PDA

View Full Version : Spray smell but doesn't linger

IshmaelDS
January 25th 07, 11:00 PM
I just recently rescued a cat from our local SPCA. The cat was just
neutured, he is about 1 year old and i don't know his history. We
brought him home last night and he has since started to smell
faintly(to me at least my wife says strongly). It smells like he
sprayed but the smell goes away after a hour or so, and doesn't linger.
We don't see him spraying but I was wondering if the fact that he is
just now neturued and at 1 year old would that have any kind of effects
for the first few days? He was only neutured tuesday(today being
thursday). To me it almost seems like he is having trouble controlling
his bladder but we don't see any pee or wet marks near him when we
notice the smell. Please HELP!

January 25th 07, 11:56 PM
Just give him a litle time. It can take 1-2 weeks to totally end the
spraying behavior.
He may just be sprinkling a little bit here and there. It should
totally cease in a week
or two - the hormonal changes are still kicking in.

And THANK YOU for adopting a shelter cat!

Best,

Tracy

On Jan 25, 3:00 pm, "IshmaelDS" > wrote:
> I just recently rescued a cat from our local SPCA. The cat was just
> neutured, he is about 1 year old and i don't know his history. We
> brought him home last night and he has since started to smell
> faintly(to me at least my wife says strongly). It smells like he
> sprayed but the smell goes away after a hour or so, and doesn't linger.
> We don't see him spraying but I was wondering if the fact that he is
> just now neturued and at 1 year old would that have any kind of effects
> for the first few days? He was only neutured tuesday(today being
> thursday). To me it almost seems like he is having trouble controlling
> his bladder but we don't see any pee or wet marks near him when we
> notice the smell. Please HELP!

William Hamblen
January 26th 07, 02:20 AM
On 25 Jan 2007 15:00:30 -0800, "IshmaelDS" >
wrote:

>I just recently rescued a cat from our local SPCA. The cat was just
>neutured, he is about 1 year old and i don't know his history. We
>brought him home last night and he has since started to smell
>faintly(to me at least my wife says strongly). It smells like he
>sprayed but the smell goes away after a hour or so, and doesn't linger.
> We don't see him spraying but I was wondering if the fact that he is
>just now neturued and at 1 year old would that have any kind of effects
>for the first few days? He was only neutured tuesday(today being
>thursday). To me it almost seems like he is having trouble controlling
>his bladder but we don't see any pee or wet marks near him when we
>notice the smell. Please HELP!

His hormones haven't been used up yet. I think if he sprayed you
would know it. Tomcats really hose down the spot. I've never had any
trouble with cats spraying in the house. I've seen mine spray the
bushes outside. They do an impressive job. Tomcats have kind of a
gamey smell.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

IshmaelDS
January 26th 07, 07:27 AM
Thank you. Much appreciated the quick replys. I'll give him a few
weeks to see what's happening. My wife told me it hasn't smelled yet
today.