PDA

View Full Version : Cat puts food in handles of bowl?

Edna Pearl
January 16th 07, 12:46 AM
My SO and I have been puzzling over this one for years now. We have three
DSHs, two of whom are littermates. The third one is an unusual cat in many
ways, just one of which is that she eats with her paws: She puts her paw
on a piece of kibble, mashes on it until it is wedged between her paw-pads,
then brings the paw to her mouth and eats the piece of kibble. She also
eats normally, with her head in the bowl, but she seems to enjoy eating (and
drinking) with her paws as well.

Now we've seen her eat with her paws a million times, but we've never
actually seen her doing the behavior that really mystifies us. Often, when
we come into the kitchen, we'll find a couple of pieces of kibble in a
handle of her bowl. It's a standard, plastic pet bowl, that looks kind of
like this: http://www.petguys.com/-029695230550.html except that it has
some slots molded into opposite sides of the plastic bowl that serve as
handles. So, in order to get the kibble into the handle, the cat has to
somehow get the piece of kibble out of her bowl then *insert* it into this
little 3/4 inch slot on the *side* of the bowl. We don't know how she does
this, much less why. We don't know if she's doing it with her paws, like
she does when she eats, or with her mouth, or what.

My SO just found a record *four* pieces of kibble in the handle of this
particular cat's bowl, and I figured it was about time to ask you folks,
after all these years of being mystified by this behavior. Any thoughts?
Ever seen a cat do this?

ep

Matthew
January 16th 07, 01:23 AM
Sounds like something a master would do
Edna I have a cat that will wash his dry food one piece at a time if I put
food next to the water dish.

Cats are Cats go with the flow or be sucked under ;-)

"Edna Pearl" > wrote in message
> My SO and I have been puzzling over this one for years now. We have three
> DSHs, two of whom are littermates. The third one is an unusual cat in
> many ways, just one of which is that she eats with her paws: She puts
> her paw on a piece of kibble, mashes on it until it is wedged between her
> paw-pads, then brings the paw to her mouth and eats the piece of kibble.
> She also eats normally, with her head in the bowl, but she seems to enjoy
> eating (and drinking) with her paws as well.
>
> Now we've seen her eat with her paws a million times, but we've never
> actually seen her doing the behavior that really mystifies us. Often,
> when we come into the kitchen, we'll find a couple of pieces of kibble in
> a handle of her bowl. It's a standard, plastic pet bowl, that looks kind
> of like this: http://www.petguys.com/-029695230550.html except that it
> has some slots molded into opposite sides of the plastic bowl that serve
> as handles. So, in order to get the kibble into the handle, the cat has
> to somehow get the piece of kibble out of her bowl then *insert* it into
> this little 3/4 inch slot on the *side* of the bowl. We don't know how
> she does this, much less why. We don't know if she's doing it with her
> paws, like she does when she eats, or with her mouth, or what.
>
> My SO just found a record *four* pieces of kibble in the handle of this
> particular cat's bowl, and I figured it was about time to ask you folks,
> after all these years of being mystified by this behavior. Any thoughts?
> Ever seen a cat do this?
>
> ep

Buddy's Mom
January 16th 07, 02:04 AM
I Had a cat who would drink coffee out of my cup with her paw - and her
paw was white!!!

Matthew wrote:
> Sounds like something a master would do
> Edna I have a cat that will wash his dry food one piece at a time if I put
> food next to the water dish.
>
> Cats are Cats go with the flow or be sucked under ;-)
>

> "Edna Pearl" > wrote in message
> > My SO and I have been puzzling over this one for years now. We have three
> > DSHs, two of whom are littermates. The third one is an unusual cat in
> > many ways, just one of which is that she eats with her paws: She puts
> > her paw on a piece of kibble, mashes on it until it is wedged between her
> > paw-pads, then brings the paw to her mouth and eats the piece of kibble.
> > She also eats normally, with her head in the bowl, but she seems to enjoy
> > eating (and drinking) with her paws as well.
> >
> > Now we've seen her eat with her paws a million times, but we've never
> > actually seen her doing the behavior that really mystifies us. Often,
> > when we come into the kitchen, we'll find a couple of pieces of kibble in
> > a handle of her bowl. It's a standard, plastic pet bowl, that looks kind
> > of like this: http://www.petguys.com/-029695230550.html except that it
> > has some slots molded into opposite sides of the plastic bowl that serve
> > as handles. So, in order to get the kibble into the handle, the cat has
> > to somehow get the piece of kibble out of her bowl then *insert* it into
> > this little 3/4 inch slot on the *side* of the bowl. We don't know how
> > she does this, much less why. We don't know if she's doing it with her
> > paws, like she does when she eats, or with her mouth, or what.
> >
> > My SO just found a record *four* pieces of kibble in the handle of this
> > particular cat's bowl, and I figured it was about time to ask you folks,
> > after all these years of being mystified by this behavior. Any thoughts?
> > Ever seen a cat do this?
> >
> > ep

Lynne
January 16th 07, 03:14 AM
on Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:04:20 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> I Had a cat who would drink coffee out of my cup with her paw - and her
> paw was white!!!

Actually she was flavor-enhancing it for you! ;-)

--
Lynne

mlbriggs
January 16th 07, 08:05 PM
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:46:03 -0600, Edna Pearl wrote:

> My SO and I have been puzzling over this one for years now. We have three
> DSHs, two of whom are littermates. The third one is an unusual cat in many
> ways, just one of which is that she eats with her paws: She puts her paw
> on a piece of kibble, mashes on it until it is wedged between her paw-pads,
> then brings the paw to her mouth and eats the piece of kibble. She also
> eats normally, with her head in the bowl, but she seems to enjoy eating (and
> drinking) with her paws as well.
>
> Now we've seen her eat with her paws a million times, but we've never
> actually seen her doing the behavior that really mystifies us. Often, when
> we come into the kitchen, we'll find a couple of pieces of kibble in a
> handle of her bowl. It's a standard, plastic pet bowl, that looks kind of
> like this: http://www.petguys.com/-029695230550.html except that it has
> some slots molded into opposite sides of the plastic bowl that serve as
> handles. So, in order to get the kibble into the handle, the cat has to
> somehow get the piece of kibble out of her bowl then *insert* it into this
> little 3/4 inch slot on the *side* of the bowl. We don't know how she does
> this, much less why. We don't know if she's doing it with her paws, like
> she does when she eats, or with her mouth, or what.
>
> My SO just found a record *four* pieces of kibble in the handle of this
> particular cat's bowl, and I figured it was about time to ask you folks,
> after all these years of being mystified by this behavior. Any thoughts?
> Ever seen a cat do this?
>
> ep

Sounds like a raccoon blood in her veins!

maralisil
January 17th 07, 03:16 PM
Edna Pearl wrote:
> My SO and I have been puzzling over this one for years now. We have three
> DSHs, two of whom are littermates. The third one is an unusual cat in many
> ways, just one of which is that she eats with her paws: She puts her paw
> on a piece of kibble, mashes on it until it is wedged between her paw-pads,
> then brings the paw to her mouth and eats the piece of kibble. She also
> eats normally, with her head in the bowl, but she seems to enjoy eating (and
> drinking) with her paws as well.

God, that's cute! I've seen kitties use their paws before when eating.
Some like to moisten the dry in the water dish too -- then they'll play
around in the water! Watch her quietly for a while. Is the food just
dropping into the cracks? Maybe she gets the spills from the floor, but
just can't reach the food in the handle. Probably an offering to the
Great Cat Goddess! ;)

Edna Pearl
January 17th 07, 05:49 PM
"maralisil" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Edna Pearl wrote:
> God, that's cute! I've seen kitties use their paws before when eating.
> Some like to moisten the dry in the water dish too -- then they'll play
> around in the water! Watch her quietly for a while. Is the food just
> dropping into the cracks?

Impossible.

> Maybe she gets the spills from the floor, but
> just can't reach the food in the handle. Probably an offering to the
> Great Cat Goddess! ;)

Now that's the best explanation I've encountered! :-D

ep