PDA

View Full Version : Costs of dental cleanings

Mike S.
January 15th 07, 07:25 AM
I know that the cost of a dental cleaning will vary depending on a
number of things, but I'm trying to figure out what the average is. My
grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
I know the prices are a little high around here but that just sounds
too high

About 3-4 years ago, it cost nearly $400 to have a urolith surgically
removed. I can't figure out why a dental cleaning would cost more than
a surgery especially since the cat wouldn't have to stay overnight. Not
unless their prices have gone way up. I know that one of their blood
tests went up $50 in the course of three years. According to the vet,
that was because the lab they send the blood work to started charging
more.

How much does a dental cleaning cost where you live and what are the
individual costs (anesthesia, x-rays, blood work, etc)?

January 15th 07, 07:55 AM
Mike S. wrote:

> I know that the cost of a dental cleaning will vary depending on a
> number of things, but I'm trying to figure out what the average is. My
> grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
> cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
> I know the prices are a little high around here but that just sounds
> too high

Hi Mike,
sounds too high to me as well. Even here in Europe, which I have found
to be much more expensive than the midwest US where I lived previously,
I only paid $250 for a cleaning. Complicated extractions are charged on
top, at around $60 per tooth. The last dental I paid for in the US in
2005 was $150 at a local small veterinary clinic.
Maybe you should shop around a little.
Petra

Moongal
January 15th 07, 12:49 PM
"Mike S." > wrote in message

> How much does a dental cleaning cost where you live and what are the
> individual costs (anesthesia, x-rays, blood work, etc)?

I've gotten my cats teeth cleaned for about $250. Blood work is just over
$200 and x-rays are about $160. I don't recall what anesthesia is.

Spot
January 15th 07, 02:30 PM
OMG.........This is unreal.

Just last week I had the following done for my dog for $125.00 Two warts
removed, nailes clipped and teeth cleaned. I know that vets have expenses
but this is nuts.

Celeste

"Mike S." > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I know that the cost of a dental cleaning will vary depending on a
> number of things, but I'm trying to figure out what the average is. My
> grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
> cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
> I know the prices are a little high around here but that just sounds
> too high
>
> About 3-4 years ago, it cost nearly $400 to have a urolith surgically
> removed. I can't figure out why a dental cleaning would cost more than
> a surgery especially since the cat wouldn't have to stay overnight. Not
> unless their prices have gone way up. I know that one of their blood
> tests went up $50 in the course of three years. According to the vet,
> that was because the lab they send the blood work to started charging
> more.
>

> How much does a dental cleaning cost where you live and what are the
> individual costs (anesthesia, x-rays, blood work, etc)?

cindys
January 15th 07, 03:12 PM
"Mike S." > wrote in message
ps.com...
>I know that the cost of a dental cleaning will vary depending on a
> number of things, but I'm trying to figure out what the average is. My
> grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
> cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
> I know the prices are a little high around here but that just sounds
> too high

It depends on how bad the cat (or dog's) teeth are. Two years ago, the vet
did a routine cleaning of my dog's teeth for around $125. About six months
later when I brought in one of my cats for a checkup, the vet told me the
teeth were in terrible shape and the cat had bad periodontal disease and
infected gums. (There was a question of how this deterioration could have
happened so quickly since the cat had had a regular cleaning a couple or
years before). The cleaning ended up including a number of extractions and
the final bill was about $450. Now, the vet tells me the 6-year-old calico's
teeth are also in bad shape and that she also has severe periodontal disease
and infected gums. Estimated bill: $600. The foster cat needs a routine
cleaning. He does not have periodontal disease or infected gums. The price
tag on that cleaning will be [only - gasp!] $140. One of my friends told me
it cost her mother nearly $800 for her cat's dental work (not the same
office I use). Apparently, the cat's teeth were in such bad shape that
nearly every tooth had to be extracted. That cat currently has only two or
three teeth. FTR, I have other cats who are in their teens whose teeth are
in relatively good shape without ever having been cleaned. They all eat the
same food too. I think a lot of it is genetic.

> About 3-4 years ago, it cost nearly $400 to have a urolith surgically
> removed. I can't figure out why a dental cleaning would cost more than
> a surgery especially since the cat wouldn't have to stay overnight. Not
> unless their prices have gone way up. I know that one of their blood
> tests went up $50 in the course of three years. According to the vet,
> that was because the lab they send the blood work to started charging
> more.

Shop around. My neighbor used to take her dog to the same vet I use. At one
point her dog needed surgery for a urolith. The estimated cost was $1400.
She phoned a different veterinary office in our neighborhood and had the
procedure done for $600.

> How much does a dental cleaning cost where you live and what are the
> individual costs (anesthesia, x-rays, blood work, etc)?

A complete blood panel in my vet's office costs around $100. I'm can't
recall the prices of the anesthesia or x-rays as individual items. I get an
itemized bill, but I'm usually too busy gagging at the total to pay much
attention to individual items...
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Dr. Woodard
January 15th 07, 07:45 PM
On 14 Jan 2007 22:55:05 -0800, wrote:

> My
>> grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
>> cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
I had my cats teeth cleaned last year. It was about $700.00

Rene S.
January 15th 07, 08:37 PM
> How much does a dental cleaning cost where you live and what are the
> individual costs (anesthesia, x-rays, blood work, etc)?

That does sound high to me, but like other said, I don't know the
details (will the cat need extractions, for example). I paid around
$150 to have my cat's teeth done a year and a half ago, no extractions.

A full bloodwork panel costs me around $75, but at previous vets I've
paid around $100.

Rene

Richard Evans
January 15th 07, 09:48 PM
"Mike S." > wrote:

>I know that the cost of a dental cleaning will vary depending on a
>number of things, but I'm trying to figure out what the average is. My
>grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
>cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
>I know the prices are a little high around here but that just sounds
>too high

When did such cleanings become commonplace? We had cats all my life
(50s forward) and never gave a thought to cleaning their teeth. Now
vets treat it like it's required and charge enormous fees for it.

bookie
January 16th 07, 12:00 AM
Mike S. wrote:
> I know that the cost of a dental cleaning will vary depending on a
> number of things, but I'm trying to figure out what the average is. My
> grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
> cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
> I know the prices are a little high around here but that just sounds
> too high
>
> About 3-4 years ago, it cost nearly $400 to have a urolith surgically
> removed. I can't figure out why a dental cleaning would cost more than
> a surgery especially since the cat wouldn't have to stay overnight. Not
> unless their prices have gone way up. I know that one of their blood
> tests went up $50 in the course of three years. According to the vet,
> that was because the lab they send the blood work to started charging
> more.
>

> How much does a dental cleaning cost where you live and what are the
> individual costs (anesthesia, x-rays, blood work, etc)?

this was 2 years ago and also in the UK but the last time I took a cat
for a dental it cost me about 150, thankfully jessie has no teeth so
paying for dentals is no a problem now (another wonderful aspect of
adopting an older cat; some of them have no teeth and so you never have
to shell out for dentals!!!!!HOORAH!!!!)

bookie

bookie
January 16th 07, 12:12 AM
Dr. Woodard wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2007 22:55:05 -0800, wrote:
>
> > My
> >> grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
> >> cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
> I had my cats teeth cleaned last year. It was about $700.00

OMG that is way too much to pay, that is something like 300, you are
being ripped off mate

bookie
January 16th 07, 12:27 AM
Richard Evans wrote:
> "Mike S." > wrote:
>
> >I know that the cost of a dental cleaning will vary depending on a
> >number of things, but I'm trying to figure out what the average is. My
> >grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
> >cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
> >I know the prices are a little high around here but that just sounds
> >too high
> >

> When did such cleanings become commonplace? We had cats all my life
> (50s forward) and never gave a thought to cleaning their teeth. Now
> vets treat it like it's required and charge enormous fees for it.

it became common since cats started living much longer than inthe 50s
and 60s due to better nutrition and vet care and because now I think
people are more willing to spend money ontheir animals than they were a
generation ago.

Think about it; in the wild a cat might live to 9 or 10 years at the
most and probably die when it's teeth fell out and it could no longer
catcth prey (if it hadn't already been run over or died from disease),
these days we keep cats alive much longer than they would normally
survive for in the wild and past the time when bad teeth would normally
cause them to die of starvation. Similar thing with most animals (us
included possibly).
Also in the wild feral cats or wild cats eat their prey whole
indcluding bones which helps to clean the teeth (action of gnawing
cleans the teeth, people give their cats dry food for similar effect
today) and so extend the life of the teeth but still they woudl not
last as long as we keep kitties alive for today.

how many people 20 or 30 years ago woudl go to all the trouble and
expense that peopel do today for their pets? certainly when my mum was
young her pet cats did not live long, they were fed mainly on scraps
from the table and extra meat left over from cooking, the idea of
buying in tins was unheard of and i doubt any of these animals saw a
vet ever, it just was not an option. They were deliberately being
cruel, this was rural france and in the 50s and 60s and the french are
notoriously ****ty to their animals anyway, particularly cats for some
reason, which shocked the hell out of my mum when she moved back there
a few years back after 30 years in England where sleeping on the floor
because your dog wants the bed to himself is not uncommon and we spend
untold amounts of cash on our pets every year

those are my thoughts, bookie

cindys
January 16th 07, 12:50 AM
"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
> "Mike S." > wrote:
>
>>I know that the cost of a dental cleaning will vary depending on a
>>number of things, but I'm trying to figure out what the average is. My
>>grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
>>cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
>>I know the prices are a little high around here but that just sounds
>>too high
>>

> When did such cleanings become commonplace? We had cats all my life
> (50s forward) and never gave a thought to cleaning their teeth. Now
> vets treat it like it's required and charge enormous fees for it.
------------
It's not a cosmetic thing. Cats can get periodontal disease just like
humans, and their gums get infected, and then that bacteria can seed through
the bloodstream and affect their internal organs. Not to mention the fact
that it's miserable for the cat to have sore, infected gums, and loose
teeth. I never had Molly's teeth cleaned because the vet always told me that
they "weren't too bad." I came to regret that decision at the end of her
life when she was dying from CRF. She developed rampant periodontal disease
(made much worse by the CRF), and I couldn't have them cleaned at that point
as she would have been unable to survive the anesthesia. Keeping a cat's
teeth and gums in good condition is very important.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

barb
January 16th 07, 05:52 PM
Seems like no one is mentioning that cleaning a cat's teeth involves
anesthesia since cats won't open wide for this.

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

yngver
January 18th 07, 12:22 AM
On Jan 15, 12:25 am, "Mike S." > wrote:
> I know that the cost of a dental cleaning will vary depending on a
> number of things, but I'm trying to figure out what the average is. My
> grandmother was telling me that the veterinary clinic we both take our
> cats to wanted to charge her about $630 to clean her 8 y/o cat's teeth.
> I know the prices are a little high around here but that just sounds
> too high
>
> About 3-4 years ago, it cost nearly $400 to have a urolith surgically
> removed. I can't figure out why a dental cleaning would cost more than
> a surgery especially since the cat wouldn't have to stay overnight. Not
> unless their prices have gone way up. I know that one of their blood
> tests went up $50 in the course of three years. According to the vet,
> that was because the lab they send the blood work to started charging
> more.
>
> How much does a dental cleaning cost where you live and what are the
> individual costs (anesthesia, x-rays, blood work, etc)?

Where I live, in a major city and at an urban cats only vet clinic, the
last two simple dental cleanings (no extractions) cost around $175-200.
When one of our cats had a cleaning and turned out to need extractions
(vet said he couldn't see the holes in those molars until after he
cleaned them) it cost about $350. It would have been more had the vet
done bloodwork, but he doesn't order pre-anesthesia bloodwork for
dental procedure on cats younger than 7 years old.
-yngver

Mike S.
January 18th 07, 07:21 AM
cindys wrote:
> [...]
> > unless their prices have gone way up. I know that one of their blood
> > tests went up $50 in the course of three years. According to the vet,
> > that was because the lab they send the blood work to started charging
> > more.
>
> Shop around. My neighbor used to take her dog to the same vet I use. At one
> point her dog needed surgery for a urolith. The estimated cost was $1400.
> She phoned a different veterinary office in our neighborhood and had the
> procedure done for $600.
>

> > How much does a dental cleaning cost where you live and what are the
> > individual costs (anesthesia, x-rays, blood work, etc)?
>
> A complete blood panel in my vet's office costs around $100. I'm can't
> recall the prices of the anesthesia or x-rays as individual items. I get an
> itemized bill, but I'm usually too busy gagging at the total to pay much

I just got the estimate for my cat's teeth and it's about $540. If any
teeth have to be extracted it will be more - probably $30 per tooth.
They said the cost depends on how long it takes to clean the teeth. So
if the cat's teeth are really bad then it will take longer.

Unfortunately, I left the estimate with the prices on it at the vet but
the charges were something like:
$80 for the blood work which is a CBC/Chem screen (the cost of this
went up $18 within 1 year) and $25 for the antibiotics and pain meds.
The rest is for the dental cleaning and anesthesia. I'll see if I can
get the paperwork to breakdown the prices even more.

I think the reason why it costs so much is because of where I live.
>From what I hear the cost of living for this area is high. Not as high
as places like New York or San Francisco but it's getting that way. It
didn't used to be like that a couple years ago. I don't know much about
this kind of stuff but I guess an example would be that in 2004 a piece
of land (with a house) was assessed at $70,000 and in 2006 it's about
$200,000. Or maybe a better example would be that a single person
earning $90,000 a year couldn't even afford an apartment in this area
unless it was in the bad part of town and you really don't want to live
there. It didn't used to be like that a couple years ago. So I'm
guessing that the veterinary clinic has to raise their prices to pay
the bills and pay the staff.

Two years ago when I called around to check on the costs of
vaccinations and spaying, all of the animal clinics in the area were
pretty much the same price. There weren't any huge differences except
at two places. Both places cost a lot less but they're a bit behind in
the times. They still recommend the herpes/calici/distemper vaccination
every year instead of every 3 years. They don't give out pain meds to
cats after they've been spayed/neutered. They don't use the
gas/inhalent form of anesthesia and over-sedate animals as well as
giving them older and unsafe anesthetics. The list goes on. I think I'd
rather pay more to take my cats someplace that's safer and that I
trust. It's just unbelievably upsetting that the costs for pet health
care is so high and getting higher. It's no wonder people don't want to
take their pets to the vet and abandon them when they get ill.

If anyone is interested, the average cost of a 3 year rabies
vaccination for my area is $29, yearly exam is $45, FVRCP-C vaccination
is$39. Outrageous isn't it?

barb
January 18th 07, 04:55 PM
It's very sad that this can't really be solved. Vets are after all highly
educated, but all these expenses have to give pause to a lot of individuals
who otherwise might want to do more adoptions of pets.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,