PDA

View Full Version : Bookie: any progress on the blind cat?


MaryL
January 6th 07, 05:26 PM
Please update us. You said shelter policy required you to wait until Jan.
3. Does the kitty now have a home?

MaryL

sheelagh
January 6th 07, 11:30 PM
MaryL wrote:
> Please update us. You said shelter policy required you to wait until Jan.
> 3. Does the kitty now have a home?
>
> MaryL

I know that you have been incredibally busy recently with never ending
application forms & hoping for bank teaching to turn up as and when,
but I would also love to hear how things are going with regard to
Jessie's new friend?

Will you still be taking having her?I very much hope so-
You sound just as imaptient & intolerant as I am-however, when it comes
to cat's, I somehow manage to switch off kill mode & find myself
phenominaly & theraputicaly comforted by them~ I also feel myself
emitting the same feelings.Do you feel similar to that when it comes to
cats?


I'm looking forward to hearing much the same from your postings in the
near future.
It will be great to hear about her progress & I think you will find it
an amazingly rewarding experience!

Do you think that Jessie will be a good role model for her btw?
Good luck & can't wait to hear about her experinces too...

I would love to have a go @ something similar, but I honestly think
that there are simply too many of us her to allow me to devote the
appropriate attention that he, or she would require.
It would be a wonderful end to a perfect story.
If at first, you don't succseed, just keep going till you do get
there,lol
S:o)

bookie
January 7th 07, 12:18 AM
sheelagh wrote:
> MaryL wrote:
> > Please update us. You said shelter policy required you to wait until Jan.
> > 3. Does the kitty now have a home?
> >
> > MaryL
>
> I know that you have been incredibally busy recently with never ending
> application forms & hoping for bank teaching to turn up as and when,
> but I would also love to hear how things are going with regard to
> Jessie's new friend?
>
> Will you still be taking having her?I very much hope so-
> You sound just as imaptient & intolerant as I am-however, when it comes
> to cat's, I somehow manage to switch off kill mode & find myself
> phenominaly & theraputicaly comforted by them~ I also feel myself
> emitting the same feelings.Do you feel similar to that when it comes to
> cats?
>
>
> I'm looking forward to hearing much the same from your postings in the
> near future.
> It will be great to hear about her progress & I think you will find it
> an amazingly rewarding experience!
>
> Do you think that Jessie will be a good role model for her btw?
> Good luck & can't wait to hear about her experinces too...
>
> I would love to have a go @ something similar, but I honestly think
> that there are simply too many of us her to allow me to devote the
> appropriate attention that he, or she would require.
> It would be a wonderful end to a perfect story.
> If at first, you don't succseed, just keep going till you do get
> there,lol
> S:o)

got to have my house re-checked for suitability as she is blind, which
is fair enough as I look around but don't see where there could be
problems. They are doing it in the best interest of the cat.

Though I am impatient with nasty kids I do have patience for nice kids
who just are slow or even ****ty kids who have a real reason for being
a bit ****ty (abused at home or whatever). On top of that I have
unlimited patience for kitties, i always think that when they have
behavioural issues or whatever it really is not their fault and usually
a result of someone mistreating them and they have developed weird or
'antisocial' ways usually in order to cope with what life has thrown at
them. how coudl anyone be mad or angry with a small kitty-puss who pees
on the carpet because noone bothered to show her where the tray was or
because she has a bladder problem, how is that her fault? you just
could not get angry at her for that, surely it would just make you want
to cuddle her more and try to let her know that everything is ok.

it is like that with your new cat lucy i suppose? because she is a
hissing spitting scaredy cat you want to protect her and love her more
because you know it is her way opf protecting herself after having been
through such a horrendous time with the collar injury and everything,
because she is scared and confused.

how anyone can get cross with an animal i don't know. Animals do not do
things which we find unacceptable out of malice or to annoy us
deliberately, they do these things because it is either their normal
behaviour (scratching furniture to mark or spraying for same reason) or
because there are scared, stressed or in pain and have no other way to
cope with it.

I have to hug jessie now for no reason other than because she is
beautiful and lovely, although i will have to catch her first cos she
is 'chase me' mood and wants play (which involves me running aruond
dragging a purple fuzzy worm thing onthe end of a string so she can
chase it and pounce on it. If ever the world is invaded by small fuzzy
purple things from out of space she will be ready for them)

bookie

sheelagh
January 7th 07, 04:25 AM
> > > Please update us. You said shelter policy required you to wait until Jan.
> > > 3. Does the kitty now have a home?
> > >
> > > MaryL
> >
> > I know that you have been incredibally busy recently with never ending
> > application forms & hoping for bank teaching to turn up as and when,
> > but I would also love to hear how things are going with regard to
> > Jessie's new friend?
> >
> > Will you still be taking having her?I very much hope so-
> > You sound just as imaptient & intolerant as I am-however, when it comes
> > to cat's, I somehow manage to switch off kill mode & find myself
> > phenominaly & theraputicaly comforted by them~ I also feel myself
> > emitting the same feelings.Do you feel similar to that when it comes to
> > cats?
> >
> >
> > I'm looking forward to hearing much the same from your postings in the
> > near future.
> > It will be great to hear about her progress & I think you will find it
> > an amazingly rewarding experience!
> >
> > Do you think that Jessie will be a good role model for her btw?
> > Good luck & can't wait to hear about her experinces too...
> >
> > I would love to have a go @ something similar, but I honestly think
> > that there are simply too many of us her to allow me to devote the
> > appropriate attention that he, or she would require.
> > It would be a wonderful end to a perfect story.
> > If at first, you don't succseed, just keep going till you do get
> > there,lol
> > S:o)
>
> got to have my house re-checked for suitability as she is blind, which
> is fair enough as I look around but don't see where there could be
> problems. They are doing it in the best interest of the cat.

I can understand this, & to be fair, It isn't such a terrible thing
really is it?As you say, it is only in the best interest of the cat, &
If you are to be her mummy for the rest of her natural life, they only
want to ensure that you are indeed the right mummy for her.

As you pointed out yourself,

in Lucy's case, I am now questioning whether this lady would be the
most suitable mummy for her.I don't mean to imply that she is a bad
person or that her home is not siutable, it is more a question off
whether she is the right person to cope with Lucy(fur-lol, ....still
cracks me up ,tee hee).When we last parted, just over a week ago, she
said that she would give her a month then see what the state of affairs
are, then take it from there-However, I do think that she had it in
mind that she would be picking her up that day though.My reason for
thinking this is because she said that she would visit Lucy as often as
she could & pick her up that day too
..
I have now come to see that with no phone calls to date, & having not
visted her at all in the last week,or called to see how her progress is
going, that It might not be the right person, possibly expecting a
little bit too much from Lucy, that she might not have to offer now, if
ever.I might be utterly wrong, but my gutt feeling tells me that If I
haven't heard from her by the end of this weekeknd..I feel it might be
in Lucy's best interest,& her's too, If I rang her and told her that I
think that it is going to take far longer than I anticipated( which is
true!!).
I think that I need to take some advice here on Lucy, the same as you
will with regard to your new little new baby with Mary, who is our in
house Blind cat expert with Duffy of course!

> Though I am impatient with nasty kids I do have patience for nice kids
> who just are slow or even ****ty kids who have a real reason for being
> a bit ****ty (abused at home or whatever). On top of that I have
> unlimited patience for kitties, i always think that when they have
> behavioural issues or whatever it really is not their fault and usually
> a result of someone mistreating them and they have developed weird or
> 'antisocial' ways usually in order to cope with what life has thrown at
> them. how coudl anyone be mad or angry with a small kitty-puss who pees
> on the carpet because noone bothered to show her where the tray was or
> because she has a bladder problem, how is that her fault? you just
> could not get angry at her for that, surely it would just make you want
> to cuddle her more and try to let her know that everything is ok.

With 5kids of my own, I understand what you are talking about
entirely.There is a world of difference appart from a kid with
behavioral problems becasue of home circumstnces, & a child who is an
utter disater zone because they chose to be one.
A child or cat for that matter, is to be pityed for having to cope with
in- built difficulies, rather than mocked, riddiculed and abused too
simply for being mistreated..As you say, how can you be angry with a
kitty for weeing the floor because they are petrified of you?
Now, Mary will probably know better about this one, especially with
regard to a blind cat- but with my own kittens, each time I home one-I
always give their new mummy or daddy a nice little package to take home
with them, of a bit of mummy's freshly urinated litter to place in
their new tray for kitty.

This acts like a homing beacon to kitty & tells them where mummy would
go to spend a penny.Cat's sense of smell is 10 x more magnified than
ours is so it really does act like a huge beacon for them to alert them
as to where the amenties are.
I would imagine that this wil be the case when you get your new pussyt
cat.If they give you a bit of litter that she has already urinated on,
then she will recognise the smell &*know* that this is where she is
meant to be.

Speaking to someone posting on here earlier, ewhen talking about Lucy,
she advised me that for a certain length of time, It would be a good
idea to contain her to a certain are just to start with, so that she
can't get lost, she will know where her food is, & have time to get
used to her new surroundings too.
You will have to go to her, rather than vice versa in this instance~
then ever so slowly & gradually, you can allow her a bit more space to
explore every single day...then ever so gradually, you will have to
allow both Jessie and kitty to meet each other, through some mesh to
start with in her room-You might have to create a door stopper/blocker
that Jessie can see through & kitty can smell through, just until they
become aware of each other, but cant reach each other , then again,
very gradually once they have had a really good to sniff one another,
you will be able to give kitty a bit more room to explore until in the
end, she will have the run of where you allow her to.I would point out
that however well they appear to be getting on, I would never leave
them alone in the begining @ least...

I think we are both doing a bit of cross posting here lol.
I have just responded to one of your posting on *Ping Bookie*, about
this very subject,lol!!
>"o"<
> it is like that with your new cat lucy i suppose? because she is a
> hissing spitting scaredy cat you want to protect her and love her more
> because you know it is her way of protecting herself after having been
> through such a horrendous time with the collar injury and everything,
> because she is scared and confused.

This is correct.I was horrified when we first saw the extent of her
injuries.I do thank the chap upstairs, for allowing me to be in the
right place at the right time, to observe the nasty bulge on the side
of her neck, the collar that caught my attention, the family that lent
me the trap to catch her in, Phil for giving me the confidence to
believe in myself, & the advice on how to use it as well as the
demonstration by the family who lent it to me( they were even kind
enough to come and collect the trap too, to save me the drive all the
way back to Mildenhall)... & of course the vet, who treated her out of
the goodness of her heart-There were a lot of people involved in the
story of little Lucy(furr)

Lucy has come on in leaps and bounds.Far better & much faster than I
could ever have wished for really.What I don't want to make the mistake
of, is assuming that it will all be plain sailing & continuously
advancement only...there are bound to be day's when she is feeling down
or not up to hugs and cuddles too.To have got to where we are, Is
almost a miracle.The relationship & bond that she has formed with Tilly
is quite remarkable...
I am so pleased that she has chosen one of us to trust enough to do the
dying fly for to allow her to give her tummy tickle's is utterly
amazing(as long as you don't go near her spay site of course!!)

> how anyone can get cross with an animal i don't know. Animals do not do
> things which we find unacceptable out of malice or to annoy us
> deliberately, they do these things because it is either their normal
> behaviour (scratching furniture to mark or spraying for same reason) or
> because there are scared, stressed or in pain and have no other way to
> cope with it.

Lucy has done plenty of all of the above mentioned-in fact on day 2-3,
I almost thought I would allow her to slink off once she had been
spayed..I now berate myself for having no faith In her.I was going to
wait until she had recovered then allow her to leave if she wished to,
then allow her to come back if she wished to as well.
She has changed from a hell spitting tasmanian devil, into a part time
devil ha ha:o)
She was a grimmy little smelly girl,riddled with fleas, worms ,puss &
abcess- and had a collar growing into her neck, yet only a few short
weeks later, she is now a loveable little girl for Tilly.She is still
be very wary around the rest of us, but that is to be expected given
the condition and obvious abuse that she had been through.
I would love to know who allowed her to get into this state, but most
of all, why?
I am so gald that I didn't turn a blind eye.It would have been all to
easy, & one day , she would never have returned to the bowl & we would
have shrugged it off thinking that she had found a home

>have to hug
jessie now for no reason other than because she is
> beautiful and lovely, although i will have to catch her first cos she
> is 'chase me' mood and wants play (which involves me running aruond
> dragging a purple fuzzy worm thing onthe end of a string so she can
> chase it and pounce on it. If ever the world is invaded by small fuzzy
> purple things from out of space she will be ready for them)
bookie
Lucy's current favourite is a kitten tunnel that she can get into,
where no one can reach her & she lies down and goes to sleep in
there.Till yonly has to call her & she comes straight out.She is also
facinated with a slinky that I gave tilly for xmas too- one of those
wire thing that climbs down the strairs on it's own if you can remember
them?She loves it & follows it without even touching it...
All of the other cats are bursting with curiosity, but we have kept
them appart for a few reasons, just until she is up to meeting them if
she wants to.I have given up worrying about rehoming her.Why worry
about that yet?
I can even see her becoming a part of our family, but we will take one
step at a time.The only cat that she will allow within 100yards, Is
Ringo super star-perhaps they are old friends?Who knows?!!!!
Tonight, she is in her usual place, sharing Tilly's pillow of course!

I think I might have a pregnant Raggy.I thought that I had caught her
before she started calling...
<thought sheela smuggly @ the time>
She looks like she might be..& if so, not very many kittens..but
definately pure Rags because Taz is her favourite friend and they share
a pen normally:(
<Sheealgh shuffles her feet guiltily>...
IF so, I calculate that she must be around 4-5weeks gone.I took a few
photos of her yesterday & noticed a bitty- little podge & pink
nipples.Gosh I do feel stupid & worse,
a bit like the pot calling the kettle black tooI am hoping not, but I
have a gutt feeling that she is-they would be due around the end of
Jan,beginig of Feb....If she has some this time, I think I am going to
spay her after the litter is weaned.
Shr has done her fair share of kitten hood & I think it would be best
for her sake and ours too
I will try to add a link so that you can look at her & a couple of her
previous kitty's & mate as well.Taz is being done next week-I am too
skint to do it before then
I really do wish you well with new kitty..I keep calling her that-what
is her name btw?
S;o)
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BlueBelle

bookie
January 7th 07, 04:45 AM
sheelagh wrote:
> almost a miracle.The relationship & bond that she has formed with Tilly
> is quite remarkable...

> Tonight, she is in her usual place, sharing Tilly's pillow of course!
>

for god's sake it is obvious! why don't you phone this other woman up ,
tell her lucy has now got anothetr home and just keep her yourself?
lucy has obviously chosen your gaff , she feels happy there and has
someone there she now trusts and loves, so why risk making lucy unhappy
by forcing her to move elsewhere to a situation which is uncertain and
which may not work out and is certainly not one of lucy's choosing?
lucy has had a hard life so far it seems and she has finally found a
place where she has just started to feel protected and secure, why
change it and upset her when she has finally become settled?

tilly probably wants her to stay doesn't she? and how can you be
certain that this other woman will be as tolerant of lucy's little
'foibles' such as hissing and suchlike? let lucy stay with you for
now, she obviously wants to stay, why can't she?
bookie

MaryL
January 7th 07, 05:53 AM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> > > Please update us. You said shelter policy required you to wait until
>> > > Jan.
>> > > 3. Does the kitty now have a home?
>> > >
>> > > MaryL
>> >
>> > I know that you have been incredibally busy recently with never ending
>> > application forms & hoping for bank teaching to turn up as and when,
>> > but I would also love to hear how things are going with regard to
>> > Jessie's new friend?
>> >
>> > Will you still be taking having her?I very much hope so-
>> > You sound just as imaptient & intolerant as I am-however, when it comes
>> > to cat's, I somehow manage to switch off kill mode & find myself
>> > phenominaly & theraputicaly comforted by them~ I also feel myself
>> > emitting the same feelings.Do you feel similar to that when it comes to
>> > cats?
>> >
>> >
>> > I'm looking forward to hearing much the same from your postings in the
>> > near future.
>> > It will be great to hear about her progress & I think you will find it
>> > an amazingly rewarding experience!
>> >
>> > Do you think that Jessie will be a good role model for her btw?
>> > Good luck & can't wait to hear about her experinces too...
>> >
>> > I would love to have a go @ something similar, but I honestly think
>> > that there are simply too many of us her to allow me to devote the
>> > appropriate attention that he, or she would require.
>> > It would be a wonderful end to a perfect story.
>> > If at first, you don't succseed, just keep going till you do get
>> > there,lol
>> > S:o)
>>
>> got to have my house re-checked for suitability as she is blind, which
>> is fair enough as I look around but don't see where there could be
>> problems. They are doing it in the best interest of the cat.
>
> I can understand this, & to be fair, It isn't such a terrible thing
> really is it?As you say, it is only in the best interest of the cat, &
> If you are to be her mummy for the rest of her natural life, they only
> want to ensure that you are indeed the right mummy for her.
>
> As you pointed out yourself,
>
> in Lucy's case, I am now questioning whether this lady would be the
> most suitable mummy for her.I don't mean to imply that she is a bad
> person or that her home is not siutable, it is more a question off
> whether she is the right person to cope with Lucy(fur-lol, ....still
> cracks me up ,tee hee).When we last parted, just over a week ago, she
> said that she would give her a month then see what the state of affairs
> are, then take it from there-However, I do think that she had it in
> mind that she would be picking her up that day though.My reason for
> thinking this is because she said that she would visit Lucy as often as
> she could & pick her up that day too
> .
> I have now come to see that with no phone calls to date, & having not
> visted her at all in the last week,or called to see how her progress is
> going, that It might not be the right person, possibly expecting a
> little bit too much from Lucy, that she might not have to offer now, if
> ever.I might be utterly wrong, but my gutt feeling tells me that If I
> haven't heard from her by the end of this weekeknd..I feel it might be
> in Lucy's best interest,& her's too, If I rang her and told her that I
> think that it is going to take far longer than I anticipated( which is
> true!!).
> I think that I need to take some advice here on Lucy, the same as you
> will with regard to your new little new baby with Mary, who is our in
> house Blind cat expert with Duffy of course!
>

Thanks! I definitely am not a blind cat "expert" because Duffy has been
exceptionally easy to care for. But I am happy to share whatever
information I have.

>> Though I am impatient with nasty kids I do have patience for nice kids
>> who just are slow or even ****ty kids who have a real reason for being
>> a bit ****ty (abused at home or whatever). On top of that I have
>> unlimited patience for kitties, i always think that when they have
>> behavioural issues or whatever it really is not their fault and usually
>> a result of someone mistreating them and they have developed weird or
>> 'antisocial' ways usually in order to cope with what life has thrown at
>> them. how coudl anyone be mad or angry with a small kitty-puss who pees
>> on the carpet because noone bothered to show her where the tray was or
>> because she has a bladder problem, how is that her fault? you just
>> could not get angry at her for that, surely it would just make you want
>> to cuddle her more and try to let her know that everything is ok.
>
> With 5kids of my own, I understand what you are talking about
> entirely.There is a world of difference appart from a kid with
> behavioral problems becasue of home circumstnces, & a child who is an
> utter disater zone because they chose to be one.
> A child or cat for that matter, is to be pityed for having to cope with
> in- built difficulies, rather than mocked, riddiculed and abused too
> simply for being mistreated..As you say, how can you be angry with a
> kitty for weeing the floor because they are petrified of you?
> Now, Mary will probably know better about this one, especially with
> regard to a blind cat- but with my own kittens, each time I home one-I
> always give their new mummy or daddy a nice little package to take home
> with them, of a bit of mummy's freshly urinated litter to place in
> their new tray for kitty.
>

That sounds like a good idea. I have never done that because my experience
was always the reverse -- that is, I was the one doing the adopting.
However, during the time I was integrating Duffy into the household, I would
take a towel or blanket that Duffy had been lying on and place it where
Holly would have access to it, and also take something of Holly's into
Duffy's room. That way, the scent would be distributed and each could get
used to the other. In addition, I would brush one cat with a cloth, then
the other with the same cloth, and so on.

> This acts like a homing beacon to kitty & tells them where mummy would
> go to spend a penny.Cat's sense of smell is 10 x more magnified than
> ours is so it really does act like a huge beacon for them to alert them
> as to where the amenties are.
> I would imagine that this wil be the case when you get your new pussyt
> cat.If they give you a bit of litter that she has already urinated on,
> then she will recognise the smell &*know* that this is where she is
> meant to be.
>
> Speaking to someone posting on here earlier, ewhen talking about Lucy,
> she advised me that for a certain length of time, It would be a good
> idea to contain her to a certain are just to start with, so that she
> can't get lost, she will know where her food is, & have time to get
> used to her new surroundings too.

I did this for a considerable period of time -- first, because Holly needed
time to adjust to the newcomer; and, second, so Duffy could learn his way
around the new house. I had a bedroom reserved just for Duffy. In the
evening, I would put Holly in a separate room for a short time and leave
Duffy out so he could learn his way around. At first, I closed all doors in
the hallway except his bedroom so he would not become lost. I sat on a
chair at the end of the hallway and let him learn his way down the hall to
find me, then watched him carefully as he worked his way around the living
area and kitchen. I watched closely for a few days so he would not become
frightened if he became disoriented. He really was remarkable, though. He
only needed a few days of navigation before he was completely confident. He
tended to hug the walls for the first few days but soon made full use of the
room and knew exactly where he was at all times. For awhile, I would be
careful to set him down in the same location (beside a chair so he could
also "feel" the position) anytime I picked him up, but that soon was not
necessary. I also was careful to leave all furniture in exactly the same
location. Again, that soon was not necessary. I still do not make a lot of
major adjustments at one time, but if I move a chair Duffy will be sitting
in it within 5 minutes!

> You will have to go to her, rather than vice versa in this instance~
> then ever so slowly & gradually, you can allow her a bit more space to
> explore every single day...then ever so gradually, you will have to
> allow both Jessie and kitty to meet each other, through some mesh to
> start with in her room-You might have to create a door stopper/blocker
> that Jessie can see through & kitty can smell through, just until they
> become aware of each other, but cant reach each other , then again,
> very gradually once they have had a really good to sniff one another,
> you will be able to give kitty a bit more room to explore until in the
> end, she will have the run of where you allow her to.I would point out
> that however well they appear to be getting on, I would never leave
> them alone in the begining @ least...
>
Excellent advice! The door with the see-through panel was one of the most
important elements in Duffy's introduction. Holly had always hated other
cats, so I took great care to keep them separate. It was a full 6 weeks
before I left them alone together at all times, but it was time well spent.

A friend located a very cheap unfinished door at a lumberyard. It was
damaged, so we bought it for almost nothing. He cut a square in it and
covered that with metal mesh. He also put wood over the cut edges so they
would not be sharp. Each cat could be aware of the other but could not
actually get together. We also mounted small hooks at the upper corners so
I could drape a towel over the opening if either became agitated, but that
never became necessary. I spent a lot of time with Duffy in "his" rom, and
then I lavished *lots* of praise and attention on Holly every time I left
Duffy's room because I did not want her to fear that she was being
displaced. I left a radio tuned to a classical or "easy listening" station
turned on in Duffy's room when I left him alone. I think that gave him a
sense of companionship.

I will place links to a "pictorial history" under my sig of what I did in
bringing the two together.
> I think we are both doing a bit of cross posting here lol.
> I have just responded to one of your posting on *Ping Bookie*, about
> this very subject,lol!!
> >"o"<
>> it is like that with your new cat lucy i suppose? because she is a
>> hissing spitting scaredy cat you want to protect her and love her more
>> because you know it is her way of protecting herself after having been
>> through such a horrendous time with the collar injury and everything,
>> because she is scared and confused.
>
> This is correct.I was horrified when we first saw the extent of her
> injuries.I do thank the chap upstairs, for allowing me to be in the
> right place at the right time, to observe the nasty bulge on the side
> of her neck, the collar that caught my attention, the family that lent
> me the trap to catch her in, Phil for giving me the confidence to
> believe in myself, & the advice on how to use it as well as the
> demonstration by the family who lent it to me( they were even kind
> enough to come and collect the trap too, to save me the drive all the
> way back to Mildenhall)... & of course the vet, who treated her out of
> the goodness of her heart-There were a lot of people involved in the
> story of little Lucy(furr)
>
It is really heartwarming to read of someone who will take such good care of
one of our little furbabies that had previously been abused.

> Lucy has come on in leaps and bounds.Far better & much faster than I
> could ever have wished for really.What I don't want to make the mistake
> of, is assuming that it will all be plain sailing & continuously
> advancement only...there are bound to be day's when she is feeling down
> or not up to hugs and cuddles too.To have got to where we are, Is
> almost a miracle.The relationship & bond that she has formed with Tilly
> is quite remarkable...
> I am so pleased that she has chosen one of us to trust enough to do the
> dying fly for to allow her to give her tummy tickle's is utterly
> amazing(as long as you don't go near her spay site of course!!)
>
>> how anyone can get cross with an animal i don't know. Animals do not do
>> things which we find unacceptable out of malice or to annoy us
>> deliberately, they do these things because it is either their normal
>> behaviour (scratching furniture to mark or spraying for same reason) or
>> because there are scared, stressed or in pain and have no other way to
>> cope with it.
>
> Lucy has done plenty of all of the above mentioned-in fact on day 2-3,
> I almost thought I would allow her to slink off once she had been
> spayed..I now berate myself for having no faith In her.I was going to
> wait until she had recovered then allow her to leave if she wished to,
> then allow her to come back if she wished to as well.
> She has changed from a hell spitting tasmanian devil, into a part time
> devil ha ha:o)
> She was a grimmy little smelly girl,riddled with fleas, worms ,puss &
> abcess- and had a collar growing into her neck, yet only a few short
> weeks later, she is now a loveable little girl for Tilly.She is still
> be very wary around the rest of us, but that is to be expected given
> the condition and obvious abuse that she had been through.
> I would love to know who allowed her to get into this state, but most
> of all, why?
> I am so gald that I didn't turn a blind eye.It would have been all to
> easy, & one day , she would never have returned to the bowl & we would
> have shrugged it off thinking that she had found a home
>
> >have to hug
> jessie now for no reason other than because she is
>> beautiful and lovely, although i will have to catch her first cos she
>> is 'chase me' mood and wants play (which involves me running aruond
>> dragging a purple fuzzy worm thing onthe end of a string so she can
>> chase it and pounce on it. If ever the world is invaded by small fuzzy
>> purple things from out of space she will be ready for them)
> bookie
> Lucy's current favourite is a kitten tunnel that she can get into,
> where no one can reach her & she lies down and goes to sleep in
> there.Till yonly has to call her & she comes straight out.She is also
> facinated with a slinky that I gave tilly for xmas too- one of those
> wire thing that climbs down the strairs on it's own if you can remember
> them?She loves it & follows it without even touching it...
> All of the other cats are bursting with curiosity, but we have kept
> them appart for a few reasons, just until she is up to meeting them if
> she wants to.I have given up worrying about rehoming her.Why worry
> about that yet?
> I can even see her becoming a part of our family, but we will take one
> step at a time.The only cat that she will allow within 100yards, Is
> Ringo super star-perhaps they are old friends?Who knows?!!!!
> Tonight, she is in her usual place, sharing Tilly's pillow of course!
>
> I think I might have a pregnant Raggy.I thought that I had caught her
> before she started calling...
> <thought sheela smuggly @ the time>
> She looks like she might be..& if so, not very many kittens..but
> definately pure Rags because Taz is her favourite friend and they share
> a pen normally:(
> <Sheealgh shuffles her feet guiltily>...
> IF so, I calculate that she must be around 4-5weeks gone.I took a few
> photos of her yesterday & noticed a bitty- little podge & pink
> nipples.Gosh I do feel stupid & worse,
> a bit like the pot calling the kettle black tooI am hoping not, but I
> have a gutt feeling that she is-they would be due around the end of
> Jan,beginig of Feb....If she has some this time, I think I am going to
> spay her after the litter is weaned.
> Shr has done her fair share of kitten hood & I think it would be best
> for her sake and ours too
> I will try to add a link so that you can look at her & a couple of her
> previous kitty's & mate as well.Taz is being done next week-I am too
> skint to do it before then
> I really do wish you well with new kitty..I keep calling her that-what
> is her name btw?
> S;o)
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sheelaghmadden/BlueBelle
>

I did not snip anything, as I usually do, because interspersed several
comments throughout. This message is probably a bit hard to follow by now
because 3 of us have intermingled our remarks, but here are the links to the
"pictorial history" of Duffy's introduction to Holly. You can see several
pictures here of the door with cut-out panel. Incidentally, a very
inexpensive screen door can fulfill the same purpose. I took the permanent
door down, used the hardware (doorknob and hinges) from that door on the new
door, then reversed the process once I no longer needed the temporary door.
The temp door is now lying in my attic, in case I ever need it again. I had
Nathan cut off enough of the bottom so a platter could be slipped underneath
(just a couple of inches). That way, I could place tuna on each end and the
two cats would be eating off the same platter without any danger of a fight
ensuing because they were separated by the door.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

MaryL
January 7th 07, 05:56 AM
"bookie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> sheelagh wrote:
>> almost a miracle.The relationship & bond that she has formed with Tilly
>> is quite remarkable...
>
>> Tonight, she is in her usual place, sharing Tilly's pillow of course!
>>
>
> for god's sake it is obvious! why don't you phone this other woman up ,
> tell her lucy has now got anothetr home and just keep her yourself?
> lucy has obviously chosen your gaff , she feels happy there and has
> someone there she now trusts and loves, so why risk making lucy unhappy
> by forcing her to move elsewhere to a situation which is uncertain and
> which may not work out and is certainly not one of lucy's choosing?
> lucy has had a hard life so far it seems and she has finally found a
> place where she has just started to feel protected and secure, why
> change it and upset her when she has finally become settled?
>
> tilly probably wants her to stay doesn't she? and how can you be
> certain that this other woman will be as tolerant of lucy's little
> 'foibles' such as hissing and suchlike? let lucy stay with you for
> now, she obviously wants to stay, why can't she?
> bookie
>

Good advice! It would be hearbreaking if Lucy were uprooted, sent to
another home, then uprooted again if it doesn't work out -- and this
situation does not sound at all promising. She has bonded with you, and I
think you would miss her just as much as she would miss you. If at all
possible, let her make your home her forever home!

MaryL

sheelagh
January 7th 07, 01:39 PM
MaryL wrote:
> "bookie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > sheelagh wrote:
> >> almost a miracle.The relationship & bond that she has formed with Tilly
> >> is quite remarkable...
> >
> >> Tonight, she is in her usual place, sharing Tilly's pillow of course!
> >>
> >
> > for god's sake it is obvious! why don't you phone this other woman up ,
> > tell her lucy has now got anothetr home and just keep her yourself?
> > lucy has obviously chosen your gaff , she feels happy there and has
> > someone there she now trusts and loves, so why risk making lucy unhappy
> > by forcing her to move elsewhere to a situation which is uncertain and
> > which may not work out and is certainly not one of lucy's choosing?
> > lucy has had a hard life so far it seems and she has finally found a
> > place where she has just started to feel protected and secure, why
> > change it and upset her when she has finally become settled?
> >
> > tilly probably wants her to stay doesn't she? and how can you be
> > certain that this other woman will be as tolerant of lucy's little
> > 'foibles' such as hissing and suchlike? let lucy stay with you for
> > now, she obviously wants to stay, why can't she?
> > bookie
> >
>
> Good advice! It would be hearbreaking if Lucy were uprooted, sent to
> another home, then uprooted again if it doesn't work out -- and this
> situation does not sound at all promising. She has bonded with you, and I
> think you would miss her just as much as she would miss you. If at all
> possible, let her make your home her forever home!
>
> MaryL
LOL.....!
Point taken...&we also now have one delighted Tilly of course too :o)
Now when People come round to see us It will be,
"Please, do come in...have you
met,Paul,(Partner),Luke,Ross,,Jack,Tilly( kids)..,
Biffy,Lilly,Taz,Ringo,Blue-Belle,Lucy(fur!) &Rosy too"?,(part time
puss)....
I have just rung her & explained that I thought it will take some time
for Lucy to be sociable enough to re home & I don't know when that will
be,If ever..

Tilly is walking around like the cheshire cat, the rest of the kids are
delighted & The rest of the cats are just raising their collective eye
brow's lol.Obviously Lucy must understand because a got a furious leg
weave out of her whilst I was on the phone >"o"<
I would have missed her desperately,as would the rest of the household
too.The lady in question is now coming again next week end to meet a
very interesting tortie who has been coming to the community feeding
bowl for some 2months now, & lives in our garage on very wet or cold
night's.Yety another customer to be spayed next week.One advantage of
doing a bit of work for the cat protection league is that I only have
to find half the cost of the spaying fee-they pay for the ther half,
which is why I don't mind spending saturday's in the high street with
collection boxes..shaking them in front of anyone that I think might be
remotely cat-i-fied.

I will now have to think about buying shares in whiskers cat food, or
possibilly Royal Canin, then everything should be fairly perfect.
My only other anxiety is the indoor or outdoor issue with regard to
Lucy.She is very obviously street wise.I am not sure whether it was a
case of having to be, or enforced upon her in the past.She seems quite
happy presently to remain indoors, & when she makes it clear that she
would like to go out, by mieowing @ the patio door & sratching at it, I
take her out the the run, where she has a good munch on the grass, then
climbs up the wall & sits on one of the shelves @ about 6foot high so
that she can see over the fence in to the meadow to see whats going on
in the world.I am assuming that she eats the grass as a laxative?

I wonder if I should be allowing her to go back out, & if so-when would
it be appropriate to do so?As yet, she hasn't asked to go out of the
front door, but I have the feeling that the day will come,& I just want
to be ready for it & know how to react to it?She had been coming to the
community feeding bowl for some time now, so she definately knows her
way around the area.

Ringo is the only cat brave enough to go near Lucy so far.He just waits
until her back is turned then has a good sniff @ her, but if she
catches him, he gets a quick swipe for his troubles-It doesn't seem to
put him off though-he just waits until her back is turned again, then
goes and sits next to her, just out of swiping reach,lol-what a show
off he is?!!
It never occoured to me to ask the vet how old she thinks Lucy might
be~but if I had to hazzard a guess, I wouldn't say that she is much
over a year old...

Well, Tilly has been reading my postings this morning, & has asked me
to thank you both for talking me into keeping Lucy.She is thoroughly
delighted of course & has just been on the internet looking for a
particular bed that she would like to buy for Lucy out of her xmas
money(she is a girl after my own heart-she makes me pay for everything
that she wants, the spends her cash on what she would like personaly,
when she thinks I won't cough up the cash for it)...I hope she remains
that wise when it comes to choosing her husband, tee,hee;o).

She would like to buy a little boxing ring bed for her because she
thinks it would suit her liuttle tough character..for when Tilly is at
school.At any other time, there is no question of where she will slip,
on her pillow of course.
Thanks for the encouragement, & welcome to Sheelagh's world of kids n
cats lol.
S:o)

MaryL
January 7th 07, 04:28 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>
> MaryL wrote:
>> "bookie" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >
>> > sheelagh wrote:
>> >> almost a miracle.The relationship & bond that she has formed with
>> >> Tilly
>> >> is quite remarkable...
>> >
>> >> Tonight, she is in her usual place, sharing Tilly's pillow of course!
>> >>
>> >
>> > for god's sake it is obvious! why don't you phone this other woman up ,
>> > tell her lucy has now got anothetr home and just keep her yourself?
>> > lucy has obviously chosen your gaff , she feels happy there and has
>> > someone there she now trusts and loves, so why risk making lucy unhappy
>> > by forcing her to move elsewhere to a situation which is uncertain and
>> > which may not work out and is certainly not one of lucy's choosing?
>> > lucy has had a hard life so far it seems and she has finally found a
>> > place where she has just started to feel protected and secure, why
>> > change it and upset her when she has finally become settled?
>> >
>> > tilly probably wants her to stay doesn't she? and how can you be
>> > certain that this other woman will be as tolerant of lucy's little
>> > 'foibles' such as hissing and suchlike? let lucy stay with you for
>> > now, she obviously wants to stay, why can't she?
>> > bookie
>> >
>>
>> Good advice! It would be hearbreaking if Lucy were uprooted, sent to
>> another home, then uprooted again if it doesn't work out -- and this
>> situation does not sound at all promising. She has bonded with you, and
>> I
>> think you would miss her just as much as she would miss you. If at all
>> possible, let her make your home her forever home!
>>
>> MaryL
> LOL.....!
> Point taken...&we also now have one delighted Tilly of course too :o)
> Now when People come round to see us It will be,
> "Please, do come in...have you
> met,Paul,(Partner),Luke,Ross,,Jack,Tilly( kids)..,
> Biffy,Lilly,Taz,Ringo,Blue-Belle,Lucy(fur!) &Rosy too"?,(part time
> puss)....
> I have just rung her & explained that I thought it will take some time
> for Lucy to be sociable enough to re home & I don't know when that will
> be,If ever..
>
> >
<snip>
> I wonder if I should be allowing her to go back out, & if so-when would
> it be appropriate to do so?As yet, she hasn't asked to go out of the
> front door, but I have the feeling that the day will come,& I just want
> to be ready for it & know how to react to it?She had been coming to the
> community feeding bowl for some time now, so she definately knows her
> way around the area.
>
<snip>
>Thanks for the encouragement, & welcome to Sheelagh's world of kids n
> cats lol.
> S:o)
>

Wonderful news! I'm so glad you made that decision. You were a real
diplomat in explaining it to the lady in question, too. I'm not the right
person to ask about the indoor-outdoor issue, though. My cats are
indoor-only. I live in the US, where we have more dangers -- natural
predators and *others* -- so my interest has always been in how to adjust a
cat to indoors and make sure it is a safe and happy enviornment for them.
My twosome are completely happy and do not show any interest at all in going
outdoors.

MaryL

Lesley
January 8th 07, 12:17 AM
sheelagh wrote:

> LOL.....!
> Point taken...&we also now have one delighted Tilly of course too :o)
> Now when People come round to see us It will be,
> "Please, do come in...have you
> met,Paul,(Partner),Luke,Ross,,Jack,Tilly( kids)..,
> Biffy,Lilly,Taz,Ringo,Blue-Belle,Lucy(fur!) &Rosy too"?,(part time
> puss)....


Great news! I could see you had bonded with Lucy and I was really
hoping you'd see the light and give her a forever home!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

sheelagh
January 8th 07, 05:56 AM
Lesley wrote:
> sheelagh wrote:
>
> > LOL.....!
> > Point taken...&we also now have one delighted Tilly of course too :o)
> > Now when People come round to see us It will be,
> > "Please, do come in...have you
> > met,Paul,(Partner),Luke,Ross,,Jack,Tilly( kids)..,
> > Biffy,Lilly,Taz,Ringo,Blue-Belle,Lucy(fur!) &Rosy too"?,(part time
> > puss)....
> for god's sake it is obvious! why don't you phone this other woman up ,
tell her lucy has now got anothetr home and just keep her yourself?
> Bookie
> Great news! I could see you had bonded with Lucy and I was really
> hoping you'd see the light and give her a forever home!
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

*I see it took some seeking, going back through the postings",said
sheelagh..!!!!.

Thanks for your input too Mary:o)

Diplomacy is my third name, right in front of put- your -foot -in
-mouth, and right behind how-to-make-yourself-look-really-stupid,ha ha.

I have given up worrying about whether Lucy wants to go out or not for
the moment..why worry about something that hasn't happened yet?She
seems perfectly contented for the moment, so I shall worry about that,
if and when it happens.

This evening lucy came into the living room for the first time whilst
we were all in here,sauntered through to *her* kitchen and went and sat
in the window sill, just watching the world go by.It was as though we
didn't exist!!

When you said she feels at home, you didn't really realise quite how
much;I know that I certainly didn't!
Actually, she has spent the whole day surveying her new house..every
single room has had a visit now.Once she had finished her tour, she
went straight back upstairs to the most important room in the house.The
room that she allows Tilly to share with her of course...
I went in there a few moments ago, & there were the pair of them were
all tucked up in the quilt.Lucy just opened one eye to have a quick
peep at me.As soon as she realised who it was, she just closed them
again & dismissed me...I still can't believe the transformation.
I regret not taking a *before photo*, to share with you, so that you
could see how different the after photo is..but then again, I had no
idea that she was coming to live with us...
How stupid of me...those little claws are not just in the rug, they
have now entered the soul too,lol.
Just as long as they don't want me to stick my head out of the window
calling Lucy(fur), things will be fine:o)
S.