PDA

View Full Version : Ping: Rene S Re: Need help with anorexic cat


Alan
January 20th 07, 12:48 AM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
oups.com...
<Snip>
> In the meantime, have you tried a fish-flavored variety of Fancy Feast?
> Ordinarily, I would not encourage feeding this kind of good, but many
> cats like it. A previous vet I used called it "McDonalds for cats."
>
> Rene
>
Rene,
Can you expand on this statement "McDonalds for cats"? I'm not trolling
you on this. We just got a brand new 3 mo old kitten over Christmas and
we're feeding him Fancy Feast and Whiskas dry. Are we doing him a disservice
in some way? He loves the stuff.
It IS the higher priced kitty chow but not as much as the Iams or Science
Diet. We're overseas and obtain our meow chow through the military
commissary so we're fairly limited on choice. We use a local vet instead of
the Army vet because it is a *itch to get an appointment. Local vet pretty
much says feed what he'll eat just not too much. The main reason you perked
my interest on this is our last meowzer died unexpecedly last year at age 12
and the local vet said it was - are you ready for this - a possible heart
attack.
Just your thoughts on the Mikkie D 4 kitties thing.
Thanks
Alan

Buddy's Mom
January 20th 07, 01:36 AM
There are a few of us on this list that think that Fancy Feast with
meat as the main item it the bestg feed for our kitties. I have
consistantly had kitties live to 20 on this food alone.

Alan wrote:
> "Rene S." > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> <Snip>
> > In the meantime, have you tried a fish-flavored variety of Fancy Feast?
> > Ordinarily, I would not encourage feeding this kind of good, but many
> > cats like it. A previous vet I used called it "McDonalds for cats."
> >
> > Rene
> >
> Rene,
> Can you expand on this statement "McDonalds for cats"? I'm not trolling
> you on this. We just got a brand new 3 mo old kitten over Christmas and
> we're feeding him Fancy Feast and Whiskas dry. Are we doing him a disservice
> in some way? He loves the stuff.
> It IS the higher priced kitty chow but not as much as the Iams or Science
> Diet. We're overseas and obtain our meow chow through the military
> commissary so we're fairly limited on choice. We use a local vet instead of
> the Army vet because it is a *itch to get an appointment. Local vet pretty
> much says feed what he'll eat just not too much. The main reason you perked
> my interest on this is our last meowzer died unexpecedly last year at age 12
> and the local vet said it was - are you ready for this - a possible heart
> attack.
> Just your thoughts on the Mikkie D 4 kitties thing.
> Thanks
> Alan

Rene S.
January 20th 07, 05:13 PM
> Can you expand on this statement "McDonalds for cats"? I'm not trolling
> you on this. We just got a brand new 3 mo old kitten over Christmas and
> we're feeding him Fancy Feast and Whiskas dry. Are we doing him a disservice
> in some way? He loves the stuff.
> It IS the higher priced kitty chow but not as much as the Iams or Science
> Diet. We're overseas and obtain our meow chow through the military
> commissary so we're fairly limited on choice. We use a local vet instead of
> the Army vet because it is a *itch to get an appointment. Local vet pretty
> much says feed what he'll eat just not too much. The main reason you perked
> my interest on this is our last meowzer died unexpecedly last year at age 12
> and the local vet said it was - are you ready for this - a possible heart
> attack.
> Just your thoughts on the Mikkie D 4 kitties thing.
> Thanks
> Alan

Alan,

When my previous vet said this, she meant that the Fancy Feast was the
equivilant of junk food for cats and not a high-quality food. (However,
in the OP's case, eating some food and gaining weight was better than
the cat not eating and wasting away, which is why I mentioned it.)

I personally have stopped using grocery-store brand foods such as FF
because they use fillers and other ingredients I can't pronounce. For
instance, here's an example of the ingredient list of FF:
Brewers rice, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow
corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E),
soybean meal, animal digest [note: what the hell is that!?], chicken,
turkey, brewers dried yeast, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate,
natural and artificial flavors, potassium chloride, tetra sodium
pyrophosphate, salt, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5,
Blue 2 and other color), taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate,
Vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement,
calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin
supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic
acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium
bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
A-5120

To contrast, here's the ingredient for Nature's Variety raw organic
chicken, which is what I now feed:
Organic Chicken, Organic Ground Chicken Bone, Organic Chicken Liver,
Organic Chicken Heart, Organic Chicken Gizzard, Organic Whole Eggs,
Organic Bok Choy, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Organic Pears,
Organic Persimmons, Organic Flaxseed Oil, Montmorillonite, Organic
Yogurt, Organic Alfalfa Sprouts, Organic Parsley, Organic Blueberries.

I understand that you have limited availability on what you can obtain.
My best advice is to search a little online and read the ingredient
lists. You will be surprised at what you find.

Rene

Rene S.
January 20th 07, 05:13 PM
> Can you expand on this statement "McDonalds for cats"? I'm not trolling
> you on this. We just got a brand new 3 mo old kitten over Christmas and
> we're feeding him Fancy Feast and Whiskas dry. Are we doing him a disservice
> in some way? He loves the stuff.
> It IS the higher priced kitty chow but not as much as the Iams or Science
> Diet. We're overseas and obtain our meow chow through the military
> commissary so we're fairly limited on choice. We use a local vet instead of
> the Army vet because it is a *itch to get an appointment. Local vet pretty
> much says feed what he'll eat just not too much. The main reason you perked
> my interest on this is our last meowzer died unexpecedly last year at age 12
> and the local vet said it was - are you ready for this - a possible heart
> attack.
> Just your thoughts on the Mikkie D 4 kitties thing.
> Thanks
> Alan

Alan,

When my previous vet said this, she meant that the Fancy Feast was the
equivilant of junk food for cats and not a high-quality food. (However,
in the OP's case, eating some food and gaining weight was better than
the cat not eating and wasting away, which is why I mentioned it.)

I personally have stopped using grocery-store brand foods such as FF
because they use fillers and other ingredients I can't pronounce. For
instance, here's an example of the ingredient list of FF:
Brewers rice, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow
corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E),
soybean meal, animal digest [note: what the hell is that!?], chicken,
turkey, brewers dried yeast, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate,
natural and artificial flavors, potassium chloride, tetra sodium
pyrophosphate, salt, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5,
Blue 2 and other color), taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate,
Vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement,
calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin
supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic
acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium
bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
A-5120

To contrast, here's the ingredient for Nature's Variety raw organic
chicken, which is what I now feed:
Organic Chicken, Organic Ground Chicken Bone, Organic Chicken Liver,
Organic Chicken Heart, Organic Chicken Gizzard, Organic Whole Eggs,
Organic Bok Choy, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Organic Pears,
Organic Persimmons, Organic Flaxseed Oil, Montmorillonite, Organic
Yogurt, Organic Alfalfa Sprouts, Organic Parsley, Organic Blueberries.

I understand that you have limited availability on what you can obtain.
My best advice is to search a little online and read the ingredient
lists. You will be surprised at what you find.

Rene

Alan
January 21st 07, 12:47 AM
Thank you for the response.
Got some looking to do -
Alan
"Rene S." > wrote in message
ps.com...
> > Can you expand on this statement "McDonalds for cats"? I'm not
trolling
> > you on this. We just got a brand new 3 mo old kitten over Christmas and
> > we're feeding him Fancy Feast and Whiskas dry. Are we doing him a
disservice
> > in some way? He loves the stuff.
> > It IS the higher priced kitty chow but not as much as the Iams or
Science
> > Diet. We're overseas and obtain our meow chow through the military
> > commissary so we're fairly limited on choice. We use a local vet instead
of
> > the Army vet because it is a *itch to get an appointment. Local vet
pretty
> > much says feed what he'll eat just not too much. The main reason you
perked
> > my interest on this is our last meowzer died unexpecedly last year at
age 12
> > and the local vet said it was - are you ready for this - a possible
heart
> > attack.
> > Just your thoughts on the Mikkie D 4 kitties thing.
> > Thanks
> > Alan
>
> Alan,
>
> When my previous vet said this, she meant that the Fancy Feast was the
> equivilant of junk food for cats and not a high-quality food. (However,
> in the OP's case, eating some food and gaining weight was better than
> the cat not eating and wasting away, which is why I mentioned it.)
>
> I personally have stopped using grocery-store brand foods such as FF
> because they use fillers and other ingredients I can't pronounce. For
> instance, here's an example of the ingredient list of FF:
> Brewers rice, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow
> corn, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E),
> soybean meal, animal digest [note: what the hell is that!?], chicken,
> turkey, brewers dried yeast, phosphoric acid, calcium carbonate,
> natural and artificial flavors, potassium chloride, tetra sodium
> pyrophosphate, salt, choline chloride, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5,
> Blue 2 and other color), taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate,
> Vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement,
> calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin
> supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic
> acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium
> bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
> A-5120
>
> To contrast, here's the ingredient for Nature's Variety raw organic
> chicken, which is what I now feed:
> Organic Chicken, Organic Ground Chicken Bone, Organic Chicken Liver,
> Organic Chicken Heart, Organic Chicken Gizzard, Organic Whole Eggs,
> Organic Bok Choy, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Organic Pears,
> Organic Persimmons, Organic Flaxseed Oil, Montmorillonite, Organic
> Yogurt, Organic Alfalfa Sprouts, Organic Parsley, Organic Blueberries.
>
> I understand that you have limited availability on what you can obtain.
> My best advice is to search a little online and read the ingredient
> lists. You will be surprised at what you find.
>
> Rene
>

cybercat
January 21st 07, 12:56 AM
"Alan" > wrote in message
...
> Thank you for the response.
> Got some looking to do -
>

Alan, all FF varieties are not created equal, and in fact their formula has
recently been changed. Tender Beef Feast, for example, is one of several
varieties that has beef aka real meat, fish, or poultry as a FIRST
ingredient,
not byproducts or meal.

It is a quality food.

cybercat
January 21st 07, 12:57 AM
"Alan" > wrote in message
...
> Thank you for the response.
>

P.S. Cats do not need blueberries, pears, or apples, and the "organic"
selling point is another one that appeals to humans, jacks the cost, but
doesn't do much for cats, if anything.

Alan
January 21st 07, 07:58 AM
Yeah, ever try to feed apples to a cat?
....Although our Kirby (R.I.P.) would help himself to whatever cereal you
were having if you let him.
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Alan" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Thank you for the response.
> >
>
> P.S. Cats do not need blueberries, pears, or apples, and the "organic"
> selling point is another one that appeals to humans, jacks the cost, but
> doesn't do much for cats, if anything.
>
>

Lynne
January 21st 07, 03:12 PM
on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 07:58:39 GMT, "Alan" > wrote:

> Yeah, ever try to feed apples to a cat?

Both of my boys love apples and applesauce, and the little one likes orange
juice, too. This was all discovered accidentally, the little thieves.

--
Lynne

Magic Mood JeepŠ
January 21st 07, 04:22 PM
In m,
Lynne purred:
> on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 07:58:39 GMT, "Alan" >
> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, ever try to feed apples to a cat?
>
> Both of my boys love apples and applesauce, and the little one likes
> orange juice, too. This was all discovered accidentally, the little
> thieves.

I have pictures of one of mine eating (licking, actually) at an apple that
we offered him. started when he was about 3-4 months old, and now the 3 1/2
years old, he still likes apples.

Alan
January 22nd 07, 01:02 AM
Guess ya just never know...

"Magic Mood JeepŠ" > wrote in message
...
> In m,
> Lynne purred:
> > on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 07:58:39 GMT, "Alan" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah, ever try to feed apples to a cat?
> >
> > Both of my boys love apples and applesauce, and the little one likes
> > orange juice, too. This was all discovered accidentally, the little
> > thieves.
>
> I have pictures of one of mine eating (licking, actually) at an apple that
> we offered him. started when he was about 3-4 months old, and now the 3
1/2
> years old, he still likes apples.
>
>

Rene S.
January 22nd 07, 08:21 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Alan" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Thank you for the response.
> >
>
> P.S. Cats do not need blueberries, pears, or apples, and the "organic"
> selling point is another one that appeals to humans, jacks the cost, but
> doesn't do much for cats, if anything.

cybercat,

The organic chicken is only one of the types I feed. The other is
chicken and turkey. There is no perfect cat food on the market, but
ones like Nature's Variety try and imitate what a cat would eat in the
wild, 95% or so meat and 5% veggies (based on the idea that a cat would
consume whatever was his prey's stomach).