PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal filter on Drinkwell fountain

Mike S.
January 10th 07, 07:11 AM
What is the purpose of the charcoal filter on the Drinkwell pet
fountain? Is it to filter out gunk like cat hair, bugs, and snot or is
it to filter out mineral deposits? Also, my new fountain is leaving a
black residue in the bowl which is from the filter. The Drinkwell
website says this is harmless but I was wondering if that's really
true? It seems like it might not be a good idea for cats to ingest that
charcoal stuff, especially if they're ill.

January 10th 07, 08:33 AM
In article . com>,
"Mike S." > wrote:

> What is the purpose of the charcoal filter on the Drinkwell pet
> fountain? Is it to filter out gunk like cat hair, bugs, and snot or is
> it to filter out mineral deposits? Also, my new fountain is leaving a
> black residue in the bowl which is from the filter. The Drinkwell
> website says this is harmless but I was wondering if that's really
> true? It seems like it might not be a good idea for cats to ingest that
> charcoal stuff, especially if they're ill.

It's fine. If you don't like it, take out the filter and run the machine
without it. We do. It just means more frequent cleaning.

dgk
January 10th 07, 04:01 PM
On 9 Jan 2007 23:11:42 -0800, "Mike S." >
wrote:

>What is the purpose of the charcoal filter on the Drinkwell pet
>fountain? Is it to filter out gunk like cat hair, bugs, and snot or is
>it to filter out mineral deposits? Also, my new fountain is leaving a
>black residue in the bowl which is from the filter. The Drinkwell
>website says this is harmless but I was wondering if that's really
>true? It seems like it might not be a good idea for cats to ingest that
>charcoal stuff, especially if they're ill.

I have the other brand of fountain (I can never remember the name) but
I always rinse out the filter before using it. Maybe that helps remove
the loose charcoal.

The fountain is located by the litterbox so sometimes the cats manage
to drag some litter into the fountain. I keep a turkey baster nearby
and just suck up anything that isn't water.

mlbriggs
January 11th 07, 06:21 AM
On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 23:11:42 -0800, Mike S. wrote:

> What is the purpose of the charcoal filter on the Drinkwell pet
> fountain? Is it to filter out gunk like cat hair, bugs, and snot or is
> it to filter out mineral deposits? Also, my new fountain is leaving a
> black residue in the bowl which is from the filter. The Drinkwell
> website says this is harmless but I was wondering if that's really
> true? It seems like it might not be a good idea for cats to ingest that
> charcoal stuff, especially if they're ill.

IF I remember correctly, the directions say to hold the new filter under
running water for a couple of minutes to remove the charcoal dus

charcoal filters are also used in drinking water filters to remove some
impurities. I use the filters during Spring and Fall runoff.

Rhonda
January 11th 07, 07:52 AM
mlbriggs wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 23:11:42 -0800, Mike S. wrote:
>

>>What is the purpose of the charcoal filter on the Drinkwell pet
>>fountain? Is it to filter out gunk like cat hair, bugs, and snot or is
>>it to filter out mineral deposits? Also, my new fountain is leaving a
>>black residue in the bowl which is from the filter. The Drinkwell
>>website says this is harmless but I was wondering if that's really
>>true? It seems like it might not be a good idea for cats to ingest that
>>charcoal stuff, especially if they're ill.
>
> IF I remember correctly, the directions say to hold the new filter under
> running water for a couple of minutes to remove the charcoal dus
>
> charcoal filters are also used in drinking water filters to remove some
> impurities. I use the filters during Spring and Fall runoff.

Yes -- the Britta water pitchers for people have a charcoal filter to
clean the water.

Rhonda

dgk
January 11th 07, 04:53 PM
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 07:52:34 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>mlbriggs wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 23:11:42 -0800, Mike S. wrote:
>>

>>>What is the purpose of the charcoal filter on the Drinkwell pet
>>>fountain? Is it to filter out gunk like cat hair, bugs, and snot or is
>>>it to filter out mineral deposits? Also, my new fountain is leaving a
>>>black residue in the bowl which is from the filter. The Drinkwell
>>>website says this is harmless but I was wondering if that's really
>>>true? It seems like it might not be a good idea for cats to ingest that
>>>charcoal stuff, especially if they're ill.
>>
>> IF I remember correctly, the directions say to hold the new filter under
>> running water for a couple of minutes to remove the charcoal dus
>>
>> charcoal filters are also used in drinking water filters to remove some
>> impurities. I use the filters during Spring and Fall runoff.
>
>Yes -- the Britta water pitchers for people have a charcoal filter to
>clean the water.

And as I recall you're supposed to let the soak for a while, and then
discard the first batch of water.

January 11th 07, 05:36 PM
In article >,
dgk > wrote:

re: Britta's charcoal filters

> as I recall you're supposed to let the soak for a while, and then
> discard the first batch of water.

That instruction is about aesthetics, not toxins.

dgk
January 11th 07, 06:10 PM
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:36:07 -0600, wrote:

>In article >,
> dgk > wrote:
>
>re: Britta's charcoal filters
>
>> as I recall you're supposed to let the soak for a while, and then
>> discard the first batch of water.
>
>That instruction is about aesthetics, not toxins.

Well, yes, that's true. We don't know that drinking charcoal is bad
for you. It's good for cooking with. But the original OP was asking
about the charcoal appearing in the water. I think it just happens
with all of those types of filters until they've been used a few
times.

January 11th 07, 06:18 PM
In article >,
dgk > wrote:

> We don't know that drinking charcoal is bad for you.

Um. When a young child eats something particularly inappropriate, and
the parents rush him to the nearest ER, the doctors there will
sometimes administer a nasty charcoal liquid by mouth that, uh,
"purges" the kid's system of whatever it was he ate.

Guess how I know this... (hint: I have NEVER worked in any medical
field :-)

January 11th 07, 06:24 PM
In article >,
dgk > wrote:

> I think it just happens with all of those types of filters until
> they've been used a few times.

Agreed.

IIRC, the OP was concerned that it might affect his cat(s) in some
adverse way. My point was to reassure him that the small particles from
the Drinkwell filters are not even sufficient to cause stomach distress,
much less present any danger, to a cat.

Randy
January 11th 07, 08:37 PM
"Mike S." > wrote:
>What is the purpose of the charcoal filter on the Drinkwell pet
>fountain? Is it to filter out gunk like cat hair, bugs, and snot or is
>it to filter out mineral deposits? Also, my new fountain is leaving a
>black residue in the bowl which is from the filter. The Drinkwell
>website says this is harmless but I was wondering if that's really
>true? It seems like it might not be a good idea for cats to ingest that
>charcoal stuff, especially if they're ill.

You can buy charcoal tablets that help relieve gas. It is not harmful.

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

http://kittenwar.com/kittens/74045/

dgk
January 12th 07, 02:38 PM
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:37:32 -0500, Randy > wrote:

>"Mike S." > wrote:
>>What is the purpose of the charcoal filter on the Drinkwell pet
>>fountain? Is it to filter out gunk like cat hair, bugs, and snot or is
>>it to filter out mineral deposits? Also, my new fountain is leaving a
>>black residue in the bowl which is from the filter. The Drinkwell
>>website says this is harmless but I was wondering if that's really
>>true? It seems like it might not be a good idea for cats to ingest that
>>charcoal stuff, especially if they're ill.
>
>You can buy charcoal tablets that help relieve gas. It is not harmful.
>
>Randy

Some of my cat's poops smell awful. Perhaps I should get some charcoal
tabs.