PDA

View Full Version : Bloody paw

Corey Kaye
December 30th 06, 03:12 AM
I came home this evening to find Celia running around terrified with a
plastic grocery bag around her middle. No clue where she picked it
up--I try to bring home paper bags and toss any plastic bags I do get.

After I was finally able to catch her, I noticed she'd peed on herself
:( When I was rinsing her off, there was quite a bit of red in the
water. Upon closer inspection, she's worn her claws on one hind foot to
nubs and has dried blood on the foot.

I'll call the vet in the AM (he has Saturday hours) but this doesn't
seem to warrant an emergency call. Is there anything I can do to make
her more comfortable tonight? Should I set her up with something other
than the clumping litter I usually use?

Poor kitty :(

Corey

Outsider
December 30th 06, 03:41 AM
Corey Kaye > wrote in
:

> I came home this evening to find Celia running around terrified with a
> plastic grocery bag around her middle. No clue where she picked it
> up--I try to bring home paper bags and toss any plastic bags I do get.
>
> After I was finally able to catch her, I noticed she'd peed on herself
>:( When I was rinsing her off, there was quite a bit of red in the
> water. Upon closer inspection, she's worn her claws on one hind foot to
> nubs and has dried blood on the foot.
>
> I'll call the vet in the AM (he has Saturday hours) but this doesn't
> seem to warrant an emergency call. Is there anything I can do to make
> her more comfortable tonight? Should I set her up with something other
> than the clumping litter I usually use?
>
> Poor kitty :(
>
> Corey

Does she go outside?

Corey Kaye
December 30th 06, 03:46 AM
Outsider wrote:

> Does she go outside?

Oh no. Not at all. My kitties are STRICTLY indoor.

I've got Celia in a bathroom with clean, never-been-used, world's best
litter, fresh water, fresh dry food and fresh wet food. I was able to
talk her into eating a bit of the wet. She's pretty freaked out, and
seems body-sore. Her hind foot has little bloody stumps instead of claws :(

Corey

Lynne
December 30th 06, 04:24 AM
on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 03:46:38 GMT, Corey Kaye
> wrote:

> I've got Celia in a bathroom with clean, never-been-used, world's best
> litter, fresh water, fresh dry food and fresh wet food. I was able to
> talk her into eating a bit of the wet. She's pretty freaked out, and
> seems body-sore. Her hind foot has little bloody stumps instead of
> claws :(

Sounds like your kitty got stuck in the bag and hurt herself trying to
get out. How awful for her! Patience and love and a visit to the vet in
the morning will probably be all you can do, or need to do. Also, just a
warning, she will likely be TERRIFIED of the sight and sound of plastic
bags from now on. I had a little manx who once got stuck in a plastic
grocery bag, but fortunately I was there and got him out immediately.
For the rest of his 21 years, he was so terrified of those things or
anything that sounded similar that I started requesting paper bags at the
grocery store just to alleviate his stress.

Now Levi LOVES to jump in them when I bring home groceries. I watch him
very carefully and pull him out at the first sign he might have even a
remote chance of getting stuck. It was amazing how briefly my manx,
Calvin was stuck yet how utterly terrified he was at the time and ever
after.

--
Lynne

Corey Kaye
December 30th 06, 04:33 AM
Lynne wrote:

> Sounds like your kitty got stuck in the bag and hurt herself trying to
> get out. How awful for her! Patience and love and a visit to the vet in
> the morning will probably be all you can do, or need to do. Also, just a
> warning, she will likely be TERRIFIED of the sight and sound of plastic
> bags from now on. I had a little manx who once got stuck in a plastic
> grocery bag, but fortunately I was there and got him out immediately.
> For the rest of his 21 years, he was so terrified of those things or
> anything that sounded similar that I started requesting paper bags at the
> grocery store just to alleviate his stress.
>
> Now Levi LOVES to jump in them when I bring home groceries. I watch him
> very carefully and pull him out at the first sign he might have even a
> remote chance of getting stuck. It was amazing how briefly my manx,
> Calvin was stuck yet how utterly terrified he was at the time and ever
> after.

Celia seems to be doing okay, I guess. She has her little place in the
linen closet, and comes out looking for pets when I go into that
bathroom, and full of head butts and purrs.

Her toes are still bleeding a bit--there are some pink smears on the
shelf--but she's really acting like her normal self.

I checked my vet's website, and they're closed tomorrow (holiday hours).
I suppose I'll evaluate in the AM...I certainly have lots of ER
options if need be.

I think I may be more upset than she is, now that the bag is gone. I
just feel so sorry for her!

Corey

Lynne
December 30th 06, 04:41 AM
on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 04:33:46 GMT, Corey Kaye
> wrote:

> Celia seems to be doing okay, I guess. She has her little place in
> the linen closet, and comes out looking for pets when I go into that
> bathroom, and full of head butts and purrs.
>
> Her toes are still bleeding a bit--there are some pink smears on the
> shelf--but she's really acting like her normal self.
>
> I checked my vet's website, and they're closed tomorrow (holiday
> hours).
> I suppose I'll evaluate in the AM...I certainly have lots of ER
> options if need be.
>
> I think I may be more upset than she is, now that the bag is gone. I
> just feel so sorry for her!

I do, too! Honestly, unless the bleeding doesn't stop, I think she'll
be fine for the next few days at least. Of course if it doesn't stop,
take her in tomorrow morning (or sooner). You should take her in to be
looked at for signs of infection on Tuesday, though. Especially since
she'll be scratching around in her litter box with her injured paw.
Speaking of her litter box, I would suggest keeping it as immaculate as
possible while her wounds heal. I'd suggest wrapping her foot, but IME
it's impossible keeping a bandage (or even a cast) on a cat's leg or
paw.

I hope you both feel better soon!!
--
Lynne

Corey Kaye
December 30th 06, 05:02 AM
Lynne wrote:

> I do, too! Honestly, unless the bleeding doesn't stop, I think she'll
> be fine for the next few days at least. Of course if it doesn't stop,
> take her in tomorrow morning (or sooner). You should take her in to be
> looked at for signs of infection on Tuesday, though. Especially since
> she'll be scratching around in her litter box with her injured paw.
> Speaking of her litter box, I would suggest keeping it as immaculate as
> possible while her wounds heal. I'd suggest wrapping her foot, but IME
> it's impossible keeping a bandage (or even a cast) on a cat's leg or
> paw.
>
> I hope you both feel better soon!!

She has super clean litter in a super clean box, and I don't work on the
weekends, so I'll be able to keep her box VERY clean.

I remember (YEARS and YEARS ago) the vet I worked for recommended strips
of newspaper in the boxes of the cats we did declaws on. I don't
subscribe to anything, but I may go pick up a couple papers
tomorrow...is that still the recommended "litter" for kitties with sore
paws?

Corey

mlbriggs
December 30th 06, 05:56 AM
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:02:32 -0700, Corey Kaye wrote:

> Lynne wrote:
>
>> I do, too! Honestly, unless the bleeding doesn't stop, I think she'll
>> be fine for the next few days at least. Of course if it doesn't stop,
>> take her in tomorrow morning (or sooner). You should take her in to be
>> looked at for signs of infection on Tuesday, though. Especially since
>> she'll be scratching around in her litter box with her injured paw.
>> Speaking of her litter box, I would suggest keeping it as immaculate as
>> possible while her wounds heal. I'd suggest wrapping her foot, but IME
>> it's impossible keeping a bandage (or even a cast) on a cat's leg or
>> paw.
>>
>> I hope you both feel better soon!!
>
> She has super clean litter in a super clean box, and I don't work on the
> weekends, so I'll be able to keep her box VERY clean.
>
> I remember (YEARS and YEARS ago) the vet I worked for recommended strips
> of newspaper in the boxes of the cats we did declaws on. I don't
> subscribe to anything, but I may go pick up a couple papers
> tomorrow...is that still the recommended "litter" for kitties with sore
> paws?
>
> Corey

I was going to recommend newspaper, but you beat me to it. Purrs that the
foot will heal properly without infection. MLB

Phil P.
December 30th 06, 08:53 AM
"Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
> Outsider wrote:
>
> > Does she go outside?
>
> Oh no. Not at all. My kitties are STRICTLY indoor.
>
> I've got Celia in a bathroom with clean, never-been-used, world's best
> litter, fresh water, fresh dry food and fresh wet food. I was able to
> talk her into eating a bit of the wet. She's pretty freaked out, and
> seems body-sore. Her hind foot has little bloody stumps instead of claws
:(

You might want to use shredded paper in the litter box. WBCL is good stuff-
but its still granules that can irritate her paws.

Phil P.
December 30th 06, 08:57 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Corey Kaye" > wrote in message
> > Outsider wrote:
> >
> > > Does she go outside?
> >
> > Oh no. Not at all. My kitties are STRICTLY indoor.
> >
> > I've got Celia in a bathroom with clean, never-been-used, world's best
> > litter, fresh water, fresh dry food and fresh wet food. I was able to
> > talk her into eating a bit of the wet. She's pretty freaked out, and
> > seems body-sore. Her hind foot has little bloody stumps instead of
claws
> :(
>
> You might want to use shredded paper in the litter box. WBCL is good
stuff-
> but its still granules that can irritate her paws.

I forgot to add- use shredded plain white (copy/printer) paper- not
newspaper or magazines as long as she open wounds.

December 30th 06, 09:29 AM
> I'll call the vet in the AM (he has Saturday hours) but this doesn't
> seem to warrant an emergency call. Is there anything I can do to make
> her more comfortable tonight? Should I set her up with something other
> than the clumping litter I usually use?

If it still bleeding, you can get some pet stuff from the pet store
that stops bleeding. It should be with the clippers. Or you get Alum
from the spice aisle at the grocery store. I use that when trimming dog
nails.

We had something similar happen a few weeks ago. My nephew's cat
doesn't like to sleep in his bedroom, so my nephew would close the
door. Chase figured out how to open the door, so my nephew blocked the
door with crates. Well, Chase spent the night trying to get that door
open. When i got home for work the next day, he wouldn't come when I
called. Just sat there and sounded pitiful. He finally came over, but
didn't jump up. I knew something was wrong. My nephew walked in and
told me that he had tried to declaw himself. They found two complete
claws on the floor. One was clean, one was bloody. And there were
bloody pawprints on the floor around the door.

I can't imagine how he did this and didn't stop at the pain. There was
nothing the vet could really do. It wasn't infected, though we kept an
eye on that. He was sensitive for awhile, but ran and played after a
couple days. He was very squirmy the last time I trimmed his nails. I
did his back feet first since they were good. Then I very carefully
clipped the sharp nails on teh front paws while barely squeezing his
paws since it was still very uncomfortable for him. He cried a little.
A couple days ago, I took a more detailed look at the two claws (or
lack of claws. Looks like two fuzzy lumps in there. Nothing like a
nail. I don't know if they will grow back or not. I do hope so. He does
seem to be getting less sensitive, so the healing is continuing.

I would keep an eye on the foot, make sure there is no swelling, heat,
or other signs of infection. Keep up with the special kitty litter
while she heals.

Not a whole lot you can do except make her comfortable and be on the
lookout for infection or other problems.

Outsider
December 30th 06, 11:19 AM
Corey Kaye > wrote in
:

> Outsider wrote:
>
>> Does she go outside?
>
> Oh no. Not at all. My kitties are STRICTLY indoor.
>
> I've got Celia in a bathroom with clean, never-been-used, world's best
> litter, fresh water, fresh dry food and fresh wet food. I was able to
> talk her into eating a bit of the wet. She's pretty freaked out, and
> seems body-sore. Her hind foot has little bloody stumps instead of
> claws :(
>
> Corey

I was worried some miscreant had done something to her.

Outsider
December 30th 06, 11:32 AM
" > wrote in
oups.com:

>> I'll call the vet in the AM (he has Saturday hours) but this doesn't
>> seem to warrant an emergency call. Is there anything I can do to make
>> her more comfortable tonight? Should I set her up with something other
>> than the clumping litter I usually use?

I also thoght about the paper like the others but make sure she is ok using
it. If she does not like it or use it she may be less happy. What a
terrible thing to find and for the little thing to go through. I hope she
gets better quick. Isn't this ever cat owner's nightmare? We come home to
find our little friend injured.

Andy

Corey Kaye
December 30th 06, 07:14 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> I forgot to add- use shredded plain white (copy/printer) paper- not
> newspaper or magazines as long as she open wounds.

Where do I find newspaper without print on it?

Celia seems to be doing very well today. She's cleaned her foot
well...last night the little bloody stumps were pretty easy to see, but
now there's no visible blood or redness. She's not hiding, but she also
wasn't waiting to be let out of the bathroom she's in. It doesn't look
like she's used the litter box. She purry and seems to be acting like
her normal self.

Corey

bookie
December 30th 06, 11:34 PM
Corey Kaye wrote:
> Lynne wrote:
>
> > Sounds like your kitty got stuck in the bag and hurt herself trying to
> > get out. How awful for her! Patience and love and a visit to the vet in
> > the morning will probably be all you can do, or need to do. Also, just a
> > warning, she will likely be TERRIFIED of the sight and sound of plastic
> > bags from now on. I had a little manx who once got stuck in a plastic
> > grocery bag, but fortunately I was there and got him out immediately.
> > For the rest of his 21 years, he was so terrified of those things or
> > anything that sounded similar that I started requesting paper bags at the
> > grocery store just to alleviate his stress.
> >
> > Now Levi LOVES to jump in them when I bring home groceries. I watch him
> > very carefully and pull him out at the first sign he might have even a
> > remote chance of getting stuck. It was amazing how briefly my manx,
> > Calvin was stuck yet how utterly terrified he was at the time and ever
> > after.
>
> Celia seems to be doing okay, I guess. She has her little place in the
> linen closet, and comes out looking for pets when I go into that
> bathroom, and full of head butts and purrs.
>
> Her toes are still bleeding a bit--there are some pink smears on the
> shelf--but she's really acting like her normal self.

it might be an idea to bathe her foot in a solution of salty water,
this acts like a weak disinfectant/antiseptic onthe wound, until you
get her to a vet. that is certainly what I was advised to do when my
jasper got his tail caught in a door which was blown shut (ouch)

lots of TLC too, poor lamb, she must have been so scared