PDA

View Full Version : Contstant Meowing

B-Worthey
December 30th 06, 05:06 PM
Okay, I've already done a good bit of reading here in the group about
other's and their cat's constant meowing, but I've got some of my own
questions. I have what I believe is a siamese cat, got him from the
pound, so I'm not exactly sure, he could be a himalayan/siamese mix. I
think he definitely has the siames "voice" that I've read about. My
cat meows all the time, when we come home I can sort of understand, but
it continues on into the night, if he walks by he's talking. The only
time he doesn't meow is when he is in the bed with us sleeping, and
most of the time it seems like that's where he wants to be and where he
wants us to be. I've not taken him to the vet recently to ensure that
there is nothing wrong with him physically, but there doesn't appear to
be. I read one post about some cats going deaf, there are signs that he
can still hear so I don't think that's an issue. He still plays, eats,
drinks normally. I just don't understand the meowing or what to do
about it. I need some help here, it's getting to the point now that
it's getting to a breaking point. Any advice.

B-Worthey

Gail
December 30th 06, 06:07 PM
That's normal for siamese and tonkinese breeds. They are very vocal. (I'm
glad the vet checked him over to make sure nothing is wrong physically with
him).
Gail
"B-Worthey" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Okay, I've already done a good bit of reading here in the group about
> other's and their cat's constant meowing, but I've got some of my own
> questions. I have what I believe is a siamese cat, got him from the
> pound, so I'm not exactly sure, he could be a himalayan/siamese mix. I
> think he definitely has the siames "voice" that I've read about. My
> cat meows all the time, when we come home I can sort of understand, but
> it continues on into the night, if he walks by he's talking. The only
> time he doesn't meow is when he is in the bed with us sleeping, and
> most of the time it seems like that's where he wants to be and where he
> wants us to be. I've not taken him to the vet recently to ensure that
> there is nothing wrong with him physically, but there doesn't appear to
> be. I read one post about some cats going deaf, there are signs that he
> can still hear so I don't think that's an issue. He still plays, eats,
> drinks normally. I just don't understand the meowing or what to do
> about it. I need some help here, it's getting to the point now that
> it's getting to a breaking point. Any advice.
>
> B-Worthey

MaryL
December 30th 06, 06:18 PM
"B-Worthey" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Okay, I've already done a good bit of reading here in the group about
> other's and their cat's constant meowing, but I've got some of my own
> questions. I have what I believe is a siamese cat, got him from the
> pound, so I'm not exactly sure, he could be a himalayan/siamese mix. I
> think he definitely has the siames "voice" that I've read about. My
> cat meows all the time, when we come home I can sort of understand, but
> it continues on into the night, if he walks by he's talking. The only
> time he doesn't meow is when he is in the bed with us sleeping, and
> most of the time it seems like that's where he wants to be and where he
> wants us to be. I've not taken him to the vet recently to ensure that
> there is nothing wrong with him physically, but there doesn't appear to
> be. I read one post about some cats going deaf, there are signs that he
> can still hear so I don't think that's an issue. He still plays, eats,
> drinks normally. I just don't understand the meowing or what to do
> about it. I need some help here, it's getting to the point now that
> it's getting to a breaking point. Any advice.
>
> B-Worthey

Siamese are very vocal, but I would also want to have a thyroid test.
Vocalization is sometimes a sign of thryoid problems, especially in an older
cat.

MaryL

sheelagh
December 30th 06, 07:45 PM

> Siamese are very vocal, but I would also want to have a thyroid test.
> Vocalization is sometimes a sign of thryoid problems, especially in an older
> cat.
>
> MaryL
This Is very good advice.Try that one If you can please?

Another thing that comes to mind Is that, a close friend of mine had a
very similar sounding problem to this one.Everything in this post
sounds almost identical to the ones you mention in your post too.

I am assuming that he has been nuetered?(desexed?).

The reason I ask you this, is because to cut a very long story short,
It turned out that the desexing job that was done to him, didn't
entirely work, & he was ever such an unhappy chappie,& obviously no one
could *see* a problem with him,as you state in your posting.

Having got to breaking point herself, she took him back & they got a
second opinion, because she was certain that *something* had been
missed, & she was right too!When he was desexed, It wasn't done
correctly, & some of his bits were left.Having diagnosed what the
problem was, It was very simlpy corrected, & they all lived happily
ever after in this case.
Maybe It would be worthwhile asking for someone to have a closer look?
Good Luck & Best Wishe's,
S.

B-Worthey
December 30th 06, 09:14 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I am assuming that he has been nuetered?(desexed?).

Yes, he has been nuetered. Wouldn't this have been a problem from day one
though? It doesn't seem to have been an issue until just here lately. I
don't know. I just know we've got to figure something out.

B-Worthey

B-Worthey
December 30th 06, 09:15 PM
"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> That's normal for siamese and tonkinese breeds. They are very vocal. (I'm
> glad the vet checked him over to make sure nothing is wrong physically
> with him).
> Gail

I haven't taken him to the vet at this point, not in a while anyway. Maybe
I mistyped something in my OP. We are going to take him to the vet soon
though.

Okay, so maybe this is something very normal for siamese, what then
behaviorally can I do for it. I've tried ignoring him, tried playing iwth
him more, tried different things, nothing works. Will nothing work?

B-Worthey

B-Worthey
December 30th 06, 09:30 PM

> Siamese are very vocal, but I would also want to have a thyroid test.
> Vocalization is sometimes a sign of thryoid problems, especially in an
> older cat.

Okay, just read your post and some other posts here about another owner that
is having problems with his cat have a hyper-thyroid problem. One thing he
mentioned was that his cat threw up 2-3 times a day. Someone mentioned that
this could be due to some medication he was taking. My cat also throws up
frequently. Not everyday though. I've attributed it to hairballs because
there have been times that I've visibly seen hairballs. Maybe it is the
thyroid issue. I'll definitely look at taking him to the vet son after the
first of the year. Are there any other signs of a thyroid isue?

B-Worthey

Buddy's Mom
December 30th 06, 09:36 PM
Other signs of hyperthyroidism are excessive thirst and hunger along
with weight loss. They do tend to talk a lot.

B-Worthey wrote:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> >>

> > Siamese are very vocal, but I would also want to have a thyroid test.
> > Vocalization is sometimes a sign of thryoid problems, especially in an
> > older cat.
>
> Okay, just read your post and some other posts here about another owner that
> is having problems with his cat have a hyper-thyroid problem. One thing he
> mentioned was that his cat threw up 2-3 times a day. Someone mentioned that
> this could be due to some medication he was taking. My cat also throws up
> frequently. Not everyday though. I've attributed it to hairballs because
> there have been times that I've visibly seen hairballs. Maybe it is the
> thyroid issue. I'll definitely look at taking him to the vet son after the
> first of the year. Are there any other signs of a thyroid isue?
>
> B-Worthey

B-Worthey
December 30th 06, 10:16 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Other signs of hyperthyroidism are excessive thirst and hunger along
> with weight loss. They do tend to talk a lot.

I wouldn't say he's had any problems with weight loss, he's quiet the
healthy cat. He does act "weird" when we turn the kitchen faucet on (where
his food/water bowls are). Even though he has water, he acts like he
doesn't. I think he just can't tell its in there some times. I don't know.
Like I said, will get him to the vet soon after the new year.

B-Worthey

Rhonda
December 30th 06, 11:08 PM
B-Worthey wrote:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>
>>Siamese are very vocal, but I would also want to have a thyroid test.
>>Vocalization is sometimes a sign of thryoid problems, especially in an
>>older cat.
>
> Okay, just read your post and some other posts here about another owner that
> is having problems with his cat have a hyper-thyroid problem. One thing he
> mentioned was that his cat threw up 2-3 times a day. Someone mentioned that
> this could be due to some medication he was taking. My cat also throws up
> frequently. Not everyday though. I've attributed it to hairballs because
> there have been times that I've visibly seen hairballs. Maybe it is the
> thyroid issue. I'll definitely look at taking him to the vet son after the
> first of the year. Are there any other signs of a thyroid isue?

I thought this might have been a problem since you've had him but if
this is a new behavior -- I would definitely think it's medical. Along
with the thyroid test I'd ask the vet for a full blood panel.

How old is he? We had a Siamese and she was vocal, and was more so as
she got older. The change was gradual though and not enough to be
annoying. She never went through the house meowing constantly until the
very end when she was in pain from renal failure.

Rhonda

B-Worthey
December 30th 06, 11:56 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message

> How old is he? We had a Siamese and she was vocal, and was more so as she
> got older. The change was gradual though and not enough to be annoying.
> She never went through the house meowing constantly until the very end
> when she was in pain from renal failure.
>
> Rhonda

It may be that I'm just noticing it more. He's only about 4 or 5 so I
wouldn't consider that old. I would say that it's been gradual with him.
It used to only be when we'd been gone from the house for any length of
time, even short amount of times, but he would quit after 5 or 10 minutes of
meowing, now it seems to be all the time. I say that, but he does take
breaks, but it seems he is meowing more often than not. Like now he is not
meowing, so I don't know.

B-Worthey

MaryL
December 31st 06, 01:21 AM
"B-Worthey" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Gail" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> That's normal for siamese and tonkinese breeds. They are very vocal. (I'm
>> glad the vet checked him over to make sure nothing is wrong physically
>> with him).
>> Gail
>
> I haven't taken him to the vet at this point, not in a while anyway.
> Maybe I mistyped something in my OP. We are going to take him to the vet
> soon though.
>
> Okay, so maybe this is something very normal for siamese, what then
> behaviorally can I do for it. I've tried ignoring him, tried playing iwth
> him more, tried different things, nothing works. Will nothing work?
>
> B-Worthey

You can't really work on behavioral issues until after your visit to the vet
because checking out medical issues needs to be your first line of defense.

MaryL

Spot
December 31st 06, 03:12 AM
I have a siamese mix and I'd be worried if I walked by her or one of the
dogs walked by and she didn't meow at them. It's her nature she's very
talkative. Sometimes it can be annoying but I wouldn't change her for the
world.

Celeste

"B-Worthey" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Gail" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> That's normal for siamese and tonkinese breeds. They are very vocal. (I'm
>> glad the vet checked him over to make sure nothing is wrong physically
>> with him).
>> Gail
>
> I haven't taken him to the vet at this point, not in a while anyway.
> Maybe I mistyped something in my OP. We are going to take him to the vet
> soon though.
>
> Okay, so maybe this is something very normal for siamese, what then
> behaviorally can I do for it. I've tried ignoring him, tried playing iwth
> him more, tried different things, nothing works. Will nothing work?
>
> B-Worthey

Rhonda
December 31st 06, 06:12 AM
B-Worthey wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>How old is he? We had a Siamese and she was vocal, and was more so as she
>>got older. The change was gradual though and not enough to be annoying.
>>She never went through the house meowing constantly until the very end
>>when she was in pain from renal failure.
>>
>>Rhonda
>
> It may be that I'm just noticing it more. He's only about 4 or 5 so I
> wouldn't consider that old. I would say that it's been gradual with him.
> It used to only be when we'd been gone from the house for any length of
> time, even short amount of times, but he would quit after 5 or 10 minutes of
> meowing, now it seems to be all the time. I say that, but he does take
> breaks, but it seems he is meowing more often than not. Like now he is not
> meowing, so I don't know.

Trust your intuition. If you think he's meowing a lot more lately -- he
probably is.

Let us know what the vet has to say.

Rhonda

Brian Link
January 2nd 07, 05:43 AM
On 30 Dec 2006 08:06:52 -0800, "B-Worthey" >
wrote:

>Okay, I've already done a good bit of reading here in the group about
>other's and their cat's constant meowing, but I've got some of my own
>questions. I have what I believe is a siamese cat, got him from the
>pound, so I'm not exactly sure, he could be a himalayan/siamese mix. I
>think he definitely has the siames "voice" that I've read about. My
>cat meows all the time, when we come home I can sort of understand, but
>it continues on into the night, if he walks by he's talking. The only
>time he doesn't meow is when he is in the bed with us sleeping, and
>most of the time it seems like that's where he wants to be and where he
>wants us to be. I've not taken him to the vet recently to ensure that
>there is nothing wrong with him physically, but there doesn't appear to
>be. I read one post about some cats going deaf, there are signs that he
>can still hear so I don't think that's an issue. He still plays, eats,
>drinks normally. I just don't understand the meowing or what to do
>about it. I need some help here, it's getting to the point now that
>it's getting to a breaking point. Any advice.
>
>B-Worthey

Fwiw - cats don't "meow" to other cats, only to people. This cat is
familiar with people, and knows that making noise gets them to pay
attention.

Feed, fix and care for him.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

B-Worthey
January 2nd 07, 09:24 PM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message >
> Feed, fix and care for him.
>
> BLink

Umm, we do. Doesn't explain the excessive meowing. The only time he is
quiet is when he is usually laying on top of either me or my wife.

B-Worthey

> --------------------------
> "The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

cybercat
January 2nd 07, 10:09 PM
"B-Worthey" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Brian Link" > wrote in message >
>> Feed, fix and care for him.
>>
>> BLink
>
> Umm, we do. Doesn't explain the excessive meowing. The only time he is
> quiet is when he is usually laying on top of either me or my wife.
>
> B-Worthey

Have you had his blood tested for an overactive thryoid?

B-Worthey
January 2nd 07, 11:14 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> Have you had his blood tested for an overactive thryoid?

Not yet, taking him to vet this week.

B-Worthey

cybercat
January 2nd 07, 11:17 PM
"B-Worthey" > wrote in message
. ..

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>

>> Have you had his blood tested for an overactive thryoid?
>
> Not yet, taking him to vet this week.

Well, since we have been giving our cat thyroid medicine
she does not howl like she used to. Let us know how he does.