PDA

View Full Version : After tooth surgery, cat is not the same. I am scared.

Lump
January 27th 07, 09:35 PM
I did a search but realized it was going to take so long and i feel
like i urgently need someone's advice or help about this, so i'm just
writing it all now. I am sorry about that.

Before i go into what is happening, here is some background info:

My cat, Madeleine, is fourteen years old and has always been very
healthy. She started to have some kind of strange allergy problem
about a year ago, so once in a while, she'll go into the vet for a
cortisone shot.

She got sick recently, with a cold, where she was sneezing and
coughing, with a runny nose. The vet gave us antibiotics and she
seemed to get better.

I also have to emphasize that, even when she had the cold, she was
still very lively. She's always running around and she likes to catch
those fuzzy cloth hair bands. Even though she's considered and "old"
cat, she has remained healthy and happy.

We took her in again and the vet said that her teeth not only needed
cleaning but that some really needed to be removed as they could
threaten her health.

So, the other day, she had the cleaning and teeth removed. They used
the gas anesthesia, i wouldn't go to a vet that used the injectible
stuff, after a bad experience i had some years ago.

Anyway, she hasn't been the same since. I expected her to be out of
it for a little while, what with the surgery and pain relievers and
everything. But wouldn't eat.

Then, one day, she gobbled up a little dish of cat food and i was very
happy and she seemed better. Bu the next day, she wouldn't eat again,
and she was falling over. She seems to be very weak.

Yesterday, we took her in again and the vet used an IV to give her
fluids and nutrients all day, and he also force fed her. Last night,
she ate some food that the vet gave us on her own but she was still
very weak. I thought it would be a good idea to walk her down the
hall, just so she could maybe start to get her strength back. I took
her to the end of it and she walked back on her own but stumbled a
bit.

But today, she won't eat again. And she can barely walk or stand up.
I've helped walk her down the hall a couple of times today, and she is
managing to use some strength, but something is wrong. It is as if
she's lost her coordination. I just force fed her a little while ago
and now i have her with me in my bed, where she always sleeps.

She is purring but i know that purring doesn't always mean a cat is
content, it could mean she is in pain. She looks like she's quivering
a bit. I've got her wrapped in blankets. She seems so spacey and
different.

After the surgery, which was supposed to make her healthier, she's
worse than ever. I am really scared. Another thing that is worrying
me is that she doesn't seem to have defacated or urinated since the
surgery.

Like i said before, even when she was sick she was very vivacious and
lively. Very energetic.

What could have happened? Has anyone else experienced this? Does
anyone know what could be happening and what i can do?

I love her so much and i can't stand to see her going through this.
I'm determined to nurse her back to health, and am doing what the vet
said, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I'm just scared and hope someone can offer some advice.

Thanks.

Lump
January 27th 07, 09:36 PM
I forgot to add that we stopped give her the pain meds, as the vet
instructed. So that's not what's making her spacey.

PawsForThought
January 27th 07, 09:44 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. I know you must be very
upset and concerned. It sounds to me like a second opinion from a
different vet, and preferably one at another clinic, might be a good
idea if she's not back to normal by tomorrow I'd say. How many days
has it been exactly since her surgery?

Lump
January 27th 07, 09:53 PM
On Jan 27, 1:44 pm, "PawsForThought" > wrote:
> I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. I know you must be very
> upset and concerned. It sounds to me like a second opinion from a
> different vet, and preferably one at another clinic, might be a good
> idea if she's not back to normal by tomorrow I'd say. How many days
> has it been exactly since her surgery?

Thanks so much for your reply. She had the surgery Monday of this
week, the 22nd.

Rhonda
January 27th 07, 09:58 PM
I'm so sorry you and your cat are going through this.

You know, her cold might have been infected teeth. Our cat's runny eye
and stopped-up nose cleared up completely after his bad teeth were removed.

Something is wrong with your kitty, and I think I would get another
vet's opinion too. Since it's Saturday, I'd be tempted to get her into
an emergency clinic instead of waiting until Monday. Is there an
emergency clinic with a good reputation, one that might be able to help
with the diagnosis?

An internist vet would be helpful, but you usually need a referral to
get into them and I think your situation sounds more urgent.

I wonder if she had a little blood clot or stroke during her procedure.

You sound like a great cat-mom and I know you will do what you can to
help her.

Let us know how she's doing,

Rhonda

Lump wrote:
> [...]
> content, it could mean she is in pain. She looks like she's quivering
> a bit. I've got her wrapped in blankets. She seems so spacey and
> different.
>
> After the surgery, which was supposed to make her healthier, she's
> worse than ever. I am really scared. Another thing that is worrying
> me is that she doesn't seem to have defacated or urinated since the
> surgery.
>
> Like i said before, even when she was sick she was very vivacious and
> lively. Very energetic.
>
> What could have happened? Has anyone else experienced this? Does
> anyone know what could be happening and what i can do?
>
> I love her so much and i can't stand to see her going through this.
> I'm determined to nurse her back to health, and am doing what the vet
> said, but it doesn't seem to be enough.
>
> I'm just scared and hope someone can offer some advice.

cybercat
January 27th 07, 11:07 PM
"Lump" > wrote

> I'm just scared and hope someone can offer some advice.

I also think she should see a different vet. My heart goes out to
you. I am afraid to have my cats under anesthesia due to stories
like yours. I hope this is only temporary, maybe a reaction to the
anesthesia.

Lynne
January 27th 07, 11:24 PM
on Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:53:47 GMT, "Lump" > wrote:

> Thanks so much for your reply. She had the surgery Monday of this
> week, the 22nd.

Did your vet do pre-anesthesia bloodwork?

I agree you need a second opinion, and I strongly suggest you take her to
an emergency vet hospital.

I hope she will be okay!!

--
Lynne

MaryL
January 28th 07, 02:04 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:53:47 GMT, "Lump" > wrote:
>
>> Thanks so much for your reply. She had the surgery Monday of this
>> week, the 22nd.
>
> Did your vet do pre-anesthesia bloodwork?
>
> I agree you need a second opinion, and I strongly suggest you take her to
> an emergency vet hospital.
>
> I hope she will be okay!!
>
> --
> Lynne

That's good advice -- both the advice of a second opinion and the suggestion
to take her to an emergency vet hospital. I would not want to wait until
Monday on this!

MaryL

Lump
January 28th 07, 02:46 AM
Well, i took her to an emergency clinic in the next town, as there's
not one here.

Thank you all so much for your advice, by the way. You are all very
kind.

Yes, our vet did the bloodwork before the surgery and then did a more
blood work after, when she was having trouble. I really do trust him,
although i am very upset about Madeleine. But he is always very
thorough and good with the animals.

To make a long story short, the veterinarian at the emergency clinic
really couldn't do much. She didn't make any diagnosis, except that
Madeleine was dehydrated. We asked her all sorts of questions, but i
didn't feel like there were any solid answers. One thing she said
that kind of bothered me was that perhaps "it was just her time," and
that she doubted the surgery had anything to do with it. But it's
hard for me to believe that, when she was so healthy, lively and happy
before the surgery. I am not blaming the vet or anything, things can
go wrong no matter how careful a person is and i know there's always a
risk with anesthesia. it's just that it is very obvious to me that
something serious has happened this week, sometime after the surgery.
Madsie didn't just coincidentally and suddenly reach "her time," i
mean, i suppose it's possible but i have a very hard time believing
it. Before Monday, she was frisky as could be. Now she can't walk at
all. However, she seems more aware and less spacey tonight than she
did today.

Anyway, the options were either to leave her at the emergency clinic
overnight on an IV (just like she was on all day yesterday) or give
her water shots under the skin. Although she said the IV was the
better option, she also said there was no guarantee that it would
prevent Madeleine from dying. I opted for the shots under the skin
and to take her home. I just couldn't leave her there on her own,
overnight, she has already been traumatized by the visits to the vet
and everything. If she's going to die, i'd rather have it be here
beside me, where she is comfortable, than there, where i know she will
be scared.

But i have a lot of hope that i can get her through this.

My sister had a cat that, one day, became completely paralyzed, out of
the blue. He couldn't move at all, not one bit. She took him to the
vet and they recommended putting him to sleep, but she just couldn't
do at that time, she felt like she needed to take him home and think
about it. Well, that weekend she noticed he could move a little, and
pretty soon he was walking around like normal. He lived at least four
years after that, perfectly fine.

So, i am going to take care of Madeleine as best i can. I am going to
do everything possible for her, except let her die alone. She is
bundled up beside me right now, and purring whenever i pet her, as she
usually does.

Thank you again, all of you, for your help and kindness.

cybercat
January 28th 07, 03:01 AM
"Lump" > wrote>

> One thing she said
> that kind of bothered me was that perhaps "it was just her time," and
> that she doubted the surgery had anything to do with it.

Oh, grrrrr ... Horse hockey. What an idiot.

But it's
> hard for me to believe that, when she was so healthy, lively and happy
> before the surgery. I am not blaming the vet or anything, things can
> go wrong no matter how careful a person is and i know there's always a
> risk with anesthesia. it's just that it is very obvious to me that
> something serious has happened this week, sometime after the surgery.

Of course.

> Madsie didn't just coincidentally and suddenly reach "her time," i
> mean, i suppose it's possible but i have a very hard time believing
> it. Before Monday, she was frisky as could be. Now she can't walk at
> all. However, she seems more aware and less spacey tonight than she
> did today.

Well that is good, anyway. Maybe she just needs some time to get back
to normal. I really, really hope so.

> Anyway, the options were either to leave her at the emergency clinic
> overnight on an IV (just like she was on all day yesterday) or give
> her water shots under the skin. Although she said the IV was the
> better option, she also said there was no guarantee that it would
> prevent Madeleine from dying. I opted for the shots under the skin
> and to take her home. I just couldn't leave her there on her own,
> overnight, she has already been traumatized by the visits to the vet
> and everything. If she's going to die, i'd rather have it be here
> beside me, where she is comfortable, than there, where i know she will
> be scared.

I would have done the same thing. Plus, this idiot emergency vet's comments
did not exactly inspire confidence in her.

> But i have a lot of hope that i can get her through this.
>
> My sister had a cat that, one day, became completely paralyzed, out of
> the blue. He couldn't move at all, not one bit. She took him to the
> vet and they recommended putting him to sleep, but she just couldn't
> do at that time, she felt like she needed to take him home and think
> about it. Well, that weekend she noticed he could move a little, and
> pretty soon he was walking around like normal. He lived at least four
> years after that, perfectly fine.
>
> So, i am going to take care of Madeleine as best i can. I am going to
> do everything possible for her, except let her die alone. She is
> bundled up beside me right now, and purring whenever i pet her, as she
> usually does.
>
> Thank you again, all of you, for your help and kindness.

I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Lynne
January 28th 07, 03:21 AM
on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 02:46:20 GMT, "Lump" > wrote:

> But i have a lot of hope that i can get her through this.

I very much hope you can, too.

I'm so sorry the visit to the emergency hospital was so disappointing. On
the positive side, she got the fluids she needs and maybe that will be just
what she needs to help her get through whatever is going on. You should
put out a bunch of extra water dishes so she doesn't have to go too far to
get a drink. Put them in every room and freshen them often and hopefully
that will help her system flush out any residual toxins from the anesthesia
(in case that is the problem).

If love can heal, she will be fine. I can tell you love her very much.
Please let us know how she fares. You are both in my thoughts.

--
Lynne

cindys
January 28th 07, 03:28 AM
You and Madeleine will be in my thoughts and prayers. Can you keep us
updated?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

"Lump" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> be scared.
>
> But i have a lot of hope that i can get her through this.
>
> My sister had a cat that, one day, became completely paralyzed, out of
> the blue. He couldn't move at all, not one bit. She took him to the
> vet and they recommended putting him to sleep, but she just couldn't
> do at that time, she felt like she needed to take him home and think
> about it. Well, that weekend she noticed he could move a little, and
> pretty soon he was walking around like normal. He lived at least four
> years after that, perfectly fine.
>
> So, i am going to take care of Madeleine as best i can. I am going to
> do everything possible for her, except let her die alone. She is
> bundled up beside me right now, and purring whenever i pet her, as she
> usually does.
>
> Thank you again, all of you, for your help and kindness.

January 28th 07, 03:30 AM
Oh I hate that -- you are worried about your cat and you take the time
and trouble to get her to an emergency vet, and then they say they can't
do much.

It probably really did help her to get some fluids. Anything to make her
feel better will help her fight.

You're doing such a great job for her. Hearing that she's bundled up
beside you and purring was just wonderful.

If it was something like a stroke, a vet told me once that cats are very
good about working their way past it and getting much better. They seem
to do better than humans in that area.

Have you been able to syringe feed her? I've used meat baby food (with
no onions) or wet food, added warm water and blenderized it. You have to
have a larger syringe because it's still a little chunky. Both cats I've
done this for have fought it at first, but I wrapped them in a towel
with just their heads out and got the stuff in. After a few sessions,
they started purring when they saw the syringe!

I hope tomorrow you wake up and she's standing by your bed, begging for
breakfast.

Will be sending good vibes and waiting for an update,

Rhonda

Lump wrote:
> [...]
> be scared.
>
> But i have a lot of hope that i can get her through this.
>
> My sister had a cat that, one day, became completely paralyzed, out of
> the blue. He couldn't move at all, not one bit. She took him to the
> vet and they recommended putting him to sleep, but she just couldn't
> do at that time, she felt like she needed to take him home and think
> about it. Well, that weekend she noticed he could move a little, and
> pretty soon he was walking around like normal. He lived at least four
> years after that, perfectly fine.
>
> So, i am going to take care of Madeleine as best i can. I am going to
> do everything possible for her, except let her die alone. She is
> bundled up beside me right now, and purring whenever i pet her, as she
> usually does.
>
> Thank you again, all of you, for your help and kindness.

hantayo
January 28th 07, 05:28 AM
"Lump" > wrote:
So, i am going to take care of Madeleine as best i can. I am going to
> do everything possible for her, except let her die alone. She is
> bundled up beside me right now, and purring whenever i pet her, as she
> usually does.
>
> Thank you again, all of you, for your help and kindness.

You are a good kitty mom. :-)
When my Toma girl was taken to our vet, on Feb.11th, 2005, & I told them
that she was 14 yrs old - they had that attitude too. Since she was that old
"What would we expect - she's old." She always seemed much younger than her
age, too.
I always told Toma that if my love could save her - she would live forever.
Hold her as close as you can & kiss her little head for me. Peace & warm
healing to both of you...>^.,.^<
Kathy & Toma girl in spirit....

Phil P.
January 28th 07, 05:40 AM
"Lump" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> So, the other day, she had the cleaning and teeth removed. They used
> the gas anesthesia, i wouldn't go to a vet that used the injectible
> stuff, after a bad experience i had some years ago.

Find out which (if) pre-anesthesia meds and/or induction agent he used. A
lot of vets use Telazol or ketamine as induction agents prior to the
inhalant maintenance agent- gas is rarely used alone. These drugs are
dissociatives and can cause prolonged recoveries and behavior similar to
that which you've described (some cats are really spaced out for days).

Phil

Phil P.
January 28th 07, 05:40 AM
"Lump" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I forgot to add that we stopped give her the pain meds, as the vet
> instructed. So that's not what's making her spacey.

Which pain med? It wasn't Metacam (meloxicam) was it?

chatnoir
January 28th 07, 12:53 PM
On Jan 27, 2:35 pm, "Lump" > wrote:
> I did a search but realized it was going to take so long and i feel
> like i urgently need someone's advice or help about this, so i'm just
> writing it all now. I am sorry about that.
>
> Before i go into what is happening, here is some background info:
>
> My cat, Madeleine, is fourteen years old and has always been very
> healthy. She started to have some kind of strange allergy problem
> about a year ago, so once in a while, she'll go into the vet for a
> cortisone shot.
>
> She got sick recently, with a cold, where she was sneezing and
> coughing, with a runny nose. The vet gave us antibiotics and she
> seemed to get better.
>
> I also have to emphasize that, even when she had the cold, she was
> still very lively. She's always running around and she likes to catch
> those fuzzy cloth hair bands. Even though she's considered and "old"
> cat, she has remained healthy and happy.
>
> We took her in again and the vet said that her teeth not only needed
> cleaning but that some really needed to be removed as they could
> threaten her health.
>
> So, the other day, she had the cleaning and teeth removed. They used
> the gas anesthesia, i wouldn't go to a vet that used the injectible
> stuff, after a bad experience i had some years ago.
>
> Anyway, she hasn't been the same since. I expected her to be out of
> it for a little while, what with the surgery and pain relievers and
> everything. But wouldn't eat.
>
> Then, one day, she gobbled up a little dish of cat food and i was very
> happy and she seemed better. Bu the next day, she wouldn't eat again,
> and she was falling over. She seems to be very weak.
>
> Yesterday, we took her in again and the vet used an IV to give her
> fluids and nutrients all day, and he also force fed her. Last night,
> she ate some food that the vet gave us on her own but she was still
> very weak. I thought it would be a good idea to walk her down the
> hall, just so she could maybe start to get her strength back. I took
> her to the end of it and she walked back on her own but stumbled a
> bit.
>
> But today, she won't eat again. And she can barely walk or stand up.
> I've helped walk her down the hall a couple of times today, and she is
> managing to use some strength, but something is wrong. It is as if
> she's lost her coordination. I just force fed her a little while ago
> and now i have her with me in my bed, where she always sleeps.
>
> She is purring but i know that purring doesn't always mean a cat is
> content, it could mean she is in pain. She looks like she's quivering
> a bit. I've got her wrapped in blankets. She seems so spacey and
> different.

Well, when I took Zapata to the Vets when he got sick, he was purring
also! So, much so that they did not detect the irregular heart beat
for a couple of days!