PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Kathy
December 27th 06, 02:13 PM
We have a 13-year-old female cat, B.K., who turned up on our doorstep
when she was about 1 year old, pregnant. She was semi-feral, fed by
people who lived across the street to stay around and catch mice, but
not really socialized. I let her in and she just stayed. She was not
hostile in any way and loved being petted, but could never tolerate
being picked up or handled in any way. She had her kittens and we found
homes for them at the approprate time, and had her neutered. She would
go in and out of the house for about a year, but then decided she wanted
to stay inside all the time and that's how it's been for the last 11 or
so years. She is very sweet, no trouble at all, but still can't tolerate
being handled at all, other than petting.

One of her eyes seemed to be watering a lot and my son took her to the
vet last Saturday. He prescribed antibiotic drops - 1 drop twice a day.
We are finding it impossible to accomplish this task - she fights it so
hard. My son is covered with bites and scratches and I don't think
we've managed to hit the target with a drop many times. Does anyone
have any advice? Thanks.

Kathy

PawsForThought
December 27th 06, 03:44 PM
Kathy wrote:My son is covered with bites and scratches and I don't
think
> we've managed to hit the target with a drop many times. Does anyone
> have any advice? Thanks.
>
> Kathy

Hi Kathy,
There are a couple of things you can do. Firstly, you can take a towel
and wrap up the cat, burrito like, with only her head showing.
Second, you can buy a Klaw Kontrol Bag. You place the cat in there,
and zip it up. My vet uses these for blood draws and they work great.
Also great for trimming claws. You would think being in there would
stress the cat, but for some reason, it actually seems to make the cat
calmer. Here's a place you can purchase from:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3159&N=2002+113036

Hope this helps,

Lauren

Kathy
December 27th 06, 04:02 PM
PawsForThought wrote:
> Kathy wrote:My son is covered with bites and scratches and I don't
> think
>
>>we've managed to hit the target with a drop many times. Does anyone
>>have any advice? Thanks.
>>
>>Kathy
>

> Hi Kathy,
> There are a couple of things you can do. Firstly, you can take a towel
> and wrap up the cat, burrito like, with only her head showing.
> Second, you can buy a Klaw Kontrol Bag. You place the cat in there,
> and zip it up. My vet uses these for blood draws and they work great.
> Also great for trimming claws. You would think being in there would
> stress the cat, but for some reason, it actually seems to make the cat
> calmer. Here's a place you can purchase from:
>
> http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3159&N=2002+113036
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Lauren

Thank you so much, Lauren. We'll try the towel first. Maybe Petco or
Pet Smart will have the Klaw Kontrol bag if the towel method doesn't work.

Kathy

cybercat
December 27th 06, 04:56 PM
"Kathy" > wrote: He prescribed antibiotic drops - 1 drop
twice a day.
> We are finding it impossible to accomplish this task - she fights it so
> hard. My son is covered with bites and scratches and I don't think we've
> managed to hit the target with a drop many times. Does anyone have any
> advice? Thanks.

Roll her in a thick towel with just her head poking out. Lay her on the
floor on her side
and gently but firmly place your hand on the side of her face, behind her
jaw, and hold
her head immobile against the floor. (This way she cannot bite you and she
is still so
that the drop can go in that eye.) Roll her over and repeat. Needless to
say, you are
holding and moving her, your son is applying the drops. Or vice versa. this
works for
nail clipping too.

Kathy
December 27th 06, 10:20 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Kathy" > wrote: He prescribed antibiotic drops - 1 drop
> twice a day.
>
>>We are finding it impossible to accomplish this task - she fights it so
>>hard. My son is covered with bites and scratches and I don't think we've
>>managed to hit the target with a drop many times. Does anyone have any
>>advice? Thanks.
>>

> Roll her in a thick towel with just her head poking out. Lay her on the
> floor on her side
> and gently but firmly place your hand on the side of her face, behind her
> jaw, and hold
> her head immobile against the floor. (This way she cannot bite you and she
> is still so
> that the drop can go in that eye.) Roll her over and repeat. Needless to
> say, you are
> holding and moving her, your son is applying the drops. Or vice versa. this
> works for
> nail clipping too.

Lauren suggested the towel-wrapping also, and it worked like a charm.
Once she was all wrapped up, she stopped struggling and my son was able
to hold her eye open and get a bulls-eye, so to speak. thanks so much
you guys.

Kathy

Lynne
December 27th 06, 10:24 PM
on Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:20:56 GMT, Kathy > wrote:

> Lauren suggested the towel-wrapping also, and it worked like a charm.
> Once she was all wrapped up, she stopped struggling and my son was able
> to hold her eye open and get a bulls-eye, so to speak. thanks so much
> you guys.

I suggest treating both eyes, since it's not uncommon for eye infections to
sure you know this but I'll say it anyway: be very careful not to touch the
tip of the bottle to anything.

--
Lynne

December 27th 06, 10:35 PM
"Kathy" > wrote

> Lauren suggested the towel-wrapping also, and it worked like a charm.

I should have read ahead before I made my post!

> Once she was all wrapped up, she stopped struggling and my son was able to
> hold her eye open and get a bulls-eye, so to speak. thanks so much you
> guys.

Glad it worked and that you are so dedicated to helping her. Hope her eye
gets better.