PDA

View Full Version : CRF

Larry Anderson
December 31st 06, 10:54 PM
Our 17+ year old female ,"KitKat" has been diagnosed with CRF. She is
pretty far along, and we have been giving her fluids every night, and
she is on Hills K/D. Until a couple of weeks ago she was doing fine,
but she has now started urinating all over the house, and the last
couple of times I tried to give her the fluids, she fought me
violently. She would let me insert the needle, but a minute into the
process, she would howl, scratch and bite. Has anyone else seen this?

Also, she now assumes the "meat loaf" position constantly, even
falling asleep that way.

Gail
January 1st 07, 01:14 AM
I did not have this happen to me. I would speak to the vet about it, though.
Gail
"Larry Anderson" > wrote in message
> Our 17+ year old female ,"KitKat" has been diagnosed with CRF. She is
> pretty far along, and we have been giving her fluids every night, and
> she is on Hills K/D. Until a couple of weeks ago she was doing fine,
> but she has now started urinating all over the house, and the last
> couple of times I tried to give her the fluids, she fought me
> violently. She would let me insert the needle, but a minute into the
> process, she would howl, scratch and bite. Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Also, she now assumes the "meat loaf" position constantly, even
> falling asleep that way.

Ryan Robbins
January 1st 07, 05:58 AM
"Larry Anderson" > wrote in message
> Our 17+ year old female ,"KitKat" has been diagnosed with CRF. She is
> pretty far along, and we have been giving her fluids every night, and
> she is on Hills K/D. Until a couple of weeks ago she was doing fine,
> but she has now started urinating all over the house, and the last
> couple of times I tried to give her the fluids, she fought me
> violently. She would let me insert the needle, but a minute into the
> process, she would howl, scratch and bite. Has anyone else seen this?

She might have a urinary tract infection, which wouldn't be unusual. Talk
with your vet. Also, if you aren't a subscriber, there is a wonderful CRF
support group on Yahoo you can subscribe to. It's Feline-CRF-Support.

Lynne
January 1st 07, 06:11 AM
on Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:54:12 GMT, Larry Anderson >
wrote:

> Our 17+ year old female ,"KitKat" has been diagnosed with CRF. She is
> pretty far along, and we have been giving her fluids every night, and
> she is on Hills K/D. Until a couple of weeks ago she was doing fine,
> but she has now started urinating all over the house, and the last
> couple of times I tried to give her the fluids, she fought me
> violently. She would let me insert the needle, but a minute into the
> process, she would howl, scratch and bite. Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Also, she now assumes the "meat loaf" position constantly, even
> falling asleep that way.

Oh, I'm so sorry you and KitKat are going through this.

Are you rotating the areas where you are inserting the subcutaneous
catheter? She is probably really tender anywhere you have been inserting
the needles, as may have bruising and inflammation. It's important to
make a note where you place the needle each day and move to a new spot
the next day, and another new spot each day, trying to avoid reusing the
same spot more than once every 5-7 days. If you aren't aware of your
options, ask your vet to show you other places where you can insert the
needle. The fluids are probably stinging once they start flowing because
she's raw. There's also, of course, the possibility that she's just sick
and tired of the whole process...

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain

Larry Anderson
January 3rd 07, 05:49 PM
Well, today was the day, The last few days she has been going downhill
fast.

New year's eve she ate pretty good, but didn't move around to much
(she had massive muscle loss from the CRF)

New year's day she was off and on, she ate pretty good in the morning,
but hardly nothing that evening.

Tuesday, she had her first (that we know of) seziure, right as my wife
was walking out the door to go to work. We took her to the vet, and
she told us that the end was prety near, probably in the next couple
of weeks. My wife stayed with her that day, and she hardly moved from
the "meat loaf" position,

This morning, she could hardly walk. She would take 3 or 4 steps, then
meat loaf for 10 minutes or so, not being able to hold her head up.
She messed in the floor last night and it looks like she didn't have
the strength to move, so she layed in it.

We couldn't bear to see her like that, nor could we stand knowing that
she had to endure that. We had her PTS this morning.

ByeBye KitKat, we'll miss ya.

cybercat
January 3rd 07, 06:28 PM
"Larry Anderson" > wrote
> ByeBye KitKat, we'll miss ya.

I'm so sorry, Larry. You can believe that KitKat knew
how much you loved her, and that you were taking the best
care of her. I am sure she did not want to leave you, but
she certainly was suffering.

You did the kindest thing. God Bless you.

Lynne
January 3rd 07, 06:35 PM
on Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:49:40 GMT, Larry Anderson >
wrote:

> We couldn't bear to see her like that, nor could we stand knowing that
> she had to endure that. We had her PTS this morning.
>
> ByeBye KitKat, we'll miss ya.

It was the right time. I'm very sorry for your loss.

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain

Outsider
January 3rd 07, 09:39 PM
Larry Anderson > wrote in
:

> Well, today was the day, The last few days she has been going downhill
> fast.
>
> New year's eve she ate pretty good, but didn't move around to much
> (she had massive muscle loss from the CRF)
>
> New year's day she was off and on, she ate pretty good in the morning,
> but hardly nothing that evening.
>
> Tuesday, she had her first (that we know of) seziure, right as my wife
> was walking out the door to go to work. We took her to the vet, and
> she told us that the end was prety near, probably in the next couple
> of weeks. My wife stayed with her that day, and she hardly moved from
> the "meat loaf" position,
>
> This morning, she could hardly walk. She would take 3 or 4 steps, then
> meat loaf for 10 minutes or so, not being able to hold her head up.
> She messed in the floor last night and it looks like she didn't have
> the strength to move, so she layed in it.
>
> We couldn't bear to see her like that, nor could we stand knowing that
> she had to endure that. We had her PTS this morning.
>
> ByeBye KitKat, we'll miss ya.

My condolences to you both. This is never easy.

Andy

Rene S.
January 4th 07, 08:57 PM
Larry Anderson wrote:
> We couldn't bear to see her like that, nor could we stand knowing that
> she had to endure that. We had her PTS this morning.
>
> ByeBye KitKat, we'll miss ya.

I'm so sorry. You did the right thing by ending her life peacefully.
Hugs to you and yours.