PDA

View Full Version : what is feliway?

kitkat via CatKB.com
January 25th 07, 09:54 PM
I was looking in the archives regarding compulsive licking in cats.

I have two and one of them licks excessively. That said I saw in a couple
posts that giving Feliway is helpful - what is that?

and if anyone wants to tackle the other problem - stewie licks all day - but
not just one spot - he's not on meds and his food hasn't changed (plus we get
it directly from the vet so I'm assuming it's decent). He's not lickinh
himself raw, but I am a bit disturbed by the constant preening.

(and why is it that he always seems dirty even though he's continually
licking himself? hmmmm.)

John Ross Mc Master
January 25th 07, 11:06 PM
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:54:37 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I was looking in the archives regarding compulsive licking in cats.
>
>I have two and one of them licks excessively. That said I saw in a couple
>posts that giving Feliway is helpful - what is that?
>
>and if anyone wants to tackle the other problem - stewie licks all day - but
>not just one spot - he's not on meds and his food hasn't changed (plus we get
>it directly from the vet so I'm assuming it's decent). He's not lickinh
>himself raw, but I am a bit disturbed by the constant preening.
>
>(and why is it that he always seems dirty even though he's continually
>licking himself? hmmmm.)

Take him to the vets. If the vet can't solve it, then by all means try
Feliway. The plug-in diffuser is the best. Jeffers Pet has the lowest
online price I've seen.

Wendy
January 26th 07, 02:11 PM
"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I was looking in the archives regarding compulsive licking in cats.
>
> I have two and one of them licks excessively. That said I saw in a couple
> posts that giving Feliway is helpful - what is that?
>
> and if anyone wants to tackle the other problem - stewie licks all day -
> but
> not just one spot - he's not on meds and his food hasn't changed (plus we
> get
> it directly from the vet so I'm assuming it's decent). He's not lickinh
> himself raw, but I am a bit disturbed by the constant preening.
>
> (and why is it that he always seems dirty even though he's continually
> licking himself? hmmmm.)

Cats will rub their face on objects to mark areas as a 'safe zone'. Feliway
mimics the facial pheromes. It's a subtle effect. I notice I need a refill
when my two boys get too rough playing or seem testy with one another.

If this is an inside only cat then the dirty coat appearance would be of
concern. A lot of times when I've seen 'greasy' or dirty looking cats there
has been a health problem. The excessive grooming could be an indication of
this as well.

I have seen cats over groom and worse because of food allergies. One of my
recent fosters didn't do well on most dry foods because of the high grain
content. Is the cat on a prescription diet? If so you don't want to change
it without consulting the vet.

One of the first things that let us know one of our cats was sick was a
greasy appearing coat.

I think I'd discuss your concerns with your vet who can check the cat over
and see if there is something brewing.

Wendy
January 26th 07, 02:13 PM
"John Ross Mc Master" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 21:54:37 GMT, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I was looking in the archives regarding compulsive licking in cats.
>>
>>I have two and one of them licks excessively. That said I saw in a couple
>>posts that giving Feliway is helpful - what is that?
>>
>>and if anyone wants to tackle the other problem - stewie licks all day -
>>but
>>not just one spot - he's not on meds and his food hasn't changed (plus we
>>get
>>it directly from the vet so I'm assuming it's decent). He's not lickinh
>>himself raw, but I am a bit disturbed by the constant preening.
>>
>>(and why is it that he always seems dirty even though he's continually
>>licking himself? hmmmm.)
>
> Take him to the vets. If the vet can't solve it, then by all means try
> Feliway. The plug-in diffuser is the best. Jeffers Pet has the lowest
> online price I've seen.

Valley Vet charges a little more for the refills but ends up being cheaper
because of free shipping.