PDA

View Full Version : Do cats suffer jet lag?

Bryan S.
January 5th 07, 08:14 PM
Anyone?

Trouble finally just caught up with the rest of us, moving from the
United States to the United Kingdom. She seems content to explore the
new house, and is in fact now sitting on the hot water heater, and she
has no feet... so that's a good sign.

I suppose there isn't anything to be done about it if she is suffering
from jet lag, other than to warn the little ones that she may be a bit
grouchy for a few days.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

Matthew
January 5th 07, 08:33 PM
Give her a little bit she just went thru a traumatic experience. Cats are
just like humans when it comes to stress we all do weird and different
things

"Bryan S." > wrote in message
> Anyone?
>
> Trouble finally just caught up with the rest of us, moving from the
> United States to the United Kingdom. She seems content to explore the
> new house, and is in fact now sitting on the hot water heater, and she
> has no feet... so that's a good sign.
>
> I suppose there isn't anything to be done about it if she is suffering
> from jet lag, other than to warn the little ones that she may be a bit
> grouchy for a few days.
>
> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)

Bryan S.
January 5th 07, 08:43 PM
[Matthew )]
[Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:33:48 -0500]

> "Bryan S." > wrote in message
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Trouble finally just caught up with the rest of us, moving from the
> > United States to the United Kingdom. She seems content to explore the
> > new house, and is in fact now sitting on the hot water heater, and she
> > has no feet... so that's a good sign.
> >
> > I suppose there isn't anything to be done about it if she is suffering
> > from jet lag, other than to warn the little ones that she may be a bit
> > grouchy for a few days.

> Give her a little bit she just went thru a traumatic experience. Cats are
> just like humans when it comes to stress we all do weird and different
> things

Yeah, I figured that much... she's got a wide berth as she explores, and
as mentioned above I've told our children to be extra nice (not that
they're ever anything but, to the cat) for the next few days.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

Matthew
January 5th 07, 09:17 PM
Make sure you give extra attention to the furball and reassure the furball
with extra love

"Bryan S." > wrote in message
> [Matthew )]
> [Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:33:48 -0500]
>
>> "Bryan S." > wrote in message
>> > Anyone?
>> >
>> > Trouble finally just caught up with the rest of us, moving from the
>> > United States to the United Kingdom. She seems content to explore the
>> > new house, and is in fact now sitting on the hot water heater, and she
>> > has no feet... so that's a good sign.
>> >
>> > I suppose there isn't anything to be done about it if she is suffering
>> > from jet lag, other than to warn the little ones that she may be a bit
>> > grouchy for a few days.
>
>> Give her a little bit she just went thru a traumatic experience. Cats
>> are
>> just like humans when it comes to stress we all do weird and different
>> things
>
> Yeah, I figured that much... she's got a wide berth as she explores, and
> as mentioned above I've told our children to be extra nice (not that
> they're ever anything but, to the cat) for the next few days.
>

> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)

MaryL
January 5th 07, 09:34 PM
"Bryan S." > wrote in message
> Anyone?
>
> Trouble finally just caught up with the rest of us, moving from the
> United States to the United Kingdom. She seems content to explore the
> new house, and is in fact now sitting on the hot water heater, and she
> has no feet... so that's a good sign.
>
> I suppose there isn't anything to be done about it if she is suffering
> from jet lag, other than to warn the little ones that she may be a bit
> grouchy for a few days.
>
> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)

As Matthew said, give her some time. Many cats need time to adjust even
after a simple move from one house to another, and yours moved from one
*continent* to another.

Did she have to go through quarantine? I know the UK's rules have changed,
but I haven't kept up on specifics.

MaryL

Bryan S.
January 5th 07, 09:48 PM
[MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER)]
[Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:34:04 -0600]

> "Bryan S." > wrote in message
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Trouble finally just caught up with the rest of us, moving from the
> > United States to the United Kingdom. She seems content to explore the
> > new house, and is in fact now sitting on the hot water heater, and she
> > has no feet... so that's a good sign.
> >
> > I suppose there isn't anything to be done about it if she is suffering
> > from jet lag, other than to warn the little ones that she may be a bit
> > grouchy for a few days.
> >
> > --
> > Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
> >
> > ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> > Shorthair)
>
> As Matthew said, give her some time. Many cats need time to adjust even
> after a simple move from one house to another, and yours moved from one
> *continent* to another.
>
> Did she have to go through quarantine? I know the UK's rules have changed,
> but I haven't kept up on specifics.

No quarantine. We began the vet stuff/bloodwork the moment the decision
was made to move (back in late June), and she was allowed to come into
the UK 6 months later with everything in order.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

MaryL
January 5th 07, 10:06 PM
"Bryan S." > wrote in message
> [MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER)]
> [Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:34:04 -0600]
>

>> "Bryan S." > wrote in message
>> > Anyone?
>> >
>> > Trouble finally just caught up with the rest of us, moving from the
>> > United States to the United Kingdom. She seems content to explore the
>> > new house, and is in fact now sitting on the hot water heater, and she
>> > has no feet... so that's a good sign.
>> >
>> > I suppose there isn't anything to be done about it if she is suffering
>> > from jet lag, other than to warn the little ones that she may be a bit
>> > grouchy for a few days.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>> >
>> > ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
>> > Shorthair)
>>
>> As Matthew said, give her some time. Many cats need time to adjust even
>> after a simple move from one house to another, and yours moved from one
>> *continent* to another.
>>
>> Did she have to go through quarantine? I know the UK's rules have
>> changed,
>> but I haven't kept up on specifics.
>
> No quarantine. We began the vet stuff/bloodwork the moment the decision
> was made to move (back in late June), and she was allowed to come into
> the UK 6 months later with everything in order.
>
> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)

Great! I'm glad to hear it. I'm always so sad to think about pets that
have to be left for an extended period of quarantine.

MaryL

sheelagh
January 5th 07, 10:55 PM
Bryan S. wrote:

> [MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER)]
> [Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:34:04 -0600]
>

> > "Bryan S." > wrote in message
> > > Anyone?
> > >
> > > Trouble finally just caught up with the rest of us, moving from the
> > > United States to the United Kingdom. She seems content to explore the
> > > new house, and is in fact now sitting on the hot water heater, and she
> > > has no feet... so that's a good sign.
> > >
> > > I suppose there isn't anything to be done about it if she is suffering
> > > from jet lag, other than to warn the little ones that she may be a bit
> > > grouchy for a few days.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
> > >
> > > ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> > > Shorthair)
> >
> > As Matthew said, give her some time. Many cats need time to adjust even
> > after a simple move from one house to another, and yours moved from one
> > *continent* to another.
> >
> > Did she have to go through quarantine? I know the UK's rules have changed,
> > but I haven't kept up on specifics.
>
> No quarantine. We began the vet stuff/bloodwork the moment the decision
> was made to move (back in late June), and she was allowed to come into
> the UK 6 months later with everything in order.
>
> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)
Welcome to our world in the form of a postage stamp in size at
least,lol.
I agree, she has been through a very traumatic experience indeed.I hope
that with lots of Tlc & understanding, that she will get used to our
damp little Island in no time at all.
It doesn't get very cold that often these days, but when it does, I am
certain that she she will adapt quite quickly, learning that in is a
very good alternative to outside.

I will tell you what I think Is really nice...
that you didn't just leave her in the sates, but that you decided to
bring her home with you too.You have no idea how many others don't
bother!!
Living very near to both Usaf bases & Uk military & air force
bases...I have seen and heard of so many cases where both parties
abandon their feline family in whichever country they happen to be in
leaving for & it breaks my heart to see them just left behind ,just
like an old sofa that is no longer required anymore.

I don't think that one nationality is any worse than the other;both are
equally calous.Some are Sooo Bad, that they don't even bother taking
them to a shelter- they simply move out & leave the cat to fend for
it's self.

Can you imagine how terrible that must be for the poor cat?
The cat protecion league have taken in loads over the last few
years...Its pitiful really, & If I could find out to whom the cat
belonged to, I would feel no guilt at all reporting them to thier
senior officers, for this crime against the felines.They deserve the
action taken against them(Both English & Americans, I don't
descriminate at all).Its in humane isn't it?

Well done to you and yours & I hope that you are all vey happy to be
reunited again too?
Best Wishes!
S:o)

MaryL
January 5th 07, 11:03 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> > "Bryan S." > wrote in message

<selected snips throughout...>

>> --
>> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>>
>> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
>> Shorthair)
> Welcome to our world in the form of a postage stamp in size at
> least,lol.
> I agree, she has been through a very traumatic experience indeed.I hope
> that with lots of Tlc & understanding, that she will get used to our
> damp little Island in no time at all.
> It doesn't get very cold that often these days, but when it does, I am
> certain that she she will adapt quite quickly, learning that in is a
> very good alternative to outside.
>
> I will tell you what I think Is really nice...
> that you didn't just leave her in the sates, but that you decided to
> bring her home with you too.You have no idea how many others don't
> bother!!
> Living very near to both Usaf bases & Uk military & air force
> bases...I have seen and heard of so many cases where both parties
> abandon their feline family in whichever country they happen to be in
> leaving for & it breaks my heart to see them just left behind ,just
> like an old sofa that is no longer required anymore.
>
> S:o)

Good point! I live in a university town, and large numbers of cats and dogs
are abandoned at the end of every semester (and even short vacation
breaks) -- almost as if they are disposable objects like an unwanted piece
of furniture.

MaryL

Bryan S.
January 5th 07, 11:58 PM
[MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER)]
[Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:03:20 -0600]

> Good point! I live in a university town, and large numbers of cats and dogs
> are abandoned at the end of every semester (and even short vacation
> breaks) -- almost as if they are disposable objects like an unwanted piece
> of furniture.

I agree with almost everything in these two posts (yours and the one to
which you replied). When my company asked me to move here I told them
that if I couldn't bring my cat I wouldn't go... dealbreaker.

I don't understand people to whom their pets aren't parts of their
family. Well, I understand them, I guess... but they make me ill.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

MaryL
January 6th 07, 12:45 AM
"Bryan S." > wrote in message

> When my company asked me to move here I told them
> that if I couldn't bring my cat I wouldn't go... dealbreaker.
>
> I don't understand people to whom their pets aren't parts of their
> family. Well, I understand them, I guess... but they make me ill.
>

> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)

Absolutely! When I call Holly and Duffy my "furbabies," I really mean it.
They are family -- my babies -- and there is no way I would ever consider
leaving them! Years ago, when I was still renting, I gave up opportunities
to live in several apartments that I would have *loved* to rent, but the
managers would not permit pets. I offered a larger deposit, a special
nonrefundable pet deposit, references, and the right to view my current
apartment to show that there was no damage. When they refused to accept
pets under any conditions, that was the dealbreaker (as you so appropriately
put it). I was not interested in *any* accommodations, no matter how nice,
unless my cat could be with me. (That was before Usenet and before Holly
and Duffy, but I had an equally loved cat at the time.)

MaryL

jmc
January 6th 07, 12:56 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Bryan S. exclaimed (06-Jan-07 8:28 AM):
> [MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER)]
> [Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:03:20 -0600]
>
>> Good point! I live in a university town, and large numbers of cats and dogs
>> are abandoned at the end of every semester (and even short vacation
>> breaks) -- almost as if they are disposable objects like an unwanted piece
>> of furniture.
>
> I agree with almost everything in these two posts (yours and the one to
> which you replied). When my company asked me to move here I told them
> that if I couldn't bring my cat I wouldn't go... dealbreaker.
>
> I don't understand people to whom their pets aren't parts of their
> family. Well, I understand them, I guess... but they make me ill.

Good for you! We've moved overseas a couple of times, and have also
noticed that Americans get a really bad rep for deserting their pets
after a tour. I adopted Meep in the UK, and had to sign an extra form
that said I'd bring her with me when I moved, or else return her to the
shelter.

The lady at the shelter spent a lot of time trying to capture abandoned
cats gone feral that were all over the base. Sometimes I'm less than
proud of my countrymen/women...

Meep the TravelCat has moved overseas with us 4x now (including back to
the UK). I also use the "if Meep can't go, I won't go" rule.
Unfortunately that only works from the US.

Hope you enjoy it in the UK. Ever been there before?

jmc

Bryan S.
January 6th 07, 01:24 AM
[jmc )]
[Sat, 06 Jan 2007 09:26:14 +0930]

> Meep the TravelCat has moved overseas with us 4x now (including back to
> the UK). I also use the "if Meep can't go, I won't go" rule.
> Unfortunately that only works from the US.
>
> Hope you enjoy it in the UK. Ever been there before?

I'd been in Shannon (Ireland) once before for about 6 hours, on layover
between Iraq and America. So.. well.. no, really.

I love this island so far.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

sheelagh
January 6th 07, 01:27 AM
Bryan S. wrote:
> [MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER)]
> [Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:03:20 -0600]
>
> > Good point! I live in a university town, and large numbers of cats and dogs
> > are abandoned at the end of every semester (and even short vacation
> > breaks) -- almost as if they are disposable objects like an unwanted piece
> > of furniture.
>
> I agree with almost everything in these two posts (yours and the one to
> which you replied). When my company asked me to move here I told them
> that if I couldn't bring my cat I wouldn't go... dealbreaker.
>
> I don't understand people to whom their pets aren't parts of their
> family. Well, I understand them, I guess... but they make me ill.
>

> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)

>Good point! I live in a university town, and large numbers of cats and dogs
>are abandoned at the end of every semester (and even short vacation
>breaks) -- almost as if they are disposable objects like an unwanted piece
>of furniture.

I so agree with you Mary.It makes me sad more than angry.I find it hard
to comprehend how anyone could be so unfeeling as to abandon a cat
who's loved them unconditionaly.Its not like they arn't aware that the
cat relies on them totally for food, love & shelter.Perhaps if I
understood thier reason's It might be easier to accept.(but somehow I
doubt It).

Her Majesty,Trouble, sounds delightful,lol.
It would appear that she has a very good sense of humour too~Its
hereditary you know!

All she will require is a little time, a wide berth a you mention, &
loads of tlc.Its going to take her a little while to understand where
you all went for that little stretch of time
(I base this on the fact that I understood that It took 6months to be
reunited?I stand corrected if I was wrong in that assumption.)

I'm certain that once she has had time to sniff the new home &
surroundings out, that she will be more than happy to sit on her throne
once more & direct you all in your tasks again, from her regal point of
view of course..!
She sounds wise & regal, & will be very fair on you all, her regal
subject's, lol!!
I wonder, what exactly, is the difference between an American
shorthaired Blue,& a Brit blue, If any, other than origin?

They all look wonderful to me, even the russian blue's with their green
eye's are all very fetching indeed.Lynne has some super photo's of a
blue cat if you see her post's on here.I think her baby is called Levis
if you spot him-do have a look as all of her posts do have a link to
him-he is such a cuddle puss >*o*<

I was really pleased to hear that you considered every family member
before accepting your new job here.It must be wonderful to have your
whole family together again too?I bet everyone finds it hard not to be
tactile with her at every oportunity that arises.

Welcome to you all, to the Uk.I hope that you are very happy over here
& that her Majesty,Trouble, adapts very soon too..
Sheela :o)

Bryan S.
January 6th 07, 01:35 AM
[sheelagh )]
[5 Jan 2007 16:27:49 -0800]

> All she will require is a little time, a wide berth a you mention, &
> loads of tlc.Its going to take her a little while to understand where
> you all went for that little stretch of time
> (I base this on the fact that I understood that It took 6months to be
> reunited?I stand corrected if I was wrong in that assumption.)

I was away since late November. My wife and children stayed behind
until 23rd December. Trouble got here today.

As I type this out, I can hear her going up the stairs to the kids'
rooms. This is trip #3 up to the top floor tonight.... she's making her
rounds, checking on the kids. That's a good sign.

It's funny.. very recently some nitwit on another group yelled at me for
attributing human emotions to an animal incapable of feeling them when I
said that Trouble has "fun". Silly, really.. as it's well-established
that animals have fun, that they like to play silly games, etc. This
cat, though, makes me question all manner of ideas about what they can
and can't understand.

Have you ever had a cat order you to bed? Trouble does that. She will
sit at the door to our bedroom (open or closed) and give a plaintive
meow. If she gets her way and someone walks into the bedroom, the tail
goes up into flag position, then she waits while the human settles into
bed, then leaps up and goes to sleep on said human. Who owns who?

This cat also comes into our bedroom and wakes us up if one of the
children has tumbled out of bed (or just not made it all the way back
after a visit to the bathroom). It sounds insane but it is absolutely
true. I have been woken up to a cat standing on my chest, yowling
loudly from an inch away. I got up, and Trouble ran to the door and
meowed. I walked to where she was, and she ran into the living room,
turned around and meowed again. I walked to where she was (again) and
followed her in this way all the way to the kids' room, whereupon she
sat by my son on the floor, looked down at him, then at me...
"MEEEOOOOOOWWWWW". I sighed, picked the boy up, tucked him in, and by
the time I got back to my bed the cat was already curled up on my wife.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

sheelagh
January 6th 07, 01:45 AM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Bryan S. exclaimed (06-Jan-07 8:28 AM):
> > [MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER)]
> > [Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:03:20 -0600]
> >
> >> Good point! I live in a university town, and large numbers of cats and dogs
> >> are abandoned at the end of every semester (and even short vacation
> >> breaks) -- almost as if they are disposable objects like an unwanted piece
> >> of furniture.
> >
> > I agree with almost everything in these two posts (yours and the one to
> > which you replied). When my company asked me to move here I told them
> > that if I couldn't bring my cat I wouldn't go... dealbreaker.
> >
> > I don't understand people to whom their pets aren't parts of their
> > family. Well, I understand them, I guess... but they make me ill.

> Good for you! We've moved overseas a couple of times, and have also
> noticed that Americans get a really bad rep for deserting their pets
> after a tour. I adopted Meep in the UK, and had to sign an extra form
> that said I'd bring her with me when I moved, or else return her to the
> shelter.
>
> The lady at the shelter spent a lot of time trying to capture abandoned
> cats gone feral that were all over the base. Sometimes I'm less than
> proud of my countrymen/women...
>
> Meep the TravelCat has moved overseas with us 4x now (including back to
> the UK). I also use the "if Meep can't go, I won't go" rule.
> Unfortunately that only works from the US.
>
> Hope you enjoy it in the UK. Ever been there before?
>
> jmc
Oh dear....:(
Please don't take offense?!!
I didn't mean to imply that it is only the Usaf that are guilty of this
offense?
I meant anyone who has a short tour of duty including *my own British*
country men/women.

Your story is delightful too & I am ever so pleased to hear your story
as well.
It is always brilliant to hear that people think enough of their feline
family when making major decisions about moving abroad.
I only mentioned this tory because I have seen it happen so many times
before personally quite close to where I live personally( there are
3major one's in close vicinity).
It happens all over the world & is not confined to Usaf at all!!!
Meep is very lucky to have foound a family who have enough love to
think of her needs too, where so many others don't.
I feel for the woman who made you agree to sign an agreement, simply
because I had to catch a cat very recently, so I empathise with her on
that one...however,It is still embarresing having to ask people to sing
over their cats, as it seems as though you can't trust anyone, which is
not the case at all.

As ever,its only the few that do abandon them, that make it so hard to
trust the vast mjority whom do love their pets as much as their other
family & wouldn't dream of abandoning them.
I meant no offesnse, I assure you.
Englsand can be great,& I hope that you will enjoy it too.
A *must*, Is to introduce her tom fish and chips...She will love you in
deep adoration if you do ,lol

Purrs to meeps too btw.
S:o)

sheelagh
January 6th 07, 01:47 AM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Bryan S. exclaimed (06-Jan-07 8:28 AM):
> > [MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER)]
> > [Fri, 5 Jan 2007 16:03:20 -0600]
> >
> >> Good point! I live in a university town, and large numbers of cats and dogs
> >> are abandoned at the end of every semester (and even short vacation
> >> breaks) -- almost as if they are disposable objects like an unwanted piece
> >> of furniture.
> >
> > I agree with almost everything in these two posts (yours and the one to
> > which you replied). When my company asked me to move here I told them
> > that if I couldn't bring my cat I wouldn't go... dealbreaker.
> >
> > I don't understand people to whom their pets aren't parts of their
> > family. Well, I understand them, I guess... but they make me ill.

> Good for you! We've moved overseas a couple of times, and have also
> noticed that Americans get a really bad rep for deserting their pets
> after a tour. I adopted Meep in the UK, and had to sign an extra form
> that said I'd bring her with me when I moved, or else return her to the
> shelter.
>
> The lady at the shelter spent a lot of time trying to capture abandoned
> cats gone feral that were all over the base. Sometimes I'm less than
> proud of my countrymen/women...
>
> Meep the TravelCat has moved overseas with us 4x now (including back to
> the UK). I also use the "if Meep can't go, I won't go" rule.
> Unfortunately that only works from the US.
>
> Hope you enjoy it in the UK. Ever been there before?
>
> jmc
Oh dear....:(
Please don't take offense?!!
I didn't mean to imply that it is only the Usaf that are guilty of this
offense?
I meant anyone who has a short tour of duty including *my own British*
country men/women.

Your story is delightful too & I am ever so pleased to hear your story
as well.
It is always brilliant to hear that people think enough of their feline
family when making major decisions about moving abroad.
I only mentioned this tory because I have seen it happen so many times
before personally quite close to where I live personally( there are
3major one's in close vicinity).
It happens all over the world & is not confined to Usaf at all!!!
Meep is very lucky to have foound a family who have enough love to
think of her needs too, where so many others don't.
I feel for the woman who made you agree to sign an agreement, simply
because I had to catch a cat very recently, so I empathise with her on
that one...however,It is still embarresing having to ask people to sing
over their cats, as it seems as though you can't trust anyone, which is
not the case at all.

As ever,its only the few that do abandon them, that make it so hard to
trust the vast mjority whom do love their pets as much as their other
family & wouldn't dream of abandoning them.
I meant no offesnse, I assure you.
England can be great,& I hope that you will enjoy it too.
A *must*, Is to introduce her to fish and chips...She will love you in
deep adoration if you do ,lol

Purrs to meeps too btw.
S:o)

jmc
January 6th 07, 01:44 PM
Suddenly, without warning, sheelagh exclaimed (06-Jan-07 10:15 AM):

> Oh dear....:(
> Please don't take offense?!!

Did I sound offended? I'm most assuredly NOT! I'm quite sure it's not
just us Yanks that abandon our pets at the end of an overseas tour, but
that's the only angle I see :)

I was happy to sign the CPL form, and think she has a perfect right to
ask for it - if I ran a shelter near a military base of *any* country,
I'd demand the same!

I never really got into English fish & chips this most recent tour, but
love that it mostly still comes wrapped in newsprint :)

I loved Yorkshire Puds the best, and really miss a good scrumpy English
cider!

jmc

jmc
January 6th 07, 01:56 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Bryan S. exclaimed (06-Jan-07 10:05 AM):

> Have you ever had a cat order you to bed? Trouble does that. She will
> sit at the door to our bedroom (open or closed) and give a plaintive
> meow. If she gets her way and someone walks into the bedroom, the tail
> goes up into flag position, then she waits while the human settles into
> bed, then leaps up and goes to sleep on said human. Who owns who?

Oh, heck. Meep tells me when it's dinnertime, when I need to come
downstairs and watch TV (because that's her lap time), and when I really
need to pay more attention to her. She tells me when she wants me to
dig out her yellow toy and stick it under the edge of the rug.

We taught her that she was *NOT* to tell us when to get up in the
morning... since 3am was her time to get up.

The funniest thing, though, is that she seems to think she's betraying
me if she gets attention from John:

He tells me that when I'm up here, and she's down there, she jumps up,
asks for attention, sits on his chair, lets him pet her, etc... but as
SOON as she hears me on the stairs, she jumps down, and by the time I
hit the corner, she's sitting at the bottom of the stairs, looking innocent!

The only time she goes to John when I'm around is when I'm ignoring her
- she'll go to him, but look back at me, I think she's trying to make me
jealous!

Now, I've never, ever gave her any indication that I didn't like it when
she pays attention to John, so it's something that she's come up with
totally on her own... I think she thinks I *should* be jealous when she
give attention to John, and is probably a bit miffed when I'm not.

So, yea, there's a whole lot going on in their furry little minds than
we think. Genetically, we're like 99.9% the same as all other mammals,
we all function in a similar manner - I fully believe that their
emotional lives are at least as complex as ours.

jmc

sheelagh
January 6th 07, 03:02 PM
jmc wrote:

> Suddenly, without warning, sheelagh exclaimed (06-Jan-07 10:15 AM):
>
> > Oh dear....:(
> > Please don't take offense?!!
>
> Did I sound offended? I'm most assuredly NOT! I'm quite sure it's not
> just us Yanks that abandon our pets at the end of an overseas tour, but
> that's the only angle I see :)

No, I must admit you didn't,lol.
Most pussy cat's that are homed with the Cpl, usually are lucky enough
to get good homes.That is what I do, the home visits I mean.98% of the
homes that they go to work out well, & 1% of the 2% do bring thier cats
back if there is a problem too.Funny how an hours time makes all of the
difference, isn't it?
I also stand in the middle of the street on wet saturday afternoons
shaking a money box under peoples nose's too.Most people are happy to
give you whatever change they happen to carry on them-but you do get
the odd vociferous one who feels the need to tell you thatcharity
begins at home.In fact, I cvouldnb't agree more there, but I refrain
from slanging matches as I don't see the point & would hate anyone to
think badly of the cpl simply because I couldn't keep my mouth shut:o)

> I was happy to sign the CPL form, and think she has a perfect right to
> ask for it - if I ran a shelter near a military base of *any* country,

It is just a formality,that seems to make a hell of a difference on the
cat/kitty's behalf.

> I'd demand the same!

Yes, It is a bit of a problem in our area, & as I mentioned, it is not
just the amreican bases that cause problems -so do the british ones
too.But the people that abandon them are more likely to get reported
for doing so because people know them & resent them for what they have
done.Clp does take it very seriously & if they don't prosecute, the
Rspca do.Unfortunately, they mostly just get a slap on the wrist & a
bit of a fine-occasionaly, you do get a magistrate that feels like
minded & they are formally repremanded by the forces too.
> I never really got into English fish & chips this most recent tour, but
> love that it mostly still comes wrapped in newsprint :)
I know, I agree with you there.Stupid rules via eurpian community means
that they had to chage that for health and safety reasons.. so now it
is all wrapped in glaring white clean paper.Its not the same anymore.I
don't know when you were last over here, but a bit of fish & a portion
of chips are now around 4($6.50-$7)..gone are the days of fish and
chips being a cheap meal
> I loved Yorkshire Puds the best, and really miss a good scrumpy English
> cider!
Lol, us too.In fact, this year on christmas day, we had rib of beef,
roast potatoes, sprouts, (do you eat them in the sates?),mashed swede,
gravey and pudd's for dinnner.Wondefful- my favourite meal in fact.
The lumpier the cider, the more potent it seems, & the deadlier the
after effect too, lol.
Boy, that can give you gutt rot, can't it?
S;o)

sheelagh
January 6th 07, 03:08 PM
jmc wrote:

> [...]

I know, I agree with you there.Stupid rules via eurpian community means
that they had to chage that for health and safety reasons.. so now it
is all wrapped in glaring white clean paper.Its not the same anymore.I
don't know when you were last over here, but a bit of fish & a portion
of chips are now around 4($6.50-$7)..gone are the days of fish and
chips being a cheap meal
> I loved Yorkshire Puds the best, and really miss a good scrumpy English
> cider!
Lol, us too.In fact, this year on christmas day, we had rib of beef,
roast potatoes, sprouts, (do you eat them in the sates?),mashed swede,
gravey and pudd's for dinnner.Wondefful- my favourite meal in fact.
The lumpier the cider, the more potent it seems, & the deadlier the
after effect too, lol.
Boy, that can give you gutt rot, can't it?

January 6th 07, 04:09 PM
jmc wrote:

> Suddenly, without warning, Bryan S. exclaimed (06-Jan-07 10:05 AM):
>
> > Have you ever had a cat order you to bed? Trouble does that. She will
> > sit at the door to our bedroom (open or closed) and give a plaintive
> > meow. If she gets her way and someone walks into the bedroom, the tail
> > goes up into flag position, then she waits while the human settles into
> > bed, then leaps up and goes to sleep on said human. Who owns who?
> >

> Oh, heck. Meep tells me when it's dinnertime, when I need to come
> downstairs and watch TV (because that's her lap time), and when I really
> need to pay more attention to her. She tells me when she wants me to
> dig out her yellow toy and stick it under the edge of the rug.
>
> We taught her that she was *NOT* to tell us when to get up in the
> morning... since 3am was her time to get up.
>
> The funniest thing, though, is that she seems to think she's betraying
> me if she gets attention from John:
>
> He tells me that when I'm up here, and she's down there, she jumps up,
> asks for attention, sits on his chair, lets him pet her, etc... but as
> SOON as she hears me on the stairs, she jumps down, and by the time I
> hit the corner, she's sitting at the bottom of the stairs, looking innocent!
>
> The only time she goes to John when I'm around is when I'm ignoring her
> - she'll go to him, but look back at me, I think she's trying to make me
> jealous!
>
> Now, I've never, ever gave her any indication that I didn't like it when
> she pays attention to John, so it's something that she's come up with
> totally on her own... I think she thinks I *should* be jealous when she
> give attention to John, and is probably a bit miffed when I'm not.
>
> So, yea, there's a whole lot going on in their furry little minds than
> we think. Genetically, we're like 99.9% the same as all other mammals,
> we all function in a similar manner - I fully believe that their
> emotional lives are at least as complex as ours.
>
> jmc

Meep is a very original name, & I like it too.
I know exactly what myou are refering to when you talk about the
loyalty factor.We live in a multi cat house hold.Some are visitor,
others are long stay residents, & the rest are long standing memeber's
of family.Every single one of them has a different character, &
personal trait's that are unique to them only.

Our oldest memeber of family died quite recently.His name was Jasper &
he was a grand old age of nearly 19years old.He sounds very similar in
charecter to Meep actually, & I miss im terribly for all of those very
reasons.It was like having a partner that you could fortell their every
move and anpicipate their every mieow.No one will ever be able to take
his place & I consider myself very lucky to have had the privalige of
shareing his life.I never chose him, he chose me as do most of our
cats.

We moved into a house that used to be his, & when his family moved on,
he continued to return to *his* house, & refused to stay at his new
home .Almost every other day I would have to ring them to say that he
was out the back in the garden sunbathing on the coal bunkers..& most
evenings his daddy used to come down & pick him up again.
This continued for around 3months, & one day I called again to say that
he was out there, but that evening, no one came to collect him.They had
already asked me not to feed him or encourage him, so I respected their
wishes-I wouldn't have liked it had someone done the same to my cat
either.

One day around 4days later, there was a frost the previous night, & I
caught him half in and half out the back door, eyeing the full food
bowls up.I went to the phone, & asked If they would mind terribly if I
were to feed him, to which the lady replied "feed him"?
She didn't realise that he was a male & they had been calling him
natasha for 2years,& never knew that he, was a he, lol!!

She gave me permission , & that was the start of a very long
friendship.
He watched my children grow up, he babysat them, & he was never much
further than a stroke away ,ever.He would sit on the bath & take part
in any activity, even walking the kids to school.He was as faithful a
friend as it was possible to have.

Last November he lost his battle for life with CRF, & It was like a
light going out in my life & soul.He crossed the rainbow bridge & waits
for the eventaul time when we all do too.Life is like that & we have to
cope with it...I never thought that I would ever have the room in my
heart to allow another cat in so deeply again.

Just before xmas, I had a knock @ my door...& waiting there for me, was
a plump big fat Ginger chap sitting there waiting for me to open the
door.He didn't wait for me to invite him in, he just sauntered past me,
right through the living room & straight into the kitchen, where he
settled down right next to the grazzing bowl & started eat his supper.
I was gob-smacked to be honest!It was as though he knew the whole set
up to our house & he knew where everything would be too.

I let him stay for the night, advertising him in case he belonged to
someone in the area.
About a week later, I saw a lady standing @ the door with one of the
flyer's we had made & I dreaded having to return him, but knew It had
to done.When I answerd the door, I tired to be brave, but wasn't doing
too well, when she asked if we would mind keeping him, I could have
wept with joy-He belonged to her father & she had tried many many times
to make him stay with them since her father passed away, but he kept
returning to our street, where his daddy used to live, just around the
corner.

I really could have cried with joy when she asked me...We were
delighted to say the least.
For a mili second, I felt awful, & as though I were betraying Jasper's
memory..but that was as long as it lasted.
This was how we found Jasper, & I am more than certain that Jasper
wouldn't have wanted us all to mourn him for years;he would have wanted
us to live, & love, so that is exactly what we have done.

Ginger puss Is now called Ringo mainly because it was a name that Lynne
voted for & also because he has the most wonderful taby ringed tail
too.I will try & provide a link for you to have a look at our new chap
Is I can manage to do it myself.

I believe that every single cat that crosses our path, crosses it for a
reason.He continues to make us laugh for all of his self confident ways
& his humerous character.Ringo is ever so different to Jasper, but he &
his love are infectious & we love him dearly already.
I can only hope that we will have many years to share with him too as
we did with Jasper.We might think that we choose our cat's, but I am of
the opinion that they , in fact choose us for thier own reasons.
purrs from our felines to Meep
S:o)

sheelagh
January 6th 07, 04:26 PM
sheelagh wrote:

> [...]
> wouldn't have wanted us all to mourn him for years;he would have wanted
> us to live, & love, so that is exactly what we have done.
>
> Ginger puss Is now called Ringo mainly because it was a name that Lynne
> voted for & also because he has the most wonderful taby ringed tail
> too.I will try & provide a link for you to have a look at our new chap
> Is I can manage to do it myself.
>
> I believe that every single cat that crosses our path, crosses it for a
> reason.He continues to make us laugh for all of his self confident ways
> & his humerous character.Ringo is ever so different to Jasper, but he &
> his love are infectious & we love him dearly already.
> I can only hope that we will have many years to share with him too as
> we did with Jasper.We might think that we choose our cat's, but I am of
> the opinion that they , in fact choose us for thier own reasons.
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/AnUpdateOnRingo02

Eva Quesnell
January 6th 07, 07:51 PM
On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Bryan S. wrote:

> Have you ever had a cat order you to bed? Trouble does that. She will
> sit at the door to our bedroom (open or closed) and give a plaintive
> meow. If she gets her way and someone walks into the bedroom, the tail
> goes up into flag position, then she waits while the human settles into
> bed, then leaps up and goes to sleep on said human. Who owns who?

<some snippage>
> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

My Xavier tells me when he wants me to get in bed. He "herds" me. He
walks right in front of me, zigzagging back and forth trying to trip me,
until I head in the right direction. Then he jumps on the bed and looks
plaintively at me. If I don't cooperate, he stands up and grabs my leg
with his claws.

Eva

jmc
January 7th 07, 02:54 AM
Suddenly, without warning, sheelagh exclaimed (06-Jan-07 11:32 PM):

> Lol, us too.In fact, this year on christmas day, we had rib of beef,
> roast potatoes, sprouts, (do you eat them in the sates?),mashed swede,
> gravey and pudd's for dinnner.Wondefful- my favourite meal in fact.
> The lumpier the cider, the more potent it seems, & the deadlier the
> after effect too, lol.
> Boy, that can give you gutt rot, can't it?
> S;o)

Sprouts? To me, sprouts are just-barely-germinated seeds, like alfalfa
and bean sprouts. Sounds like you're talking of something else tho.

Swede isn't something I'd ever heard of before going to England. I like
it tho.

I limit myself to a max of a pint of cider (I'm a lightweight), so I
wouldn't know about the gut rot :)

jmc