PDA

View Full Version : a surprise for some of you

Rhonda
December 31st 06, 07:29 PM
Barb, I think I'm confused. Everyone's posts go on google and in the
archives as far as I know. I'm on dial-up and mine have always been in
there. I've used google for years, deju-news before that, to pull up
past posts.

Am I missing what you are saying?

Rhonda

barb wrote:
> Since I began with broadband my posts to this website are being posted
> online! That is, if you Google me you will find my posts and you can access
> complete threads with others' posts to me. I guess most likely there's no
> real harm in this for most of you. Actually, an old high school buddy
> tracked me down through this and we've been having fun catching up!
>
> On the other hand, for the few here whose posts are peppered with rather
> testy language, you should be aware that a prospective employer or even a
> date, may not be too impressed.
>
> Have any of the rest of you encountered this?
>
> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time.

Gail Futoran
December 31st 06, 07:40 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Barb, I think I'm confused. Everyone's posts go on google and in the
> archives as far as I know. I'm on dial-up and mine have always been in
> there. I've used google for years, deju-news before that, to pull up past
> posts.
>
> Am I missing what you are saying?

> Rhonda
>
> barb wrote:
>> Since I began with broadband my posts to this website are being posted
>> online! That is, if you Google me you will find my posts and you can
>> access
>> complete threads with others' posts to me. I guess most likely there's
>> no
>> real harm in this for most of you. Actually, an old high school buddy
>> tracked me down through this and we've been having fun catching up!
>>
>> On the other hand, for the few here whose posts are peppered with rather
>> testy language, you should be aware that a prospective employer or even a
>> date, may not be too impressed.
>>
>> Have any of the rest of you encountered this?
>>
>> Barb
>> Of course I don't look busy,
>> I did it right the first time.

Some people put a notation on their posts
that causes the posts to be deleted after
a period of time (I think 5 days), hence
their posts are not permanently archived,
but otherwise I agree with Rhonda. Every
stupid thing I've ever posted to USENET
is archived. :) BTW I'm also on dialup.

Gail F.

milk bone
December 31st 06, 07:41 PM
barb wrote:

> Have any of the rest of you encountered this?

good troll barb, ill have a crack at this

who cares

you're saying.. watch your mouth? well of course
never put in writing anything you don't want the world to read

are you admitting that you would rather post something a little more
colorful?

milk bone
December 31st 06, 07:44 PM
barb wrote:

> Barb
> Of course I don't look busy,
> I did it right the first time

i thought most of us were adults

i don't trust a woman who don't cuss sometimes

barb
December 31st 06, 08:14 PM
Since I began with broadband my posts to this website are being posted
online! That is, if you Google me you will find my posts and you can access
complete threads with others' posts to me. I guess most likely there's no
real harm in this for most of you. Actually, an old high school buddy
tracked me down through this and we've been having fun catching up!

On the other hand, for the few here whose posts are peppered with rather
testy language, you should be aware that a prospective employer or even a
date, may not be too impressed.

Have any of the rest of you encountered this?

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

barb
December 31st 06, 09:02 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Barb, I think I'm confused. Everyone's posts go on google and in the
> archives as far as I know. I'm on dial-up and mine have always been in
> there. I've used google for years, deju-news before that, to pull up
> past posts.
>
> Am I missing what you are saying?
>
> Rhonda

Well, Rhonda,

My former posts were never brought up on Google so that's why I was really
surprised!

Barb

Gail Futoran
December 31st 06, 11:02 PM
"barb" > wrote in message

> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>> Barb, I think I'm confused. Everyone's posts go on google and in the
>> archives as far as I know. I'm on dial-up and mine have always been in
>> there. I've used google for years, deju-news before that, to pull up
>> past posts.
>>
>> Am I missing what you are saying?
>>
>> Rhonda
>
> Well, Rhonda,
>
> My former posts were never brought up on Google so that's why I was really
> surprised!
>
> Barb

If you formerly posted under the addy
(Google doesn't
give full email addys) you have posts to
rpchb going back to June '99 according
to www.google.groups.com . And I can
read them.

Just out of curiosity, how are you
searching Google groups? If you use
the Advanced Groups Search option
you can search by newsgroup, topic,
date, author, etc.

Gail F.

milk bone
January 1st 07, 01:11 AM
Gail Futoran wrote:

> Some people put a notation on their posts
> that causes the posts to be deleted after
> a period of time (I think 5 days), hence
> their posts are not permanently archived,
> but otherwise I agree with Rhonda. Every
> stupid thing I've ever posted to USENET
> is archived. :) BTW I'm also on dialup.
>
> Gail F.

no x archive thingy...

I believe this is also a matter of propogation
one server tells the next to delete a message
some servers don't do that, some do

if it's posted it's posted for ever
till fire do us part

William Hamblen
January 1st 07, 02:18 AM
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:14:02 -0600, "barb" >
wrote:

>Have any of the rest of you encountered this?

I haven't had anyone look me up from articles on Usenet. Deja news
goes way back, and was taken over by Google 5 or 6 years ago. Google
has articles I posted 12 years ago. Usenet is close to forever. If
you let it out, someone somewhere has a copy.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Rhonda
January 1st 07, 02:36 AM
barb wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Barb, I think I'm confused. Everyone's posts go on google and in the
>>archives as far as I know. I'm on dial-up and mine have always been in
>>there. I've used google for years, deju-news before that, to pull up
>>past posts.
>>
>>Am I missing what you are saying?
>>
>>Rhonda
>
> Well, Rhonda,
>
> My former posts were never brought up on Google so that's why I was really
> surprised!

That's really odd that some would show up and some wouldn't.

Rhonda

sheelagh
January 1st 07, 07:25 PM
milk bone wrote:
> barb wrote:
>
> > Barb
> > Of course I don't look busy,
> > I did it right the first time
>
> i thought most of us were adults

Ahhmm...?

> i don't trust a woman who don't cuss sometimes

ROFLOL!
S:o)

sheelagh
January 1st 07, 07:29 PM
milk bone wrote:
> barb wrote:
>
> > Barb
> > Of course I don't look busy,
> > I did it right the first time
>
> i thought most of us were adults

Ahhemm?

> i don't trust a woman who don't cuss sometimes
ROFLOL
S:o)

sheelagh
January 1st 07, 07:56 PM
milk bone wrote:

> barb wrote:
>
> > Barb
> > Of course I don't look busy,
> > I did it right the first time
>
> i thought most of us were adults
Ahhhemm!
> i don't trust a woman who don't cuss sometimes
ROFLOL
s:o)

Matthew
January 1st 07, 08:14 PM
"milk bone" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> barb wrote:
>
>> Barb
>> Of course I don't look busy,
>> I did it right the first time
>
> i thought most of us were adults
>
> i don't trust a woman who don't cuss sometimes

Barry I don't think you have met a woman that has not cussed at you yet ;-)
Just kidding partner Happy New Year

barb
January 1st 07, 09:34 PM
Gee, Gail,

I never saw those posts and that was my old email address. I've never used
the advanced search. Have to try it!

Barb

> If you formerly posted under the addy
> (Google doesn't
> give full email addys) you have posts to
> rpchb going back to June '99 according
> to www.google.groups.com . And I can
> read them.
>
> Just out of curiosity, how are you
> searching Google groups? If you use
> the Advanced Groups Search option
> you can search by newsgroup, topic,
> date, author, etc.
>
> Gail F.

milk bone
January 2nd 07, 01:06 AM
Matthew wrote:

> Barry I don't think you have met a woman that has not cussed at you yet ;-)
> Just kidding partner Happy New Year

Ill puff to that!

There was one woman who didn't curse me, she said something about
putting it on God's plate

Gail Futoran
January 2nd 07, 03:54 AM
"barb" > wrote in message
> Gee, Gail,
>
> I never saw those posts and that was my old email address. I've never
> used
> the advanced search. Have to try it!
>
> Barb

I have 6 cats and sometimes I'll have a health
or behavior question. I try to look up the
topic first to see if anyone posted about it
previously. The advanced search option is
really handy for that.

Gail F.

Gail Futoran
January 2nd 07, 03:39 PM
"barb" > wrote in message
>I looked at that advanced search and see you have to fill in all kinds of
> information.
>
> Barb

Those are options rather than requirements. For
example, I will almost always fill in a newsgroup
name, unless I'm not sure which newsgroup
might have the information I want (e.g., if I have
a computer question). But after that it depends
on the information I'm seeking. I might be
interested in all posts posted in the last week in
a particular newsgroup. I would limit the dates to
the last week and then run my search *without*
specifying a topic, or an author. I almost never
specify an author, but if I had a specific cat health
question, I might start by specifying Phil P. as the
author. Or I might be interested in a particular
topic, say CRF, and not worry about dates.
That would result in a lot of posts coming up,
but then you can do an additional search to add
more limits.

As an example, say I was interested in outdoor
enclosures. In the advanced search I put
"outdoor enclosures" in the blank for Find
messages with all the words. I put r.p.c.h+b
in the group blank. I changed the start date
to 1 Jan 2006 because I don't want to wade
through a gadzillion posts dating back to 1981.
The search showed that in the last year there
were 6 topics on outdoor enclosures. A
good start, and I can modify my search from
that point.

Gail F.

barb
January 2nd 07, 03:58 PM

"Gail Futoran" > wrote in message
> I have 6 cats and sometimes I'll have a health
> or behavior question. I try to look up the
> topic first to see if anyone posted about it
> previously. The advanced search option is
> really handy for that.
>
> Gail F.

January 3rd 07, 03:42 AM
Gail Futoran wrote:

> I have 6 cats and sometimes I'll have a health
> or behavior question. I try to look up the
> topic first to see if anyone posted about it
> previously. The advanced search option is
> really handy for that.

I do that a lot too.

Sometimes, I actually want to look up my old posts. I had a computer
problem once and years later had the same problem. So, I was able to
look up my own post and find the solution that was posted back then.

This year. I did a more advance search to find old posts about my cat,
Kira. I was back in college when I got her as a kitten, so I have been
through a few different email addresses since then. But I was able to
find posts and stories I had written about her back when she was a
kitten. It was really nice to read the things I had written about back
when those memories were fresh. I printed them out to save. I'm really
glad they were still there.

barb
January 3rd 07, 03:37 PM
Thanks, Gail, for all that info and taking the trouble to write it all out.
It's good to know what options are there.

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.