PDA

View Full Version : Rescued kitty has leukemia, should I...


FrankG
January 4th 07, 04:24 PM
...get kitty neutered? The vet warned me that this could cause the kitty to
go
downhill from the surgery. Kitty is spraying all over the place I'm
renting. I love him so much I hate to lose him from the surgery. Has
anyone else faced this?

Gail
January 4th 07, 04:54 PM
I would take the chance and have it done. Usually these cats are euthanized
so for you to keep him, you will have to have him neutered.
Gail
"FrankG" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> ..get kitty neutered? The vet warned me that this could cause the kitty
> to
> go
> downhill from the surgery. Kitty is spraying all over the place I'm
> renting. I love him so much I hate to lose him from the surgery. Has
> anyone else faced this?
>
>

FrankG
January 4th 07, 04:57 PM
He's been doing so well though, I mean he is spunky and playful and is
eating good. I know cats with leukemia are sometimes put down sooner than
later, and others go on for a while with any problems. Thanx for the input
though.


"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I would take the chance and have it done. Usually these cats are
euthanized
> so for you to keep him, you will have to have him neutered.
> Gail
> "FrankG" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > ..get kitty neutered? The vet warned me that this could cause the kitty
> > to
> > go
> > downhill from the surgery. Kitty is spraying all over the place I'm
> > renting. I love him so much I hate to lose him from the surgery. Has
> > anyone else faced this?
> >
> >
>
>

Rhonda
January 4th 07, 06:24 PM
Frank,

I've never had an Felv cat, but I would maybe talk to more vets for
opinions and find cat rescue groups who have dealt with it.

There is a website here with a group of Felv cat owners, also the
website owner has an email contact so she might have some advice:

http://www.the-cats-meow.ca/fiv.html

Good luck,

Rhonda

FrankG wrote:
> ..get kitty neutered? The vet warned me that this could cause the kitty to
> go
> downhill from the surgery. Kitty is spraying all over the place I'm
> renting. I love him so much I hate to lose him from the surgery. Has
> anyone else faced this?
>
>

Phil P.
January 6th 07, 12:14 PM
"FrankG" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> ..get kitty neutered? The vet warned me that this could cause the kitty
to
> go
> downhill from the surgery. Kitty is spraying all over the place I'm
> renting. I love him so much I hate to lose him from the surgery. Has
> anyone else faced this?


Neutering is not nearly as invasive or traumatic for males as it for
females. If the cat is otherwise healthy and asymptomatic, I would have him
neutered. He'll probably be a much calmer cat and won't be stressed by the
urge to roam or go into a frenzy every time he catches a whiff of a cycling
female. Neutering doesn't affect either fear aggression or predatory
aggression but it certainly reduces male dominant aggression and territorial
aggression big time-- Reducing stress in an FeLV+ cat is of paramount
importance for keeping him asymptomatic for as long as possible.

Btw, if your cat tested positive on the vet's in-clinic ELISA Snap test,
you should have the results confirmed by the IFA (immunofluorescent
antibody) assay. You might be very pleasantly surprised. The ELISA Snap is
a screening test *only*- it is *not* diagnostic for persistent,
marrow-origin FeLV infection. Many- if not most- ELISA Snap positives are
the result of *transient* infections or a minute amount of circulating
antigen. IOW, your cat might have eliminated the virus.

Best of luck,

Phil

LEK383
January 7th 07, 04:19 PM
Thanks Phil and others who responded. I am planning on having kitty
neutered. I will be returning to my former vet who is excellent. The vet I
had started going to is not a good match for me or my kitties, but thought
I'd try them out since I moved..

Kitty had two feline leukemia tests and tested positive on both. I'm hoping
it reverses itself.






"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>
> "FrankG" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > ..get kitty neutered? The vet warned me that this could cause the kitty
> to
> > go
> > downhill from the surgery. Kitty is spraying all over the place I'm
> > renting. I love him so much I hate to lose him from the surgery. Has
> > anyone else faced this?
>
>
> Neutering is not nearly as invasive or traumatic for males as it for
> females. If the cat is otherwise healthy and asymptomatic, I would have
him
> neutered. He'll probably be a much calmer cat and won't be stressed by
the
> urge to roam or go into a frenzy every time he catches a whiff of a
cycling
> female. Neutering doesn't affect either fear aggression or predatory
> aggression but it certainly reduces male dominant aggression and
territorial
> aggression big time-- Reducing stress in an FeLV+ cat is of paramount
> importance for keeping him asymptomatic for as long as possible.
>
> Btw, if your cat tested positive on the vet's in-clinic ELISA Snap test,
> you should have the results confirmed by the IFA (immunofluorescent
> antibody) assay. You might be very pleasantly surprised. The ELISA Snap
is
> a screening test *only*- it is *not* diagnostic for persistent,
> marrow-origin FeLV infection. Many- if not most- ELISA Snap positives are
> the result of *transient* infections or a minute amount of circulating
> antigen. IOW, your cat might have eliminated the virus.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Phil
>
>
>

Phil P.
January 12th 07, 03:45 AM
"LEK383" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Thanks Phil and others who responded. I am planning on having kitty
> neutered. I will be returning to my former vet who is excellent. The vet
I
> had started going to is not a good match for me or my kitties, but thought
> I'd try them out since I moved..
>
> Kitty had two feline leukemia tests and tested positive on both. I'm
hoping
> it reverses itself.

Were they both Snap tests run in the vet's office or was one an IFA that was
run in a lab.

FWIW, I had two FeLV cats that lived an otherwise healthy and happy 6 1/2
and 7 years after diagnosis. About 3-5% of IFA+ cats do extinguish the
virus- so keep the faith.