PDA

View Full Version : Please Help On Male Spraying

Medea
January 21st 07, 11:49 PM
We have a beautiful yellow male cat. He was about a year old when he
came here & tried for a month to join our family. We finally gave in &
had him neutered & all his shots. His health was very bad when he
first came here, but he is fat & happy now. The problem is that he
wants to be a house cat & we also want that. He gets along with our
other house cats, but he sprays everyplace he can, every where in the
house. I understand what he is doing & why. He want to claim his
place here. Is there any way to stop this? I thought of a diaper, but
he would be too embarressed. Any help on this would be greatly
appreciated. Please answer by email as I hardly ever get to the news
groups & thank you for taking the time to read this.

PS We asked the Vet & he just shook his head. :-)

Werther's Original
January 22nd 07, 04:44 AM
nail him with a bucket of water everytime
he'll catch on

Medea wrote:
> We have a beautiful yellow male cat. He was about a year old when he
> came here & tried for a month to join our family. We finally gave in &
> had him neutered & all his shots. His health was very bad when he
> first came here, but he is fat & happy now. The problem is that he
> wants to be a house cat & we also want that. He gets along with our
> other house cats, but he sprays everyplace he can, every where in the
> house. I understand what he is doing & why. He want to claim his
> place here. Is there any way to stop this? I thought of a diaper, but
> he would be too embarressed. Any help on this would be greatly
> appreciated. Please answer by email as I hardly ever get to the news
> groups & thank you for taking the time to read this.
>
> PS We asked the Vet & he just shook his head. :-)

Werther's Original
January 22nd 07, 04:46 AM
Start out by crating him, while you remove his pee smell from your
American dream (your house)

Go head to head with him, sure.. it would be nice if there was a stop
peeing on my post pill
but.. you have to change his nature, you have to change his instinct

the instinct to live must over-ride the instinct to mark territory
yes, he must fear for his very life.

Medea wrote:
> We have a beautiful yellow male cat. He was about a year old when he
> came here & tried for a month to join our family. We finally gave in &
> had him neutered & all his shots. His health was very bad when he
> first came here, but he is fat & happy now. The problem is that he
> wants to be a house cat & we also want that. He gets along with our
> other house cats, but he sprays everyplace he can, every where in the
> house. I understand what he is doing & why. He want to claim his
> place here. Is there any way to stop this? I thought of a diaper, but
> he would be too embarressed. Any help on this would be greatly
> appreciated. Please answer by email as I hardly ever get to the news
> groups & thank you for taking the time to read this.
>
> PS We asked the Vet & he just shook his head. :-)

Matthew
January 22nd 07, 04:48 AM
Behave Barry

"Werther's Original" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> nail him with a bucket of water everytime
> he'll catch on
>
> Medea wrote:
>> We have a beautiful yellow male cat. He was about a year old when he
>> came here & tried for a month to join our family. We finally gave in &
>> had him neutered & all his shots. His health was very bad when he
>> first came here, but he is fat & happy now. The problem is that he
>> wants to be a house cat & we also want that. He gets along with our
>> other house cats, but he sprays everyplace he can, every where in the
>> house. I understand what he is doing & why. He want to claim his
>> place here. Is there any way to stop this? I thought of a diaper, but
>> he would be too embarressed. Any help on this would be greatly
>> appreciated. Please answer by email as I hardly ever get to the news
>> groups & thank you for taking the time to read this.
>>
>> PS We asked the Vet & he just shook his head. :-)

Matthew
January 22nd 07, 04:54 AM
Check your email old man

"Werther's Original" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Start out by crating him, while you remove his pee smell from your
> American dream (your house)
>
> Go head to head with him, sure.. it would be nice if there was a stop
> peeing on my post pill
> but.. you have to change his nature, you have to change his instinct
>
> the instinct to live must over-ride the instinct to mark territory
> yes, he must fear for his very life.
>
> Medea wrote:
>> We have a beautiful yellow male cat. He was about a year old when he
>> came here & tried for a month to join our family. We finally gave in &
>> had him neutered & all his shots. His health was very bad when he
>> first came here, but he is fat & happy now. The problem is that he
>> wants to be a house cat & we also want that. He gets along with our
>> other house cats, but he sprays everyplace he can, every where in the
>> house. I understand what he is doing & why. He want to claim his
>> place here. Is there any way to stop this? I thought of a diaper, but
>> he would be too embarressed. Any help on this would be greatly
>> appreciated. Please answer by email as I hardly ever get to the news
>> groups & thank you for taking the time to read this.
>>
>> PS We asked the Vet & he just shook his head. :-)

Werther's Original
January 22nd 07, 05:24 AM
Matthew wrote:
> Check your email old man

done that, check yours, lol

Rhonda
January 22nd 07, 07:09 AM
Medea, is this the vet that neutered him? I'm wondering if they got it
all, so to speak. Maybe have another vet look him over.

You'll want to rule out that he does not have a urinary infection, too.
Is he actually standing up and spraying or just peeing everywhere?

If you rule out a medical problem and it is behavioral, many people have
had good luck with Feliway dispensers to calm down their cats. Make sure
you use a good odor neutralizer, like Nature's Miracle, to take care of
the old spots so he doesn't smell it and try again.

By the way, does he use the litter box at all? He might not like the
litter. There's one called Cat Attract that is supposed to help kitties
find the box.

If it comes down to trying different things and nothing works, probably
the last resort would be to talk to the vet about medication. There are
some mood drugs for cats that help many use the box.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Medea wrote:
> We have a beautiful yellow male cat. He was about a year old when he
> came here & tried for a month to join our family. We finally gave in &
> had him neutered & all his shots. His health was very bad when he
> first came here, but he is fat & happy now. The problem is that he
> wants to be a house cat & we also want that. He gets along with our
> other house cats, but he sprays everyplace he can, every where in the
> house. I understand what he is doing & why. He want to claim his
> place here. Is there any way to stop this? I thought of a diaper, but
> he would be too embarressed. Any help on this would be greatly
> appreciated. Please answer by email as I hardly ever get to the news
> groups & thank you for taking the time to read this.
>
> PS We asked the Vet & he just shook his head. :-)

IBen Getiner
January 22nd 07, 12:40 PM
Medea wrote:
> We have a beautiful yellow male cat. He was about a year old when he
> came here & tried for a month to join our family. We finally gave in &
> had him neutered & all his shots. His health was very bad when he
> first came here, but he is fat & happy now. The problem is that he
> wants to be a house cat & we also want that. He gets along with our
> other house cats, but he sprays everyplace he can, every where in the
> house. I understand what he is doing & why. He want to claim his
> place here. Is there any way to stop this? I thought of a diaper, but
> he would be too embarressed. Any help on this would be greatly
> appreciated. Please answer by email as I hardly ever get to the news
> groups & thank you for taking the time to read this.
>
> PS We asked the Vet & he just shook his head. :-)

I'm HAPPY that he's still spraying for you. ****ing barbarian... You
went and had his masculinity cut out. Had to go an get him 'neutered',
just so you could look fashionable in front of your koo-koo
animal-rights friends, I suppose. But it didn't do you any good, now
did it? LOL...!! Believe me... you're getting exactly what you
disserve. He's probably doing it on purpose just to get even with you
for the act of savagery that you committed against his little person.
Our boy has both his male parts because we don't care what other's
think we should or should not do. We don't succumb to all the latest
fads like jerks like you apparently do. Our boy is a fat and sassy,
mean and healthy male tom. It is quite normal for them to spray every
once in a while due to the continued perception of keeping a territory
for the pack. But you get used to it after a while. It's normal,
healthy and good. And it sure beats the alternative. Barbaric
*******s... Self-centered to the end, each and every one of you who
subscribes to this vile, barbaric and totally needless procedure. And
you people preach outright against necessary things like declawing...
Shame. Shame on all of you who do this vile thing to your trusting and
loving pets. You're supposed to love them. Not hurt them.

IBen
Getiner

sheelagh
January 22nd 07, 03:53 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> Medea, is this the vet that neutered him? I'm wondering if they got it
> all, so to speak. Maybe have another vet look him over.
>
> You'll want to rule out that he does not have a urinary infection, too.
> Is he actually standing up and spraying or just peeing everywhere?
>
> If you rule out a medical problem and it is behavioral, many people have
> had good luck with Feliway dispensers to calm down their cats. Make sure
> you use a good odor neutralizer, like Nature's Miracle, to take care of
> the old spots so he doesn't smell it and try again.
>
> By the way, does he use the litter box at all? He might not like the
> litter. There's one called Cat Attract that is supposed to help kitties
> find the box.
>
> If it comes down to trying different things and nothing works, probably
> the last resort would be to talk to the vet about medication. There are
> some mood drugs for cats that help many use the box.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rhonda
Hi Rhonda,
I have a bit of a problem with the same thing.
When we took Ringo in a few week's ago, he was fine & I had no
problem's with him spraying at all.
He appear's to be Done(& I was informed that he is in fact fixed), but
has recently started spraying up anything that he can find, so I have
started confining him to the utility room rather than allowing him the
whole run of the house.

Whilst I realise that this is not a good long term answer, I also
needed some advice regarding the same problem too.

The only thing that is different to before, is that it started when we
took Lucy(fur) in a few week's after him.
Lucy is most deffinately spayed, because I took her when she was fixed.
Would this indicate that it is behavioural?

It's driving us potty(excuse the pun, not intended!), because he is the
master of all ginger feline ring tail's and we love him dearly-But his
recent habbit's are making life hard for both us and the rest of the
moggies in the house as well.

Also, how would I approach this issue with the vet?Do I wait for her to
tell me what she think's, or do I tell her what I think the problem
might be?
I don't want to stand on her toe's, but I do want to get on top of the
problem asap.

Medea, you have my total empathy with this one...It really is awful
isn't it?
Keep me up to date with how you are doing if you wouldn't mind?
I will try *anything* that I can do, because he is worth it..but boy
does he whiff!!!
Thanx
S;o)

Rhonda
January 23rd 07, 10:00 AM
sheelagh wrote:

> The only thing that is different to before, is that it started when we
> took Lucy(fur) in a few week's after him.
> Lucy is most deffinately spayed, because I took her when she was fixed.
> Would this indicate that it is behavioural?
>
> It's driving us potty(excuse the pun, not intended!), because he is the
> master of all ginger feline ring tail's and we love him dearly-But his
> recent habbit's are making life hard for both us and the rest of the
> moggies in the house as well.
>
> Also, how would I approach this issue with the vet?Do I wait for her to
> tell me what she think's, or do I tell her what I think the problem
> might be?
> I don't want to stand on her toe's, but I do want to get on top of the
> problem asap.

Sheelagh, sometimes cats get sick right when something else is
happening, like bringing in a new pet, so the cause gets confusing. I
think it's best to rule out a medical problem before you treat it as
behavioral.

At the vet, just be honest and say what happened. I don't think a good
vet would ever feel like you're standing on their toes if you ask
questions. I usually say "He's been doing this, do you think it could be
...."

When we brought in a new cat and he started peeing everywhere about 2
weeks after he was here. We took him into the vet and he had crystals
and a bladder infection. The vet thinks he could have been holding his
pee too long because he was in a new place and that made things worse. I
asked her to check his neutering job because the previous owner had
receipts that he was neutered, but his rear quarters didn't look like
our neutered cats! He had a few extra parts. The vet looked him over and
said he was neutered, and I trust her.

If your kitty's okay medically, do you have some other intact cats
there? Didn't you have some kittens? Having every cat in the household
spayed and neutered is the first step to calming down all of the
hormones and the need to mark the territory.

Good luck to you,

Rhonda