PDA

View Full Version : is it possible for fleas to live in human hair?


Elizabeth via CatKB.com
January 18th 07, 10:35 AM
i ask because my cat has fleas *cringe* and sometimes my scalp itches like no
other. so i get paranoid... do i have fleas crawling around on my scalp???
also, my mother does not know about the cat having fleas. although i give my
kitty fleas baths, nothing seems to work.
what do i do without my mother kicking my cat to the curb and spending tons
of money on flea treatments for the house?
if we do have to get rid of her, which i don't think i can handle, would she
be able to adapt easily to a new home??? please any advice is appreciated!

--
Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

January 18th 07, 01:35 PM
Hi Elizabeth,
do you know which is an absolutely sure method not to have fleas on
humans?
To have a cat in your house!
A flea never want to go to human if it has a beautiful fur to choose.
So don't worry about fleas.
To fight them there are product you can find easily for example "front
line".

Max

Wendy
January 18th 07, 02:50 PM
"Elizabeth via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>i ask because my cat has fleas *cringe* and sometimes my scalp itches like
>no
> other. so i get paranoid... do i have fleas crawling around on my scalp???
> also, my mother does not know about the cat having fleas. although i give
> my
> kitty fleas baths, nothing seems to work.
> what do i do without my mother kicking my cat to the curb and spending
> tons
> of money on flea treatments for the house?
> if we do have to get rid of her, which i don't think i can handle, would
> she
> be able to adapt easily to a new home??? please any advice is appreciated!
>
> --
> Message posted via http://www.catkb.com
>

Yes, you could have a flea in your scalp. I don't know if they set up
housekeeping there with a much more desirable location available (the cat)
but they can pass through.

Solving this problem won't cost tons of money. Get some Advantage or
Frontline and treat the cat. If you let the cat out you will have to treat
the cat year round. To get the fleas out of the house, vacuum, vacuum,
vacuum. Get a flea collar at the pet store cut it up and put it in the
vacuum cleaner bag. They aren't good for much else.

W

bobblespin
January 18th 07, 03:07 PM
wrote in news:[email protected]
51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:

> Hi Elizabeth,
> do you know which is an absolutely sure method not to have fleas on
> humans?
> To have a cat in your house!
> A flea never want to go to human if it has a beautiful fur to choose.
> So don't worry about fleas.


Not true! Years ago our 2 cats had fleas and they were biting my legs like
crazy (this was before the invention of these wonderful products we have
now). My husband was lucky, they never bit him.

Bobble



> To fight them there are product you can find easily for example "front
> line".
>
> Max
>

Marissa
January 18th 07, 04:21 PM
Spreading carpet fresh all over the carpets when you vacuum and vacuum and
vacuum is very helpful. Arm n Hammer is probably best in that it contains
baking soda, (sodium bicarb). The sodium bicarb component will kill fleas
and is perfectly harmless to your kitties.

Your house will smell great!! Happy vacuuming
Good luck,
Maria



"Wendy" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Elizabeth via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>i ask because my cat has fleas *cringe* and sometimes my scalp itches like
>>no
>> other. so i get paranoid... do i have fleas crawling around on my
>> scalp???
>> also, my mother does not know about the cat having fleas. although i give
>> my
>> kitty fleas baths, nothing seems to work.
>> what do i do without my mother kicking my cat to the curb and spending
>> tons
>> of money on flea treatments for the house?
>> if we do have to get rid of her, which i don't think i can handle, would
>> she
>> be able to adapt easily to a new home??? please any advice is
>> appreciated!
>>
>> --
>> Message posted via http://www.catkb.com
>>
>
> Yes, you could have a flea in your scalp. I don't know if they set up
> housekeeping there with a much more desirable location available (the cat)
> but they can pass through.
>
> Solving this problem won't cost tons of money. Get some Advantage or
> Frontline and treat the cat. If you let the cat out you will have to treat
> the cat year round. To get the fleas out of the house, vacuum, vacuum,
> vacuum. Get a flea collar at the pet store cut it up and put it in the
> vacuum cleaner bag. They aren't good for much else.
>
> W
>

cindys
January 18th 07, 05:01 PM
"Marissa" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Spreading carpet fresh all over the carpets when you vacuum and vacuum and
> vacuum is very helpful. Arm n Hammer is probably best in that it contains
> baking soda, (sodium bicarb). The sodium bicarb component will kill
> fleas and is perfectly harmless to your kitties.
-------
I always thought that the sodium bicarb gets on the cat's paws, which they
are constantly licking, then it gets into their bloodstream and ultimately
their urine gets too alkaline, predisposing them to stone formation. That's
the reason I never buy a cat litter that contains sodium bicarb. I read this
somewhere, and I'm not sure if it's true or if I'm being gullible. Can
anybody comment?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Edna Pearl
January 18th 07, 08:18 PM
If you have fleas, you'll know it.

Prevent fleas with Frontline, Advantage, or a similar monthly (or
thereabouts) skin treatment. If you have fleas in the house, remove the
pets and people and flea bomb the house while you flea-treat the cat. Flea
bombs are not expensive.

ep

"Elizabeth via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>i ask because my cat has fleas *cringe* and sometimes my scalp itches like
>no
> other. so i get paranoid... do i have fleas crawling around on my scalp???
> also, my mother does not know about the cat having fleas. although i give
> my
> kitty fleas baths, nothing seems to work.
> what do i do without my mother kicking my cat to the curb and spending
> tons
> of money on flea treatments for the house?
> if we do have to get rid of her, which i don't think i can handle, would
> she
> be able to adapt easily to a new home??? please any advice is appreciated!
>
> --
> Message posted via http://www.catkb.com
>

Elizabeth via CatKB.com
January 18th 07, 09:57 PM
okay thank you all very much. after i posted this i went and looked at my
scalp. seems to me i just have a case of dry skin. ick. anyway, i'll be
giving her a beth tonight and i'll be using the carpet powder, and i'll wash
all of my clothes and sheets. that, i figure, is the best i can do. thanks
for all of your advice!!

--
http://i7.tinypic.com/24g0snn.jpg

my baby.

Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200701/1

cindys
January 18th 07, 10:45 PM
"Elizabeth via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> okay thank you all very much. after i posted this i went and looked at my
> scalp. seems to me i just have a case of dry skin. ick. anyway, i'll be
> giving her a beth tonight and i'll be using the carpet powder, and i'll
> wash
> all of my clothes and sheets. that, i figure, is the best i can do. thanks
> for all of your advice!!
>
> --
> http://i7.tinypic.com/24g0snn.jpg
>
----------
She is totally gorgeous. Why is flea treatment for the cat not an option for
you?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Wendy
January 19th 07, 01:37 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Elizabeth via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> okay thank you all very much. after i posted this i went and looked at my
>> scalp. seems to me i just have a case of dry skin. ick. anyway, i'll be
>> giving her a beth tonight and i'll be using the carpet powder, and i'll
>> wash
>> all of my clothes and sheets. that, i figure, is the best i can do.
>> thanks
>> for all of your advice!!
>>
>> --
>> http://i7.tinypic.com/24g0snn.jpg
>>
> ----------
> She is totally gorgeous. Why is flea treatment for the cat not an option
> for you?
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.
>
One more person who asks for advice and when it isn't what they want to hear
they ignore it.

They will bathe the cat and there will still be live fleas on it when they
are done. All they will accomplish is to annoy the cat and create a large
load of wet towels to be laundered. BTDT in the days before Frontline,
Advantage, Program and Revolution.

W

cindys
January 19th 07, 03:56 PM
Wendy wrote:
> "cindys" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > "Elizabeth via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> okay thank you all very much. after i posted this i went and looked at my
> >> scalp. seems to me i just have a case of dry skin. ick. anyway, i'll be
> >> giving her a beth tonight and i'll be using the carpet powder, and i'll
> >> wash
> >> all of my clothes and sheets. that, i figure, is the best i can do.
> >> thanks
> >> for all of your advice!!
> >>
> >> --
> >> http://i7.tinypic.com/24g0snn.jpg
> >>
> > ----------
> > She is totally gorgeous. Why is flea treatment for the cat not an option
> > for you?
> > Best regards,
> > ---Cindy S.
> >
> One more person who asks for advice and when it isn't what they want to hear
> they ignore it.
>
> They will bathe the cat and there will still be live fleas on it when they
> are done. All they will accomplish is to annoy the cat and create a large
> load of wet towels to be laundered. BTDT in the days before Frontline,
> Advantage, Program and Revolution.
----------
My understanding is that this is a little girl, since she commented
that *her mother* was going to *kick the cat to the curb* if she
couldn't get rid of the fleas, but all of that bathing and laundering
will take hours and hours, and the anti-flea shampoo (presuming she
uses one) could be harmful to the cat and I agree there will still be
countless numbers of fleas. Treatment with Frontline would take five
seconds and get rid of the fleas. I am wondering if the mother is
refusing to take the cat to the vet or pet shop where she could buy
this stuff, and the little girl doesn't have a means to get there or
that kind of money?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Lynne
January 19th 07, 06:48 PM
on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:56:03 GMT, "cindys" >
wrote:

> I am wondering if the mother is
> refusing to take the cat to the vet or pet shop where she could buy
> this stuff, and the little girl doesn't have a means to get there or
> that kind of money?

I am wondering if it's another troll. It certainly meets the standard
criteria: problem with the cat, no money to resolve it, cat will be kicked
out. It's as if CatKB has a formulatic post generator. Apparently the
coder forgot to enable punctuation, but it even looks the same.

--
Lynne

January 22nd 07, 09:36 AM
What I said is true if you fight fleas in the meanwhile! Don't wait to
be overrun!
Eliz use FrontLine!
You'll get rid of fleas without troubles ...
Max


bobblespin wrote:
> wrote in news:[email protected]
> 51g2000cwl.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hi Elizabeth,
> > do you know which is an absolutely sure method not to have fleas on
> > humans?
> > To have a cat in your house!
> > A flea never want to go to human if it has a beautiful fur to choose.
> > So don't worry about fleas.
>
>
> Not true! Years ago our 2 cats had fleas and they were biting my legs like
> crazy (this was before the invention of these wonderful products we have
> now). My husband was lucky, they never bit him.
>
> Bobble
>
>
>
> > To fight them there are product you can find easily for example "front
> > line".
> >
> > Max
> >

January 22nd 07, 10:46 AM
Elizabeth via CatKB.com wrote:
> i ask because my cat has fleas *cringe* and sometimes my scalp itches like no
> other. so i get paranoid... do i have fleas crawling around on my scalp???
> also, my mother does not know about the cat having fleas. although i give my
> kitty fleas baths, nothing seems to work.
> what do i do without my mother kicking my cat to the curb and spending tons
> of money on flea treatments for the house?
> if we do have to get rid of her, which i don't think i can handle, would she
> be able to adapt easily to a new home??? please any advice is appreciated!
>
> --

You can also treat floors, cat trees, and pet beds with borax. It
absorbs moisture, so it dries out small bugs without harming larger
animals. Just sprinkle a light amount and sweep into the rugs.

If you already have fleas, it will take a week or two to kill them all.
You may want to use advantage for faster relief. But once you do it, it
will keep you flea free for 3-6 months at a time. Just treat the floors
every 3-4 months, and you will have no problems.