PDA

View Full Version : is a syringe or a bottle best to top up feed a kitten


catz carer
January 29th 07, 04:10 PM
I have a litter of six kitten's, but two of them are slightly smaller
than the other four, so I have been trying to top up feed them to help
their mother out.
I have tried using a bottle designed for feeding tiny kittens, but I
am affraid that I will push too much milk in to their mouth's.I have
also tried doing it with a syringe too, wondered which would be best?

When I choose this cat from a rescue centre I was told that the cat
was already spayed.You can imagine my suprise when I noticed her
blowing up like a huge balloon.
I have already booked mummy in to have her spayed in 8 weeks time so
we have no further litter's of kittens.

I just want to do what is best for them, then home them too.
Thank's
Catz C

catz carer
January 29th 07, 04:31 PM
On Jan 29, 4:10 pm, "catz carer" > wrote:
> I have a litter of six kitten's, but two of them are slightly smaller
> than the other four, so I have been trying to top up feed them to help
> their mother out.
> I have tried using a bottle designed for feeding tiny kittens, but I
> am affraid that I will push too much milk in to their mouth's.I have
> also tried doing it with a syringe too, wondered which would be best?
>
> When I choose this cat from a rescue centre I was told that the cat
> was already spayed.You can imagine my suprise when I noticed her
> blowing up like a huge balloon.
> I have already booked mummy in to have her spayed in 8 weeks time so
> we have no further litter's of kittens.
>
> I just want to do what is best for them, then home them too.
> Thank's
I have just realised that my sister has been on my account using it
to post prior ro me.Her name is Sheelagh.
I wouldn't have realised unless I had gone to profile to check it
out, lol...

Her advice is the syringe, but I worry that I will make them aspirate
the milk, so would appreciate a second opinion please?
Catz C

sheelagh
January 29th 07, 04:47 PM
I have just realised that my sister has been on my account using it
> to post prior ro me.Her name is Sheelagh.
> I wouldn't have realised unless I had gone to profile to check it
> out, lol...
>
> Her advice is the syringe, but I worry that I will make them aspirate
> the milk, so would appreciate a second opinion please?
> Catz C


You let me use it!It was @ xmas when you came to stay, & I couldn't
figure out why no posting's were working!!

I still think that you should stick to the syringe & start by dropping
a tiny amount into her mouth, so that she realise's that it is milk,
then start plunging very slowly.
As long as you hold her firmly(wrap her if you need to), with her head
to the side so that any excess dribbles out on it's own, you should be
fine.
How old are they now?About 2week's?

In fact, as long as mum is feeding them, is there any need to
supplement feed?
Have you asked the vet what to do too?
She may tell you not to bother at all.I don't know who you go to up
there, but I do know that our vet would tell you to avoid it unless it
is absolutely nessacery.Ring them, & see what they say,k?Let me know
what he say's too!
S;o)
Ps: Welcome-wondered how long it would take you:o)

cybercat
January 29th 07, 05:07 PM
"catz carer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
>
> On Jan 29, 4:10 pm, "catz carer" > wrote:
>> I have a litter of six kitten's, but two of them are slightly smaller
>> than the other four, so I have been trying to top up feed them to help
>> their mother out.
>> I have tried using a bottle designed for feeding tiny kittens, but I
>> am affraid that I will push too much milk in to their mouth's.I have
>> also tried doing it with a syringe too, wondered which would be best?
>>
>> When I choose this cat from a rescue centre I was told that the cat
>> was already spayed.You can imagine my suprise when I noticed her
>> blowing up like a huge balloon.
>> I have already booked mummy in to have her spayed in 8 weeks time so
>> we have no further litter's of kittens.
>>
>> I just want to do what is best for them, then home them too.
>> Thank's
> I have just realised that my sister has been on my account using it
> to post prior ro me.Her name is Sheelagh.
> I wouldn't have realised unless I had gone to profile to check it
> out, lol...
>
> Her advice is the syringe, but I worry that I will make them aspirate
> the milk, so would appreciate a second opinion please?
> Catz C
>

Why not feed the mother cat lots of nutritious food (kitten food is good for
them when they are lactating) and let her feed her kittens? There are always
"runts" or smaller kittens in litters. Smaller is not always a bad thing.
Maybe
just make sure they get a nipple on a regular basis.

Lynne
January 29th 07, 08:33 PM
on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:07:19 GMT, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> Why not feed the mother cat lots of nutritious food (kitten food is
> good for them when they are lactating) and let her feed her kittens?
> There are always "runts" or smaller kittens in litters. Smaller is not
> always a bad thing. Maybe
> just make sure they get a nipple on a regular basis.

I concur. Make sure the mama is getting nothing less than excellent
nutrition, and plenty of it. Make sure the kittens are all getting nipple
time, but avoid interfering with the nursing relationship unless one of the
kittens is in obvious distress.

If that happens, I recommend a bottle w/a nipple since the kitten can
control the milk flow (just don't make the holes in the nipple too large).
A syringe lends itself to the danger of aspiration. If you end up bottle
feeding any kittens, start offering them formula in a saucer at about the
age of 4 weeks. At that time, there is a real risk for kittens to chew off
and ingest the latex teat. (Been there, done that.)

--
Lynne

sheelagh
January 29th 07, 09:02 PM
On 29 Jan, 20:33, Lynne > wrote:
> on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:07:19 GMT, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
> > Why not feed the mother cat lots of nutritious food (kitten food is
> > good for them when they are lactating) and let her feed her kittens?
> > There are always "runts" or smaller kittens in litters. Smaller is not
> > always a bad thing. Maybe
> > just make sure they get a nipple on a regular basis.I concur. Make sure the mama is getting nothing less than excellent
> nutrition, and plenty of it. Make sure the kittens are all getting nipple
> time, but avoid interfering with the nursing relationship unless one of the
> kittens is in obvious distress.
>
> If that happens, I recommend a bottle w/a nipple since the kitten can
> control the milk flow (just don't make the holes in the nipple too large).
> A syringe lends itself to the danger of aspiration. If you end up bottle
> feeding any kittens, start offering them formula in a saucer at about the
> age of 4 weeks. At that time, there is a real risk for kittens to chew off
> and ingest the latex teat. (Been there, done that.)
>
> --
> Lynne

Why not feed the mother cat lots of nutritious food (kitten food is
good for
them when they are lactating) and let her feed her kittens? There are
always
"runts" or smaller kittens in litters. Smaller is not always a bad
thing.
Maybe
just make sure they get a nipple on a regular basis.
Cyber
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I concure to your better & more experienced judgment.
I have only ever had to hand- rear one pair of kittens & I was going
by personal choice as I found it easier to use a syringe.

I wholeheartedly agree that mummy must be fed for 6 & that she should
have the best we can find for her.It is far easier & simple to do & as
they(Minky & Pete), have already got this pair of kitten's to 2week's,
then she(mummy) is doing something right for them.

Having asked my vet the same question a few hours ago, she suggested
that we put Minky on Cimi-Cat.It is a lactating queen & kitten milk
formula supplement in case you are not familiar with it.
This should help her produce the milk required to feed the smaller
one's & the older ones too.She also suggested Putting the kittens on
mummy when she is contented & take some of the larger one's away from
the teat , to enable the smaller one's to get some colosterum too.

I've just ordered another tin of this to be delivered tomorrow
morning, so that Pete can use it straight away on mummy now, & the
kitty's - as soon as they are old enough to lap.
He should let them have as much as they ask for so I have been
told..does this sound right with you both too?

One more question to ask Lynne.
Would it help Minky & Pete if I were to send him one of the tube's
that I bought originally for Tiggy at all?
If it would, I will get one of those off to Pete as well.
Thanks to both of you for the advice.
I'm sure Pete will thank you too as soon as he get's back on line as
well.
S;o)

Lynne
January 29th 07, 10:22 PM
on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:02:56 GMT, "sheelagh"
> wrote:

> Having asked my vet the same question a few hours ago, she suggested
> that we put Minky on Cimi-Cat.It is a lactating queen & kitten milk
> formula supplement in case you are not familiar with it.
> This should help her produce the milk required to feed the smaller
> one's & the older ones too.She also suggested Putting the kittens on
> mummy when she is contented & take some of the larger one's away from
> the teat , to enable the smaller one's to get some colosterum too.

Depending on how old the kittens are, there may not be any colostrum
left. Very early initial nursing is essential for this miracle nutrient.
There does continue to be decreasing amounts of colostrum over time, but
once the mother's milk comes in fully, the colostrum content diminishes
rapidly. That said, even when the colostrum is gone, mother's milk is
the absolute best food for those kittens. Everything else pales in
comparison, by a very long shot. The advice to pull off the larger
kittens and make sure the smaller ones get some teat time is very good,
especially in larger litters. I think it's a much better first step than
is supplementing.

> I've just ordered another tin of this to be delivered tomorrow
> morning, so that Pete can use it straight away on mummy now, & the
> kitty's - as soon as they are old enough to lap.
> He should let them have as much as they ask for so I have been
> told..does this sound right with you both too?

What else is the queen eating? I would give her access to ample amounts
of kitten food and give her the milk supplement only after she has eaten
solids, so it doesn't make her too full to eat. I tried giving Levi his
L-lysine supplement (for his FHV) in a cat milk treat, but found that he
wasn't eating as much of his regular food if I put them both down at the
same time. The yummy milk is too good to pass up and I think he was
filling up on it. So now I only put it out after he has finished eating
and he drinks it happily, full or not. (He's still very, very thin, so
I'm working on that.)

> One more question to ask Lynne.
> Would it help Minky & Pete if I were to send him one of the tube's
> that I bought originally for Tiggy at all?

By tube do you mean bottle? I'm working on my British, but sometimes I'm
a little slow. ;-)

> If it would, I will get one of those off to Pete as well.
> Thanks to both of you for the advice.
> I'm sure Pete will thank you too as soon as he get's back on line as
> well.

He should thank us with some photos!!!!! :)

--
Lynne

catz carer
January 30th 07, 04:35 PM
On 29 Jan, 22:22, Lynne > wrote:
> on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:02:56 GMT, "sheelagh"
>
> > wrote:
> > Having asked my vet the same question a few hours ago, she suggested
> > that we put Minky on Cimi-Cat.It is a lactating queen & kitten milk
> > formula supplement in case you are not familiar with it.
> > This should help her produce the milk required to feed the smaller
> > one's & the older ones too.She also suggested Putting the kittens on
> > mummy when she is contented & take some of the larger one's away from
> > the teat , to enable the smaller one's to get some colosterum too.Depending on how old the kittens are, there may not be any colostrum
> left. Very early initial nursing is essential for this miracle nutrient.
> There does continue to be decreasing amounts of colostrum over time, but
> once the mother's milk comes in fully, the colostrum content diminishes
> rapidly. That said, even when the colostrum is gone, mother's milk is
> the absolute best food for those kittens. Everything else pales in
> comparison, by a very long shot. The advice to pull off the larger
> kittens and make sure the smaller ones get some teat time is very good,
> especially in larger litters. I think it's a much better first step than
> is supplementing.
>
> > I've just ordered another tin of this to be delivered tomorrow
> > morning, so that Pete can use it straight away on mummy now, & the
> > kitty's - as soon as they are old enough to lap.
> > He should let them have as much as they ask for so I have been
> > told..does this sound right with you both too?What else is the queen eating? I would give her access to ample amounts
> of kitten food and give her the milk supplement only after she has eaten
> solids, so it doesn't make her too full to eat. I tried giving Levi his
> L-lysine supplement (for his FHV) in a cat milk treat, but found that he
> wasn't eating as much of his regular food if I put them both down at the
> same time. The yummy milk is too good to pass up and I think he was
> filling up on it. So now I only put it out after he has finished eating
> and he drinks it happily, full or not. (He's still very, very thin, so
> I'm working on that.)
>
> > One more question to ask Lynne.
> > Would it help Minky & Pete if I were to send him one of the tube's
> > that I bought originally for Tiggy at all?By tube do you mean bottle? I'm working on my British, but sometimes I'm
> a little slow. ;-)
>
> > If it would, I will get one of those off to Pete as well.
> > Thanks to both of you for the advice.
> > I'm sure Pete will thank you too as soon as he get's back on line as
> > well.He should thank us with some photos!!!!! :)
>
> --
> Lynne
Hi,
I am hoping that everyone will see this posting? I wouldn't like
anyone to think that I hadn't answered each posting personally.
I took everyone's advice and took Izzy back to see them vet again &
this was the advice that she gave to me.
I am to continue using the dry kitten food that Sheelagh ordered for
me as well as the whisker's wet food that I have bought.
The Cimi-Cat turned up this morning & he(the vet), told me to feed it
to the mother to start with, but as soon as the kitten's are big
enough to lap it up, then I must put some down for them too,
particularly the smaller two. I also received a bottle of Nutri Cal
today through the post. I have tried feeding this to Izzy on my finger
& she thoroughly enjoys it. I am presuming that this is ok to give to
her?

I was also told to give her some chicken or minced fresh beef every
other day to supplement her diet and add more protein to her diet, to
enable her milk production to make her milk flow well enough for her
kitten's. I have given her some thigh's that were well cooked and de
boned today, & already got some minced beef in for the day after next.

Although we have 4cat's already, we got all of them as adults, or semi
adults. Two of them are Sheelagh, one of them was from the rescue
shelter that she work's at, & Izzy whom we got from a Birman rescue
centre. The point is that we have never had kittens to deal with
before, so this has been quite a shock to us!

As each day passes we are getting more used to them & it is becoming
less of a worry because we are coping & I am more hopeful for the
kittens too. I think we might even find it hard to part with them!!

One thing is sure...Izzy is most definitely not having any more. It is
more frightening than having children, seriously, lol.
Thanks again!
Catz C

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/senior.catz.carer/UnizzySKittens

22brix
January 30th 07, 04:58 PM
Izzy's gorgeous and her babies are awfully cute!

Bonnie

catz carer
January 30th 07, 06:04 PM
On 30 Jan, 16:58, "22brix" > wrote:
> Izzy's gorgeous and her babies are awfully cute!
>
> Bonnie

Thank you.

I will try & upload a few of the rest of the crew later.
My sister has just turned up to "Help Out"., so I will try & do it
after she leaves later..
She is currently cooing over them &checking them all over for us.
Catz C

Lynne
January 30th 07, 07:01 PM
on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:04:11 GMT, "catz carer" >
wrote:

> I will try & upload a few of the rest of the crew later.
> My sister has just turned up to "Help Out"., so I will try & do it
> after she leaves later..
> She is currently cooing over them &checking them all over for us.

They are all adorable! The size difference is striking, but I don't think
it's too unusual. Please keep us updated!

--
Lynne

Wendy
January 30th 07, 10:05 PM
The little one still looks chunky. Is he or is that just fur? As long as
they feel muscular and substantial I wouldn't be as concerned about the
size. You might want to observe to assure that they aren't getting pushed
off the nipple by the larger ones.

W

"catz carer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
>
> On 29 Jan, 22:22, Lynne > wrote:
>> on Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:02:56 GMT, "sheelagh"
>>
>> > wrote:
>> > Having asked my vet the same question a few hours ago, she suggested
>> > that we put Minky on Cimi-Cat.It is a lactating queen & kitten milk
>> > formula supplement in case you are not familiar with it.
>> > This should help her produce the milk required to feed the smaller
>> > one's & the older ones too.She also suggested Putting the kittens on
>> > mummy when she is contented & take some of the larger one's away from
>> > the teat , to enable the smaller one's to get some colosterum
>> > too.Depending on how old the kittens are, there may not be any
>> > colostrum
>> left. Very early initial nursing is essential for this miracle nutrient.
>> There does continue to be decreasing amounts of colostrum over time, but
>> once the mother's milk comes in fully, the colostrum content diminishes
>> rapidly. That said, even when the colostrum is gone, mother's milk is
>> the absolute best food for those kittens. Everything else pales in
>> comparison, by a very long shot. The advice to pull off the larger
>> kittens and make sure the smaller ones get some teat time is very good,
>> especially in larger litters. I think it's a much better first step than
>> is supplementing.
>>
>> > I've just ordered another tin of this to be delivered tomorrow
>> > morning, so that Pete can use it straight away on mummy now, & the
>> > kitty's - as soon as they are old enough to lap.
>> > He should let them have as much as they ask for so I have been
>> > told..does this sound right with you both too?What else is the queen
>> > eating? I would give her access to ample amounts
>> of kitten food and give her the milk supplement only after she has eaten
>> solids, so it doesn't make her too full to eat. I tried giving Levi his
>> L-lysine supplement (for his FHV) in a cat milk treat, but found that he
>> wasn't eating as much of his regular food if I put them both down at the
>> same time. The yummy milk is too good to pass up and I think he was
>> filling up on it. So now I only put it out after he has finished eating
>> and he drinks it happily, full or not. (He's still very, very thin, so
>> I'm working on that.)
>>
>> > One more question to ask Lynne.
>> > Would it help Minky & Pete if I were to send him one of the tube's
>> > that I bought originally for Tiggy at all?By tube do you mean bottle?
>> > I'm working on my British, but sometimes I'm
>> a little slow. ;-)
>>
>> > If it would, I will get one of those off to Pete as well.
>> > Thanks to both of you for the advice.
>> > I'm sure Pete will thank you too as soon as he get's back on line as
>> > well.He should thank us with some photos!!!!! :)
>>
>> --
>> Lynne
> Hi,
> I am hoping that everyone will see this posting? I wouldn't like
> anyone to think that I hadn't answered each posting personally.
> I took everyone's advice and took Izzy back to see them vet again &
> this was the advice that she gave to me.
> I am to continue using the dry kitten food that Sheelagh ordered for
> me as well as the whisker's wet food that I have bought.
> The Cimi-Cat turned up this morning & he(the vet), told me to feed it
> to the mother to start with, but as soon as the kitten's are big
> enough to lap it up, then I must put some down for them too,
> particularly the smaller two. I also received a bottle of Nutri Cal
> today through the post. I have tried feeding this to Izzy on my finger
> & she thoroughly enjoys it. I am presuming that this is ok to give to
> her?
>
> I was also told to give her some chicken or minced fresh beef every
> other day to supplement her diet and add more protein to her diet, to
> enable her milk production to make her milk flow well enough for her
> kitten's. I have given her some thigh's that were well cooked and de
> boned today, & already got some minced beef in for the day after next.
>
> Although we have 4cat's already, we got all of them as adults, or semi
> adults. Two of them are Sheelagh, one of them was from the rescue
> shelter that she work's at, & Izzy whom we got from a Birman rescue
> centre. The point is that we have never had kittens to deal with
> before, so this has been quite a shock to us!
>
> As each day passes we are getting more used to them & it is becoming
> less of a worry because we are coping & I am more hopeful for the
> kittens too. I think we might even find it hard to part with them!!
>
> One thing is sure...Izzy is most definitely not having any more. It is
> more frightening than having children, seriously, lol.
> Thanks again!
> Catz C
>
> http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/senior.catz.carer/UnizzySKittens
>

catz carer
January 30th 07, 11:50 PM
On 30 Jan, 22:05, "Wendy" > wrote:
> The little one still looks chunky. Is he or is that just fur? As long as
> they feel muscular and substantial I wouldn't be as concerned about the
> size. You might want to observe to assure that they aren't getting pushed
> off the nipple by the larger ones.
>
> W
>

>
> >http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/senior.catz.carer/UnizzySKittens- Hide quoted text -

We will.
The last 2weeks have been very draining & but also rewarding.

I now understand why Sheelagh does her community bowls & works @ the
rescue centre too.Frankly, we thought she was a bit of a crack pot
before this all happened.
It takes an experience like this to understand why people get so much
out of it...

We worride terribly about the size difference to start with, but now
that we have got through the first two weeks, I rather hope that this
will become easier with time.

Obviously, because of work commitments, I don't spend as much time
with the kittens as my wife does, but she knows that she needs to put
the smaller kittens on first, then allow the other four to feed their
fill afterwards.That way, it is not such a concern if the smaller
one's do get pushed away occasionally.We continue to watch/observe
them feed to keep an eye on who gets enough, & who doesn't.

We put the smaller ones on first, then allow them to feed to their
hearts content, then we put the rest of the litter in with them once
the smaller two have had their fill.
Minky Izzy gave us a rather odd looks, but didn't complain or even
attempt to look for the others.As long as this continues for the
following couple of weeks, then I think we may have cracked it.

By that time, we are informed that the smaller kittens should be
attempting to lap milk?
If this is the case, then we will allow them to lap some freshly made
formula, *after* they have either eaten solids, or seemed to have had
their fill on mummy?
(should they be eating solids by then?)

My wife Mary will make sure that the smaller kittens get the first
shot at mummy before the other larger ones.
She may also need to come on line occasionally to ask for help from
you all, if that is ok too?

It feels strange becoming the proud parents of six so suddenly, even
daunting at times.....

To answer Wendy's question, "Pinky" is rather fluffy, but far more
robust compared to the size he was at birth.His eye's were the last
ones to open after "Perky", the other small runt.In the photo, Pinky
is the one next to the slightly larger one.
Hard as we try, it is very hard not to give them Pet- name's, even if
it is only to know which kitten we are reffering to.

We have given up the bottle & sygringe feeding now, & are
concentrating on mummy's nourishment instead.
It seem's the most sensible thing to do when there is the worry of
aspiration to consider.
We can always review the situation should the need arise.

We will of course keep you up to date with how they are all doing, &
would like to thank you for the information & the support that you
have all offered too.
We are immensley grateful for the advice you all gave.
Much as we would like to keep all of the kittens, we cant!
I think that we have decided to sell the kittens when the time comes,
and give the proceeds to the Cat Protection League.
Before they leave us however,we have decided to have all 3girls spayed
& also the 3 boys neutered too.

I can understand how tempted someone would be to allow the females to
have kittens from them.
But, look at what happened to us!
I wouldn't wish that on anyone....
Again, many thanks,

Catz~C