PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed picking cat to get along with dog

January 14th 07, 05:03 PM
As the doggy favouring half of a quintessential dog person/cat person
relationship, I have given in to my cat loving husband and will be
getting a kitty soon. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for
picking a dog-friendly cat. I could get a kitten, but I would prefer an
adult cat, as they are the ones who need the homes around here. (The
local shelter says they have no problem adopting out kittens,) What
should I look for? What should I look out for?

My dog is a large 2-yr-old lab mix, very gentle and quite shy. He has
been is close contact with cats, and seems scared of them. He has
chased a few when he saw them at a distance, but backed off if they
didn't run away. I am not too worried about the initial fear thing, as
he was the same way in close contact with snowmen, garbage bags,
blowing leaves, babies, shiny dishes, the vacuum, my husband, etc. He
is fine with something as long as he has had a chance to investigate
and get used to it. Vet says this is the difference between a fearful
personality and a cautious one.

I want to try to get a good dog/cat mix. My childhood dog, a 70 lb
collie mix, spent years terrified of my stepmom's tiny tabby cat. He
wouldn't even come in the room if the kitty was there, and the cat,
although otherwise sweet and benign, delighted in chasing him or
sneaking up and clawing his nose. They managed to stake out territory
in a largish house, but in our situation the cat and dog will be in
pretty close contact.

I have friends that have cats and dogs that love each other and others
not. It seems to be the luck of the draw. We'll live with whatever the
cat turns out to be like, but both cat and dog will be happier if they
get along. So, any advice on minimizing potential conflict and on
picking the right cat for our household?

Matthew
January 14th 07, 05:27 PM
Ha us cat people always win ;-)

If you are looking to adopt go to the shelter and ask them if any of
the cats have been in house with a dog. Places like petfinder.com list if
the cat came from a house with another animal and such. Each cat has its
own temperament and are totally opposite of dogs as the old say goes dogs
have masters cats have slaves.

http://www.petfinder.com//index.html

By the way thank you for think about adopting an older cat so many are
forgotten
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> As the doggy favouring half of a quintessential dog person/cat person
> relationship, I have given in to my cat loving husband and will be
> getting a kitty soon. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for
> picking a dog-friendly cat. I could get a kitten, but I would prefer an
> adult cat, as they are the ones who need the homes around here. (The
> local shelter says they have no problem adopting out kittens,) What
> should I look for? What should I look out for?
>
> My dog is a large 2-yr-old lab mix, very gentle and quite shy. He has
> been is close contact with cats, and seems scared of them. He has
> chased a few when he saw them at a distance, but backed off if they
> didn't run away. I am not too worried about the initial fear thing, as
> he was the same way in close contact with snowmen, garbage bags,
> blowing leaves, babies, shiny dishes, the vacuum, my husband, etc. He
> is fine with something as long as he has had a chance to investigate
> and get used to it. Vet says this is the difference between a fearful
> personality and a cautious one.
>
> I want to try to get a good dog/cat mix. My childhood dog, a 70 lb
> collie mix, spent years terrified of my stepmom's tiny tabby cat. He
> wouldn't even come in the room if the kitty was there, and the cat,
> although otherwise sweet and benign, delighted in chasing him or
> sneaking up and clawing his nose. They managed to stake out territory
> in a largish house, but in our situation the cat and dog will be in
> pretty close contact.
>
> I have friends that have cats and dogs that love each other and others
> not. It seems to be the luck of the draw. We'll live with whatever the
> cat turns out to be like, but both cat and dog will be happier if they
> get along. So, any advice on minimizing potential conflict and on
> picking the right cat for our household?

Charlie Wilkes
January 14th 07, 09:36 PM
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 09:03:50 -0800, wrote:

> What
> should I look for? What should I look out for?

I'll bet you could take almost any friendly cat and have a good chance of
success with a dog like you describe. Keep the dog on a leash when you
first introduce them. Don't yell at the dog if he gets all excited by the
presence of the cat; just keep him physically under control and try to let
the two of them get comfortable being in the same room together.

After awhile, you can help them get friendly with each other by giving
them treats at the same time... treats for the dog in the right hand, and
for the cat in the left hand.

Good luck.

Charlie

February 21st 07, 08:49 PM
<snip>
> I'll bet you could take almost any friendly cat and have a good chance of
> success with a dog like you describe.

Would a male or female cat get along better with a male dog? Does it
make a difference? He's quite submissive, so I'm not at all worried
about aggression on the canine front.