse?), or

2) go on and keep trying to control what other people say. Then you will
find yourself with high blood pressure or worse, on top of your other
problems.

Of course you can also always use the old standby the killfile. I know I
apply it very liberally, and am about to do so again.

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure." --
Mark Twain

nay
December 31st 06, 02:58 AM
> "First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure." --
> Mark Twain

ha ha ha ha - from cats to ocd ?! wow what a jump. we cat people are
really a cute bunch. I hear a hissing and a gnarling going on, I see
swishing claws and narrowed eyes....play nice kitties, play nice -
mummy has tuna if you are good. (joke) :-)

Lynne
December 31st 06, 03:25 AM
on Sun, 31 Dec 2006 01:58:13 GMT, "nay" > wrote:

> mummy has tuna if you are good.

prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!