PDA

View Full Version : KitKat's Visitor

January 13th 07, 10:03 PM
There is a neighborhood cat (we call him/her Orange cat) that comes to
visit KitKat who is an indoor cat. Orange cat sits on the window ledge
and just sits there. It drives KitKat crazy..he meows and puffs out
his tail and gets all upset. Then spends the whole night running to
all the windows making sure Orange cat isn't there. Last weekend -
KitKat was hurling himself into the big picture window to get at Orange
cat who was sitting on the other side. I am afraid that KitKat is
going to hurt himself and concerned that we won't be able to open the
windows in the summer because KitKat might jump through the screen at
this guy. Any suggestions on how I can keep Orange cat away from my
house?

Thanks

Danielle

Phil P.
January 14th 07, 11:47 AM
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> There is a neighborhood cat (we call him/her Orange cat) that comes to
> visit KitKat who is an indoor cat. Orange cat sits on the window ledge
> and just sits there. It drives KitKat crazy..he meows and puffs out
> his tail and gets all upset. Then spends the whole night running to
> all the windows making sure Orange cat isn't there. Last weekend -
> KitKat was hurling himself into the big picture window to get at Orange
> cat who was sitting on the other side. I am afraid that KitKat is
> going to hurt himself and concerned that we won't be able to open the
> windows in the summer because KitKat might jump through the screen at
> this guy. Any suggestions on how I can keep Orange cat away from my
> house?

First, I want to advise you not to touch your cat or try to comfort him
while he's aroused by the Orange cat outside- your cat could attack you in
what's known as "redirected aggression". Here's a brief description of
redirected aggression (a/k/a misdirected aggression).
http://maxshouse.com/problems_of_aggression.htm#REDIRECTED%20AGGRESSION

You could try putting clear plastic strips of carpet runner, nub side up, or
a long planter on your windowsill to keep the cat away from the window.
However, this won't prevent your cat from seeing the other cat if he's in
your yard which could still arouse him. You could also try temporarily
blocking the bottom half of your window with cardboard so the cats can't see
each other. Or you could try covering the window with reflective mylar
that's used on windows for privacy and doesn't block light or vision (from
the inside). If the orange cat can't see your cat for a few days, he might
lose interest.

Have you tried to find the owner?

Phil

January 14th 07, 04:35 PM
I actually believe that he lives in the house a couple down from us. I
believe that I have seen a cat just like him in their big picture
window. Should I go over and say - keep your cat out of our yard? I
can't see how that would work.

On Jan 14, 12:08 am, Cheryl > wrote:
> On Sat 13 Jan 2007 04:03:52p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> ps.com>:
>

> > There is a neighborhood cat (we call him/her Orange cat) that
> > comes to visit KitKat who is an indoor cat. Orange cat sits on
> > the window ledge and just sits there. It drives KitKat
> > crazy..he meows and puffs out his tail and gets all upset. Then
> > spends the whole night running to all the windows making sure
> > Orange cat isn't there. Last weekend - KitKat was hurling
> > himself into the big picture window to get at Orange cat who was
> > sitting on the other side. I am afraid that KitKat is going to
> > hurt himself and concerned that we won't be able to open the
> > windows in the summer because KitKat might jump through the
> > screen at this guy. Any suggestions on how I can keep Orange
> > cat away from my house?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > DanielleA couple of years ago I had the same situation. The outside cat
> turned out to be a stray. Actually, there were more than one. I set
> my trap to capture them and take them to get them fixed, and my
> plan was to release them. Before all that, though, and even after,
> my screens were shredded by one of the cats that really wanted
> *IN*. I had my hands full, so after he and another male were
> neutered (I had also trapped a young female that I kept, and she is
> with me still, my Bonnie) I hung up flyers at work and found a home
> for both males with a guy who wanted to adopt a pair.
>
> I'd try to find out if the orange boy has a home, and if not, try
> to find him one. People love orange boys, so if you just hang up a
> few flyers in high profile places, I'd bet you'll get some
> interest.
>
> --
> Cheryl

January 14th 07, 05:23 PM
wrote:
> There is a neighborhood cat (we call him/her Orange cat) that comes to
> visit KitKat who is an indoor cat. Orange cat sits on the window ledge
> and just sits there. It drives KitKat crazy..he meows and puffs out
> his tail and gets all upset. Then spends the whole night running to
> all the windows making sure Orange cat isn't there. Last weekend -
> KitKat was hurling himself into the big picture window to get at Orange
> cat who was sitting on the other side. I am afraid that KitKat is
> going to hurt himself and concerned that we won't be able to open the
> windows in the summer because KitKat might jump through the screen at
> this guy. Any suggestions on how I can keep Orange cat away from my
> house?
>
> Thanks
>
> Danielle

What is it about big orange males? When I was a kid, our neighbor's
big, benign, orange cat used to do this too. Never got ruffled, just
lay on the sill of the picture window, while our scrappy little tabby
female went bonkers hissing and yowling at him. If they was human I
could imagine him yawning and buffing his nails, while she pitched a
literal hissy fit.

January 15th 07, 01:58 AM
Where you ever able to do anything about it?

On Jan 14, 11:23 am, "
> wrote:

> > DanielleWhat is it about big orange males? When I was a kid, our neighbor's
> big, benign, orange cat used to do this too. Never got ruffled, just
> lay on the sill of the picture window, while our scrappy little tabby
> female went bonkers hissing and yowling at him. If they was human I
> could imagine him yawning and buffing his nails, while she pitched a
> literal hissy fit.

January 15th 07, 09:52 PM
We didn't do much more than shut the drapes, if it got too loud. If it
was summertime, sometimes we'd give him a gentle nudge off the sill
with the broom, but he didn't "nudge" easily (biggest, fattest cat in
the neighborhood.)

I've heard they don't like the feel of extra-rough sandpaper, or
double-sided tape on their feet. You might try that on the sill, if
you don't think the tape might stick him there permanently. ;-).