PDA

View Full Version : cat behavior?

cowpokieman
December 31st 06, 06:09 PM
My cat has a love hate relationship with a number of things: my boyfriend,
my computer mouse (I have to hide it in the drawer when I don't use it
because he knocks if off the desk EVERY time I am not around) and this
little remote control car my nephew left at the house. Tomboy (the cat)
hisses at all of these things when they're just sitting there (although my
BF provokes him), but if they engage him or move, he can't help but playing
with them. After pawing and jumping around for a while, he'll remember
that he's supposed to hate them and hiss. Is this all just pretending or
does he really not like them?

cow pokieman

Buddy's Mom
December 31st 06, 07:16 PM
Cats shouldn't be teased/provoked. Probably why he hisses at things
that someone has teased him with.

cowpokieman wrote:
> My cat has a love hate relationship with a number of things: my boyfriend,
> my computer mouse (I have to hide it in the drawer when I don't use it
> because he knocks if off the desk EVERY time I am not around) and this
> little remote control car my nephew left at the house. Tomboy (the cat)
> hisses at all of these things when they're just sitting there (although my
> BF provokes him), but if they engage him or move, he can't help but playing
> with them. After pawing and jumping around for a while, he'll remember
> that he's supposed to hate them and hiss. Is this all just pretending or
> does he really not like them?
>
> cow pokieman

GM
December 31st 06, 08:29 PM
In article <[email protected]>,
says...
> My cat has a love hate relationship with a number of things: my boyfriend,
> my computer mouse (I have to hide it in the drawer when I don't use it
> because he knocks if off the desk EVERY time I am not around) and this
> little remote control car my nephew left at the house. Tomboy (the cat)
> hisses at all of these things when they're just sitting there (although my
> BF provokes him), but if they engage him or move, he can't help but playing
> with them. After pawing and jumping around for a while, he'll remember
> that he's supposed to hate them and hiss. Is this all just pretending or
> does he really not like them?
>
> cow pokieman

My cat does the same thing. He has gotten better in his old age (turns
3 in February) but if someone or something doesn't give him space when
he first meets them, he'll hiss for a week until he calms down. I was a
little worried when I bought one of those Roomba vacuums that he was
going to have a big problem. So that he wouldn't freak out every time I
used it, I tried to let him get acclimated to the new thing in the
house. I left it out of the box in a corner for a week, and by the time
I stared using it, it was old news to him. He does like to play with it
and his eyes follow it around the room as it picks up all those little
dust bunnies. My advice is to encourage new people (or things) to let
Tomboy get used to them before they force the issue.

MaryL
December 31st 06, 09:23 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Cats shouldn't be teased/provoked. Probably why he hisses at things
> that someone has teased him with.
>
> cowpokieman wrote:
>> My cat has a love hate relationship with a number of things: my
>> boyfriend,
>> my computer mouse (I have to hide it in the drawer when I don't use it
>> because he knocks if off the desk EVERY time I am not around) and this
>> little remote control car my nephew left at the house. Tomboy (the cat)
>> hisses at all of these things when they're just sitting there (although
>> my
>> BF provokes him), but if they engage him or move, he can't help but
>> playing
>> with them. After pawing and jumping around for a while, he'll remember
>> that he's supposed to hate them and hiss. Is this all just pretending or
>> does he really not like them?
>>
>> cow pokieman

*Don't* let your BF provoke him!

MaryL

bookie
January 1st 07, 03:06 AM
cowpokieman wrote:
> My cat has a love hate relationship with a number of things: my boyfriend,
> my computer mouse (I have to hide it in the drawer when I don't use it
> because he knocks if off the desk EVERY time I am not around) and this
> little remote control car my nephew left at the house. Tomboy (the cat)
> hisses at all of these things when they're just sitting there (although my
> BF provokes him), but if they engage him or move, he can't help but playing
> with them. After pawing and jumping around for a while, he'll remember
> that he's supposed to hate them and hiss. Is this all just pretending or
> does he really not like them?
>
> cow pokieman

if your boyfriend is provoking your cat then get rid of your boyfriend,
he is obviously a **** and has no respect for other living things and
certainly no respect for you if he is going to torment the thing you
love most ie your pusscat. You have no room in your life for someone
like that so tell him to hit the road and find someone who has more
respect for urban tigers.

bookie

bookie
January 1st 07, 03:07 AM
cowpokieman wrote:
> My cat has a love hate relationship with a number of things: my boyfriend,
> my computer mouse (I have to hide it in the drawer when I don't use it
> because he knocks if off the desk EVERY time I am not around) and this
> little remote control car my nephew left at the house. Tomboy (the cat)
> hisses at all of these things when they're just sitting there (although my
> BF provokes him), but if they engage him or move, he can't help but playing
> with them. After pawing and jumping around for a while, he'll remember
> that he's supposed to hate them and hiss. Is this all just pretending or
> does he really not like them?
>
> cow pokieman

if your boyfriend is provoking your cat then get rid of your boyfriend,
he is obviously a **** and has no respect for other living things and
certainly no respect for you if he is going to torment the thing you
love most ie your pusscat. You have no room in your life for someone
like that so tell him to hit the road and find someone who has more
respect for urban tigers.

bookie

MaryL
January 1st 07, 03:27 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> cowpokieman wrote:
>> My cat has a love hate relationship with a number of things: my
>> boyfriend,
>> my computer mouse (I have to hide it in the drawer when I don't use it
>> because he knocks if off the desk EVERY time I am not around) and this
>> little remote control car my nephew left at the house. Tomboy (the cat)
>> hisses at all of these things when they're just sitting there (although
>> my
>> BF provokes him), but if they engage him or move, he can't help but
>> playing
>> with them. After pawing and jumping around for a while, he'll remember
>> that he's supposed to hate them and hiss. Is this all just pretending or
>> does he really not like them?
>>
>> cow pokieman
>
> if your boyfriend is provoking your cat then get rid of your boyfriend,
> he is obviously a **** and has no respect for other living things and
> certainly no respect for you if he is going to torment the thing you
> love most ie your pusscat. You have no room in your life for someone
> like that so tell him to hit the road and find someone who has more
> respect for urban tigers.
>
> bookie

Very well said!

MaryL

bookie
January 1st 07, 03:43 AM
bookie wrote:
> cowpokieman wrote:
> > My cat has a love hate relationship with a number of things: my boyfriend,
> > my computer mouse (I have to hide it in the drawer when I don't use it
> > because he knocks if off the desk EVERY time I am not around) and this
> > little remote control car my nephew left at the house. Tomboy (the cat)
> > hisses at all of these things when they're just sitting there (although my
> > BF provokes him), but if they engage him or move, he can't help but playing
> > with them. After pawing and jumping around for a while, he'll remember
> > that he's supposed to hate them and hiss. Is this all just pretending or
> > does he really not like them?
> >
> > cow pokieman
>
> if your boyfriend is provoking your cat then get rid of your boyfriend,
> he is obviously a **** and has no respect for other living things and
> certainly no respect for you if he is going to torment the thing you
> love most ie your pusscat. You have no room in your life for someone
> like that so tell him to hit the road and find someone who has more
> respect for urban tigers.
>
> bookie

sorry don't know why this was posted twice, happened by mistake, maybe
it was my computer agreeing with my thoughts