PDA

View Full Version : Mike the cat has unknown illness...

December 28th 06, 08:39 PM
We love our Mikey cat so much, but the vet can't figure out what is
wrong. He is such a good boy.

Mikey cat has been lethargic and anorexic; he vomits about every other
day.

His feces often times (not always) smell like feces and vomit, they
have a very heavy, dull, pungent smell (this is recent) - sometimes
they are formed and sometimes they aren't. His coat seems scruffier
than usual.

He doesn't want to eat or drink much, but will do both sometimes,
especially after having a Prednisone (which was a last resport to get
him to eat and drink).

He is losing weight and has been on 5mg of Prednisone for about 2
weeks. The vet has done lab work; the lab work comes back normal and
within range execpt for the ALT (liver enzyme maybe) was very slightly
elevated, but the Dr. said that wasn't diagnostic.

Our cat Mike is a 10 year old DSH and we love him so much. He is
mostly indoor but does go outside for short outings daily. He cries
inconsolably a lot and seems to not want to jump like he used to.

He will still purr at times, he sleeps more than usual for him. We
don't know what to do and are so worried; can anybody suggest anything?
We're thinking the next steps may be an MRI or Ultrasound but they are
so expensive and we have already spent a lot of money trying to get
diagnosed and the vet (who has been a good vet) doesn't seem to be able
to figure it out yet.

We love him so much; he is our best friend - if you have any
suggestion, please post here or email us - it would be greatly
appreciated.

Lesley
December 28th 06, 11:56 PM
wrote:
> We love our Mikey cat so much, but the vet can't figure out what is
> wrong. He is such a good boy.

> Our cat Mike is a 10 year old DSH and we love him so much. He is
> mostly indoor but does go outside for short outings daily. He cries
> inconsolably a lot and seems to not want to jump like he used to.

The crying makes me wonder if he's hyper (or hypo) thyroid..I've heard
(no experience of it myself) that it can be a sign of the above- both
treatable.

Ask the vet to make sure but it sounds like you have a good vet and you
are a good slave for taking such care of him.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

December 30th 06, 05:17 AM
Thanks lesley -

Yes, he did have hyperthyroid, which is being treated - his heart rate
is normal now--as for these other issues nothing turns up, but they
gave him a steriod shot and subcu hydration and potassium, he is better
for now. Hopefully it wills tay that way, but it hasn't in the past...

Thanks for your help

Lesley wrote:
> wrote:
> > We love our Mikey cat so much, but the vet can't figure out what is
> > wrong. He is such a good boy.
>

> > Our cat Mike is a 10 year old DSH and we love him so much. He is
> > mostly indoor but does go outside for short outings daily. He cries
> > inconsolably a lot and seems to not want to jump like he used to.
> >
> The crying makes me wonder if he's hyper (or hypo) thyroid..I've heard
> (no experience of it myself) that it can be a sign of the above- both
> treatable.
>
> Ask the vet to make sure but it sounds like you have a good vet and you
> are a good slave for taking such care of him.
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Wendy
January 1st 07, 12:05 AM
"Gandalf" > wrote in message
> On 28 Dec 2006 11:39:02 -0800, wrote:
>
>>We love our Mikey cat so much, but the vet can't figure out what is
>>wrong. He is such a good boy.
>>
>>Mikey cat has been lethargic and anorexic; he vomits about every other
>>day.
>>
>> His feces often times (not always) smell like feces and vomit, they
>>have a very heavy, dull, pungent smell (this is recent) - sometimes
>>they are formed and sometimes they aren't. His coat seems scruffier
>>than usual.
>>
>>He doesn't want to eat or drink much, but will do both sometimes,
>>especially after having a Prednisone (which was a last resport to get
>>him to eat and drink).
>>
>> He is losing weight and has been on 5mg of Prednisone for about 2
>>weeks. The vet has done lab work; the lab work comes back normal and
>>within range execpt for the ALT (liver enzyme maybe) was very slightly
>>elevated, but the Dr. said that wasn't diagnostic.
>>
>> Our cat Mike is a 10 year old DSH and we love him so much. He is
>>mostly indoor but does go outside for short outings daily. He cries
>>inconsolably a lot and seems to not want to jump like he used to.
>>
>>He will still purr at times, he sleeps more than usual for him. We
>>don't know what to do and are so worried; can anybody suggest anything?
>>We're thinking the next steps may be an MRI or Ultrasound but they are
>>so expensive and we have already spent a lot of money trying to get
>>diagnosed and the vet (who has been a good vet) doesn't seem to be able
>>to figure it out yet.
>>
>>We love him so much; he is our best friend - if you have any
>>suggestion, please post here or email us - it would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>
> If you haven't already, try posting this in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behavior
>
> The flame wars keep me away, but there are some very knowledgable people
> there, who may have run into something similar, or have suggestions.
>
> It's worth a try, and you won't get flamed for not taking Mike to the
> vet. (Amazing number of posts: My cat is sick and doing xyz. what is
> wrong?) Those get flamed.
>
> Vet bills can mount at a staggering pace with extended testing, so you
> have my sympathy there. It would be nice if money weren't a concern, but
> for most of us, it is, unfortunately.
>
> Best wishes for a speedy resolution for poor Mike. He sounds pretty
> sick, and unhappy, of course.
>
> I wish I could be of more help.

I'd definitely take this over to rec.pets.cats.health+behavior. As was said
they do tend to have limited patience with those who haven't spent a dime on
the cat and post with dire symptoms but in this case the cat has seen the
vet and they are stumped. There are people over there who have cats with
thyroid issues so they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Gandalf
January 1st 07, 12:56 PM