PDA

View Full Version : Hip Dysplasia update - non surgical treatment option #2

Brian Link
December 31st 06, 03:00 AM
This continues my irritating posts about Feline Hip Dysplasia. Again,
nobody asked me, but someday someone will be googling FHD and might
find this info useful.

There's a school of thought as relates to human musculo-skeletal
disorders which posits that manipulation of soft tissue, especially
muscular fascia, can alleviate conditions caused by injury. Since
Louis is an unlikely candidate for congenital FHD (small, and a cat),
I've been asking the question "does his broken leg at six months have
something to do with the pelvic disorder at 4 years?".

I wrote to an friend who practices "Rolfing" or "Structural
Integration" on humans. I laid out Louis' history and asked whether
the broken leg may be responsible, and whether Rolfers work on
non-human mammals. This is the response I got:

"We have a 1 1/2 year old toy aussie who is quite athletic herself and
had several fx bones in her hands fractured at about 10 weeks of age.
she was casted for 6 weeks. same type of
stuff. We work on her a lot, and she very seldom limps these days.

So, yes, the work transfers. Yes, I think Rolfing would help him.
Kali also presented suddenly with a limp, and we worked with it.

Years ago, I worked with an Akita who was diagnosed with hip
displasia.
3 sessions and the vet said he couldn't tell.

I think that a conservative approach is appropriate. My guess is that
the displasia is from the accident, and Rolfing is great at scar
tissue and putting things back in place. Surgery is a scary thing to
think of for me."

Cites available by private email.

ymmv.

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Lynne
December 31st 06, 04:21 AM
on Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:00:48 GMT, Brian Link > wrote:

> This continues my irritating posts about Feline Hip Dysplasia. Again,
> nobody asked me, but someday someone will be googling FHD and might
> find this info useful.

Please don't stop posting about this. I don't think the cat owning JQP
even realizes that FHD exists. I'm sorry we have to learn through your
experience, but I have no doubt that the information you are sharing will
help someone else in the future. Thank you, and please let us know how
your kitty fares.

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure." -- Mark
Twain

Brian Link
December 31st 06, 05:46 AM
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:21:55 -0600, Lynne
> wrote:

>on Sun, 31 Dec 2006 02:00:48 GMT, Brian Link > wrote:
>
>> This continues my irritating posts about Feline Hip Dysplasia. Again,
>> nobody asked me, but someday someone will be googling FHD and might
>> find this info useful.
>
>Please don't stop posting about this. I don't think the cat owning JQP
>even realizes that FHD exists. I'm sorry we have to learn through your
>experience, but I have no doubt that the information you are sharing will
>help someone else in the future. Thank you, and please let us know how
>your kitty fares.

Thanks, Lynne. After a week of analgesics and anti-inflammatories
(MetaCam) Lous is back to his old self. If the hip is truly damaged, I
may be posting on his surgery - but he's okay for the time being, and
I'm ready to try some alternatives to surgery.

As with my son's scoliosis, I've found it's useful to talk to folks
outside of accepted allopathic/veterinary practice. It may not be the
"cure", but I feel I owe it to Louis to investigate other ideas.

(as I typed this, Louis parked himself on our buffet with a couple
deft leaps. Not rejecting reality - just trying to give him the
benefit of concurrent research in humans).

BLink
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"