PDA

View Full Version : Former feral CHOWS his food

sideshowhaas
January 13th 07, 09:08 PM
My friend brought a feral kitten into his home. The kitten is now about
6 months old and is VERY friendly, loves to be pet, scratched,
belly-rubbed, plays fetch, etc. He purrs like crazy when about to be
fed. This little kitten will inhale a can of moist food in under 5
minutes. His owner says the cat will eat everything given if the is
food left out. Do you think this is just a left-over behavior from
living outside for the first 4 months of its life?

Gail
January 13th 07, 09:34 PM
Yes, that and the fact that the kitten is growing and needs a lot of
nutrients. I think your friend should feed him canned food twice daily and
leave high quality dry food out for him all the time.
Gail
"sideshowhaas" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> My friend brought a feral kitten into his home. The kitten is now about
> 6 months old and is VERY friendly, loves to be pet, scratched,
> belly-rubbed, plays fetch, etc. He purrs like crazy when about to be
> fed. This little kitten will inhale a can of moist food in under 5
> minutes. His owner says the cat will eat everything given if the is
> food left out. Do you think this is just a left-over behavior from
> living outside for the first 4 months of its life?

Rhonda
January 14th 07, 06:29 PM
sideshowhaas wrote:
> My friend brought a feral kitten into his home. The kitten is now about
> 6 months old and is VERY friendly, loves to be pet, scratched,
> belly-rubbed, plays fetch, etc. He purrs like crazy when about to be
> fed. This little kitten will inhale a can of moist food in under 5
> minutes. His owner says the cat will eat everything given if the is
> food left out. Do you think this is just a left-over behavior from
> living outside for the first 4 months of its life?

Yes, I'm sure it is. Cats that have been hungry for so long don't forget
that easily.

That's great that your friend took in this kitty.

Rhonda

mlbriggs
January 15th 07, 06:21 AM
On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:08:51 -0800, sideshowhaas wrote:

> My friend brought a feral kitten into his home. The kitten is now about
> 6 months old and is VERY friendly, loves to be pet, scratched,
> belly-rubbed, plays fetch, etc. He purrs like crazy when about to be
> fed. This little kitten will inhale a can of moist food in under 5
> minutes. His owner says the cat will eat everything given if the is
> food left out. Do you think this is just a left-over behavior from
> living outside for the first 4 months of its life?

Yes! This was the way my cat was. She was found wandering and starved.
When she started eating, it was like Scarlet O'Hara "I swear I'll never go
hungry again!" She is now a very fat cat. It would probably help if she
could get lots of exercise, but she is not interested.

pah41071@yahoo.com
January 15th 07, 07:05 AM
sideshowhaas wrote:

> My friend brought a feral kitten into his home. The kitten is now about
> 6 months old and is VERY friendly, loves to be pet, scratched,
> belly-rubbed, plays fetch, etc. He purrs like crazy when about to be
> fed. This little kitten will inhale a can of moist food in under 5
> minutes. His owner says the cat will eat everything given if the is
> food left out. Do you think this is just a left-over behavior from
> living outside for the first 4 months of its life?

I think it's his age, and it sounds like he just loves the canned food.
You didn't say how much your friend feeds and how often, so it's hard
to judge.

I have a former stray who till this day will eat anything he can find
around the house. Even though I don't leave food out it is extremely
difficult to maintain his weight, as he will finish everyone else's
bowl at feeding time if I don't watch him. I have a former feral who
never overeats and always leaves leftovers. Both where adults when
acquired. So I don't think overeating is neccessarily a feral thing :-)

Mike S.
January 15th 07, 08:13 AM
wrote:
> sideshowhaas wrote:
>
> > My friend brought a feral kitten into his home. The kitten is now about
> > 6 months old and is VERY friendly, loves to be pet, scratched,
> > belly-rubbed, plays fetch, etc. He purrs like crazy when about to be
> > fed. This little kitten will inhale a can of moist food in under 5
> > minutes. His owner says the cat will eat everything given if the is
> > food left out. Do you think this is just a left-over behavior from
> > living outside for the first 4 months of its life?
>
> I think it's his age, and it sounds like he just loves the canned food.
> You didn't say how much your friend feeds and how often, so it's hard
> to judge.
>
> I have a former stray who till this day will eat anything he can find
> around the house. Even though I don't leave food out it is extremely
> difficult to maintain his weight, as he will finish everyone else's
> bowl at feeding time if I don't watch him. I have a former feral who
> never overeats and always leaves leftovers. Both where adults when
> acquired. So I don't think overeating is neccessarily a feral thing :-)

I often wonder why some cats are overeaters. Is it because they're
bored (inside only cats) or because they have a medical condition
(thyroid disorder) or none of the above? I have two cats that are
always begging for food. They gain weight easily and the vet had me cut
back on their food. They now get seven small meals a day which they
gobble up in no time. What really annoys me is that they always want to
eat. If I get up out of my chair they start meowing and run to their
food bowls hoping that I'll feed them even if it isn't time. They're
always at those bowls waiting. They spend more time there then they do
anywhere else. I just can't understand it.

Lynne
January 15th 07, 08:03 PM
on Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:13:18 GMT, "Mike S." >
wrote:

> I often wonder why some cats are overeaters. Is it because they're
> bored (inside only cats) or because they have a medical condition
> (thyroid disorder) or none of the above? I have two cats that are
> always begging for food. They gain weight easily and the vet had me cut
> back on their food. They now get seven small meals a day which they
> gobble up in no time. What really annoys me is that they always want to
> eat. If I get up out of my chair they start meowing and run to their
> food bowls hoping that I'll feed them even if it isn't time. They're
> always at those bowls waiting. They spend more time there then they do
> anywhere else. I just can't understand it.

In my experience, a cat that has had restricted meals--either with poor
hunting or owner controlled portions--will overeat given the opportunity.
I had 2 cats that were free fed from the time they were kittens. One
never over ate, until the day he died. The other had to go on a special
diet when he developed CRF and for the rest of his life he acted as if he
was starving and would even go for the dog food sometimes (though this
could have been related to the CRF?).

Rudy, my 3 year old, used to be free fed and then I started controlling
his portions when I read that free feeding was bad for cats. Big
mistake, because when I got Levi, my kitten, I could NOT and still cannot
keep Rudy from gorging himself. He's very fat now, and I'm at a loss
about how to get the skinny little kitten to eat more while getting
Mister Fatty to eat less. Once Levi is full grown it may be easier. I
hope.

I recently switched them over to Innova Evo and Rudy seems to eat less at
each meal, but his weight, so far, doesn't reflect that... He looks like
a cow in a cat suit.

--
Lynne