PDA

View Full Version : Bach Flower Essences for nervous cat

honeybunch
January 9th 07, 07:57 PM
I wonder if anyone has had any experiences with using Bach Flower
Essences on their cat and/or has gone to a practioner. My cat gets
unduely frightened. He is a stray that adopted me last September. He
lives indoors with me now and has no interest in going outside. At one
time, he incurred a terrible injury which has left him lame in his rear
right leg and his left eye droops a bit as well. So he probably has a
right to be frightened of shadows even though he is hale and hardy in
all other respects. Yesterday the dryer started to squeal as it was
tumbling and he went nuts and wrapped his arms around my leg and almost
bit me. Then a few days ago, I surprised him as he lay next to me in
bed, and he hissed and showed his claws. If he were a human, he would
need a tranquilizer. I might add he has not been castrated. Is there
any kind of herbal remedy that might relax his nerves? I have some
Mimulus and Rock Rose (Bach Flower Essences) and just gave him a few
drops and put a bit of Rescue Remedy Cream on his front paw. He doesnt
seem to mind this.

cybercat
January 9th 07, 10:13 PM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I wonder if anyone has had any experiences with using Bach Flower
> Essences on their cat and/or has gone to a practioner. My cat gets
> unduely frightened. He is a stray that adopted me last September. He
> lives indoors with me now and has no interest in going outside. At one
> time, he incurred a terrible injury which has left him lame in his rear
> right leg and his left eye droops a bit as well. So he probably has a
> right to be frightened of shadows even though he is hale and hardy in
> all other respects. Yesterday the dryer started to squeal as it was
> tumbling and he went nuts and wrapped his arms around my leg and almost
> bit me. Then a few days ago, I surprised him as he lay next to me in
> bed, and he hissed and showed his claws. If he were a human, he would
> need a tranquilizer. I might add he has not been castrated. Is there
> any kind of herbal remedy that might relax his nerves? I have some
> Mimulus and Rock Rose (Bach Flower Essences) and just gave him a few
> drops and put a bit of Rescue Remedy Cream on his front paw. He doesnt
> seem to mind this.

Give him time! And peace and quiet, and lots of gentle affection. Make sure
he has his own places to retire to, to hide. It takes time to heal. He will
blossom
in time.

MaryL
January 9th 07, 11:56 PM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I wonder if anyone has had any experiences with using Bach Flower
> Essences on their cat and/or has gone to a practioner. My cat gets
> unduely frightened. He is a stray that adopted me last September. He
> lives indoors with me now and has no interest in going outside. At one
> time, he incurred a terrible injury which has left him lame in his rear
> right leg and his left eye droops a bit as well. So he probably has a
> right to be frightened of shadows even though he is hale and hardy in
> all other respects. Yesterday the dryer started to squeal as it was
> tumbling and he went nuts and wrapped his arms around my leg and almost
> bit me. Then a few days ago, I surprised him as he lay next to me in
> bed, and he hissed and showed his claws. If he were a human, he would
> need a tranquilizer. I might add he has not been castrated. Is there
> any kind of herbal remedy that might relax his nerves? I have some
> Mimulus and Rock Rose (Bach Flower Essences) and just gave him a few
> drops and put a bit of Rescue Remedy Cream on his front paw. He doesnt
> seem to mind this.

Have you tried Feliway? It is available in a plug-in diffuser that
continually releases a premeasured amount. Some people can detect a slight
scent for a short time after plugging one, but after that is no perceptible
odor. However, it has a calming effect on many cats. One refill lasts a
little more than a month. Once your cat adjusts, you will probably be able
to discontinue the Feliway. By the way, I would be pleased that your cat
does not want to go outdoors (but not pleased if he is in fear, of course).
He will be much safer indoors.

MaryL

honeybunch
January 10th 07, 01:38 PM
Thank you for this information. Do you know where I can purchace the
Feliway® Pheromone Spray and Diffuser. The company is not helpful
with that information of its web site. The cat does do that smelly
marking as well although I have not caught him doing it but I can smell
it especially in around the entrance doorway.

MaryL wrote:
> "honeybunch" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >I wonder if anyone has had any experiences with using Bach Flower
> > Essences on their cat and/or has gone to a practioner. My cat gets
> > unduely frightened. He is a stray that adopted me last September. He
> > lives indoors with me now and has no interest in going outside. At one
> > time, he incurred a terrible injury which has left him lame in his rear
> > right leg and his left eye droops a bit as well. So he probably has a
> > right to be frightened of shadows even though he is hale and hardy in
> > all other respects. Yesterday the dryer started to squeal as it was
> > tumbling and he went nuts and wrapped his arms around my leg and almost
> > bit me. Then a few days ago, I surprised him as he lay next to me in
> > bed, and he hissed and showed his claws. If he were a human, he would
> > need a tranquilizer. I might add he has not been castrated. Is there
> > any kind of herbal remedy that might relax his nerves? I have some
> > Mimulus and Rock Rose (Bach Flower Essences) and just gave him a few
> > drops and put a bit of Rescue Remedy Cream on his front paw. He doesnt
> > seem to mind this.
> >

> Have you tried Feliway? It is available in a plug-in diffuser that
> continually releases a premeasured amount. Some people can detect a slight
> scent for a short time after plugging one, but after that is no perceptible
> odor. However, it has a calming effect on many cats. One refill lasts a
> little more than a month. Once your cat adjusts, you will probably be able
> to discontinue the Feliway. By the way, I would be pleased that your cat
> does not want to go outdoors (but not pleased if he is in fear, of course).
> He will be much safer indoors.
>
> MaryL

MaryL
January 10th 07, 05:41 PM
"honeybunch" > wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you for this information. Do you know where I can purchace the
Feliway® Pheromone Spray and Diffuser. The company is not helpful
with that information of its web site. The cat does do that smelly
marking as well although I have not caught him doing it but I can smell
it especially in around the entrance doorway.

I originally used Feliway when I adopted Duffy, and I found it very helpful
in producing a "calmer" atmosphere during the introduction process with
Holly. I ordered mine from ValleyVet (http://www.valleyvet.com). They have
better prices than most others. Shipping is $6.00, or no charge if you order
more than $60.00. The last time I checked, they had Feliway on special for
$24.95 for a diffuser with one bottle of Feliway. It is also available as a
spray for $15.95 (or $13.95 if 3 are ordered). Do *not* order the
formulation with D.A.P. because that version is for dogs.
Plug-in diffuser and 1 bottle can be seen here: http://tinyurl.com/8n0y
Refills here: http://tinyurl.com/y3x3pk

Here are a couple of other sources for Feliway:
www.petguys.com - Feliway plug-in dispenser and one bottle = $23.99 at my
most recent check
www.petfooddirect.com - currently $29.99 for the plug-in and one bottle

Feliway is used for behavior modification and can be very useful in reducing
stress. It is available in plug-in diffusers (with refills available) and as
a spray. I used the plug-ins so it could be working all the time. One bottle
lasts a little more than a month. A spray version is also available. It is
excellent for an occasional use, such as spraying the carrier about 20
minutes before you take your cat to the vet, but the plug-in diffuser is
better for long-term use because it releases premeasured doses.

Here is a link to a study by Ohio State University:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/11/001129074611.htm

You will also need to thoroughy clean areas where the cat has sprayed (use
an enzymatic cleaner). Otherwise, the scent will act as an attractant.
Also, has your cat had a full veterinary exam? It is important to *first*
determine if this is a medical or a behavioral issue.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o