PDA

View Full Version : Beginning CRF diet

Rhonda
January 7th 07, 06:57 AM
Okay, here we go -- Bear, our 15 year old, was just diagnosed with the
start of CRF. I didn't get the vet's call with the actual numbers, but
I'm told the BUN and creatnin are just a little higher than normal
range. One number that can go as high as 10, is at 11. The other is also
just over. His other numbers, potassium, phosphorus, etc. are still normal.

Bear had started drinking more water and has been in the litter box more
often the last couple of weeks, that's why we did the blood test. Other
than that -- he's appears normal. He has not lost any weight.

Any suggestions for a beginning CRF diet? The vet said putting him on a
prescription diet now is probably a good idea and could help his kidneys
last longer. Is that the best idea, or is there a lower phosphorus food
just as good for him now and we don't need to go prescription yet?

Thanks,

Rhonda

Linda Frazo
January 7th 07, 03:57 PM
My kitty Sasha passed from CRF in October. She was diagnosed in January of
2006 so we spent 10 months trying to hold on to her. I would suggest you go
prescription ASAP. The idea behind it is so the kidneys don't have to work
any harder than they have to. I wish you luck and and treasure every day you
have left with him. What I would give for one more day. There are a couple
good groups on yahoo with a lot of info.

and if it gets this bad....

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Okay, here we go -- Bear, our 15 year old, was just diagnosed with the
> start of CRF. I didn't get the vet's call with the actual numbers, but I'm
> told the BUN and creatnin are just a little higher than normal range. One
> number that can go as high as 10, is at 11. The other is also just over.
> His other numbers, potassium, phosphorus, etc. are still normal.
>
> Bear had started drinking more water and has been in the litter box more
> often the last couple of weeks, that's why we did the blood test. Other
> than that -- he's appears normal. He has not lost any weight.
>
> Any suggestions for a beginning CRF diet? The vet said putting him on a
> prescription diet now is probably a good idea and could help his kidneys
> last longer. Is that the best idea, or is there a lower phosphorus food
> just as good for him now and we don't need to go prescription yet?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhonda

Lynne
January 8th 07, 06:01 PM
on Sun, 07 Jan 2007 15:57:42 GMT, "Linda Frazo"
> wrote:

> I would suggest you go
> prescription ASAP. The idea behind it is so the kidneys don't have to
> work any harder than they have to.

I agree. Calvin was diagnosed with CRF when he was 15. We immediately
stopped letting him go outside (he hunted and ate his prey) and put him on
a prescription diet. He lived to be almost 21, and I attribute that in
large part to his diet.

--
Lynne

Rhonda
January 9th 07, 05:12 AM
Thanks, Linda. I did sign up for the yahoo group.

I'm sorry Sasha only lasted 10 months after diagnosis. That was such a
short time. We did have one other cat with CRF but it was so long ago I
can't remember when we started her on a prescription diet. Some of the
wet food now has phosphorus and protein numbers fairly close to
prescription. I don't know if there are any other changes in the food.

Thanks for the info,

Rhonda

Linda Frazo wrote:
> My kitty Sasha passed from CRF in October. She was diagnosed in January of
> 2006 so we spent 10 months trying to hold on to her. I would suggest you go
> prescription ASAP. The idea behind it is so the kidneys don't have to work
> any harder than they have to. I wish you luck and and treasure every day you
> have left with him. What I would give for one more day. There are a couple
> good groups on yahoo with a lot of info.

> and if it gets this bad....

> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Okay, here we go -- Bear, our 15 year old, was just diagnosed with the
>>start of CRF. I didn't get the vet's call with the actual numbers, but I'm
>>told the BUN and creatnin are just a little higher than normal range. One
>>number that can go as high as 10, is at 11. The other is also just over.
>>His other numbers, potassium, phosphorus, etc. are still normal.
>>
>>Bear had started drinking more water and has been in the litter box more
>>often the last couple of weeks, that's why we did the blood test. Other
>>than that -- he's appears normal. He has not lost any weight.
>>
>>Any suggestions for a beginning CRF diet? The vet said putting him on a
>>prescription diet now is probably a good idea and could help his kidneys
>>last longer. Is that the best idea, or is there a lower phosphorus food
>>just as good for him now and we don't need to go prescription yet?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Rhonda

Rhonda
January 9th 07, 05:14 AM
Lynne wrote:
> on Sun, 07 Jan 2007 15:57:42 GMT, "Linda Frazo"
> > wrote:
>
>>I would suggest you go
>>prescription ASAP. The idea behind it is so the kidneys don't have to
>>work any harder than they have to.
>
> I agree. Calvin was diagnosed with CRF when he was 15. We immediately
> stopped letting him go outside (he hunted and ate his prey) and put him on
> a prescription diet. He lived to be almost 21, and I attribute that in
> large part to his diet.

Wow, 21! One of our cats lived a long time with CRF, she died when she
was 18. She had CRF 4-5 years before that. I just can't remember the
details of her diet -- I know we had her on Purina NF for quite awhile.

Rhonda