PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP! Fleas, fleas, FLEAS!

EADGBE
January 10th 07, 02:26 AM
We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
problem has gotten completely out of hand.

We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?

PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

Matthew
January 10th 07, 03:30 AM
"EADGBE" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
> problem has gotten completely out of hand.
>
> We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
> treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.
>
> My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
> like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
> should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?
>
> PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

Save your pennies some of the cheaper ones can actually harm the furballs
I use advantage and the cost is not that much. I live in Florida where the
humidity and climate breeds fleas like crazy. I have six cats and no fleas

January 10th 07, 09:10 AM
If you've got fleas in the house, buy a container of "Fleabusters"
powder. You need to get them out of the carpets or flooring in your
home. A jar of powder costs about 22.95. There's not much you can do
about about the cost of Frontline/Advantage/Revolution. The cheaper
products are not just ineffective - they can really be harmful. If you
buy online at drsfostersmith.com - you can get a Frontline sixpack for
about $45 plus shipping.

EADGBE wrote:
> We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
> problem has gotten completely out of hand.
>
> We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
> treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.
>
> My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
> like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
> should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?
>
> PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

cindys
January 10th 07, 02:52 PM
wrote:
> If you've got fleas in the house, buy a container of "Fleabusters"
> powder. You need to get them out of the carpets or flooring in your
> home. A jar of powder costs about 22.95. There's not much you can do
> about about the cost of Frontline/Advantage/Revolution. The cheaper
> products are not just ineffective - they can really be harmful. If you
> buy online at drsfostersmith.com - you can get a Frontline sixpack for
> about $45 plus shipping.
--------------
My vet (who is expensive) charges around $10 per treatment for
Revolution. It seems to me that EADGBE is not going to save a whole lot
of money by ordering on-line. That having been said, I understand I am
not taking into account the cost of the veterinary visit. A few months
ago, we brought in a foster cat who turned out to have fleas (I had
been assured that the cat did not have fleas and foolishly neglected to
check myself). My veterinarian was willing to examine just the one cat
while providing me with enough Revolution to treat my other four cats
myself at home. So, that may be a possibility...
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

bobblespin
January 10th 07, 03:50 PM
"EADGBE" > wrote in news:1168392367.864345.7140
@i39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

> We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
> problem has gotten completely out of hand.
>
> We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
> treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.
>
> My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
> like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
> should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?
>
> PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

In the long run you'll save money if you buy something that works in the
first place, instead of spending money on this and that which won't work,
and in the end you'll have to buy the stuff that works anyway.

Bobble
--
Have you hugged your cat today?

Sonny's web page --> http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html

January 10th 07, 05:09 PM
> We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
> treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.

Unfortunately, you're going to end up spending more money if you get
the cheaper stuff
1. you'll use it more frequently
2. it just isn't as effective so you'll end up spending money on flea
bombs
3. in a worst case scenario, one of your cats will react to the cheap
stuff and you'll end up with a vet bill.

Frontline is worth the money in the long run.

Bryan S.
January 10th 07, 08:21 PM
[ )]
[10 Jan 2007 08:09:52 -0800]

> > We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
> > treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.
>
> Unfortunately, you're going to end up spending more money if you get
> the cheaper stuff
> 1. you'll use it more frequently
> 2. it just isn't as effective so you'll end up spending money on flea
> bombs
> 3. in a worst case scenario, one of your cats will react to the cheap
> stuff and you'll end up with a vet bill.
>
> Frontline is worth the money in the long run.

Frontline is also just not that expensive.

Pet ownership isn't a fundamental right.. it's a luxury and a
responsibility. If proper care cannot be provided, the animal shouldn't
have been obtained in the first place. (Sorry to be so blunt, but it's
absolutely true.) Suppose an expensive vet bill arose? Broken leg,
etc?

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

sheelagh
January 10th 07, 11:02 PM
> > Frontline is worth the money in the long run.
>
> Frontline is also just not that expensive.
>
> Pet ownership isn't a fundamental right.. it's a luxury and a
> responsibility. If proper care cannot be provided, the animal shouldn't
> have been obtained in the first place. (Sorry to be so blunt, but it's
> absolutely true.) Suppose an expensive vet bill arose? Broken leg,
> etc?
>
> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)

I am afraid that I am going to give you similar advice too.No one is
trying to be horrible here.I think it is more a case of being
forthright & truthful.

I have been where you are now, & learnt the hard way that cheap fixes
don't work!You end up wasteing a whole lot of money that could have
gone a long way treating them with a treatment that does work.

I do understand your dilema.

Put up with the problem an extra week if you have to.....
But far better, try and cut something else out this week & put it
towards your cat's treatment, & go the whole hog & get them
frontlined.You will feel so much better knowing that you have sorted
the problem, & you will be able to cuddle your cat with the knowlege
that you put them first too.

I don't know where you are from, but in the Uk , you have the right to
ask for a prescription then go and buy it off the internet, rather
than from your vet direct,who will charge slightly more for stocking
it for you.
This saves a bit of money, That can add up to quite a bit with a multi
cat household, over time.
Just imagine how uncomfortable your poor cat's are feeling:o(
Please, do your best for them?
S;o)

hantayo
January 11th 07, 12:50 AM
Maybe this list of places online can help. The cheapest was (at one time...)
the Pet Shed. And BTW I can't help but believe that Advantage had something
to do with my Toma girl's kidney disease - just an idea....
Kathy & Toma girl ( in spirit...)>^.,.^<

http://www.petshed.com/

http://www.1800petmeds.com/

http://www.DrsFosterSmith.com

http://www.petcarerx.com/

http://www.pets-megastore.com.au/

http://www.Fleameds.com

http://www.PetMedStore.com/

Toma girl's dedication web page:
http://showcase.netins.net/web/motherearthfathersky/toma8k.html
"All that moves is sacred - only by understanding this can you realize the
rhythm of the earth - thereby know how to place your feet...
http://showcase.netins.net/web/motherearthfathersky/

"EADGBE" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
> problem has gotten completely out of hand.
>
> We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
> treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.
>
> My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
> like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
> should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?
>
> PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

Rhonda
January 11th 07, 02:02 AM
Bryan,

I've seen lots of people say this, but cats live (hopefully) 20 years or
so. People's circumstances change from time to time. If finances change,
should the animals be given away immediately?

Very few people can predict their circumstances for the next 20 years so
by the reasoning below, maybe no one should rescue an animal.

Rhonda

Bryan S. wrote:
> Pet ownership isn't a fundamental right.. it's a luxury and a
> responsibility. If proper care cannot be provided, the animal shouldn't
> have been obtained in the first place. (Sorry to be so blunt, but it's
> absolutely true.) Suppose an expensive vet bill arose? Broken leg,
> etc?

EADGBE
January 11th 07, 03:41 AM
RHONDA, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TRYING TO BE UNDERSTANDING.

That is something that the two "blunt" people should have tried before
passing judgement on me!

I am NOT a cheapskate and I am NOT the kind of person who tries to take
the easy way out when it comes to caring for our pets.

I didn't want to go into this--because I didn't think I would *have*
to--but the reason that our funds are tight right now is because I lost
my job a few months back. We used to be a two-income household, and now
we are down to one income, and money is really tight right now.

It didn't used to be that way, and it won't always be that way, but
it's that way RIGHT NOW.

And THAT is why the lack of money was mentioned in my original post.

Hope this satisfies the blunt people, but if it doesn't...I honestly
don't give a damn.

Rhonda wrote:
> People's circumstances change from time to time. If finances change,
> should the animals be given away immediately?
>
> Very few people can predict their circumstances for the next 20 years so
> by the reasoning below, maybe no one should rescue an animal.
>
> Rhonda

January 12th 07, 02:33 AM
Right. Your vet is basically selling at a little above the on-line
cost. One treatment for $10 is $60 for a sixpack - and the online cost
is $40-$45 or so for six vials. If your vet's throwing in 4 more vials
gratis - then that's a nice perk - but one probably not obtainable from
a cheaper vet ...

-T

cindys wrote:
> wrote:
> > If you've got fleas in the house, buy a container of "Fleabusters"
> > powder. You need to get them out of the carpets or flooring in your
> > home. A jar of powder costs about 22.95. There's not much you can do
> > about about the cost of Frontline/Advantage/Revolution. The cheaper
> > products are not just ineffective - they can really be harmful. If you
> > buy online at drsfostersmith.com - you can get a Frontline sixpack for
> > about $45 plus shipping.
> --------------
> My vet (who is expensive) charges around $10 per treatment for
> Revolution. It seems to me that EADGBE is not going to save a whole lot
> of money by ordering on-line. That having been said, I understand I am
> not taking into account the cost of the veterinary visit. A few months
> ago, we brought in a foster cat who turned out to have fleas (I had
> been assured that the cat did not have fleas and foolishly neglected to
> check myself). My veterinarian was willing to examine just the one cat
> while providing me with enough Revolution to treat my other four cats
> myself at home. So, that may be a possibility...
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Bryan S.
January 12th 07, 03:12 AM
[Rhonda )]
[Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:02:02 GMT]

> Bryan S. wrote:
> > Pet ownership isn't a fundamental right.. it's a luxury and a
> > responsibility. If proper care cannot be provided, the animal shouldn't
> > have been obtained in the first place. (Sorry to be so blunt, but it's
> > absolutely true.) Suppose an expensive vet bill arose? Broken leg,
> > etc?

> Bryan,
>
> I've seen lots of people say this, but cats live (hopefully) 20 years or
> so. People's circumstances change from time to time. If finances change,
> should the animals be given away immediately?
>
> Very few people can predict their circumstances for the next 20 years so
> by the reasoning below, maybe no one should rescue an animal.
>
> Rhonda

My point remains about Frontline... it's just plain not that expensive.
If you can afford to eat more than Ramen Noodles, you can afford
Frontline... it's just a matter of prioritizing. Our pets have always
been part of the family, regarded almost as children... and as such
they've always been included in any financial prioritizing.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

Bryan S.
January 12th 07, 03:15 AM
[EADGBE )]
[10 Jan 2007 18:41:41 -0800]

> RHONDA, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TRYING TO BE UNDERSTANDING.
>
> That is something that the two "blunt" people should have tried before
> passing judgement on me!
>
> I am NOT a cheapskate and I am NOT the kind of person who tries to take
> the easy way out when it comes to caring for our pets.

I'm sorry, but my point stands. Proper care costs money. If proper
care is a priority, then it will be taken care of... if it's not, it
won't. Clearly, given your flea situation, Frontline seems to be the
definition of proper care in this case.

I write none of this with callous disregard for your situation or any
particular satisfaction in doing so, either... it's simply the truth.
The first concern, after all, is for the animals.. right? The first
concern isn't for your bruised ego at being told that you may have to
make a sacrifice or two to acquire proper care for animals in your care.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

Bryan S.
January 12th 07, 03:17 AM
)]
[11 Jan 2007 17:33:43 -0800]

> Right. Your vet is basically selling at a little above the on-line
> cost. One treatment for $10 is $60 for a sixpack - and the online cost
> is $40-$45 or so for six vials. If your vet's throwing in 4 more vials
> gratis - then that's a nice perk - but one probably not obtainable from
> a cheaper vet ...

I might go so far as to explain my situation to my veterinarian, and see
if he/she might be willing to cut me a break on the Frontline.

My vet back home would, in a heartbeat.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

cindys
January 12th 07, 03:21 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Right. Your vet is basically selling at a little above the on-line
> cost. One treatment for $10 is $60 for a sixpack - and the online cost
> is $40-$45 or so for six vials. If your vet's throwing in 4 more vials
> gratis - then that's a nice perk - but one probably not obtainable from
> a cheaper vet ...
----------
No, no....I paid for every vial. What I meant was that the vet could have
insisted that she personally examine all five cats before selling me the
Revolution and that would have meant five office visits. As it was, I paid
for one office visit, which was $40 (for the foster cat since she had never
seen him before), and she just sold me the Revolution for the other cats,
sight unseen, although obviously since the others were her regular patients,
she had seen them at other times in the past.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

> cindys wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > If you've got fleas in the house, buy a container of "Fleabusters"
>> > powder. You need to get them out of the carpets or flooring in your
>> > home. A jar of powder costs about 22.95. There's not much you can do
>> > about about the cost of Frontline/Advantage/Revolution. The cheaper
>> > products are not just ineffective - they can really be harmful. If you
>> > buy online at drsfostersmith.com - you can get a Frontline sixpack for
>> > about $45 plus shipping.
>> --------------
>> My vet (who is expensive) charges around $10 per treatment for
>> Revolution. It seems to me that EADGBE is not going to save a whole lot
>> of money by ordering on-line. That having been said, I understand I am
>> not taking into account the cost of the veterinary visit. A few months
>> ago, we brought in a foster cat who turned out to have fleas (I had
>> been assured that the cat did not have fleas and foolishly neglected to
>> check myself). My veterinarian was willing to examine just the one cat
>> while providing me with enough Revolution to treat my other four cats
>> myself at home. So, that may be a possibility...
>> Best regards,
>> ---Cindy S.

Rhonda
January 12th 07, 05:39 AM
Bryan S. wrote:
> [Rhonda )]
> [Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:02:02 GMT]
>

>>Bryan S. wrote:
>>
>>>Pet ownership isn't a fundamental right.. it's a luxury and a
>>>responsibility. If proper care cannot be provided, the animal shouldn't
>>>have been obtained in the first place. (Sorry to be so blunt, but it's
>>>absolutely true.) Suppose an expensive vet bill arose? Broken leg,
>>>etc?
>
>>Bryan,
>>
>>I've seen lots of people say this, but cats live (hopefully) 20 years or
>>so. People's circumstances change from time to time. If finances change,
>>should the animals be given away immediately?
>>
>>Very few people can predict their circumstances for the next 20 years so
>>by the reasoning below, maybe no one should rescue an animal.
>>
>>Rhonda
>
> My point remains about Frontline... it's just plain not that expensive.
> If you can afford to eat more than Ramen Noodles, you can afford
> Frontline... it's just a matter of prioritizing. Our pets have always
> been part of the family, regarded almost as children... and as such
> they've always been included in any financial prioritizing.

Brian,

I thought what you were saying is that if you did not use the particular
kinds of flea spray that you recommend, but instead chose a less
expensive one -- then that is not "proper" care of your cat and you
should not have a cat in the first place.

You said if they cannot get the flea spray, how could they treat a
broken leg?

I have to think that this poster would find a way. In my opinion, if
they chose a cheaper flea spray -- so be it, that's part of
prioritizing. At least they're getting a flea spray. If the cat has
worse medical problems, I think that cat will be in the vet's office and
that will be the time to move things up to the top of the priority list.

Rhonda

sheelagh
January 12th 07, 02:06 PM
Bryan S. wrote:
> [Rhonda )]
> [Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:02:02 GMT]
>
> > Bryan S. wrote:
> > > Pet ownership isn't a fundamental right.. it's a luxury and a
> > > responsibility. If proper care cannot be provided, the animal shouldn't
> > > have been obtained in the first place. (Sorry to be so blunt, but it's
> > > absolutely true.) Suppose an expensive vet bill arose? Broken leg,
> > > etc?
>
> > Bryan,
> >
> > I've seen lots of people say this, but cats live (hopefully) 20 years or
> > so. People's circumstances change from time to time. If finances change,
> > should the animals be given away immediately?
> >
> > Very few people can predict their circumstances for the next 20 years so
> > by the reasoning below, maybe no one should rescue an animal.
> >
> > Rhonda
>
> My point remains about Frontline... it's just plain not that expensive.
> If you can afford to eat more than Ramen Noodles, you can afford
> Frontline... it's just a matter of prioritizing. Our pets have always
> been part of the family, regarded almost as children... and as such
> they've always been included in any financial prioritizing.
>
> --
> Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...
>
> ...under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
> Shorthair)

Both of you have pointed out two things that I relate to here.

Please understand that I wasn't trying to victimise you, or make you
feel a bad person, despite what you think...

I couldn't relate more to your circumstances if I tried.
My partner broke his back a little while back, so we have moved from a
two salaried household, to a benefits income household.I could never
have seen that one coming, but It did happen!!

I can assure you that we get very little money, & we have 5 kids & had
5cat's before this happened, but I never once considered getting rid of
my cat's;in fact I have taken on another 2 in the past 6weeks because
they needed a home "desperately".

I gave up smoking, going out @ the weekends, I buy our clothes from
charity shops, & we eat cheaper brands of food too.
It is hard, & I never asked for this to happen to us either.

As Rhonda pointed out, should we get rid of our precious cat's &
kitty's?
Well the answer to that one has to be No Way!

I am no brave courageus person, but then again, I couldn't bare the
thought of getting rid of my cat's so something had to give....
Stopping smoking nearly drove me round the bend, wearing other people's
clothe's get's up my nose, & I miss my social life as well.
I even tried buying the cheaper flea products, but it didn't last long
because the moggies started scratching themselve's silly, & it's also
worth pointing out that frontline costs nearly double what you pay in
the state's by reading other peoples posting's.

The simple truth is I am right down there with you in the same boat
too...
I know exactly what you are telling us, I have done the same things and
made the same mistakes as well.I was talking by experience & telling
you that from my experience that it wasn't worth making the same
mistake twice & that the best thing that you could do was to save a bit
longer for the slightly more expensive one, becuase at least it
works..that was all, nothing else...
Good Luck
S:o)

Randy
January 12th 07, 02:45 PM
"EADGBE" > wrote:
>We have five cats. Because of this unusually warm winter, our flea
>problem has gotten completely out of hand.
>
>We are not millionaires, and we can't afford the prescription flea
>treatments like Frontline or Evolution even though we know they work.
>
>My question is this: Do ANY of the cheaper non-prescription treatments
>like Zodiac, Sentry, etc. work at all? Are they worth the savings? Or
>should we just save our pennies and get the prescription stuff?
>
>PLEASE HELP! We're scratching almost as much as our cats are!

We use advantage on our 5 cats and it is very effective. We buy the large dog
size and divide it up into 5 doses. The large dog size is the exact same
formula just a larger qty (5 cat doses) in each vile. I pay $10 for one tube.

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

http://kittenwar.com/kittens/74045/

EADGBE
January 12th 07, 11:52 PM
Bryan S. wrote:

> I'm sorry, but my point stands. Proper care costs money. If proper
> care is a priority, then it will be taken care of... if it's not, it
> won't. Clearly, given your flea situation, Frontline seems to be the
> definition of proper care in this case.

It's good to know that your world is so orderly, with its convenient,
well-established rules of "either/or".

But I live in the *real* world, NOT in your world, and wanting to care
for beloved family pets during a period of UNFORESEEN financial
hardship carries with it a number of uncertainty, variables, and
questions, as we try to maintain the level of care our pets have always
had up until now.

In the rush to satisfy this callous need to flaunt your superiority you
have ignored one crucial fact: THE FACT THAT I MADE THE POST IN THE
FIRST PLACE. If "proper care" weren't a "priority" with me the way you
seem to believe, then I would have never come to this community for
help. That fact alone makes me wholly undeserving of the smug disdain
you took great pains to show toward me.

If you start spending more time looking at facts and less time looking
down your nose, then maybe, just maybe, you might make a CONSTRUCTIVE
or--dare I say it--HELPFUL post for a change, instead of barging in
with some high-handed attitude and spouting lectures designed to do
nothing but try to elevate yourself over and above anyone whose care of
animals you deem inferior to your own self-aggrandizing standards. But
I'm not holding my breath for that.

> I write none of this with callous disregard for your situation or any
> particular satisfaction in doing so, either... it's simply the truth.
> The first concern, after all, is for the animals.. right? The first
> concern isn't for your bruised ego at being told that you may have to
> make a sacrifice or two to acquire proper care for animals in your care.

Quite right. The first concern *IS* for the animals. So therefore, the
question begs: WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE A POST THAT COULD HAVE ACTUALLY
HELPED ME IN MY DESIRE TO CARE FOR MY ANIMALS? Why not follow your own
rhetoric?

When you chose to respond to my original post, you didn't offer a
single option or suggestion that I could have used. There was NOTHING
in your response but a blast of attitude. NOTHING that could have
specifically helped my cats. No suggestions, no additional information
on medicines or pricing, not even encouragement. NOTHING but attitude.
With self-absorbed "caregivers" like you around, my cats are certainly
in trouble, aren't they?

Instead of making a post that could have informed me (and others in my
same predicament), you chose the low road and simply took the
opportunity to patronize me with a lecture on "properly prioritized pet
ownership" so you could show everyone what a superior pet owner you
are. If anyone's ego has been displayed in this discussion, it's been
YOURS, not mine. You want animals do be properly cared for? Then get
off your high horse and actually HELP people care for them and leave
the lectures at home.

I have spent WAY too much time on you. I'm out of here. Good riddance.

Bryan S.
January 13th 07, 07:36 AM
[EADGBE )]
[12 Jan 2007 14:52:21 -0800]

> > I write none of this with callous disregard for your situation or any
> > particular satisfaction in doing so, either... it's simply the truth.
> > The first concern, after all, is for the animals.. right? The first
> > concern isn't for your bruised ego at being told that you may have to
> > make a sacrifice or two to acquire proper care for animals in your care.
>
> Quite right. The first concern *IS* for the animals. So therefore, the
> question begs: WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE A POST THAT COULD HAVE ACTUALLY
> HELPED ME IN MY DESIRE TO CARE FOR MY ANIMALS? Why not follow your own
> rhetoric?

First of all, I did... as it seemed you were much in need of a reality
check. Rather than offer the subtly-hinted-for handout, I offered
advice. The maintenance of your ego is not my responsibility.

Secondly, I did in fact suggest informing your veterinarian of your
situation and asking if some arrangement might be reached.

I wish nothing but the best for your cats, but it seems that their owner
is more concerned about her tender feelings than about actively seeking
a pro-active solution to their problem. Throwing your hands into the
air, declaring that you're helpless, and then seeking validation for a
solution which you already know to be untenable is not an honest attempt
an effort to fix your current dilemma.

--
Bryan, Stacy, Alyssandra & James...

....under the watchful eyes of Her Majesty, Trouble (grey American
Shorthair)

Catcetera
January 15th 07, 05:18 PM
Dear Scratching,
Fleas have always been an issue in this house for ages. A while back
(about 15 years ago) I know what it felt like to have my animals and no
longer be able to afford to give them everything they deserved when I
went from a good paying job to social security disablilty for 5 years
through no fault of my own. Although my mom and stepdad took a couple
of my cats they could not afford to help me out any more than that. I
and my boys and our pet family got by the best we could until I was
healthy enough to go back to work. Some things I tried during that time
were 20 mule team borox on carpets and vacuumed (I heard it wasn't bad
for the pets but please check that out for yourselves-the animals that
haven't died from old age illnesses are still with me), flea dips (not
the kitties favorite event), and flea shampoos, flea collars (if anyone
on here knows if they are effective, please let me know cuz they never
seemed effective to me) and the flea bombs that I could sometimes find
at $1 stores. They got their shots when ever a clinic was in the area.
How effective that all was is questionable(effectiveness was rather
shortlived but somewhat effective) but all I could afford at the time.
I now use Frontline two times a year usually, and still do the 20
Muleteam borox a couple times a year (whether it actually helps or not
I really do not know-but guess it is a habit now and seems to pick up
odors too so I do not have anything to lose by continuing it).
Occassionally I may have to treat everyone three times a year when
there is very warm weather or a new cat-that may be this year seeing we
really haven't had a winter up here cept for the last two days. At the
moment I have 6 cats and 2 dogs, my one cat, Patches recently passed
away from her second battle with mammary cancer. Good luck in finding
solutions that work for your little sweeties and in finding
reemployment.
Dawn =^..^=