PDA

View Full Version : Neutering a cat with FHV


Lynne
January 14th 07, 06:01 PM
Levi is scheduled to be neutered on Wednesday, but I may post-pone. He's
had an outbreak today (sneezing and coughing and watery eyes) and I want to
wait until he's as healthy as possible. I realize neutering is not a big
deal procedure, but I know that the stress will be hard on his little body.
OTOH, he's probably going to have an outbreak with the surgery anyway, so
should I go forward?

Also, should Levi be put on a full course of antibiotics after the surgery
as a prophylactic? He hasn't been on them in quite a few months, so he's
not at risk of over doing with them.

I'm currently on a vet-go-round. I thought I had found a new vet, but he
turned out to be a complete turd. His facility is so disorganized and
dirty that there is no way I would allow a pet of mine to have surgery
there. Right now I'm back to using my old vet, who is no help whatsoever
with these questions, but he did do a good job with Rudy's neutering.

--
Lynne

sheelagh
January 15th 07, 01:41 PM
Lynne wrote:
> Levi is scheduled to be neutered on Wednesday, but I may post-pone. He's
> had an outbreak today (sneezing and coughing and watery eyes) and I want to
> wait until he's as healthy as possible. I realize neutering is not a big
> deal procedure, but I know that the stress will be hard on his little body.
> OTOH, he's probably going to have an outbreak with the surgery anyway, so
> should I go forward?
>
> Also, should Levi be put on a full course of antibiotics after the surgery
> as a prophylactic? He hasn't been on them in quite a few months, so he's
> not at risk of over doing with them.
>
> I'm currently on a vet-go-round. I thought I had found a new vet, but he
> turned out to be a complete turd. His facility is so disorganized and
> dirty that there is no way I would allow a pet of mine to have surgery
> there. Right now I'm back to using my old vet, who is no help whatsoever
> with these questions, but he did do a good job with Rudy's neutering.
>
> --
> Lynne
I am sorry that I can't answer this question for you, & also that I am
answering to your request with another question too.

Lynne, can you tell me where to look for more information about cats
with F hiv?

I had a very close friend who came to me today asking advice on
adopting a cat who has tested possitive & wanted to know what it would
entail if she decided to go ahead and adopt this cat. I am ashamed to
say that I know very little about this particular subject, so any info
would be a huge help relating to the pro's and con's please if you
don't mind?

Good luck with Levis & I hope that he is feeling a bit better soon:o)
S.

Lynne
January 15th 07, 08:46 PM
on Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:41:28 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> I am sorry that I can't answer this question for you, & also that I am
> answering to your request with another question too.
>
> Lynne, can you tell me where to look for more information about cats
> with F hiv?

FHV (feline herpes virus) and FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus) are two
different things, with FIV being much more serious. I've heard it
compared to HIV. I don't know much at all about FIV, but I'm sure a
Google search as a first pass, would yield a ton of information.

> I had a very close friend who came to me today asking advice on
> adopting a cat who has tested possitive & wanted to know what it would
> entail if she decided to go ahead and adopt this cat. I am ashamed to
> say that I know very little about this particular subject, so any info
> would be a huge help relating to the pro's and con's please if you
> don't mind?

Phil may be able to speak to this. I know I can't! I think I read that
some kittens who test positive may test negative at a later time, but
don't hold me to that. I haven't paid close attention to info on FIV
since none of my cats has had it.

> Good luck with Levis & I hope that he is feeling a bit better soon:o)

Thanks! I love this little baby (who has recently become a total devil).
He's now scheduled for his neuter on January 31. That gives him time to
get through this recent outbreak (which is a Upper Respiratory Infection
with some eye symptoms as well). I arranged to have my mother's vet do
the surgery and I feel very good about him. I'd select him as my
permanent vet, but he's about to retire, unfortunately.

--
Lynne

Cheryl
January 16th 07, 01:17 AM
On Sun 14 Jan 2007 12:01:21p, Lynne wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
m>:

> Levi is scheduled to be neutered on Wednesday, but I may
> post-pone. He's had an outbreak today (sneezing and coughing
> and watery eyes) and I want to wait until he's as healthy as
> possible. I realize neutering is not a big deal procedure, but
> I know that the stress will be hard on his little body. OTOH,
> he's probably going to have an outbreak with the surgery anyway,
> so should I go forward?
>
> Also, should Levi be put on a full course of antibiotics after
> the surgery as a prophylactic? He hasn't been on them in quite
> a few months, so he's not at risk of over doing with them.
>
> I'm currently on a vet-go-round. I thought I had found a new
> vet, but he turned out to be a complete turd. His facility is
> so disorganized and dirty that there is no way I would allow a
> pet of mine to have surgery there. Right now I'm back to using
> my old vet, who is no help whatsoever with these questions, but
> he did do a good job with Rudy's neutering.
>

Lynne, if you feel like you should postpone, go with your gut
feeling about the FHV. My two youngest, Rhett and Scarlett, are
now about 2-1/2 years old now, but when I first adopted them, they
had horrible recurring FHV and passed it back and forth to each
other to the point I thought it would never go away. The guy that
found them found a litter of four and wanted to keep them together
until they were 12 weeks old, but the FHV passing around made him
change his mind, and I got them at 9 weeks. They went through many
different types of medications including eye ointments both with
steroids and without. Depended on how severe, and if there was
something funny when the eyes were fluresced (sp!!).

I intended to have them done at no more than 3 months old, but
their health delayed that. Rhett got over the FHV sooner, and was
neutered at about 4 months, but Scarlett had an appt for the same
day, but hers was delayed another month. She had gotten so thin
because she didn't want to eat, and I had to hand-feed her.
Despite her health, she actually went into heat before she was
spayed at 5 months. It was hard, but I'm glad we waited. She was in
no shape for surgery. She had a hard time recovering as it was,
and had a nasty reaction to her internal sutures.

--
Cheryl

Lynne
January 18th 07, 02:59 AM
on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 01:44:56 GMT, Cheryl >
wrote:

> Lynne, did Levi get the big snip today? Just curious about your
> decision and how he's doing! :)

I rescheduled him to January 31. That gives me more time to worry, hehe.
I rearranged my schedule that week so I don't have to work outside of my
home office for the rest of the week, just in case it's hard on him.

--
Lynne