PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthyroid cat

Andrew M. Saucci, Jr.
December 29th 06, 03:41 AM
I'm in a difficult situation and was wondering what others would do.
My cat is 14 years old. I took him to a vet about six months ago and he was
diagnosed with a hyperthyroid condition. I was given the usual choice of
Tapazole, radiation, or surgery. We've tried the pills but the cat is still
vomiting three times a day (why we took him in the first place) and getting
thinner and thinner (although he still has healthy bowel movements besides).
The other problem is that he has always been a bit headstrong. The first
time I took him to the vet he must have been very sick and/or unacquainted
with vets because they were actually able to take him out of the carrying
case without a problem. The second time they would not take him out because
he was ready to attack; my mother had to leave him there and he was somehow
sedated while they did the tests. The third time the vet simply would not
examine him and we just got a refill for the Tapazole. My point is not to
beat up on the vet, but it does leave me in a pickle-- I don't even know if
they'll euthanize him unless he's practically three-quarters dead to start.
I already had the sad experience of watching a cat die in my bedroom at 2 AM
and I don't know if I want to go through that again. I'm tempted to try the
radiation but if my vet won't even chance taking him out of the box maybe
the vet who does the radiation won't either. I also hate the thought of
leaving him for a week or even ten days (the figure I was given)-- he loves
me to pieces and probably would think I'd abandoned him. And while I have
plenty of money for my little friend if it will help him I wonder if I'll
just be giving the cat a few extra months of low-quality life for a large
expenditure. Any suggestions?

Andrew

22brix
December 29th 06, 06:46 AM
Tapazole can make cats nauseated. Several years ago, one of my cats was on
Tapazole pills but they made her so nauseated. My vet eventually gave me a
prescription to have it compounded by a pharmacist into a paste that I would
apply to her ear--it's absorbed through the skin and doesn't seem to have
the GI effects of the oral med. She tolerated that very well--no nausea or
vomiting and it really helped her. Once her thyroid levels came down she had
surgery and did fine for several years until she passed away of other
causes. If your vet hasn't tried that, you might ask him about it.

Bonnie

"Andrew M. Saucci, Jr." > wrote in message
t...
> I'm in a difficult situation and was wondering what others would
> do.
> My cat is 14 years old. I took him to a vet about six months ago and he
> was
> diagnosed with a hyperthyroid condition. I was given the usual choice of
> Tapazole, radiation, or surgery. We've tried the pills but the cat is
> still
> vomiting three times a day (why we took him in the first place) and
> getting
> thinner and thinner (although he still has healthy bowel movements
> besides).
> The other problem is that he has always been a bit headstrong. The first
> time I took him to the vet he must have been very sick and/or unacquainted
> with vets because they were actually able to take him out of the carrying
> case without a problem. The second time they would not take him out
> because
> he was ready to attack; my mother had to leave him there and he was
> somehow
> sedated while they did the tests. The third time the vet simply would not
> examine him and we just got a refill for the Tapazole. My point is not to
> beat up on the vet, but it does leave me in a pickle-- I don't even know
> if
> they'll euthanize him unless he's practically three-quarters dead to
> start.
> I already had the sad experience of watching a cat die in my bedroom at 2
> AM
> and I don't know if I want to go through that again. I'm tempted to try
> the
> radiation but if my vet won't even chance taking him out of the box maybe
> the vet who does the radiation won't either. I also hate the thought of
> leaving him for a week or even ten days (the figure I was given)-- he
> loves
> me to pieces and probably would think I'd abandoned him. And while I have
> plenty of money for my little friend if it will help him I wonder if I'll
> just be giving the cat a few extra months of low-quality life for a large
> expenditure. Any suggestions?
>
> Andrew

bob
December 30th 06, 07:23 PM
find a vet who's not even afraid of ferals and knows how to grip/restrain
the cat while examining..i have 3 ferals and even a young girl vet had no
trouble handling them, giving vaccines, exams, pills, etc...

once you find that vet, listen to his advice - if he can be treated, great,
but if he has little quality of life left, let him go because when it's time
it's time -- hard as it may be.

bob