PDA

View Full Version : Oh, come ON! Blueberries???

jmc
January 2nd 07, 11:54 AM
Meep is a very fussy eater, and normally isn't interested in any people
foods ('cept Parmesan cheese)...

I'd just finished a little punnet of blueberries, and when I reached
down to pet her, she was absolutely fascinated by the smell... when I
offered her the empty punnet, you'da thought it had catnip...

Blueberries? My cat likes the smell of BLUEBERRIES?

She's. very. weird. ::sigh::

Anyway. Are blueberries dangerous to cats, if I wanted to see if she'd
actually *eat* one?

jmc

bookie
January 2nd 07, 03:25 PM
jmc wrote:
> Meep is a very fussy eater, and normally isn't interested in any people
> foods ('cept Parmesan cheese)...
>
> I'd just finished a little punnet of blueberries, and when I reached
> down to pet her, she was absolutely fascinated by the smell... when I
> offered her the empty punnet, you'da thought it had catnip...
>
> Blueberries? My cat likes the smell of BLUEBERRIES?
>
> She's. very. weird. ::sigh::
>
> Anyway. Are blueberries dangerous to cats, if I wanted to see if she'd
> actually *eat* one?

one of my cats, Flossie, used to love tinned sweetcorn, and she lived
to the ripe old age of 19 so it can't have done her that much harm
bookie

January 2nd 07, 04:25 PM
"bookie" > wrote:

>> Anyway. Are blueberries dangerous to cats, if I wanted to see if she'd
>> actually *eat* one?
>>
>one of my cats, Flossie, used to love tinned sweetcorn, and she lived
>to the ripe old age of 19 so it can't have done her that much harm
>bookie

What does corn have to do with blueberries?

-mhd

January 2nd 07, 05:42 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> "bookie" > wrote:
>
> >> Anyway. Are blueberries dangerous to cats, if I wanted to see if she'd
> >> actually *eat* one?
> >>
> >one of my cats, Flossie, used to love tinned sweetcorn, and she lived
> >to the ripe old age of 19 so it can't have done her that much harm
> >bookie
>
> What does corn have to do with blueberries?
>
> -mhd

One of our five cats-- and only one-- is a watermelon-philiac. In
season, if one of us is eating watermelon, he begs like a dog until we
mash up a little for him. And he totally cleans the plate.

bookie
January 2nd 07, 06:52 PM
wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote:
>
> >> Anyway. Are blueberries dangerous to cats, if I wanted to see if she'd
> >> actually *eat* one?
> >>
> >one of my cats, Flossie, used to love tinned sweetcorn, and she lived
> >to the ripe old age of 19 so it can't have done her that much harm
> >bookie
>
> What does corn have to do with blueberries?
>
> -mhd
just pointing out that cats eat odd things you wouldn't normally expect
of them but often it does them no harm, sorry for trying to contribute,
jesus f*cking christ! we at a certain time of the month hamandcheese?

Rhonda
January 2nd 07, 06:58 PM
jmc wrote:

> Anyway. Are blueberries dangerous to cats, if I wanted to see if she'd
> actually *eat* one?

Okay, back to your question, hehe, I wouldn't think a blueberry here or
there would hurt. Wellness puts them into their canned cat food (along
with cranberries...)

Rhonda

Lesley
January 3rd 07, 12:41 AM
Rhonda wrote:

> Okay, back to your question, hehe, I wouldn't think a blueberry here or
> there would hurt. Wellness puts them into their canned cat food (along
> with cranberries...)

Years ago Spillers (I think) made a tinned food that was tuna in tomato
sauce- Hey! We got a voucher for a free tin so we tried it...expecting
noses to be turned up at it...Fugazi and Isis (both RB) hoovered it up!

Then for Xmas they did one with turkey and cranberry sauce..they both
turned their noses up at the dried food they'd always preferred! They
licked the bowl so hard it travelled 30 feet in pursuit of the lovely
stuff!

They almost cried when they stopped making that brand!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

January 3rd 07, 02:03 AM
"bookie" > wrote:

wrote:

>> >one of my cats, Flossie, used to love tinned sweetcorn, and she lived
>> >to the ripe old age of 19 so it can't have done her that much harm
>> >bookie
>>
>> What does corn have to do with blueberries?
>>
>> -mhd
>just pointing out that cats eat odd things you wouldn't normally expect
>of them but often it does them no harm, sorry for trying to contribute,
>jesus f*cking christ! we at a certain time of the month hamandcheese?

Hey dip**** - you practical told the OP to go ahead because your cat
eats corn. Does that same advice apply to onions?

-mhd

bookie
January 3rd 07, 04:47 AM
wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote:
>

> wrote:

> >> What does corn have to do with blueberries?
> >>
> >> -mhd
> >just pointing out that cats eat odd things you wouldn't normally expect
> >of them but often it does them no harm, sorry for trying to contribute,
> >jesus f*cking christ! we at a certain time of the month hamandcheese?
>
> Hey dip**** - you practical told the OP to go ahead because your cat
> eats corn. Does that same advice apply to onions?

coudl yopu please respond in english next time, and take note of
tenses? my cat does not eat corn, one of my cats USED to eat sweetcorn
but does nto anymore because she is dead, but not from sweetcorn.

why are you getting all uptight and hormonal because someone deviates
(but still stays on topic)? do you have greater issues away from this
group you need to deal with?

bookie
January 3rd 07, 05:02 AM
Lesley wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
>

> > Okay, back to your question, hehe, I wouldn't think a blueberry here or
> > there would hurt. Wellness puts them into their canned cat food (along
> > with cranberries...)
> >
> Years ago Spillers (I think) made a tinned food that was tuna in tomato
> sauce- Hey! We got a voucher for a free tin so we tried it...expecting
> noses to be turned up at it...Fugazi and Isis (both RB) hoovered it up!
>
> Then for Xmas they did one with turkey and cranberry sauce..they both
> turned their noses up at the dried food they'd always preferred! They
> licked the bowl so hard it travelled 30 feet in pursuit of the lovely
> stuff!
>
> They almost cried when they stopped making that brand!

there are some treats available at a pet shop I visited the other day
which have cranberries in them, maybe to help with their urinary
problems as it can do in humans (cystitis)? can't remember the brand or
anything.

thinking about the tuna in tomato sauce thing, when one cat i had was
temporarily off his food for a few days (would lick the gravy off
chunks at most, turned out to be build up stuff on his teeth making it
painful to chew) a vet friend said to try him on pilchards or sardines
in tomato sauce, normal human foods, and if he didn't eat those them he
MUST be unwell and to bring him in. the vet seemed to think that cats
viewed the above fishy foods as we would chocolate or something (in my
case ben and jerry's ice cream, i am never too ill to eat that) and
that a cat turnign their nose up at it indicated something was badly
wrong.

thing is jasper, cat in question at the time, didn't fancy pilchards or
sardines in tomato sauce even when his teeth had been cleaned and he
was back to normal eating, so this little 'test' did not work on him.
cats are all different, Bookie

> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Rhonda
January 3rd 07, 05:34 AM
Lesley wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
>

>>Okay, back to your question, hehe, I wouldn't think a blueberry here or
>>there would hurt. Wellness puts them into their canned cat food (along
>>with cranberries...)
>>

> Years ago Spillers (I think) made a tinned food that was tuna in tomato
> sauce- Hey! We got a voucher for a free tin so we tried it...expecting
> noses to be turned up at it...Fugazi and Isis (both RB) hoovered it up!

I love that term -- "hoovered." Your language over the pond is so much
more colorful than on this side.

Rhonda

January 3rd 07, 06:35 AM
"bookie" > wrote:

>why are you getting all uptight and hormonal because someone deviates
>(but still stays on topic)? do you have greater issues away from this
>group you need to deal with?

Because you resorted to the trash talk first. I never said you strayed
off topic, I asked how does your reply constitute an answer to the OP.

I'll type this real slow so you can keep up.

When asked if blueberries are safe and if you had responded...
Don't know but my cat likes some weird things - then no problem you're
just being anecdotal.

But to state your cat lived to 19 chowing corn without coming to any
harm as if that answers the question.

> >> Anyway. Are blueberries dangerous to cats, if I wanted to see if she'd
> >> actually *eat* one?
> >>
> >one of my cats, Flossie, used to love tinned sweetcorn, and she lived
> >to the ripe old age of 19 so it can't have done her that much harm
> >bookie

Now do see where "What does corn have to do with blueberries" ?

Seems you're the one who needs a midol cookie.

I'm done with this as you are too thick to waste any more time with.
-mhd

jmc
January 3rd 07, 08:32 AM
Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed
(03-Jan-07 10:33 AM):
> "bookie" > wrote:
>
>> wrote:

>>> What does corn have to do with blueberries?
>>>
>>> -mhd
>> just pointing out that cats eat odd things you wouldn't normally expect
>> of them but often it does them no harm, sorry for trying to contribute,
>> jesus f*cking christ! we at a certain time of the month hamandcheese?
>
> Hey dip**** - you practical told the OP to go ahead because your cat
> eats corn. Does that same advice apply to onions?
>
> -mhd

Oh, c'mon you two. I know what Bookie meant, and I'm intelligent enough
to not feed Meep the blueberries just because corn is OK. But I might
offer her corn when I do dinner tonight, see if she likes it :)

jmc

bookie
January 3rd 07, 02:17 PM
wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote:
>
> >why are you getting all uptight and hormonal because someone deviates
> >(but still stays on topic)? do you have greater issues away from this
> >group you need to deal with?
>
> Because you resorted to the trash talk first. I never said you strayed
> off topic, I asked how does your reply constitute an answer to the OP.
>
> I'll type this real slow so you can keep up.
>
> When asked if blueberries are safe and if you had responded...
> Don't know but my cat likes some weird things - then no problem you're
> just being anecdotal.
>
> But to state your cat lived to 19 chowing corn without coming to any
> harm as if that answers the question.

> > >one of my cats, Flossie, used to love tinned sweetcorn, and she lived
> > >to the ripe old age of 19 so it can't have done her that much harm
> > >bookie
>
> Now do see where "What does corn have to do with blueberries" ?
>
> Seems you're the one who needs a midol cookie.
>
> I'm done with this as you are too thick to waste any more time with.
> -mhd

jesus christ! you obviously do not have enough aggro in your daily life
to deal with so you feel the need to come on here and create some,
whatever floats your boat!

January 3rd 07, 04:52 PM
jmc > wrote:

>Oh, c'mon you two. I know what Bookie meant, and I'm intelligent enough
>to not feed Meep the blueberries just because corn is OK. But I might
>offer her corn when I do dinner tonight, see if she likes it :)
>
>jmc

Hey jmc, if Cookie only had half the verbal diarrhea in her post this
would never have gone this far. Probably having a bad teeth day. Funny
how she talks about aggro and then practically assplodes as she pounds
the keyboard.

Meep will probably love a few corn kernels, especially if it has a
little butter coating on it :-)

Here's some interesting links.
http://dmoz.org/Health/Animal/Mammals/Cats/Nutrition/Toxic_Foods/
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm

-mhd

MoMo via CatKB.com
January 3rd 07, 08:09 PM
One of my cats goes crazy for olives! I was shocked the first time that he
ate one and his desire for them has not stopped over the years, lol. It'll
really surprise you what some cats like to eat.

jmc wrote:
>Meep is a very fussy eater, and normally isn't interested in any people
>foods ('cept Parmesan cheese)...
>
>I'd just finished a little punnet of blueberries, and when I reached
>down to pet her, she was absolutely fascinated by the smell... when I
>offered her the empty punnet, you'da thought it had catnip...
>
>Blueberries? My cat likes the smell of BLUEBERRIES?
>
>She's. very. weird. ::sigh::
>
>Anyway. Are blueberries dangerous to cats, if I wanted to see if she'd
>actually *eat* one?
>
>jmc

Lesley
January 4th 07, 12:50 AM
MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> One of my cats goes crazy for olives! I was shocked the first time that he
> ate one and his desire for them has not stopped over the years, lol. It'll
> really surprise you what some cats like to eat.

I famously claim the all time winner for weird cat tastes ie Speedy
Joe- he liked brown bread (Not white obviously watching his fibre
intake!). chips from the Chinese as well as their chicken curry and
rice (I didn't know back then to avoid onions but he always left them
anyway), apple cores (They had to go a bit brown first and he got
enormous pleasure from stealing them from the bin!) and chocolate which
he would never eat...he just liked to hold it in his mouth until it was
a dissolved gooey mess which he would then dump on the carpet....and I
used to cut cheese with one hand holding the maniac cat back regardless
of what type of cheese...through I seem to remember cheddar and Edam
being what really did it for him

He ate all of those in moderation ie occasional treats.

He once ate a portion of frozen chicken giblets...while it was still
frozen...perhaps as it was a hot day he wanted an ice lolly!

The only thing I can think to explain this is his mum was a feral or
semi feral and he was 4 months old when we got him so perhaps she had
taught him that any sort of food was acceptable

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

January 4th 07, 01:18 AM
In article . com>,
"Lesley" > wrote:

> I famously claim the all time winner for weird cat tastes ie Speedy
> Joe- he liked brown bread

Now, hold on. We have a rescued feral DSH who loves pita chips. Not
potato chips, not corn chips, not tortilla chips, just pita chips. She
gives you a real nasty look if you try any substitutes.

> chocolate which he would never eat...he just liked to hold it in his
> mouth until it was a dissolved gooey mess which he would then dump on
> the carpet

Owning such a cat, you must have either the patience of a saint, or a
psychological problem. I'm not sure which :-)

Lesley
January 4th 07, 01:45 AM
wrote:

> Owning such a cat, you must have either the patience of a saint, or a
> psychological problem. I'm not sure which :-)

BOTH

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

cardarch
January 4th 07, 01:54 AM
I dont see why blueberries would be dangerous to cats. One time I
parboiled green bell peppers in order to stuff them and I put the
peppers to cool in a colander on the table top and left the room. When
I came back the cat was on the table eating the parboiled peppers!
jmc wrote:
> Meep is a very fussy eater, and normally isn't interested in any people
> foods ('cept Parmesan cheese)...
>
> I'd just finished a little punnet of blueberries, and when I reached
> down to pet her, she was absolutely fascinated by the smell... when I
> offered her the empty punnet, you'da thought it had catnip...
>
> Blueberries? My cat likes the smell of BLUEBERRIES?
>
> She's. very. weird. ::sigh::
>
> Anyway. Are blueberries dangerous to cats, if I wanted to see if she'd
> actually *eat* one?
>
> jmc

bookie
January 4th 07, 05:12 AM
wrote:
> jmc > wrote:
>
> >Oh, c'mon you two. I know what Bookie meant, and I'm intelligent enough
> >to not feed Meep the blueberries just because corn is OK. But I might
> >offer her corn when I do dinner tonight, see if she likes it :)
> >
> >jmc
>
> Hey jmc, if Cookie only had half the verbal diarrhea in her post this
> would never have gone this far. Probably having a bad teeth day. Funny
> how she talks about aggro and then practically assplodes as she pounds
> the keyboard.
>
> Meep will probably love a few corn kernels, especially if it has a
> little butter coating on it :-)
>
> Here's some interesting links.
> http://dmoz.org/Health/Animal/Mammals/Cats/Nutrition/Toxic_Foods/
> http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm
>
> -mhd
so you go off on one at me but what about the person who was talking
about tomato flavour in cat food? why not lose your rag at them too?
you are such a pointless little arse wipe aren't you, and it is spelt
'diarrhoea', ****.

amusing though that i have the power to aggravate you so much, makes me
feel all warm and fuzzy inside

bookie
January 4th 07, 05:27 AM
MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> One of my cats goes crazy for olives! I was shocked the first time that he
> ate one and his desire for them has not stopped over the years, lol. It'll
> really surprise you what some cats like to eat.

olives are salty aren't they? might be the saltiness he goes for, i
think that was why one of our family cats used to love the crumbs at
the bottom of crisp packets, and she loved also 'wotsits' crisps which
are puffed up corn crisps i think, coated with bright orange salty
cheesy fake flavour (don't know if you get them in usa). She woudl lick
the flavour off then try to munch the corn afterwards. very strange,
she started recognising the rustle of the crisp packets and would come
running to see if she could beg some from you.

Rhonda
January 4th 07, 06:21 AM
bookie wrote:

> and it is spelt 'diarrhoea', ****.

Not by us crazy Yanks! There's no O in that word.

Oh, and "spelt" is spelled "spelled," and "****" is spelled "twit."

Maybe we could send each other secret decoder rings? Or maybe we could
just go back and forth endlessly?

Rhonda

Charlie Wilkes
January 4th 07, 06:56 AM
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:21:02 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>bookie wrote:
>>
>> and it is spelt 'diarrhoea', ****.
>
>Not by us crazy Yanks! There's no O in that word.

Right. Also the U.S. style is to put the comma inside the quote
marks.

>Oh, and "spelt" is spelled "spelled," and "****" is spelled "twit."

They are two different words, **** being a vulgar expression for the
female pudendum, and so by extension a derogatory label for women;
twit referring to a silly or simple-minded person. I assume bookie
chose the epithet with reasonable care, being as she is punctilious
about words and matters of writing style.

Charlie

>Maybe we could send each other secret decoder rings? Or maybe we could
>just go back and forth endlessly?
>
>Rhonda

jmc
January 4th 07, 08:41 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Rhonda exclaimed (04-Jan-07 2:51 PM):
> bookie wrote:
>>
>> and it is spelt 'diarrhoea', ****.
>
> Not by us crazy Yanks! There's no O in that word.
>
> Oh, and "spelt" is spelled "spelled," and "****" is spelled "twit."
>
> Maybe we could send each other secret decoder rings? Or maybe we could
> just go back and forth endlessly?
>
> Rhonda

England (or Australia) and America: Two Countries Divided By A Common
Language :)

Lived there, done that (Yorkshire even, which really is nearly a foreign
language!). I can say color or colour depending on the audience :)

But, I wanted to know about blueberries, she says plaintively...

jmc

bookie
January 4th 07, 03:10 PM
Charlie Wilkes wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:21:02 GMT, Rhonda >
> wrote:
>
> >bookie wrote:
> >>
> >> and it is spelt 'diarrhoea', ****.
> >
> >Not by us crazy Yanks! There's no O in that word.
>
> Right. Also the U.S. style is to put the comma inside the quote
> marks.
> >
> >Oh, and "spelt" is spelled "spelled," and "****" is spelled "twit."
>
> They are two different words, **** being a vulgar expression for the
> female pudendum, and so by extension a derogatory label for women;
> twit referring to a silly or simple-minded person. I assume bookie
> chose the epithet with reasonable care, being as she is punctilious
> about words and matters of writing style.
>
> Charlie
> >
> >Maybe we could send each other secret decoder rings? Or maybe we could
> >just go back and forth endlessly?
> >
> >Rhonda
no , in my country which is England, where we speak English, and where
the language comes from in the first place, we use 'spelt', have an o
in diarrhoea, and '****' is a generic term for anyone of either gender
who is basically being an a-hole or displaying uncommonly high levels
of stupidity (or low levels of intelligence, whichever you prefer).

enough of the pointless debate on spelling and grammar, it is boring
and not really to do with cats. Maybe you should start your own
newsgroup Charlie for losers who like to pick holes in other people
postings without actually contributing anything of worth to a
conversation or topic?

what a knobcheese

Rhonda
January 4th 07, 03:36 PM
bookie wrote:
> Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:21:02 GMT, Rhonda >
>>wrote:

>>>Not by us crazy Yanks! There's no O in that word.
>>
>>Right. Also the U.S. style is to put the comma inside the quote
>>marks.
>>
>>>Oh, and "spelt" is spelled "spelled," and "****" is spelled "twit."
>>
>>They are two different words, **** being a vulgar expression for the
>>female pudendum, and so by extension a derogatory label for women;
>>twit referring to a silly or simple-minded person. I assume bookie
>>chose the epithet with reasonable care, being as she is punctilious
>>about words and matters of writing style.
>>
>>Charlie
>>
>>>Maybe we could send each other secret decoder rings? Or maybe we could
>>>just go back and forth endlessly?
>>>
>>>Rhonda
>>
> no , in my country which is England, where we speak English, and where
> the language comes from in the first place, we use 'spelt', have an o
> in diarrhoea, and '****' is a generic term for anyone of either gender
> who is basically being an a-hole or displaying uncommonly high levels
> of stupidity (or low levels of intelligence, whichever you prefer).
>
> enough of the pointless debate on spelling and grammar, it is boring
> and not really to do with cats. Maybe you should start your own
> newsgroup Charlie for losers who like to pick holes in other people
> postings without actually contributing anything of worth to a
> conversation or topic?
>
> what a knobcheese

Oh wow, can I be a knobcheese too? I've never in my life been a
knobcheese, as far as I know.

(What is a knobcheese?)

Rhonda

Rhonda
January 4th 07, 03:38 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> Oh wow, can I be a knobcheese too? I've never in my life been a
> knobcheese, as far as I know.
>
> (What is a knobcheese?)
>
> Rhonda

I do think it's important to add -- I'm just crackers about cheese!

Loved that movie.

Rhonda

Matthew
January 4th 07, 03:46 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> bookie wrote:
>> Charlie Wilkes wrote:

>>>Right. Also the U.S. style is to put the comma inside the quote
>>>marks.

>>>They are two different words, **** being a vulgar expression for the
>>>female pudendum, and so by extension a derogatory label for women;
>>>twit referring to a silly or simple-minded person. I assume bookie
>>>chose the epithet with reasonable care, being as she is punctilious
>>>about words and matters of writing style.
>>>
>>>Charlie

>> no , in my country which is England, where we speak English, and where
>> the language comes from in the first place, we use 'spelt', have an o
>> in diarrhoea, and '****' is a generic term for anyone of either gender
>> who is basically being an a-hole or displaying uncommonly high levels
>> of stupidity (or low levels of intelligence, whichever you prefer).
>>
>> enough of the pointless debate on spelling and grammar, it is boring
>> and not really to do with cats. Maybe you should start your own
>> newsgroup Charlie for losers who like to pick holes in other people
>> postings without actually contributing anything of worth to a
>> conversation or topic?
>>
>> what a knobcheese
>
> Oh wow, can I be a knobcheese too? I've never in my life been a
> knobcheese, as far as I know.
>
> (What is a knobcheese?)
>
> Rhonda

It would be a little hard for you to have there Rhonda
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Knobcheese

Rhonda
January 4th 07, 03:47 PM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Rhonda exclaimed (04-Jan-07 2:51 PM):
>
>> bookie wrote:
>>>
>>> and it is spelt 'diarrhoea', ****.
>>
>> Not by us crazy Yanks! There's no O in that word.
>>
>> Oh, and "spelt" is spelled "spelled," and "****" is spelled "twit."
>>
>> Maybe we could send each other secret decoder rings? Or maybe we could
>> just go back and forth endlessly?
>>
>> Rhonda
>
> England (or Australia) and America: Two Countries Divided By A Common
> Language :)
>
> Lived there, done that (Yorkshire even, which really is nearly a foreign
> language!). I can say color or colour depending on the audience :)

Yep, I actually love the differences, and am surprised some can get so
testy about it.

You can get into some trouble there if you don't know differences
between things like trousers and pants, but most of the time the
differences are harmless.

I kept waking up at 3am my last time there and would be awake for hours.
After a few nights I decided to go to a store to get a flashlight to
read in the middle of the night and not wake anyone else up. No one at
the counter knew what a flashlight was and they actually had to call
over a manager to interpret what I was saying! After the fact, I found
out it's called a "torch."

> But, I wanted to know about blueberries, she says plaintively...

Well, I posted about that one, and thought more people would talk about
blueberries but we heard about lots of other strange foods cats will eat.

Rhonda

Rhonda
January 4th 07, 03:59 PM
Matthew wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote
>
>>(What is a knobcheese?)
>>
>>Rhonda

> It would be a little hard for you to have there Rhonda
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Knobcheese

Ha! Oh, that is so weird.

So I'm getting that it's not a compliment, right? lol

Rhonda

January 4th 07, 04:13 PM
In article >,
Charlie Wilkes > wrote:

<snip>

> They are two different words, **** being a vulgar expression for the
> female pudendum, and so by extension a derogatory label for women;
> twit referring to a silly or simple-minded person. I assume bookie
> chose the epithet with reasonable care, being as she is punctilious
> about words and matters of writing style.
>
> Charlie

<snip>

Wow. "Pudendum" and "punctilious" in the same paragraph. The things you
see on the Internet.

bookie
January 4th 07, 05:27 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
> > Oh wow, can I be a knobcheese too? I've never in my life been a
> > knobcheese, as far as I know.
> >
> > (What is a knobcheese?)
> >
> > Rhonda
>

> I do think it's important to add -- I'm just crackers about cheese!
>
> Loved that movie.
>
> Rhonda

not you charlie wilkes

bookie
January 4th 07, 05:32 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
> > "Rhonda" > wrote
> >
> >>(What is a knobcheese?)
> >>
> >>Rhonda
>
> > It would be a little hard for you to have there Rhonda
> > http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Knobcheese
>

> Ha! Oh, that is so weird.
>
> So I'm getting that it's not a compliment, right? lol
>
> Rhonda
wasn't meant for you, I thought I was replying to someone else's
posting but in my hurry I did not. like the urban dictionary thing, now
I can look up all the new names and phrases my pupils call me from time
to time. I thought knobcheese had been aruond for a while, here it has
been

bookie

bookie
January 4th 07, 05:50 PM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Rhonda exclaimed (04-Jan-07 2:51 PM):
> > bookie wrote:
> >>
> >> and it is spelt 'diarrhoea', ****.
> >
> > Not by us crazy Yanks! There's no O in that word.
> >
> > Oh, and "spelt" is spelled "spelled," and "****" is spelled "twit."
> >
> > Maybe we could send each other secret decoder rings? Or maybe we could
> > just go back and forth endlessly?
> >
> > Rhonda
> >

> England (or Australia) and America: Two Countries Divided By A Common
> Language :)
>
> Lived there, done that (Yorkshire even, which really is nearly a foreign
> language!). I can say color or colour depending on the audience :)
>
> But, I wanted to know about blueberries, she says plaintively...

i am sure a blueberry or 2 will not hurt, i wouldn't think a cat would
eat something which woud really harm them, especially considerign all
the other weird stuff they eat too as shown onthis thread (whether some
people like it or not).
in fact one of my cats used to eat wool, she used to chew great holes
in jumpers and suchlike so we could never leave anything woolly or
fleecey lying around. We think it was due to being taken from her mum
too early, she woudl try to sckle anythign she was lying on like a
blanket or something (they were rescue kittens found in box by side of
road, very sad, no mum around apparantly). Usually the bits used to go
through her until one day she decided to ingest a cord from a pair of
pyjamas, whole, it got stuck inside her intestines and she had to be
taken off to the vets to be cut open to have it removed, silly sausage.
After that trauma she kind of stopped doing it.

so compared to that I don't think blueberries would be that bad.

actually jessie is quiet partial to pesto sauce when left behind after
I have finished some pasta, again probably the salt and the parmesan
thing.

bookie

bookie
January 4th 07, 06:05 PM
bookie wrote:
> Rhonda wrote:
> > Matthew wrote:
> > > "Rhonda" > wrote

> > > It would be a little hard for you to have there Rhonda
> > > http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Knobcheese
> >

> > Ha! Oh, that is so weird.
> >
> > So I'm getting that it's not a compliment, right? lol
> >
> > Rhonda
> wasn't meant for you, I thought I was replying to someone else's
> posting but in my hurry I did not. like the urban dictionary thing, now
> I can look up all the new names and phrases my pupils call me from time
> to time. I thought knobcheese had been aruond for a while, here it has
> been
>
> bookie
actually thinking about it, it wasn't meant for charlie wilkes but for
hamandcheese whoever he/she is

I am getting confused now, thats what comes of hopping back and forth
to this group in between filling in long and tedious job applications

sorry

cybercat
January 4th 07, 06:11 PM
"bookie" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Charlie Wilkes wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 05:21:02 GMT, Rhonda >
>> wrote:

>> >Not by us crazy Yanks! There's no O in that word.
>>
>> Right. Also the U.S. style is to put the comma inside the quote
>> marks.
>> >
>> >Oh, and "spelt" is spelled "spelled," and "****" is spelled "twit."
>>
>> They are two different words, **** being a vulgar expression for the
>> female pudendum, and so by extension a derogatory label for women;
>> twit referring to a silly or simple-minded person. I assume bookie
>> chose the epithet with reasonable care, being as she is punctilious
>> about words and matters of writing style.
>>
>> Charlie
>> >
>> >Maybe we could send each other secret decoder rings? Or maybe we could
>> >just go back and forth endlessly?
>> >
>> >Rhonda
> no , in my country which is England, where we speak English, and where
> the language comes from in the first place, we use 'spelt', have an o
> in diarrhoea, and '****' is a generic term for anyone of either gender
> who is basically being an a-hole or displaying uncommonly high levels
> of stupidity (or low levels of intelligence, whichever you prefer).
>
> enough of the pointless debate on spelling and grammar, it is boring
> and not really to do with cats. Maybe you should start your own
> newsgroup Charlie for losers who like to pick holes in other people
> postings without actually contributing anything of worth to a
> conversation or topic?
>
> what a knobcheese

Um. Can't either of you idiots get your attributions right?
JESUS. You've been on here for weeks now.

Charlie appears to be defending you. Were you talking to
Rhonda?

January 4th 07, 06:15 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote
> (What is a knobcheese?)

I have heard of "knob-polishing" so I think the knob is
the head of the dick. I bet you can figure out the rest, esp. considering a
lot of Brits are uncircumcised.

January 4th 07, 06:16 PM
> wrote in message
> In article >,
> Charlie Wilkes > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> They are two different words, **** being a vulgar expression for the
>> female pudendum, and so by extension a derogatory label for women;
>> twit referring to a silly or simple-minded person. I assume bookie
>> chose the epithet with reasonable care, being as she is punctilious
>> about words and matters of writing style.
>>
>> Charlie
>
> <snip>
>
> Wow. "Pudendum" and "punctilious" in the same paragraph. The things you
> see on the Internet.

Charlie is a very fine writer. He has a CAT, too.

bookie
January 4th 07, 06:19 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> >> Right. Also the U.S. style is to put the comma inside the quote
> >> marks.

> >> They are two different words, **** being a vulgar expression for the
> >> female pudendum, and so by extension a derogatory label for women;
> >> twit referring to a silly or simple-minded person. I assume bookie
> >> chose the epithet with reasonable care, being as she is punctilious
> >> about words and matters of writing style.
> >>
> >> Charlie

> > no , in my country which is England, where we speak English, and where
> > the language comes from in the first place, we use 'spelt', have an o
> > in diarrhoea, and '****' is a generic term for anyone of either gender
> > who is basically being an a-hole or displaying uncommonly high levels
> > of stupidity (or low levels of intelligence, whichever you prefer).
> >
> > enough of the pointless debate on spelling and grammar, it is boring
> > and not really to do with cats. Maybe you should start your own
> > newsgroup Charlie for losers who like to pick holes in other people
> > postings without actually contributing anything of worth to a
> > conversation or topic?
> >
> > what a knobcheese
> >

> Um. Can't either of you idiots get your attributions right?
> JESUS. You've been on here for weeks now.
>
> Charlie appears to be defending you. Were you talking to
> Rhonda?

no was talking to this hamandcheese 'person', it has been a long and
tiring couple of days recently with job application and interviews,
none of which will bear any fruit i expect, losing track of days now

bookie
January 4th 07, 06:24 PM
> I kept waking up at 3am my last time there and would be awake for hours.
> After a few nights I decided to go to a store to get a flashlight to
> read in the middle of the night and not wake anyone else up. No one at
> the counter knew what a flashlight was and they actually had to call
> over a manager to interpret what I was saying! After the fact, I found
> out it's called a "torch."

so where are you? in yorkshire? if you are not sure then look around
you; if there are lots of people wearing flat caps, talking about
cricket, putting ferrets down their trousers, and saying "eeee by
gum!!!" on a regular basis then you are in Yorkshire.

Rhonda
January 4th 07, 07:17 PM
bookie wrote:

Rhonda wrote:
>>I kept waking up at 3am my last time there and would be awake for hours.
>>After a few nights I decided to go to a store to get a flashlight to
>>read in the middle of the night and not wake anyone else up. No one at
>>the counter knew what a flashlight was and they actually had to call
>>over a manager to interpret what I was saying! After the fact, I found
>>out it's called a "torch."
>>

> so where are you? in yorkshire?

In Washington state, right now anyway.

> if you are not sure then look around
> you; if there are lots of people wearing flat caps, talking about
> cricket, putting ferrets down their trousers, and saying "eeee by
> gum!!!" on a regular basis then you are in Yorkshire.

I've been up around the Manchester and the Blackpool area --we went
through or past Yorkshire. I didn't get to talk to anyone there but saw
lots of sheep.

Ferrets down their trousers? I don't know if I want to know any details...

The place that couldn't understand my English was in London. If I ever
go again, I'll bring an English/American cheat sheet.

Rhonda

January 4th 07, 07:24 PM
In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> Charlie is a very fine writer. He has a CAT, too.

And fans leaping unnecessarily to his defense, as well. Pretty good for
Usenet.

Rhonda
January 4th 07, 07:27 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote
>
>>(What is a knobcheese?)
>
> I have heard of "knob-polishing" so I think the knob is
> the head of the dick. I bet you can figure out the rest, esp. considering a
> lot of Brits are uncircumcised.

Yep, that was it, way different than what I thought! The term sounds so
cute though.

I love British cuss words, one of my favorites is "******." It's such an
adorable word.

Rhonda

cybercat
January 4th 07, 07:56 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>> "Rhonda" > wrote
>>
>>>(What is a knobcheese?)
>>
>> I have heard of "knob-polishing" so I think the knob is
>> the head of the dick. I bet you can figure out the rest, esp. considering
>> a lot of Brits are uncircumcised.
>
> Yep, that was it, way different than what I thought! The term sounds so
> cute though.
>
> I love British cuss words, one of my favorites is "******." It's such an
> adorable word.

hahaha! It is kind of cute, isn't it?

January 4th 07, 07:58 PM
> wrote in message
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> Charlie is a very fine writer. He has a CAT, too.
>
> And fans leaping unnecessarily to his defense, as well. Pretty good for
> Usenet.

That's right, I am President of the Charlie Wilkes Fan Club.

As such, I guess I will blinking decide what is blinking necessary, now
won't I?

>: []

Lynne
January 4th 07, 07:58 PM
on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 16:50:07 GMT, "bookie" >
wrote:

> i wouldn't think a cat would
> eat something which woud really harm them

> in fact one of my cats used to eat wool
<snip>
> it got stuck inside her intestines and she had to be
> taken off to the vets to be cut open to have it removed, silly sausage.

Anyone else see the irony here?

I wish people would refrain from guessing when it comes to health and
safety concerns.

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain

sheelagh
January 4th 07, 08:27 PM

> > bookie
> actually thinking about it, it wasn't meant for charlie wilkes but for
> hamandcheese whoever he/she is
>
> I am getting confused now, thats what comes of hopping back and forth
> to this group in between filling in long and tedious job applications
>
> sorry
Hi,
I was just wondering how the tedious job hunting Is going.
I don't know If this is your experience, but I have found that some
firms don't even have the bloody courtesy to even reply?!!
Bit much really when you have taken the trouble to ask nicely, Is it?
S.

Lynne
January 4th 07, 08:39 PM
on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 19:27:32 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> Subject: OT:HOWS THE JOB HUNTING GOING?

Hey Sheelagh, see how your subject line is in all capital letters, and
remember when Cybercat was asking you to turn off the caps lock? 'Caps' is
short for capital letters.

I find you to be a sweetheart, but the all caps thing is still really
annoying.

Now that doesn't mean you should bow to my wishes! Of course you
shouldn't!! Just keep in mind that on Usenet and on many forums it is
considered yelling when you type in all capital letters... And it's
irritating as hell. JMO (=just my opinion)

Thanks!

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain

Lynne
January 4th 07, 09:11 PM
on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 14:10:15 GMT, "bookie" >
wrote:

> '****' is a generic term for anyone of either gender
> who is basically being an a-hole or displaying uncommonly high levels
> of stupidity (or low levels of intelligence, whichever you prefer)

In case anyone still isn't clear:

Twit is what Bookie is most of the time when she's giving cat advice, and
**** is what Bookie is when she's ranting at someone. HTH!

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain

Matthew
January 4th 07, 09:17 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 14:10:15 GMT, "bookie" >
> wrote:
>
>> '****' is a generic term for anyone of either gender
>> who is basically being an a-hole or displaying uncommonly high levels
>> of stupidity (or low levels of intelligence, whichever you prefer)
>
> In case anyone still isn't clear:
>
> Twit is what Bookie is most of the time when she's giving cat advice, and
> **** is what Bookie is when she's ranting at someone. HTH!

ROFLMAO :)
> Lynne
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/
>
> "First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
> -- Mark Twain

January 4th 07, 09:24 PM
In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "cybercat" > wrote:
> >
> >> Charlie is a very fine writer. He has a CAT, too.
> >
> > And fans leaping unnecessarily to his defense, as well. Pretty good for
> > Usenet.
>
> That's right, I am President of the Charlie Wilkes Fan Club.
>
> As such, I guess I will blinking decide what is blinking necessary, now
> won't I?
>
> >: []

Oh, now. Is it really necessary to blink?

sheelagh
January 4th 07, 10:28 PM

> > Subject: OT:HOWS THE JOB HUNTING GOING?
>
> Hey Sheelagh, see how your subject line is in all capital letters, and
> remember when Cybercat was asking you to turn off the caps lock? 'Caps' is
> short for capital letters.
>
> I find you to be a sweetheart, but the all caps thing is still really
> annoying.
>
> Now that doesn't mean you should bow to my wishes! Of course you
> shouldn't!! Just keep in mind that on Usenet and on many forums it is
> considered yelling when you type in all capital letters... And it's
> irritating as hell. JMO (=just my opinion)
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Lynne
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/
>
> "First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
> -- Mark T
Oh Dear,
Unintentional.Really does help when people do explain though.

Thanks for pointing It out.Now that I know, I can understand why people
get upset by It.

To start with, I thought It was litteraly because I was using capital
letters.Now that I am aware that It is considered rude, I can
understand why people get upset by It.
I have much to learn.....

Isn't It ironic that we share the same language, yet It's conertations
can be so different?
Rather the same s the debate about pants, meaning underware over here,
but trousers over there?!
Before someone points out that I spelt conertations wrong, sorry:(I'm
spelling phoneticaly)...
And, sorry Bookie & Cyber too
S:o)

cybercat
January 4th 07, 10:44 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> > Subject: OT:HOWS THE JOB HUNTING GOING?
>>
>> Hey Sheelagh, see how your subject line is in all capital letters, and
>> remember when Cybercat was asking you to turn off the caps lock? 'Caps'
>> is
>> short for capital letters.
>>
>> I find you to be a sweetheart, but the all caps thing is still really
>> annoying.
>>
>> Now that doesn't mean you should bow to my wishes! Of course you
>> shouldn't!! Just keep in mind that on Usenet and on many forums it is
>> considered yelling when you type in all capital letters... And it's
>> irritating as hell. JMO (=just my opinion)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Lynne
>>
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/what.the.hell.is.it/
>>
>> "First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
>> -- Mark T
> Oh Dear,
> Unintentional.Really does help when people do explain though.
>
> Thanks for pointing It out.Now that I know, I can understand why people
> get upset by It.
>
> To start with, I thought It was litteraly because I was using capital
> letters.Now that I am aware that It is considered rude, I can
> understand why people get upset by It.
> I have much to learn.....
>
> Isn't It ironic that we share the same language, yet It's conertations
> can be so different?
> Rather the same s the debate about pants, meaning underware over here,
> but trousers over there?!
> Before someone points out that I spelt conertations wrong, sorry:(I'm
> spelling phoneticaly)...
> And, sorry Bookie & Cyber too
> S:o)

And stop capitalizind the I in it. :) Just the I in "I" as in "I am" is
capitalized, or the "I" that begins a sentence such as "International phone
rates have been increased."

January 4th 07, 10:45 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Lynne" > wrote in message
> m...
>> on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 14:10:15 GMT, "bookie" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> '****' is a generic term for anyone of either gender
>>> who is basically being an a-hole or displaying uncommonly high levels
>>> of stupidity (or low levels of intelligence, whichever you prefer)
>>
>> In case anyone still isn't clear:
>>
>> Twit is what Bookie is most of the time when she's giving cat advice, and
>> **** is what Bookie is when she's ranting at someone. HTH!
>>

> ROFLMAO :)

I gotta say .... ME TOO

January 4th 07, 10:46 PM
> wrote in message
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message

>> > And fans leaping unnecessarily to his defense, as well. Pretty good for
>> > Usenet.
>>
>> That's right, I am President of the Charlie Wilkes Fan Club.
>>
>> As such, I guess I will blinking decide what is blinking necessary, now
>> won't I?
>>
>> >: []
>
> Oh, now. Is it really necessary to blink?

I am also the Certified Chairwoman of Blinking. Anything else? *blink blink*
Hmm?

January 4th 07, 10:52 PM
In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> I am also the Certified Chairwoman of Blinking. Anything else? *blink blink*
> Hmm?

I'm melting, I'm melting...

Lynne
January 4th 07, 11:24 PM
on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 18:58:07 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> That's right, I am President of the Charlie Wilkes Fan Club.

Where do I sign up? *swoon*

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain

cybercat
January 4th 07, 11:34 PM
> wrote in message
> In article >,
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> I am also the Certified Chairwoman of Blinking. Anything else? *blink
>> blink*
>> Hmm?
>
> I'm melting, I'm melting...

Did I SAY you could melt?

>:\

bookie
January 5th 07, 12:46 AM
sheelagh wrote:
> Before someone points out that I spelt conertations wrong, sorry:(I'm
> spelling phoneticaly)...
connotations

bookie
January 5th 07, 01:03 AM
sheelagh wrote:

> > > bookie
> > actually thinking about it, it wasn't meant for charlie wilkes but for
> > hamandcheese whoever he/she is
> >
> > I am getting confused now, thats what comes of hopping back and forth
> > to this group in between filling in long and tedious job applications
> >
> > sorry
> Hi,
> I was just wondering how the tedious job hunting Is going.
> I don't know If this is your experience, but I have found that some
> firms don't even have the bloody courtesy to even reply?!!
> Bit much really when you have taken the trouble to ask nicely, Is it?
> S.

going absolutely disastrously, I am either over-qualified or do not
have the appropriate amount of experience for some of thwe poxy jobs on
offer whch really only require a small dose of common sense to be able
to do. Also have small issue of one of my previous schools giving a me
bad references to other schools I have interviewed at resulting in the
job offer then being rescinded (withdrawn) or me not getting offered
the job because of this. I knwo because they have told me the reasons
when i asked why.
The annoying thing is i did not get sacked or ever clock up any
warnings or anything from this school who are slating me, so how they
can justify the bad reference is beyond me. Sod 'em, I hate teaching
anyway, but would like to be able to get out of debt, off the dole and
pay some bills which have been mounting up.

the other annoying thing is that with some companies you are expected
to fill out, usually online, some highly complicated application form
including long winded questions requiring you to 'outline in no more
than 250 words a time when you inspired others in your team to take a
risk' blah blah blah. IT IS ALL SUCH ********!!!!! what has half of
that got to do with the jobs I am applying for? absolutely nothing!!!!
there are a few others like that one such as 'describe a time when you
were able to persuade a group of people to undertake a task you had set
them and complete it succesfully'. Well, how about every bloody day in
the classroom when you are faced with 30 odd obnoxious kids who don't
want to be there either but you have to get them to do the work set,
perform the highly dangerous chemistry practical without killing or
permanantly injuring anyone in the whole building, and clear up after
themselves, then get out of there alive, does that count??!!!!???

it is these kinds of tedious questions that really **** me off cos they
take up so much time to answer and are really just totally ****ing
stupid, they are mostly aimed at gormless new graduates who have not
actually worked in the outside world yet but to em they are rather
insulting. It is often really tempting to just put down "I have taught
science in secondary state schools in fairly crappy deprived areas and
I have lived to tell the tale" to all these stupid questions but I
doubt it would get me very far with the knobs in HR who read the forms.

Applying for jobs and getting constant rejection doesn't make me sad it
makes me angry, especially considering my eduactional background and
qualifications.

tell me how did you manage to get by and hold down jobs in the past
when you could not rad or write? i am really curious how you would
manage it.

bookie

btw jessie has come back , she sat outisde for about an hour and then
decided to go and wail at the back door which was shut for a bit. I had
left the front door open for her as she went out that way and I thought
she would come back that way too, but instead she decided to go for a
wander, down an alleyway by the side of the house and expected the back
door to be opened magically for her. She obviusly thinks I should just
know psychically which door she wants to come in through and be there
ready to open it for her.

bookie
January 5th 07, 01:07 AM
Lynne wrote:
> on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 14:10:15 GMT, "bookie" >
> wrote:
>
> > '****' is a generic term for anyone of either gender
> > who is basically being an a-hole or displaying uncommonly high levels
> > of stupidity (or low levels of intelligence, whichever you prefer)
>
> In case anyone still isn't clear:
>
> Twit is what Bookie is most of the time when she's giving cat advice, and
> **** is what Bookie is when she's ranting at someone. HTH!
>
> --
> Lynne

and sad twisted old cow is what you are when you come out with things
like that, who pressed your buttons anyway?

bookie
January 5th 07, 01:10 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> bookie wrote:
>
> Rhonda wrote:
> >>I kept waking up at 3am my last time there and would be awake for hours.
> >>After a few nights I decided to go to a store to get a flashlight to
> >>read in the middle of the night and not wake anyone else up. No one at
> >>the counter knew what a flashlight was and they actually had to call
> >>over a manager to interpret what I was saying! After the fact, I found
> >>out it's called a "torch."
> >>

> > so where are you? in yorkshire?
>
> In Washington state, right now anyway.
>
> > if you are not sure then look around
> > you; if there are lots of people wearing flat caps, talking about
> > cricket, putting ferrets down their trousers, and saying "eeee by
> > gum!!!" on a regular basis then you are in Yorkshire.
>
> I've been up around the Manchester and the Blackpool area --we went
> through or past Yorkshire. I didn't get to talk to anyone there but saw
> lots of sheep.
>
> Ferrets down their trousers? I don't know if I want to know any details...
>
> The place that couldn't understand my English was in London. If I ever
> go again, I'll bring an English/American cheat sheet.
>
> Rhonda

no, try speaking polish that might help considering all the polish
people living there at present

sheelagh
January 5th 07, 06:53 AM
> [...]
> makes me angry, especially considering my eduactional background and
> qualifications.
>
> tell me how did you manage to get by and hold down jobs in the past
> when you could not rad or write? i am really curious how you would
> manage
>
> bookie
>
> btw jessie has come back , she sat outisde for about an hour and then
> decided to go and wail at the back door which was shut for a bit. I had
> left the front door open for her as she went out that way and I thought
> she would come back that way too, but instead she decided to go for a
> wander, down an alleyway by the side of the house and expected the back
> door to be opened magically for her. She obviusly thinks I should just
> know psychically which door she wants to come in through and be there
..
Typical feline behaviour and train of thought too really, isn't it?
Open one, & they look at you as though you are demented..yet leave one
closed & that is the exact one they desire you to open of course.

I used to leave the down stairs lav window open for the mogg's, until
one day.I left it a little too open and we were burgled by some smack
heads looking for anything that they might sell for immediate cash
value @ cash converter's.
It wasn't so much what they took and sold, it was the sentimental value
of some of the items that hurt most.

They took a cam corder,couple of mobile phoes,the dvd player & one of
the schools laptop's-that took some explaining...anyway,as I was
saying,it wasn't particularly the cam corder,it was the tape inside it
of the kids when Jack was in the speacial care baby unit;Tilly's
christening ect.

Since then,I have found myself checking everything twice before leaving
the house.I have decided that the only anwer has got to be a cat flap
that is well away from any door or place where they can reach anything
of sentimental value, ever agin-hence is it possible to fit a cat flap
through glass?I had upvc fitted windows and doors fitted..dumb ass that
I am, I forgot to consider where the hell I am going to fit the cat
-flap.

> tell me how did you manage to get by and hold down jobs in the past
> when you could not rad or write? i am really curious how you would
> manage it.

Mainly bull****.I have never really ever held any sort of academic
postions before.
I worked in a butchers,deli & bakery for many many years.The boss knew
I couldn't read,& could barely write my own name, but it wan't an
issue.

I happened to be purchasing some meat for tea one day, when she asked
the group of 6th formers if anyone of them wanted a job that particular
evening-wahsing up after closing hours.
I have no idea what posesed me, but as not even one of them was very
forthcoming, I said that I would do it if she really did need
someone.After closing, she asked me if I wanted a regular job doing it,
so I agreed to take it.This went on for some months,until one day she
asked me to put the new stock away that had just been delivered.At that
point I had no option other than to admit I had a problem.

Instead of sacking me on the spot, she worked out a colour coding sytme
for me to help me know what went where in the fridges and freezers( a
lot of it was common sense anyway(ie:meat goes in ther meat chiller,
cakes go in the freezer ect)

Then she taught new other skills, such as sausage making, how to use
the oven,what temperatures were needed to bake specific items such as
bread,cakes & turkeys.It wasn't hard to know what people wanted, & as
she knew I had problems with it, she never made me deal with phone
orders.By this stage I was learnig my alphabet with her & had started
to recognise some words too.I could count which was the most important
qualification in that job-I didn't find ham, beef or pork too
difficult,so I could follow basic orders-paractising baking at 4am took
a bit of learning, but once taought, it was a doddle to follow orders
for customers(don't forget I live in a village, so knew most people and
what they wanted).I didn't need to be able to read that I needed to
follow basic health risk's, such as washing my hands,& in the end I was
baking for her, running the butchery & taking telephone orders as well
as making them via memory & reminders.

I did this job for years, but eventually she sold the shop to a vet,
who took me on to help with animal husbandry.Lola Is the name of the
vet up here, & Julia saved me the humiliation of having to admit it to
her(my old boss!).My duties consisted of litteral animal husbandry,& by
this time, my daughter Katie was starting to help me at home with
reading,spelling & writing -out of all of them I found wrting the
hardest-I had to learn how to hold a pen and write-Try using the oposit
hand to your normal one, then you will understand exactly what I
mean,lol!

I was able to folow basic instruction because abc was fairly simple-it
was copying and writing that got to my knickers in a twist.I quite
enjoyed that job, but it all came to a sudden end because my
partner,Paul, broke his [email protected] work.He was a maintainance fitter at a
brick manufactury(London Brick Company)

I was needed at home, so bang went the job...However,It gave the time
to start concentrating soley on the reading, writing, and education in
general.It has been a very mixed blessing, but on the whole I am glad
that I did bother in the end.
I went to remedial classes because they were free,& worked up from
there.I would love to do a Gcse If I could eventually though.I can
honestly say that It has changed my life.Afer that I decided to a
simple IT course, & here I am today:o)

The vast amjority of people are really god to me when I *came out*
2years ago, but I stilll get the odd **** who thnkis it's funny to have
a jibe, I suppose..Sod them...Simple really!Paul, my better half has
been doing a lot to hel pout with the writing and reading too.
I know more than he does interlectualy, but he can do a better job of
putting it down on paper- so between us, we make a formidable
partnership,lol....
Occasionally I work for a chap who works on one of the Usaf bases,
selling chicken kebabs.It is cash in hand & I need the cash quite often
to keep the moggies in vet fee's.
That is why she does me good favour's, becuase she kmows that she only
has to say that she needs me desperately for a morning or night if she
happens to have a sicky in, then I will go in & do ob's for her & care
overnight, umness medication is needed,I can work alone Still enjoy it
& And it gets me out of theses four walls.
The cats were a by product of working at thr vets and also where aI got
the second ragdoll from-a lady who coudn't settle her bill & had
frankly hads enough-Stupid freak!!!!!I love all of my cat equally, but
all of them seperate reasons.

I feel for you with the applications Bookie~I know how bloody miserable
it can be.
You spend hours trying to be creative, polite and ineresting.. & they
cant even be arsed to write a foot note back.
My daughter Katie, has just had to work for social services right
through the summer for absolutely nothing-not a single
penny!!!fultime, too...
Have fun!!!!
The reason for thiss was because she wants to do a post graduate degree
to become a social worker.The things that they*make* you do in the name
of education?!!!!!Her boyfriend is doing medecine-even harder...makes
you wonder why sometimes doesn't It?
Keep me up to date with how It all goes, won't you?And we wish you
every bit of lck tthatyou might need to get the career that you want!!
S;o)

jmc
January 5th 07, 12:24 PM
Suddenly, without warning, bookie exclaimed (05-Jan-07 2:54 AM):
>> I kept waking up at 3am my last time there and would be awake for hours.
>> After a few nights I decided to go to a store to get a flashlight to
>> read in the middle of the night and not wake anyone else up. No one at
>> the counter knew what a flashlight was and they actually had to call
>> over a manager to interpret what I was saying! After the fact, I found
>> out it's called a "torch."
>>
> so where are you? in yorkshire? if you are not sure then look around
> you; if there are lots of people wearing flat caps, talking about
> cricket, putting ferrets down their trousers, and saying "eeee by
> gum!!!" on a regular basis then you are in Yorkshire.

Ah wuz, didn't see any ferrets <g> but Crikey! I'm in Australia now!
All they talk about is cricket too. And some teeny little thing called
the Ashes, which they tell me they've won back from the Poms :) (Oddly,
I never heard a British slang word for Aussies)

For those who are wondering about this Yorkshire thing, check out
http://www.yorkshire-dialect.org..."If tha knows nowt, say nowt an appen
nob'dy 'll notice."

My favorite British expression is "and Bob's your uncle"
(http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bob1.htm). I also like "cooking
with gas" but can't remember where I got that one.

See? I'm practically trilingual!

Just to stick a cat in here someplace, it's no wonder we call Meep "the
Travelcat". We sometimes wonder if cats have accents too, to each other.

jmc

jmc
January 5th 07, 12:27 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Lynne exclaimed (05-Jan-07 4:28 AM):
> on Thu, 04 Jan 2007 16:50:07 GMT, "bookie" >
> wrote:
>
>> i wouldn't think a cat would
>> eat something which woud really harm them
>
>> in fact one of my cats used to eat wool
> <snip>
>> it got stuck inside her intestines and she had to be
>> taken off to the vets to be cut open to have it removed, silly sausage.
>
> Anyone else see the irony here?
>
> I wish people would refrain from guessing when it comes to health and
> safety concerns.

That's OK, it's pretty well moot anyway. I offered her one and she
wouldn't eat it. Like coffee, she just likes the smell.

jmc