PDA

View Full Version : Ping Siamese Experts

Phil P.
January 28th 07, 06:00 AM
This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
anymore".... . Owner said she's a purebred Snowshoe Siamese but didn't have
the papers. Looks like a Traditional Siamese with pure white feet.

http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_01.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_04.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_05.jpg

Whatydaya think? Yes or no? (I never state a cat is a purebred unless I
have the papers).

Phil

mlbriggs
January 28th 07, 06:16 AM
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 06:00:11 +0000, Phil P. wrote:

> This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
> anymore".... . Owner said she's a purebred Snowshoe Siamese but didn't have
> the papers. Looks like a Traditional Siamese with pure white feet.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_01.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_04.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_05.jpg
>
> Whatydaya think? Yes or no? (I never state a cat is a purebred unless I
> have the papers).
>
> Phil

She looks like a lovely "mix" to me. It looks like she has a woolly coat
on her vest area. What breed would have that?

Stacey Weinberger
January 28th 07, 06:31 AM
How could someone get rid of this beautiful cat? Maybe the wife was
jealous?

Stacey

"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
> anymore".... . Owner said she's a purebred Snowshoe Siamese but didn't
> have
> the papers. Looks like a Traditional Siamese with pure white feet.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_01.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_04.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_05.jpg
>
> Whatydaya think? Yes or no? (I never state a cat is a purebred unless I
> have the papers).
>
> Phil

22brix
January 28th 07, 07:03 AM
Wow, she looks almost identical to a cat I had for 16+ years--I always
thought of her as a "mutt" Siamese. Very similar except that Pandora didn't
have as much brown on her nose. She had four white feet also and a very
charming goatee! She had a great personality, very sweet and gentle and not
as vocal as most Siamese I've been around. What idiots to dump such a lovely
cat.

Bonnie

"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
> anymore".... . Owner said she's a purebred Snowshoe Siamese but didn't
> have
> the papers. Looks like a Traditional Siamese with pure white feet.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_01.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_04.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_05.jpg
>
> Whatydaya think? Yes or no? (I never state a cat is a purebred unless I
> have the papers).
>
> Phil

Alan
January 28th 07, 08:25 AM
We took in a stray many years ago on Okinawa that had similar markings. The
voice was very distinct and we were told the markings were common to cats
from Guam. Affectionate, very territorial, good with people, aloof but not
flighty. He simply disappeared after being with us for a few years.
Alan
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
> anymore".... . Owner said she's a purebred Snowshoe Siamese but didn't
have
> the papers. Looks like a Traditional Siamese with pure white feet.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_01.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_04.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_05.jpg
>
> Whatydaya think? Yes or no? (I never state a cat is a purebred unless I
> have the papers).
>
> Phil

-L.
January 28th 07, 09:17 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
> anymore".... . Owner said she's a purebred Snowshoe Siamese but didn't have
> the papers. Looks like a Traditional Siamese with pure white feet.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_01.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_04.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_05.jpg
>
> Whatydaya think? Yes or no? (I never state a cat is a purebred unless I
> have the papers).
>
> Phil

No. AFAIK there is no breed "Snowshoe Siamese". She's a pied Siamese
- a lovely kitty though.

-L.

Phil P.
January 28th 07, 10:22 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message
> Wow, she looks almost identical to a cat I had for 16+ years--I always
> thought of her as a "mutt" Siamese. Very similar except that Pandora
didn't
> have as much brown on her nose. She had four white feet also and a very
> charming goatee! She had a great personality, very sweet and gentle and
not
> as vocal as most Siamese I've been around.

She's been an absolute angel from the minute we got her- greeting every hand
that reached out to pet her with head-bunts and purrs. She wasn't bothered
in the least by other cats or even dogs walking by her cage. From what I
can see- she's a perfect cat- looks, personality and sociability. I'll know
more about her behavior when she goes into foster. But I'm betting she's an
angel.

What idiots to dump such a lovely
> cat.

Amazing, isn't it? Makes me really worry about all the gray tabbies we've
placed.

Phil

Phil P.
January 28th 07, 10:22 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Phil P. wrote:
> > This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
> > anymore".... . Owner said she's a purebred Snowshoe Siamese but didn't
have
> > the papers. Looks like a Traditional Siamese with pure white feet.
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_01.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_04.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_05.jpg
> >
> > Whatydaya think? Yes or no? (I never state a cat is a purebred unless I
> > have the papers).
> >
> > Phil
>
> No. AFAIK there is no breed "Snowshoe Siamese".

I think there is:

http://www.breedlist.com/snowshoe-breeders.html

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/meadows/2595/puss_siamese.htm

> - a lovely kitty though.

She sure is.

Phil

Phil P.
January 28th 07, 10:29 AM
"Stacey Weinberger" > wrote in message
link.net...
> How could someone get rid of this beautiful cat? Maybe the wife was
> jealous?

Probably! One of my ex-wives was jealous of my cats. She thought I gave
them more attention than I gave her-- She was right! The cats are still here
and she isn't. I might have created a cat hater.

Phil

> Stacey
>
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
> > anymore".... . Owner said she's a purebred Snowshoe Siamese but didn't
> > have
> > the papers. Looks like a Traditional Siamese with pure white feet.
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_01.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_04.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_05.jpg
> >
> > Whatydaya think? Yes or no? (I never state a cat is a purebred unless I
> > have the papers).
> >
> > Phil

Matthew
January 28th 07, 03:58 PM
http://www.breedlist.com/snowshoe-breeders.html
http://www.gotpetsonline.com/siamese/blue-point-siamese/snowshoe-siamese-cats.html
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/meadows/2595/puss_siamese.htm
http://www.bellesnbeaux.com/
http://snrescue.tripod.com/

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Phil P. wrote:
>> This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
>> anymore".... . Owner said she's a purebred Snowshoe Siamese but didn't
>> have
>> the papers. Looks like a Traditional Siamese with pure white feet.
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_01.jpg
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_04.jpg
>>
>> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_05.jpg
>>
>> Whatydaya think? Yes or no? (I never state a cat is a purebred unless I
>> have the papers).
>>
>> Phil
>
> No. AFAIK there is no breed "Snowshoe Siamese". She's a pied Siamese
> - a lovely kitty though.
>
> -L.

cybercat
January 28th 07, 06:38 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
> anymore".... .

Oh, Phil! What a beauty.

Lynne
January 28th 07, 07:54 PM
on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:38:27 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Oh, Phil! What a beauty.

It's a testament to the power of P. (and I'm not talking kitties) that a
man could be pursuaded by his wife to give up such a beautiful, sweet cat.
It makes me sick.

Phil, I don't know how you resist keeping them all for yourself. I guess
that, among other things, is what differentiates you from a collector, but
still, it must be difficult.

I met the sweetest brown tabby at the shelter this week, about 2 years old,
female. She had huge green eyes, a soft face, stripes only on her legs and
was an absolutely stunning petite little thing. When I woke her up she was
all over me with purrs and lovin'. If Levi wasn't schedule to be neutered
this week and if I wasn't so worried about how he will fare with his FHV,
she'd be mine. How anyone can let these gorgeous creatures go is simply
beyond my comprehension.

--
Lynne

Annie Wxill
January 28th 07, 10:01 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]>
> Whatydaya think? Yes or no? ...
> Phil

Whatever her ancestry, she is gorgeous. She has a such expressive eyes. I
hope you can find someone who will appreciate her.
Annie

sheelagh
January 29th 07, 04:51 PM
On Jan 28, 10:01 pm, "Annie Wxill" > wrote:
> "Phil P." > wrote in messagenews:[email protected]>> Whatydaya think? Yes or no? ...
> > PhilWhatever her ancestry, she is gorgeous. She has a such expressive eyes. I
> hope you can find someone who will appreciate her.
> Annie
I can't uinderstand it either..
She is beautiful!!
The worl must be going mad...
She does look like a typical snow shoe though.
Have you tried Pinging Meee?
She would be able to tell you what you need to know Phil as she
breed's Siameese

S;o)

Matthew
January 29th 07, 05:02 PM
NO the world is not mad all the way yet
at least the person did the right thing for that beauty and gave him to
some one who could love and take care of the furball.
Phil will find that beauty a new master. He is a good man

"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> On Jan 28, 10:01 pm, "Annie Wxill" > wrote:
>> "Phil P." > wrote in
>> messagenews:[email protected]>> Whatydaya think? Yes or no?
>> > PhilWhatever her ancestry, she is gorgeous. She has a such expressive
>> > eyes. I
>> hope you can find someone who will appreciate her.
>> Annie
> I can't uinderstand it either..
> She is beautiful!!
> The worl must be going mad...
> She does look like a typical snow shoe though.
> Have you tried Pinging Meee?
> She would be able to tell you what you need to know Phil as she
> breed's Siameese
>
> S;o)

bookie
January 29th 07, 11:34 PM
> Phil will find that beauty a new master. He is a good man

don't you mean a 'new slave'?

bookie
January 29th 07, 11:45 PM
On 28 Jan, 06:00, "Phil P." > wrote:
> This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
> anymore".... . Owner said she's a purebred Snowshoe Siamese but didn't have
> the papers. Looks like a Traditional Siamese with pure white feet.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_01.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_04.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Rescues/sno_shoe_05.jpg
>
> Whatydaya think? Yes or no? (I never state a cat is a purebred unless I
> have the papers).
>
> Phil

Yes, I think the people who gave her up are competely insane, totally
without reason, how can anyone give up an animal, any animal and not
just one as beautiful as this, just because they "don't want it
anymore"?
she is a living creature they have taken on the responsibility of
caring for and protecting, how can they just get rid of her when they
are bored? I hate this attitude which seems more and more prevalent in
today's throwaway consumer society; when you are bored of something
and it doesn't work perfectly for you without any effort on your part
then just get rid of it, like these people with this lovely cat. I
wonder whether they woud get rid of any kids they have when they get
to a certain age and start to cost money or are no longer
entertaining?
at least she will get a new home with human slaves who appreciate her
and are dedicated to satisfying her every wish and desire (as it
should be for a princess like this)

I could not work in a shelter like you do phil, I would be lecturing
every person who dumps a cat with me for these reasons on responsible
pet ownership and how they are treating a life like a disposable thing
which can be thrown away when they they have had enough of it. There
would be fights.

tales like this just make me despair about the human race and what we
are becoming.

22brix
January 30th 07, 03:42 AM
I have a couple pictures here of Pandora, my "snowshoe Siamese". I'm new to
posting pictures so hopefully everything works ok! The pictures with her by
herself were taken just a couple of months before her death--I think she
looks good for being 16 years old!

Bonnie

http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/content/PhotoDetails.aspx?pid=17825&partner=accuweather

http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/content/PhotoDetails.aspx?pid=17824&partner=accuweather

http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/content/PhotoDetails.aspx?pid=17823&partner=accuweather

Lynne
January 30th 07, 03:46 AM
on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 03:42:41 GMT, "22brix" >
wrote:

> I have a couple pictures here of Pandora, my "snowshoe Siamese". I'm
> new to posting pictures so hopefully everything works ok! The
> pictures with her by herself were taken just a couple of months before
> her death--I think she looks good for being 16 years old!

She was absolutely beautiful!!

I've never seen a Siamese I found particularly attractive until I saw your
photos and Phil's.

--
Lynne

Lynne
January 30th 07, 04:01 AM
on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 03:42:41 GMT, "22brix" > wrote:

> Bonnie

I have to say that your photos are amazing!!

--
Lynne

cybercat
January 30th 07, 04:26 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> I have a couple pictures here of Pandora, my "snowshoe Siamese". I'm new
> posting pictures so hopefully everything works ok! The pictures with her
> by
> herself were taken just a couple of months before her death--I think she
> looks good for being 16 years old!
>
> Bonnie
>
> http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/content/PhotoDetails.aspx?pid=17825&partner=accuweather
>
> http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/content/PhotoDetails.aspx?pid=17824&partner=accuweather
>
> http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/content/PhotoDetails.aspx?pid=17823&partner=accuweather

She looks four or five! A beautiful girl. I can see you've taken good care
of her.

cybercat
January 30th 07, 04:28 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> I have a couple pictures here of Pandora, my "snowshoe Siamese". I'm new
> posting pictures so hopefully everything works ok! The pictures with her
> by
> herself were taken just a couple of months before her death--

I'm sorry you lost her. I missed that the first read ...

22brix
January 30th 07, 05:05 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 03:42:41 GMT, "22brix" >
> wrote:
>
> She was absolutely beautiful!!
>
> I've never seen a Siamese I found particularly attractive until I saw your
> photos and Phil's.
>
> --
> Lynne

She was a rescue--we fell in love at first sight. She was incredibly
friendly from the start--she liked people but wasn't crazy about all my
other cats. My vet absolutely loved her, she was so easy to handle. I miss
her so much.

Bonnie

22brix
January 30th 07, 05:06 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 03:42:41 GMT, "22brix" > wrote:
>
>> Bonnie
>
> I have to say that your photos are amazing!!
>
> --
> Lynne

Thanks! I have some beautiful models!

Bonnie

Matthew
January 30th 07, 05:39 AM
Bonnie I am sorry for your loss that beauty I guarantee wormed her way into
your heart without you even trying.

"22brix" > wrote in message

> "Lynne" > wrote in message
> m...
>> on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 03:42:41 GMT, "22brix" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> She was absolutely beautiful!!
>>
>> I've never seen a Siamese I found particularly attractive until I saw
>> your
>> photos and Phil's.
>>
>> --
>> Lynne
>
> She was a rescue--we fell in love at first sight. She was incredibly
> friendly from the start--she liked people but wasn't crazy about all my
> other cats. My vet absolutely loved her, she was so easy to handle. I
> miss her so much.
>
> Bonnie

22brix
January 30th 07, 05:51 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Bonnie I am sorry for your loss that beauty I guarantee wormed her way
> into your heart without you even trying.

No, she didn't have to try hard at all!!! I first met Pandora in the back
room at my vet's--one of their employees worked at placing rescued kitties
and knew I was looking for a cat. She was about 4 months old and swarmed
all over me as soon as I opened the cage door. I couldn't take her right
then because we were going to be gone for the weekend and it was very hard
to leave her there, even though I knew she'd be well cared for. She lost
some of the fur around the nose because she would press her face so hard up
against the cage front. She was wonderfully affectionate right from the
beginning. In the two solo pictures she was showing an unhealthy interest
in my mother's caged canaries!

Bonnie

Matthew
January 30th 07, 06:08 AM
Ka'Shay had the same effect on me I was in my vets' office making sure
Rumble diabetes was under control. I heard this loud pathetic cry. My
words to my vet was someone is not happy. It turned out someone had left
her on my vets doorstep and he could not take her in; too many others he was
taking care off. They had called humane society which is a kill shelter
they were there to take her away. This is what I saw below and I said she
is mine and she is coming home for me to serve. I have been in love with
her since

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/nomoreretail/?action=view&current=Jun21_0002-1.jpg
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/nomoreretail/?action=view&current=Jun21_0001.jpg

22brix
January 30th 07, 06:22 AM
She is precious! How old is she now--didn't you get her last summer? She
is so lucky you were there to take her. I'm always amazed at how quickly
you can fall in love with such a little scrap of fur, claws and teeth.

Bonnie

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Ka'Shay had the same effect on me I was in my vets' office making sure
> Rumble diabetes was under control. I heard this loud pathetic cry. My
> words to my vet was someone is not happy. It turned out someone had left
> her on my vets doorstep and he could not take her in; too many others he
> was taking care off. They had called humane society which is a kill
> shelter they were there to take her away. This is what I saw below and I
> said she is mine and she is coming home for me to serve. I have been in
> love with her since
>
> http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/nomoreretail/?action=view&current=Jun21_0002-1.jpg
> http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/nomoreretail/?action=view&current=Jun21_0001.jpg

Phil P.
January 30th 07, 09:48 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> I have a couple pictures here of Pandora, my "snowshoe Siamese". I'm new
> posting pictures so hopefully everything works ok! The pictures with her
by
> herself were taken just a couple of months before her death--I think she
> looks good for being 16 years old!
>
> Bonnie

http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/content/PhotoDetails.aspx?pid=17825&partner=accuweather

http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/content/PhotoDetails.aspx?pid=17824&partner=accuweather

http://photo.accuweather.com/photogallery/content/PhotoDetails.aspx?pid=17823&partner=accuweather

She's absolutely gorgeous! I'm so sorry you lost her.

I don't like what breeders have done to the Siamese in the last 30-40 years.
They've made them look emaciated and created more genetic defects in that
one breed than all of the other breeds combined. The Siamese breeders sure
"improved" the breed, didn't they? But the Snowshoes have the solid build of
the Traditional Siamese- I think they're absolutely beautiful. If I have to
approve the application for our Snowshoe's adoption, the applicant will have
to pass the "walking on water test"!

Here's a cat from the "other side of the tracks".
http://maxshouse.com/Feral/Bear-01.jpg You can see some of his battle
scars- especially on his ears. He's not nearly as mean as he looks. I'm
really starting to worry about him. He seems to be slowing down. I think he
might be ready to come inside and live the easy life. Its a tough decision.
Ferals bond very strongly to their territory and their colony. Bear and his
brother Beau are very close, so I'd probably have to bring him, too.
http://maxshouse.com/Feral/Beau-01.jpg

Again, I'm sorry you lost Pandora.

Phil

Phil P.
January 30th 07, 09:48 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Ka'Shay had the same effect on me I was in my vets' office making sure
> Rumble diabetes was under control. I heard this loud pathetic cry. My
> words to my vet was someone is not happy. It turned out someone had left
> her on my vets doorstep and he could not take her in; too many others he
was
> taking care off. They had called humane society which is a kill shelter
> they were there to take her away. This is what I saw below and I said she
> is mine and she is coming home for me to serve. I have been in love with
> her since

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/nomoreretail/?action=view&current=Jun21_0002-1.jpg

http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/nomoreretail/?action=view&current=Jun21_0001.jpg

She's adorable, Matthew!

Phil

Phil P.
January 30th 07, 09:58 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > This beauty was an owner surrender- man said his "wife didn't want it
> > anymore".... .
>
> Oh, Phil! What a beauty.

She really is! What a personality, too!

Phil P.
January 30th 07, 09:59 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:38:27 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > Oh, Phil! What a beauty.
>
> It's a testament to the power of P. (and I'm not talking kitties) that a
> man could be pursuaded by his wife to give up such a beautiful, sweet cat.
> It makes me sick.

It makes you sick and makes me tremble. You can disqualify a lot of
obviously unsuited adoptives during the pre-adoption interview, but no
matter how thorough the interview is every adoption is still a crap-shoot.
A lot of the DNAs know exactly what you want to hear.

I don't think I've told you the story about my cat Suggie-oogie- this will
really make you sick.

http://maxshouse.com/Ours/suggie_uggie.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg

When she was surrendered to the county shelter her
original owners said she was biter- which is usually an automatic death
sentence in county shelters. The only reason the shelter didn't kill her the
same day she was surrendered was because she's so beautiful and actually
very sweet. To make a long story short- she's wasn't a biter, she gives
little love-nips when she's petted but never breaks the skin or even hurts.
Its definitely not overstimulation aggression. If you stop petting her she
puts her head under your hand and walks back and forth and pets herself with
your hand. Anyway, one of her previous owners (she was surrendered twice)
had her declawed- I assume because the idiots thought that would stop her
love-nips (which I happened to like). The county shelter couldn't put her up
for adoption again because she was already surrendered twice for "biting".
Fortunately, the right person was working when she was returned the second
time and called me. She's been with me now for about 6 years and she's been
nothing less than an absolute sweetheart.

> Phil, I don't know how you resist keeping them all for yourself. I guess
> that, among other things, is what differentiates you from a collector, but
> still, it must be difficult.

They *are* all *my* cats! They just live someplace else where other people
take care of them for me.

> I met the sweetest brown tabby at the shelter this week, about 2 years
old,
> female. She had huge green eyes, a soft face, stripes only on her legs
and
> was an absolutely stunning petite little thing. When I woke her up she
was
> all over me with purrs and lovin'.

I'm a little slow tonight- are you fostering her?

If Levi wasn't schedule to be neutered
> this week and if I wasn't so worried about how he will fare with his FHV,
> she'd be mine. How anyone can let these gorgeous creatures go is simply
> beyond my comprehension.

Do you have Levi on L-lysine?

Phil

Phil P.
January 30th 07, 09:59 AM
"Annie Wxill" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]>
> > Whatydaya think? Yes or no? ...
> > Phil
> >
> Whatever her ancestry, she is gorgeous. She has a such expressive eyes.

She seemed so bewildered when she came in.

> hope you can find someone who will appreciate her.
> Annie

I don't handle many adoptions- I'm "unreasonably strict". If I handle hers,
the applicants will have to walk on water before they get her.

Phil

Lynne
January 30th 07, 01:14 PM
on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:59:23 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> I don't think I've told you the story about my cat Suggie-oogie- this
> will really make you sick.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Ours/suggie_uggie.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg

Wow, what a stunning girl!

> When she was surrendered to the county shelter her
> original owners said she was biter
<snip>
> She's been with me now for about 6 years
> and she's been nothing less than an absolute sweetheart.

Why on earth would someone intentionally sentance that girl to death?? I
will never understand people... I'm so glad you have her.

> I'm a little slow tonight- are you fostering her?

No, I was visiting the dogs and cats at the shelter. The good news is
that she was adopted!

> Do you have Levi on L-lysine?

Yes, thanks to the great information I got here! He is doing a lot
better, even though he still has frequent outbreaks. They aren't as
severe or prolonged as they used to be.

I've arranged my work schedule so I can be with him all day Thursday, the
day after his surgery. I'm so nervous.

--
Lynne

Lynne
January 30th 07, 01:15 PM
on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:59:38 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> I don't handle many adoptions- I'm "unreasonably strict". If I handle
> hers, the applicants will have to walk on water before they get her.

What's unreasonable about that? :)

--
Lynne

22brix
January 30th 07, 04:39 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> She's absolutely gorgeous! I'm so sorry you lost her.

I am, too. She had a stomach/intestinal blockage which ended up being
cancer. She declined incredibly fast and it was miserable. She had been
hyperthyroid and handled that well and had some other physical problems but
was doing great until about a week before we had to have her euthanized.

> I don't like what breeders have done to the Siamese in the last 30-40
> years.
> They've made them look emaciated and created more genetic defects in that
> one breed than all of the other breeds combined. The Siamese breeders
> sure
> "improved" the breed, didn't they?

I totally agree--I much prefer the "apple-heads". I really do like Siamese
but over the years have preferred the "mutt" Siamese--they seem hardier and
not as prone to weird diseases.

But the Snowshoes have the solid build of
> the Traditional Siamese- I think they're absolutely beautiful. If I have
> approve the application for our Snowshoe's adoption, the applicant will
> have
> to pass the "walking on water test"!

Playing the devil's advocate, can you keep her?! She deserves the best

> Here's a cat from the "other side of the tracks". You can see some of his
> battle
> scars- especially on his ears. He's not nearly as mean as he looks.

He's incredibly handsome--you have the nicest, healthiest looking herd of
ferals I think I've seen!

22brix
January 30th 07, 04:52 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
> I don't think I've told you the story about my cat Suggie-oogie- this will
> really make you sick.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Ours/suggie_uggie.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg

Wow--she's a stunner! She's got such a sweet face!

> When she was surrendered to the county shelter her
> original owners said she was biter- which is usually an automatic death
> sentence in county shelters. The only reason the shelter didn't kill her
> the
> same day she was surrendered was because she's so beautiful and actually
> very sweet. To make a long story short- she's wasn't a biter, she gives
> little love-nips when she's petted but never breaks the skin or even
> hurts.
> Its definitely not overstimulation aggression.

I have a couple of love-biters. If they bite too hard (which one of them
sometimes does) I just blow in their faces which they detest and they'll
stop. I can't imagine surrendering a cat just because of an occaisional
nip--people can be such idiots.

If you stop petting her she
> puts her head under your hand and walks back and forth and pets herself
> with
> your hand.

She sounds wonderful.

Bonnie

Matthew
January 30th 07, 05:19 PM
Thanks Phil I hope you got to look at my other master on my photo page there

"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> Ka'Shay had the same effect on me I was in my vets' office making sure
>> Rumble diabetes was under control. I heard this loud pathetic cry. My
>> words to my vet was someone is not happy. It turned out someone had left
>> her on my vets doorstep and he could not take her in; too many others he
> was
>> taking care off. They had called humane society which is a kill shelter
>> they were there to take her away. This is what I saw below and I said
>> she
>> is mine and she is coming home for me to serve. I have been in love with
>> her since
>>

> http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/nomoreretail/?action=view&current=Jun21_0002-1.jpg
>>
> http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/nomoreretail/?action=view&current=Jun21_0001.jpg
>

> She's adorable, Matthew!
>
> Phil

Matthew
January 30th 07, 05:21 PM
She was about 5 to 6 weeks on June 21,2006 the day we brought her home. My
vet says we are the lucky one we always seem to be in the right place at
the right time. All my furballs have been rescues of some kind including my
spirit who I rescued from a hawk

"22brix" > wrote in message
> She is precious! How old is she now--didn't you get her last summer? She
> is so lucky you were there to take her. I'm always amazed at how quickly
> you can fall in love with such a little scrap of fur, claws and teeth.
>
> Bonnie
>
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> Ka'Shay had the same effect on me I was in my vets' office making sure
>> Rumble diabetes was under control. I heard this loud pathetic cry. My
>> words to my vet was someone is not happy. It turned out someone had left
>> her on my vets doorstep and he could not take her in; too many others he
>> was taking care off. They had called humane society which is a kill
>> shelter they were there to take her away. This is what I saw below and I
>> said she is mine and she is coming home for me to serve. I have been in
>> love with her since
>>
>> http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/nomoreretail/?action=view&current=Jun21_0002-1.jpg
>> http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/nomoreretail/?action=view&current=Jun21_0001.jpg

Annie Wxill
January 30th 07, 05:34 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I don't handle many adoptions- I'm "unreasonably strict". If I handle
> hers, the applicants will have to walk on water before they get her.
Phil

I know what you mean. I'm not even a miniscule fraction involved in rescues
compared to what you do. It is so stressful to rehome a rescue because
however careful you are, you really can't predict what will happen.

On the other hand, not all the potential adopters that you might turn down
are bad people. I recall turning down four potential adopters before
letting a cat go. I turned them down because although they were fine
people, they were not a good match for this particular cat.
It was stressful for me because this cat was close to a year old and well
past the cute kitten stage.

When we rescued two abandoned puppies, I was fortunate to find a rescue
agency to rehome them. You should have heard me interview the rescue
agencies and check their websites to decide if I would give them the puppies
to rehome. I was looking specifically at how they screened potential
adopters.

And, yes, I found the perfect rescue group to take them and they were
adopted right away, much faster than I could have done it by myself.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for those of you in the trenches
dong this difficult work every day.

Annie

22brix
January 30th 07, 06:00 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> She was about 5 to 6 weeks on June 21,2006 the day we brought her home.
> My vet says we are the lucky one we always seem to be in the right place
> at the right time. All my furballs have been rescues of some kind
> including my spirit who I rescued from a hawk

Wow, tell us more! Was your cat injured? My neighbor had a cat who was
killed by a hawk--another reason I keep mine indoors.

All of ours are rescues, too, including my very elderly dog. She was a
pound puppy and was slated to euthanized that evening. We found her just
before the pound was closing. She was a mess, distended belly from worms,
hacking cough--I'm not sure why we took her--just fell in love with that
puppy face, I guess. I know this is a cat group but this dog has been a
fabulous beast, friendly, good-natured, and great with the cats. I have
never, ever seen her be aggressive with any of them. It's so sad so many
animals never get a chance.

Matthew
January 30th 07, 06:19 PM
He had some damage from the claws his tip of his tail has ripped down to the
flash he still has nerve damage to it

I was outside working when I heard all hell breaking loose. I ran over to
see a hawk trying to get a grip on something that was giving the hawk all
hell. I took up a large branch and knocked the hawk off of it. Grabbed what
it had and ran for it. I looked down to see the shivering bleeding black
and white bundle of fur starring up at me. I rushed to the vet holding
him in my arms the whole way. It took a while after for him to come out of
his shock. He started purring and gave me a meow that meow brought me to
tears. I named him Spirit on the spot now I call him a few other choice
words ;-)

He was lucky it must have been a young hawk inexperienced or Spirit would
have never made it. Now I am a proud slave you can see him in many
pictures with Ka'Shay he is now her big brother

"22brix" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> She was about 5 to 6 weeks on June 21,2006 the day we brought her home.
>> My vet says we are the lucky one we always seem to be in the right place
>> at the right time. All my furballs have been rescues of some kind
>> including my spirit who I rescued from a hawk
>>

> Wow, tell us more! Was your cat injured? My neighbor had a cat who was
> killed by a hawk--another reason I keep mine indoors.
>
> All of ours are rescues, too, including my very elderly dog. She was a
> pound puppy and was slated to euthanized that evening. We found her just
> before the pound was closing. She was a mess, distended belly from worms,
> hacking cough--I'm not sure why we took her--just fell in love with that
> puppy face, I guess. I know this is a cat group but this dog has been a
> fabulous beast, friendly, good-natured, and great with the cats. I have
> never, ever seen her be aggressive with any of them. It's so sad so many
> animals never get a chance.

22brix
January 31st 07, 04:41 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
> He had some damage from the claws his tip of his tail has ripped down to
> the flash he still has nerve damage to it
>
> I was outside working when I heard all hell breaking loose. I ran over to
> see a hawk trying to get a grip on something that was giving the hawk all
> hell. I took up a large branch and knocked the hawk off of it. Grabbed
> what it had and ran for it. I looked down to see the shivering bleeding
> black and white bundle of fur starring up at me. I rushed to the vet
> holding him in my arms the whole way. It took a while after for him to
> come out of his shock. He started purring and gave me a meow that meow
> brought me to tears. I named him Spirit on the spot now I call him a few
> other choice words ;-)
>
> He was lucky it must have been a young hawk inexperienced or Spirit would
> have never made it. Now I am a proud slave you can see him in many
> pictures with Ka'Shay he is now her big brother

That's incredible--he is one very lucky cat!

Phil P.
January 31st 07, 11:31 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> Playing the devil's advocate, can you keep her?! She deserves the best

I only adopt and foster cats with special needs and behavioral problems that
are considered "unadoptable" - which proves there's no such thing as an
"unadoptable cat"-- just unwilling owners. She doesn't need me. We won't
have any problem finding her a good, forever home.

> > Here's a cat from the "other side of the tracks". You can see some of
his
> > battle
> > scars- especially on his ears. He's not nearly as mean as he looks.
>
> He's incredibly handsome--you have the nicest, healthiest looking herd of
> ferals I think I've seen!

They're a little stocky now because they get a little more food in the
winter. One of the colonies is near an abandoned building behind a
restaurant- the employees are always giving them food, too. That colony eats
better than a lot of humans! lol.

Phil

Phil P.
January 31st 07, 11:32 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:59:23 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:
>
> > I don't think I've told you the story about my cat Suggie-oogie- this
> > will really make you sick.
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Ours/suggie_uggie.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg
>
> Wow, what a stunning girl!
>
> > When she was surrendered to the county shelter her
> > original owners said she was biter
> <snip>
> > She's been with me now for about 6 years
> > and she's been nothing less than an absolute sweetheart.
>
> Why on earth would someone intentionally sentance that girl to death?? I
> will never understand people... I'm so glad you have her.

A lot of people don't know that most cats surrendered to county/municipal
shelters for behavioral problems are killed- some don't care.

> > I'm a little slow tonight- are you fostering her?
>
> No, I was visiting the dogs and cats at the shelter. The good news is
> that she was adopted!

That's great!

> > Do you have Levi on L-lysine?
>
> Yes, thanks to the great information I got here! He is doing a lot
> better, even though he still has frequent outbreaks. They aren't as
> severe or prolonged as they used to be.

You can buy l-lysine in a syringe that's very easy to dose:

http://maxshouse.com/Drugs/Enisyl-F.jpg

> I've arranged my work schedule so I can be with him all day Thursday, the
> day after his surgery. I'm so nervous.

Don't worry so much! Male neuters aren't that traumatic and require less
anesthesia so the risks are very low.

Phil

Phil P.
January 31st 07, 11:32 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:%[email protected]
> > I don't think I've told you the story about my cat Suggie-oogie- this
will
> > really make you sick.
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Ours/suggie_uggie.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg
>
> Wow--she's a stunner! She's got such a sweet face!

I think she knows it, too! She struts around like she's royalty.

> I have a couple of love-biters. If they bite too hard (which one of them
> sometimes does) I just blow in their faces which they detest and they'll
> stop. I can't imagine surrendering a cat just because of an occaisional
> nip--people can be such idiots.

They sure can be. A few years ago a woman surrendered her cat because the
cat made runs in her pantyhose when the cat jumped up to greet the bitch
when she she came home. Nice way to repay love and affection, huh.

> If you stop petting her she
> > puts her head under your hand and walks back and forth and pets herself
> > with
> > your hand.
>
> She sounds wonderful.

She really is. She's certainly enriched my life.

Phil

Phil P.
January 31st 07, 11:33 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:59:38 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:
>
> > I don't handle many adoptions- I'm "unreasonably strict". If I handle
> > hers, the applicants will have to walk on water before they get her.
>
> What's unreasonable about that? :)

When I see so many cats relinquished for really stupid and trivial reasons,
I can't help being overly cautious. Some people complained about my
pre-adoption interviews. They said the interviews were "interrogations".
The way I see it, the quality of the rest of the cats' lives depends on my
decision. That's a helluva responsibility that I take very, very seriously.
If a potential adoptive can't understand that- they aren't suited to be
entrusted with a cat's life.

Phil

Phil P.
January 31st 07, 11:40 AM
"Annie Wxill" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > I don't handle many adoptions- I'm "unreasonably strict". If I handle
> > hers, the applicants will have to walk on water before they get her.
> Phil
>
> I know what you mean. I'm not even a miniscule fraction involved in
rescues
> compared to what you do. It is so stressful to rehome a rescue because
> however careful you are, you really can't predict what will happen.

Unfortunately, that's very true. No matter how thorough your interview is,
every adoption is still a crap-shoot. The best you can do is eliminate the
obviously bad applicants. Before I even look at the application I just let
them talk. Believe it or not, most of the rejects hang themselves.

> On the other hand, not all the potential adopters that you might turn down
> are bad people.

That's also true.

I recall turning down four potential adopters before
> letting a cat go. I turned them down because although they were fine
> people, they were not a good match for this particular cat.

> It was stressful for me because this cat was close to a year old and well
> past the cute kitten stage.

In situations like that, I explain to them that a particular cat might not
be a good match for them and steer them towards a cat that would suit them
better. For example, a few weeks ago a woman came in with 3 boys 9-12 years
old. She wanted an older cat because she thought the kids would be too rough
with a kitten. I felt the kids would drive an older cat crazy- they were
already fighting in the store over who would hold her.

> When we rescued two abandoned puppies, I was fortunate to find a rescue
> agency to rehome them. You should have heard me interview the rescue
> agencies and check their websites to decide if I would give them the
puppies
> to rehome. I was looking specifically at how they screened potential
> adopters.
>
> And, yes, I found the perfect rescue group to take them and they were
> adopted right away, much faster than I could have done it by myself.

I'm glad you checked out their adoption policy. A lot of groups have ver
high "success" rates only because they home the animals with just about
anyone or they only take in highly adoptable animals.

> I have nothing but respect and admiration for those of you in the trenches
> dong this difficult work every day.

It gets to me sometimes, but I can't imagine not doing it.

Phil

sheelagh
January 31st 07, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately, that's very true. No matter how thorough your interview
is,
every adoption is still a crap-shoot. The best you can do is
eliminate the
obviously bad applicants. Before I even look at the application I just
let
them talk. Believe it or not, most of the rejects hang themselves.

I only home a fraction as many as you do.
However, I find the same thing.
If you allow the person adopting to do most of the talking, in 99% of
cases, the person's true colours shine through without me even having
to say a single word.

Possibly it is nerves on their behalf, but in most instances they
truly do shoot themselves in the foot, all by themselves.

It is wonderful to home them...but if you are sending them back to a
similar start to the one they had, there is no point to what you are
doing.

I would rather risk the one possibility of a good home, than home them
with the possibility of a similar circumstance.

I interview them here at our home, then I go and visit them in their
own home too.

Once I have done both, I have to go with my instinct.
So far it has served me quite well, but you can never be totally
sure, as anyone can act. But to be a good actor, you need to be a
damned good liar too!

And when you have to make an appointment to come and visit them in
their own home's, they have the opportunity to change what they want
you to see...
In the end it comes down to instinct with me.
S;o)

bookie
January 31st 07, 05:33 PM

> For example, a few weeks ago a woman came in with 3 boys 9-12 years
> old. She wanted an older cat because she thought the kids would be too rough
> with a kitten. I felt the kids would drive an older cat crazy- they were
> already fighting in the store over who would hold her.

in that case you should have suggested they adopt a very large and
ferocious rottweiler, the boys woudl soon learnt to respect an
animal's space then!

seriously though did you let them have a cat? if not did you point out
to the woman it was because of her boys behaviour which indicated that
they did not show the required level of respect for animals which they
should? especially with an older cat who probably likes it's snooze
time and quiet spots to sleep in without a bunch of out of control
hooligan kids running around disturbing it? i would worry so much that
teh kids were just gogni to treat the poor animla liek a toy and do
awful thinsg to it or just nto respect it's feelings and need for
peace.
I would certainly have no qualms about telling the mother if that were
the reason, but then i have to deal with parents and inform them of
their child's shortcomings all the time at parent's evenings at school
so i am used to delivering bad news like that (eg "thank you for
coming to see me this afternoon Mrs Simpkins, I am pleased to inform
you that your son Herbert has managed to raise his level of academic
performance from that of a total retard last term to that of a
complete cretin this term, well done! also his behaviour has improved
markedly now and he is no longer acting like a brain damaged baboon on
drugs, he is just acting like a baboon now, excellent progress, you
must be very proud" ).

might be good for her to know all this, then if she really wants a cat
she will do something about disciplining her offspring and teaching
them some respects for other living creatures (not a bad thing then).
Bookie

Lynne
February 1st 07, 01:49 AM
on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:31:42 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> I only adopt and foster cats with special needs and behavioral
> problems that are considered "unadoptable" - which proves there's no
> such thing as an "unadoptable cat"-- just unwilling owners. She
> doesn't need me. We won't have any problem finding her a good, forever
> home.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown!

--
Lynne

Lynne
February 1st 07, 01:54 AM
on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:32:22 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> You can buy l-lysine in a syringe that's very easy to dose:
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Drugs/Enisyl-F.jpg

Oh, now that's very interesting! I've been breaking open l-lysine capsules
and sprinkling it on his food. Sometimes he doesn't eat his entire meal so
I've worried he's not getting all the l-lysine. Do you know of a good
internet source for those? Thanks, Phil!

> Don't worry so much! Male neuters aren't that traumatic and require
> less anesthesia so the risks are very low.

I know, I know, but he's my special baby. I'm so glad it's behind us now!
He's groggy but fine, and just as sweet as ever. I was afraid he'd be mad
at me. (Rudy was when I had him neutered!!)

--
Lynne

Lynne
February 1st 07, 01:55 AM
on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:32:51 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> I think she knows it, too! She struts around like she's royalty.

Ah, but she is!

> They sure can be. A few years ago a woman surrendered her cat because
> the cat made runs in her pantyhose when the cat jumped up to greet the
> bitch when she she came home. Nice way to repay love and affection,
> huh.

Sometimes I really hate people.

--
Lynne

Lynne
February 1st 07, 01:58 AM
on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:33:24 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> When I see so many cats relinquished for really stupid and trivial
> reasons, I can't help being overly cautious. Some people complained
> about my pre-adoption interviews. They said the interviews were
> "interrogations". The way I see it, the quality of the rest of the
> cats' lives depends on my decision. That's a helluva responsibility
> that I take very, very seriously. If a potential adoptive can't
> understand that- they aren't suited to be entrusted with a cat's life.

I agree. If more "breeders" and shelters took that approach, the cats
wouldn't end up relinquished, or worse.

I visit the local Humane Society frequently, just to play with the dogs and
cats. I can't tell you how many bad placements I've witnessed... It's
really unsettling. Needless to say, they get a lot of returns.

--
Lynne

Phil P.
February 2nd 07, 02:58 PM

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/enisyl-f.htm

> > Don't worry so much! Male neuters aren't that traumatic and require
> > less anesthesia so the risks are very low.
>
> I know, I know, but he's my special baby. I'm so glad it's behind us now!
> He's groggy but fine, and just as sweet as ever. I was afraid he'd be mad
> at me. (Rudy was when I had him neutered!!)

Naa, they don't know it was you that had it done to them. lol

Phil

Lynne
February 2nd 07, 04:26 PM
on Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:58:59 GMT, "Phil P." > wrote:

> http://www.bullwrinkle.com/ShoppingPages/enisyl-f.htm

Thanks, Phil!

--
Lynne