PDA

View Full Version : A Med For Tapeworms?

B Kat
January 10th 07, 12:31 AM
Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like moving
pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
tapeworms.

Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.

MaryL
January 10th 07, 12:52 AM
"B Kat" > wrote in message
> Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like moving
> pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
> tapeworms.
>
> Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
> take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.

Go to a veterinarian. Over-the-counter meds are ineffective and are
sometimes dangerous. If you already have a regular vet, you may be able to
get the meds if you describe the situation and/or take a stool sample for
analysis. I always prefer to take my cats in when I have any questions, but
you have precisely described tapeworm.

MaryL

John Ross Mc Master
January 10th 07, 02:23 AM
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:31:10 -0800, (B Kat) wrote:

>Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like moving
>pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
>tapeworms.
>
>Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
>take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.

Drontyl

Phil P.
January 11th 07, 07:43 AM
"B Kat" > wrote in message
> Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like moving
> pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
> tapeworms.
>
> Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
> take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.

Most OTC wormers are older drugs andnot as safe as the newer drugs you get
from the vet. The few bucks you'll save isn't worth the risk.

Mike S.
January 15th 07, 07:53 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> "B Kat" > wrote in message
> > Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like moving
> > pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
> > tapeworms.
> >
> > Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
> > take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.
>
> Most OTC wormers are older drugs andnot as safe as the newer drugs you get
> from the vet. The few bucks you'll save isn't worth the risk.

There is an OTC Praziquantel (the same stuff you get from the vet)
that is perfectly legal to buy. I contacted the FDA and asked about it
and they said it's legal.

Phil P.
January 16th 07, 11:54 AM
"Mike S." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Phil P. wrote:
> > "B Kat" > wrote in message
> > > Hi, I just noticed my cat has worms. They are white and look like
moving
> > > pieces of white rice. I googled them and I'm pretty sure they are
> > > tapeworms.
> > >
> > > Is there a good med that I can buy at the pet store, or do I have to
> > > take my cat to the vet for treatment. Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Most OTC wormers are older drugs andnot as safe as the newer drugs you
get
> > from the vet. The few bucks you'll save isn't worth the risk.
>

> There is an OTC Praziquantel (the same stuff you get from the vet)
> that is perfectly legal to buy. I contacted the FDA and asked about it
> and they said it's legal.

I know OTCs are legal- that's not what I meant.

Which brand are you referring to? I want to take a look at the formulation.

Mike S.
January 17th 07, 11:12 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Mike S." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Phil P. wrote:
> moving

> > > Most OTC wormers are older drugs andnot as safe as the newer drugs you
> get
> > > from the vet. The few bucks you'll save isn't worth the risk.
> >

> > There is an OTC Praziquantel (the same stuff you get from the vet)
> > that is perfectly legal to buy. I contacted the FDA and asked about it
> > and they said it's legal.
>
> I know OTCs are legal- that's not what I meant.
>
> Which brand are you referring to? I want to take a look at the formulation.

The only brand I know of is Trade Winds. Their website -
tradewindsforpets.com

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you were talking about. It just
sounded like you didn't know that there was a legal OTC tapeworm pill.
I know that there are many websites that sell products that are
supposed to get rid of tapeworms and those products are unsafe because
they use older or uncommon main/active ingredients (something other
than Praziquantel). That's what I thought you were saying.