PDA

View Full Version : Cat Scratching Face Raw (pics)

IDzine01
January 19th 07, 01:08 AM
I'm having problems with Dave, my cat. The history is, last March I
brought him to the vet because he was scratching the outside of his
ears raw. His ringworm test came back negative and the vet gave me
drops for his ears. They are intended for the inside, but have a mild
steroid so they reduce swelling when applied on the outside. Basically
he wasn't diagnosed with anything and the drops didn't help. It went
away on it's own after several months.

A few days ago I noticed Dave scratching his face. Then last night I
felt a scab and on further inspection I found he had been scratching
his face bloody above his eyes (and below his ears). He had many scabs
and hair loss that were rather disturbing. Tonight I called vet when I
got home and found he has scratched himself to the point where he has
open wounds. I tried to wash the scabs but I couldn't hold him still.
His vet appointment is tomorrow night.

Here are photos... They are blurry and dark. My camera's flash stopped
working just today... figures.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2406/01180017ao2.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4898/01180014an0.jpg

Last year ee thought it could have been alergies because last March
when it happened it had been warm and the windows were open. Now it's
January and although it has been VERY warm until yesterday, the windows
have been closed. Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat?

Thanks
Christie (and Dave)

Buddy's Mom
January 19th 07, 01:29 AM
Those pictures are very painful to look at. i would really suggest
that you go to another vet. This isn't something to just let go.
There is something wrong and it may be allergies, but it shouldn't have
to get to this point year after year.

IDzine01 wrote:
> I'm having problems with Dave, my cat. The history is, last March I
> brought him to the vet because he was scratching the outside of his
> ears raw. His ringworm test came back negative and the vet gave me
> drops for his ears. They are intended for the inside, but have a mild
> steroid so they reduce swelling when applied on the outside. Basically
> he wasn't diagnosed with anything and the drops didn't help. It went
> away on it's own after several months.
>
> A few days ago I noticed Dave scratching his face. Then last night I
> felt a scab and on further inspection I found he had been scratching
> his face bloody above his eyes (and below his ears). He had many scabs
> and hair loss that were rather disturbing. Tonight I called vet when I
> got home and found he has scratched himself to the point where he has
> open wounds. I tried to wash the scabs but I couldn't hold him still.
> His vet appointment is tomorrow night.
>
> Here are photos... They are blurry and dark. My camera's flash stopped
> working just today... figures.
>
> http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2406/01180017ao2.jpg
>
> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4898/01180014an0.jpg
>
> Last year ee thought it could have been alergies because last March
> when it happened it had been warm and the windows were open. Now it's
> January and although it has been VERY warm until yesterday, the windows
> have been closed. Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat?
>
> Thanks
> Christie (and Dave)

Matthew
January 19th 07, 02:09 AM
My Rumble looked at lot worse than that he has epilepsy the itches he got
caused him to do this he got a depo shot and after a few treatments it
would go away when he started again he got another one.

"IDzine01" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm having problems with Dave, my cat. The history is, last March I
> brought him to the vet because he was scratching the outside of his
> ears raw. His ringworm test came back negative and the vet gave me
> drops for his ears. They are intended for the inside, but have a mild
> steroid so they reduce swelling when applied on the outside. Basically
> he wasn't diagnosed with anything and the drops didn't help. It went
> away on it's own after several months.
>
> A few days ago I noticed Dave scratching his face. Then last night I
> felt a scab and on further inspection I found he had been scratching
> his face bloody above his eyes (and below his ears). He had many scabs
> and hair loss that were rather disturbing. Tonight I called vet when I
> got home and found he has scratched himself to the point where he has
> open wounds. I tried to wash the scabs but I couldn't hold him still.
> His vet appointment is tomorrow night.
>
> Here are photos... They are blurry and dark. My camera's flash stopped
> working just today... figures.
>
> http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2406/01180017ao2.jpg
>
> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4898/01180014an0.jpg
>
> Last year ee thought it could have been alergies because last March
> when it happened it had been warm and the windows were open. Now it's
> January and although it has been VERY warm until yesterday, the windows
> have been closed. Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat?
>
> Thanks
> Christie (and Dave)

IDzine01
January 19th 07, 02:17 AM
I will actually be seeing another vet tomorrow. It's the same clinic
but another doctor. I hope they will be able to make a diagnosis.

Buddy's Mom wrote:
> Those pictures are very painful to look at. i would really suggest
> that you go to another vet. This isn't something to just let go.
> There is something wrong and it may be allergies, but it shouldn't have
> to get to this point year after year.

Jim Vecchiola
January 19th 07, 02:18 AM
I had a much lesser problem with "Mommacat", my 10-year old shelter
adoptee. At the beginning of this winter she was scratching just forward
of her ears - not as bad as your cat, but she left a few sore areas. I
treated it myself with some (small amount) of anti-itch body lotion -
rubbed it in gently. It was easy to do since she loves having me scratch
her chin and her face. It worked - after a few days, the soreness
healed. Seemed to be an allergy or just the onset of the colder weather.
Yours looks much more severe - but it may be some type of allergic
reaction. I wish you and Dave good luck.

Jim

"IDzine01" > wrote in message
ups.com:

> I'm having problems with Dave, my cat. The history is, last March I
> brought him to the vet because he was scratching the outside of his
> ears raw. His ringworm test came back negative and the vet gave me
> drops for his ears. They are intended for the inside, but have a mild
> steroid so they reduce swelling when applied on the outside. Basically
> he wasn't diagnosed with anything and the drops didn't help. It went
> away on it's own after several months.
>
> A few days ago I noticed Dave scratching his face. Then last night I
> felt a scab and on further inspection I found he had been scratching
> his face bloody above his eyes (and below his ears). He had many scabs
> and hair loss that were rather disturbing. Tonight I called vet when I
> got home and found he has scratched himself to the point where he has
> open wounds. I tried to wash the scabs but I couldn't hold him still.
> His vet appointment is tomorrow night.
>
> Here are photos... They are blurry and dark. My camera's flash stopped
> working just today... figures.
>
> http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2406/01180017ao2.jpg
>
> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4898/01180014an0.jpg
>
> Last year ee thought it could have been alergies because last March
> when it happened it had been warm and the windows were open. Now it's
> January and although it has been VERY warm until yesterday, the windows
> have been closed. Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat?
>
> Thanks
> Christie (and Dave)

Alan
January 19th 07, 02:22 AM
A form of Mange?

"IDzine01" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm having problems with Dave, my cat. The history is, last March I
> brought him to the vet because he was scratching the outside of his
> ears raw. His ringworm test came back negative and the vet gave me
> drops for his ears. They are intended for the inside, but have a mild
> steroid so they reduce swelling when applied on the outside. Basically
> he wasn't diagnosed with anything and the drops didn't help. It went
> away on it's own after several months.
>
> A few days ago I noticed Dave scratching his face. Then last night I
> felt a scab and on further inspection I found he had been scratching
> his face bloody above his eyes (and below his ears). He had many scabs
> and hair loss that were rather disturbing. Tonight I called vet when I
> got home and found he has scratched himself to the point where he has
> open wounds. I tried to wash the scabs but I couldn't hold him still.
> His vet appointment is tomorrow night.
>
> Here are photos... They are blurry and dark. My camera's flash stopped
> working just today... figures.
>
> http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2406/01180017ao2.jpg
>
> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4898/01180014an0.jpg
>
> Last year ee thought it could have been alergies because last March
> when it happened it had been warm and the windows were open. Now it's
> January and although it has been VERY warm until yesterday, the windows
> have been closed. Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat?
>
> Thanks
> Christie (and Dave)

Rhonda
January 19th 07, 05:57 AM
Sometimes food allergies can cause itching and swelling -- our cat that
down his cheek. He was put on IVD limited ingredients food.

Don't let them give him a steroid shot for allergies. Our cat became
diabetic 3 weeks after one shot.

Rhonda

IDzine01 wrote:
> I will actually be seeing another vet tomorrow. It's the same clinic
> but another doctor. I hope they will be able to make a diagnosis.
>
> Buddy's Mom wrote:
>
>>Those pictures are very painful to look at. i would really suggest
>>that you go to another vet. This isn't something to just let go.
>>There is something wrong and it may be allergies, but it shouldn't have
>>to get to this point year after year.

IDzine01
January 19th 07, 01:37 PM
I did switch his food to Science Diet this week. I will definitely
bring that up at the Vet tonight. Damn... I wish I hadn't given it to
him this morning. (Just in case)

Rhonda wrote:
> Sometimes food allergies can cause itching and swelling -- our cat that
> down his cheek. He was put on IVD limited ingredients food.
>
> Don't let them give him a steroid shot for allergies. Our cat became
> diabetic 3 weeks after one shot.
>
> Rhonda
>
> IDzine01 wrote:
> > I will actually be seeing another vet tomorrow. It's the same clinic
> > but another doctor. I hope they will be able to make a diagnosis.
> >
> > Buddy's Mom wrote:
> >
> >>Those pictures are very painful to look at. i would really suggest
> >>that you go to another vet. This isn't something to just let go.
> >>There is something wrong and it may be allergies, but it shouldn't have
> >>to get to this point year after year.

Wendy
January 19th 07, 02:03 PM
"IDzine01" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm having problems with Dave, my cat. The history is, last March I
> brought him to the vet because he was scratching the outside of his
> ears raw. His ringworm test came back negative and the vet gave me
> drops for his ears. They are intended for the inside, but have a mild
> steroid so they reduce swelling when applied on the outside. Basically
> he wasn't diagnosed with anything and the drops didn't help. It went
> away on it's own after several months.
>
> A few days ago I noticed Dave scratching his face. Then last night I
> felt a scab and on further inspection I found he had been scratching
> his face bloody above his eyes (and below his ears). He had many scabs
> and hair loss that were rather disturbing. Tonight I called vet when I
> got home and found he has scratched himself to the point where he has
> open wounds. I tried to wash the scabs but I couldn't hold him still.
> His vet appointment is tomorrow night.
>
> Here are photos... They are blurry and dark. My camera's flash stopped
> working just today... figures.
>
> http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2406/01180017ao2.jpg
>
> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4898/01180014an0.jpg
>
> Last year ee thought it could have been alergies because last March
> when it happened it had been warm and the windows were open. Now it's
> January and although it has been VERY warm until yesterday, the windows
> have been closed. Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat?
>
> Thanks
> Christie (and Dave)

I just had a foster who would rake open her face and neck. It was a food
allergy and we had to take her off foods that contained grains or at least a
lot of grains. She did clear up on Eucanuba chicken and rice dry and wet.
You have to get to ingredient 4 or 5 before encountering the rice. With a
lot of other dry foods the corn or wheat start showing up as the second
ingredient.

dgk
January 19th 07, 06:30 PM
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 05:57:15 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>Sometimes food allergies can cause itching and swelling -- our cat that
>down his cheek. He was put on IVD limited ingredients food.
>
>Don't let them give him a steroid shot for allergies. Our cat became
>diabetic 3 weeks after one shot.
>
>Rhonda

As we discussed a while back, there is a link between steroids and
diabetes but for a steroid shot to cause diabetes seems very rare.
It's more likely that the shot can push a marginally diabetic cat over
the line.

Many, many cats get steroids for all kinds of things and don't get
diabetes. Rhonda, do you recall which steroid it was? Maybe there is a
difference between the short acting and long acting ones?

Rhonda
January 19th 07, 06:44 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 05:57:15 GMT, Rhonda >
> wrote:
>
>>Sometimes food allergies can cause itching and swelling -- our cat that
>>down his cheek. He was put on IVD limited ingredients food.
>>
>>Don't let them give him a steroid shot for allergies. Our cat became
>>diabetic 3 weeks after one shot.
>>
>>Rhonda
>
> As we discussed a while back, there is a link between steroids and
> diabetes but for a steroid shot to cause diabetes seems very rare.
> It's more likely that the shot can push a marginally diabetic cat over
> the line.
>
> Many, many cats get steroids for all kinds of things and don't get
> diabetes. Rhonda, do you recall which steroid it was? Maybe there is a
> difference between the short acting and long acting ones?

No, I never knew what type -- I wasn't the one who took the cat in that
time. It was our internist vet that pointed out the link. She even said
it happened to a cat that she personally had given a steroid shot.

Also, a surgeon who we consulted for another cat said there are
different types of steroids, but when we told him it was an allergy shot
-- he said you have to be very careful with those shots. He said there
have been those kinds of problems.

I believe last time you questioned it I posted the results from the
feline diabetes group. I think 6-7 people answered within a few hours
that their cats were diabetic from a steroid treatment.

When one of your cats becomes diabetic after one shot and after you
spend $4,000 in six months and still watch him go through hell, then
come back to me with your feelings about it.

Rhonda

Lynne
January 19th 07, 09:46 PM
on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:30:32 GMT, dgk > wrote:

> As we discussed a while back, there is a link between steroids and
> diabetes but for a steroid shot to cause diabetes seems very rare.
> It's more likely that the shot can push a marginally diabetic cat over
> the line.
>
> Many, many cats get steroids for all kinds of things and don't get
> diabetes. Rhonda, do you recall which steroid it was? Maybe there is a
> difference between the short acting and long acting ones?

before resorting to treating the symptoms with steriods, I think the OP
would be wiser to avoid the cause. Innova Evo cat food, both wet and dry,
has NO grains. I'd try that.

--
Lynne

IDzine01
January 20th 07, 02:30 AM
Ok, we're back from the vet. They swabbed the ears which looked very
clean right away and the vet and I conversed about possible allergens.
The scratches were infected so he suggested an antibiotic. He
specifically said he didn't want to issue a steroid (even before I
asked) so the whole issue became moot. When I asked him about the
steroids leading to diabetes he confirmed that it's possible but that
he wouldn't issue a steroid that caused diabetes. (It would be very
mild) He did say that steroid inducing diabetes create one of the most
difficult forms to manage... but like I said, steroids were off the
table from the beginning. Since steroids suppress the immune system,
they weren't appropriate for a cat who already had an infection.

We sent the ear swabs off to test and discussed a trial and error plan
for determining what he might be allergic to but just then the results
came back. Even though the ears "appeared" clean, they BOTH had
bacterial infections. Awww. I never did find out why... I guess
sometimes you just get sick. So, it's antibiotics for Dave through an
oral syringe. I thought my Vet was crazy when they handed me those
little syringes but it wasn't nearly as difficult to administer as it
appeared. I walked away unharmed... and so did he.

So, that's news. Poor little Dave. He's so uncomfortable.

IDzine01 wrote:
> I'm having problems with Dave, my cat. The history is, last March I
> brought him to the vet because he was scratching the outside of his
> ears raw. His ringworm test came back negative and the vet gave me
> drops for his ears. They are intended for the inside, but have a mild
> steroid so they reduce swelling when applied on the outside. Basically
> he wasn't diagnosed with anything and the drops didn't help. It went
> away on it's own after several months.
>
> A few days ago I noticed Dave scratching his face. Then last night I
> felt a scab and on further inspection I found he had been scratching
> his face bloody above his eyes (and below his ears). He had many scabs
> and hair loss that were rather disturbing. Tonight I called vet when I
> got home and found he has scratched himself to the point where he has
> open wounds. I tried to wash the scabs but I couldn't hold him still.
> His vet appointment is tomorrow night.
>
> Here are photos... They are blurry and dark. My camera's flash stopped
> working just today... figures.
>
> http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2406/01180017ao2.jpg
>
> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4898/01180014an0.jpg
>
> Last year ee thought it could have been alergies because last March
> when it happened it had been warm and the windows were open. Now it's
> January and although it has been VERY warm until yesterday, the windows
> have been closed. Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat?
>
> Thanks
> Christie (and Dave)

Moongal
January 20th 07, 03:01 AM
I hope your kitty is feeling better soon.

Was it the infections that were making him scratch, or are you still looking
to see if he's allergic to something?

"IDzine01" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ok, we're back from the vet. They swabbed the ears which looked very
> clean right away and the vet and I conversed about possible allergens.
> The scratches were infected so he suggested an antibiotic. He
> specifically said he didn't want to issue a steroid (even before I
> asked) so the whole issue became moot. When I asked him about the
> steroids leading to diabetes he confirmed that it's possible but that
> he wouldn't issue a steroid that caused diabetes. (It would be very
> mild) He did say that steroid inducing diabetes create one of the most
> difficult forms to manage... but like I said, steroids were off the
> table from the beginning. Since steroids suppress the immune system,
> they weren't appropriate for a cat who already had an infection.
>
> We sent the ear swabs off to test and discussed a trial and error plan
> for determining what he might be allergic to but just then the results
> came back. Even though the ears "appeared" clean, they BOTH had
> bacterial infections. Awww. I never did find out why... I guess
> sometimes you just get sick. So, it's antibiotics for Dave through an
> oral syringe. I thought my Vet was crazy when they handed me those
> little syringes but it wasn't nearly as difficult to administer as it
> appeared. I walked away unharmed... and so did he.
>
> So, that's news. Poor little Dave. He's so uncomfortable.
>

> IDzine01 wrote:
>> I'm having problems with Dave, my cat. The history is, last March I
>> brought him to the vet because he was scratching the outside of his
>> ears raw. His ringworm test came back negative and the vet gave me
>> drops for his ears. They are intended for the inside, but have a mild
>> steroid so they reduce swelling when applied on the outside. Basically
>> he wasn't diagnosed with anything and the drops didn't help. It went
>> away on it's own after several months.
>>
>> A few days ago I noticed Dave scratching his face. Then last night I
>> felt a scab and on further inspection I found he had been scratching
>> his face bloody above his eyes (and below his ears). He had many scabs
>> and hair loss that were rather disturbing. Tonight I called vet when I
>> got home and found he has scratched himself to the point where he has
>> open wounds. I tried to wash the scabs but I couldn't hold him still.
>> His vet appointment is tomorrow night.
>>
>> Here are photos... They are blurry and dark. My camera's flash stopped
>> working just today... figures.
>>
>> http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2406/01180017ao2.jpg
>>
>> http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4898/01180014an0.jpg
>>
>> Last year ee thought it could have been alergies because last March
>> when it happened it had been warm and the windows were open. Now it's
>> January and although it has been VERY warm until yesterday, the windows
>> have been closed. Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Christie (and Dave)

Rhonda
January 20th 07, 05:28 AM
I wondered that too. Were the infections severe enough to cause that
much itching?

I hope this does the trick for him. I'm glad you can get the antibiotics
in him. We recently had a vet call in a prescription and the pharmacist
filled it as LEMON flavored liquid. OMG, we had a cat fight on our
hands, and we lost!

Hope he's better soon,

Rhonda

Moongal wrote:
> [...]
>>>his face bloody above his eyes (and below his ears). He had many scabs
>>>and hair loss that were rather disturbing. Tonight I called vet when I
>>>got home and found he has scratched himself to the point where he has
>>>open wounds. I tried to wash the scabs but I couldn't hold him still.
>>>His vet appointment is tomorrow night.
>>>
>>>Here are photos... They are blurry and dark. My camera's flash stopped
>>>working just today... figures.
>>>
>>>http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2406/01180017ao2.jpg
>>>
>>>http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/4898/01180014an0.jpg
>>>
>>>Last year ee thought it could have been alergies because last March
>>>when it happened it had been warm and the windows were open. Now it's
>>>January and although it has been VERY warm until yesterday, the windows
>>>have been closed. Has anyone ever had this happen to their cat?

22brix
January 20th 07, 07:11 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
>We recently had a vet call in a prescription and the pharmacist filled it
>as LEMON flavored liquid. OMG, we had a cat fight on our hands, and we
>lost!

Or how about bubblegum flavored?! I wish they'd make a tuna flavored
antibiotic--it would certainly make life a lot easier!

Bonnie

Rhonda
January 21st 07, 12:33 AM
22brix wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>We recently had a vet call in a prescription and the pharmacist filled it
>>as LEMON flavored liquid. OMG, we had a cat fight on our hands, and we
>>lost!
>
> Or how about bubblegum flavored?! I wish they'd make a tuna flavored
> antibiotic--it would certainly make life a lot easier!

Bubblegum? Ooohh.

After I got home and realized it was heavily flavored with lemon, I
called the pharmacy back. They offered to flavor it anything else, and
said they had every flavor you could think of. Of course I said "Meat?"
He said no, everything else. Everything else was all fruits, chocolate,
or bubblegum. I'm sure that didn't work for your cat either.

There is a compounding pharmacy here that does meat flavors for vets,
but it was too late on a Friday night for that.

Rhonda

IDzine01
January 21st 07, 01:24 AM
Oh my, that's hilarious! Dave did get meat flavored antibiotics. It's a
major veterinary hospital in this area so they fill the perscriptions
right there. His is chicken flavored. He doesn't seem to mind the
flavor but he doesn't like being held down.

Rhonda wrote:
> 22brix wrote:
> > "Rhonda" > wrote in message
> >
> >>We recently had a vet call in a prescription and the pharmacist filled it
> >>as LEMON flavored liquid. OMG, we had a cat fight on our hands, and we
> >>lost!
> >
> > Or how about bubblegum flavored?! I wish they'd make a tuna flavored
> > antibiotic--it would certainly make life a lot easier!
>
> Bubblegum? Ooohh.
>
> After I got home and realized it was heavily flavored with lemon, I
> called the pharmacy back. They offered to flavor it anything else, and
> said they had every flavor you could think of. Of course I said "Meat?"
> He said no, everything else. Everything else was all fruits, chocolate,
> or bubblegum. I'm sure that didn't work for your cat either.
>
> There is a compounding pharmacy here that does meat flavors for vets,
> but it was too late on a Friday night for that.
>
> Rhonda

Rhonda
January 21st 07, 07:44 AM
The pharmacy that compounds for vets here made us chicken gravy-flavored
once. I got cans of chicken-gravy cat food, poured off some of the gravy
into a cat bowl, put the flavored medicine in that, and our most finicky
(and smart) cat ate it right down! I think I screamed for joy on that one.

It would be cool if all pharmacies would carry a carnivore flavor.

Rhonda

IDzine01 wrote:
> Oh my, that's hilarious! Dave did get meat flavored antibiotics. It's a
> major veterinary hospital in this area so they fill the perscriptions
> right there. His is chicken flavored. He doesn't seem to mind the
> flavor but he doesn't like being held down.
>

> Rhonda wrote:
>
>>22brix wrote:

>>>Or how about bubblegum flavored?! I wish they'd make a tuna flavored
>>>antibiotic--it would certainly make life a lot easier!
>>
>>Bubblegum? Ooohh.
>>
>>After I got home and realized it was heavily flavored with lemon, I
>>called the pharmacy back. They offered to flavor it anything else, and
>>said they had every flavor you could think of. Of course I said "Meat?"
>>He said no, everything else. Everything else was all fruits, chocolate,
>>or bubblegum. I'm sure that didn't work for your cat either.
>>
>>There is a compounding pharmacy here that does meat flavors for vets,
>>but it was too late on a Friday night for that.
>>
>>Rhonda

Lynne
January 21st 07, 03:10 PM
on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 07:44:30 GMT, Rhonda > wrote:

> It would be cool if all pharmacies would carry a carnivore flavor.

I'm lucky. Levi likes the regular kids formulation, bubble gum (?)
flavored amoxicillan. I just have to hold the oral syringe up and start
squeezing and he sucks it all down. Rudy doesn't do well with liquid meds,
and never has from the time he was a kitten. He gets very upset and foams
at the mouth, so I just pill him (which, surprisingly, is not a problem).
Thankfully, Rudy never gets sick anymore, but I know that won't last
forever.

Rudy also has terrible allergic reactions to his vaccines and has to have a
Benadryl injection first. The first time he had his shots, he reacted
within 5 minutes and it was really scary. He hates the vet, needless to
say.

--
Lynne

22brix
January 21st 07, 05:44 PM
I'm jealous! There is a compounding pharmacy in town but I have a feeling
it's mainly geared toward the human taste buds. It does seem like there's
enough of a vet market that it would be profitable to make at least the most
common antibiotics meat or fish flavored!

Bonnie

"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> The pharmacy that compounds for vets here made us chicken gravy-flavored
> once. I got cans of chicken-gravy cat food, poured off some of the gravy
> into a cat bowl, put the flavored medicine in that, and our most finicky
> (and smart) cat ate it right down! I think I screamed for joy on that one.
>
> It would be cool if all pharmacies would carry a carnivore flavor.
>
> Rhonda
>
> IDzine01 wrote:
>> Oh my, that's hilarious! Dave did get meat flavored antibiotics. It's a
>> major veterinary hospital in this area so they fill the perscriptions
>> right there. His is chicken flavored. He doesn't seem to mind the
>> flavor but he doesn't like being held down.
>>

>> Rhonda wrote:

>>>Bubblegum? Ooohh.
>>>
>>>After I got home and realized it was heavily flavored with lemon, I
>>>called the pharmacy back. They offered to flavor it anything else, and
>>>said they had every flavor you could think of. Of course I said "Meat?"
>>>He said no, everything else. Everything else was all fruits, chocolate,
>>>or bubblegum. I'm sure that didn't work for your cat either.
>>>
>>>There is a compounding pharmacy here that does meat flavors for vets,
>>>but it was too late on a Friday night for that.
>>>
>>>Rhonda

22brix
January 21st 07, 05:51 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 07:44:30 GMT, Rhonda > wrote:
>

> Rudy also has terrible allergic reactions to his vaccines and has to have
> Benadryl injection first. The first time he had his shots, he reacted
> within 5 minutes and it was really scary. He hates the vet, needless to
> say.
>
> --
> Lynne

Been there, done that. I still remember one memorable night on Valentines,
in stormy, rainy weather trying to find my way to the emergency vet (of
course emergencies only happen when my own vet is not on call!) with a cat
who was having difficulty breathing after her vaccines. After that, we gave
her Benadryl first but she started reacting even then. We eventually had to
stop giving her any vaccines (except rabies--she was okay with rabies vac.)
It is very scary!!

Bonnie

Lynne
January 21st 07, 06:20 PM
on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:51:55 GMT, "22brix" >
wrote:

> After that, we gave
> her Benadryl first but she started reacting even then. We eventually
> had to stop giving her any vaccines (except rabies--she was okay with
> rabies vac.) It is very scary!!

Yeah, Rudy had a slight reaction with his vaccines this time, even with the
Benadryl. He may not get anything other than rabies from now on, either.

That doesn't worry me. I may have him titered to check his immunity. I
suspect it lasts a hell of a lot longer than 1 year, perhaps even a
lifetime (after the 2nd year booster, that is).

--
Lynne

Lynne
January 21st 07, 06:21 PM
on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:44:36 GMT, "22brix" > wrote:

> make at least the most
> common antibiotics meat or fish flavored!

Can you imagine accidentally getting one of these flavors for your kid? I
find that possibility hilarious for some reason. I'd love to see the look
on my daughter's face!

--
Lynne

22brix
January 21st 07, 07:19 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:51:55 GMT, "22brix" >
> wrote:
>
>> After that, we gave
>> her Benadryl first but she started reacting even then. We eventually
>> had to stop giving her any vaccines (except rabies--she was okay with
>> rabies vac.) It is very scary!!
>
> Yeah, Rudy had a slight reaction with his vaccines this time, even with
> the
> Benadryl. He may not get anything other than rabies from now on, either.
>
> That doesn't worry me. I may have him titered to check his immunity. I
> suspect it lasts a hell of a lot longer than 1 year, perhaps even a
> lifetime (after the 2nd year booster, that is).
>
> --
> Lynne

My vet is no longer recommending that I vaccinate my previously vaccinated
cats (strictly indoor) for anything but rabies which makes me happy!

Bonnie

Bonnie

22brix
January 21st 07, 07:20 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:44:36 GMT, "22brix" > wrote:
>
>> make at least the most
>> common antibiotics meat or fish flavored!
>
> Can you imagine accidentally getting one of these flavors for your kid? I
> find that possibility hilarious for some reason. I'd love to see the look
> on my daughter's face!
>
> --
> Lynne

Hey, she might like it! Although if you're expecting fruit flavor. . . a
bit like drinking a mouthful of buttermilk when you're expecting milk!

Bonnie

dgk
January 22nd 07, 02:09 PM
On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:44:37 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 05:57:15 GMT, Rhonda >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Sometimes food allergies can cause itching and swelling -- our cat that
>>>down his cheek. He was put on IVD limited ingredients food.
>>>
>>>Don't let them give him a steroid shot for allergies. Our cat became
>>>diabetic 3 weeks after one shot.
>>>
>>>Rhonda
>>
>> As we discussed a while back, there is a link between steroids and
>> diabetes but for a steroid shot to cause diabetes seems very rare.
>> It's more likely that the shot can push a marginally diabetic cat over
>> the line.
>>
>> Many, many cats get steroids for all kinds of things and don't get
>> diabetes. Rhonda, do you recall which steroid it was? Maybe there is a
>> difference between the short acting and long acting ones?
>
>No, I never knew what type -- I wasn't the one who took the cat in that
>time. It was our internist vet that pointed out the link. She even said
>it happened to a cat that she personally had given a steroid shot.
>
>Also, a surgeon who we consulted for another cat said there are
>different types of steroids, but when we told him it was an allergy shot
>-- he said you have to be very careful with those shots. He said there
>have been those kinds of problems.
>
>I believe last time you questioned it I posted the results from the
>feline diabetes group. I think 6-7 people answered within a few hours
>that their cats were diabetic from a steroid treatment.
>
>When one of your cats becomes diabetic after one shot and after you
>spend $4,000 in six months and still watch him go through hell, then
>come back to me with your feelings about it.
>
>Rhonda

True. It's often a case of risk analysis. I wonder what percentage of
allergy shots cause diabetes? It can't be too high or they wouldn't do
it.

As Lynne writes, it's best to try to eliminate the cause of the
allergy if you can.

Elizabeth via CatKB.com
January 23rd 07, 05:06 AM
I would definitiely take him to a different vet's office. Just to be certain
of the problem.

--
http://i7.tinypic.com/24g0snn.jpg

my baby.