PDA

View Full Version : Should cats drink milk?

Persian
January 30th 07, 04:42 PM
I have read that milk is vital for all young mammals, but dairy
products may upset digestion in some adult cats, causing diarrhea.
They suggest buying "cat milk" that overcomes this problem for cats
that have a lifelong love of milk.

Do you give your cats milk?

Alex
www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Gail
January 30th 07, 04:47 PM
As adults, they don't need it......
Gail
"Persian" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have read that milk is vital for all young mammals, but dairy
> products may upset digestion in some adult cats, causing diarrhea.
> They suggest buying "cat milk" that overcomes this problem for cats
> that have a lifelong love of milk.
>
> Do you give your cats milk?
>
> Alex
> www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

cindys
January 30th 07, 05:05 PM
"Persian" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have read that milk is vital for all young mammals, but dairy
> products may upset digestion in some adult cats, causing diarrhea.
> They suggest buying "cat milk" that overcomes this problem for cats
> that have a lifelong love of milk.
>
> Do you give your cats milk?
-------
My understanding is that some cats are lactose intolerant. The so-called
"cat milk" available at the supermarket, is actually cow's milk that has
been treated to remove the lactose. My cats (who love milk) didn't like the
"cat milk" which has a very thick consistency and a different taste. I will
sometimes give my cats a very small amount of regular (cow's) milk. My cats
don't seem to have a digestive problem with this. But in general, kittens
need their mother's milk, and full grown cats don't need any milk (least of
all cow's milk).

I once participated in a "focus group" (where a group of people are paid to
give their opinions on a manufacturer's new product before it hits the
market). The product in question was Cat Sips (a brand of so-called "cat
milk"). It was amazing to me that although the participants generally seemed
to know that cats were lactose intolerant, they were simultaneously claiming
that their full-grown cats "needed" [cow's] milk. I don't think I won any
popularity contests that day after I quipped that cow's milk was for calves,
and did they imagine that African lions were getting osteoporosis from
calcium deficiency?
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Buddy's Mom
January 30th 07, 05:29 PM
As the other posters said, adult cats do not need milk and really
shouldn't have it. They do need to drink water and given the choice,
they will probably choose milk over water.

On Jan 30, 11:42�am, "Persian" > wrote:
> I have read that milk is vital for all young mammals, but dairy
> products may upset digestion in some adult cats, causing diarrhea. *
> They suggest buying "cat milk" that overcomes this problem for cats
> that have a lifelong love of milk.
>
> Do you give your cats milk?
>
> Alexwww.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

Rene S.
January 30th 07, 08:32 PM
On Jan 30, 10:42 am, "Persian" > wrote:
> I have read that milk is vital for all young mammals, but dairy
> products may upset digestion in some adult cats, causing diarrhea.
> They suggest buying "cat milk" that overcomes this problem for cats
> that have a lifelong love of milk.
>
> Do you give your cats milk?
>
> Alexwww.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

I do not give my cats milk. I gave one about a teaspoon once, years
ago, and he immediately vomited it back up. I don't think either of my
cats is feeling like they are "missing" something because they don't
have milk.

LB
January 31st 07, 12:41 AM
On Jan 30, 11:42 am, "Persian" > wrote:
[...]
> Do you give your cats milk?
---------------
No, and milk can harm your cats even if they don't get loose stools.
It upsets the natural digestion process, which is critical to your
cats' proper absorbtion of nutrients.

IBen Getiner
January 31st 07, 11:19 AM
On Jan 30, 11:42�am, "Persian" > wrote:
> I have read that milk is vital for all young mammals, but dairy
> products may upset digestion in some adult cats, causing diarrhea. *
> They suggest buying "cat milk" that overcomes this problem for cats
> that have a lifelong love of milk.
>
> Do you give your cats milk?
>
> Alexwww.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

It's fine for most cats. Ours did get sick, but that's because we let
him drink his little fill. I hear-tell they say it ain't no good, but
most of them are liberal PETA nutcases. And you know what THAT
means... Most likely the only thing they would actually approve of
feeding to your cat would be a strict veggie diet. Nut-jobs one and
all. Beware of their advice, and there's lots in here... They've
raised a nation full of medicated, murdering psychotic children. So
now you want them to tell you what's okay to feed you cat?

IBen Getiner

IBen Getiner
January 31st 07, 11:23 AM
On Jan 30, 12:29�pm, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
> As the other posters said, adult cats do not need milk and really
> shouldn't have it. *They do need to drink water and given the choice,
> they will probably choose milk over water.
>
> On Jan 30, 11:42?am, "Persian" > wrote:
>

> > I have read that milk is vital for all young mammals, but dairy
> > products may upset digestion in some adult cats, causing diarrhea. ?
> > They suggest buying "cat milk" that overcomes this problem for cats
> > that have a lifelong love of milk.
>
> > Do you give your cats milk?
>
> > Alexwww.PersianKittenEmpire.Com- Hide quoted text -

I had sex with my best friend Buddy's mom when I was 18. Up in an
abandon water tower. Was that you?

sheelagh
January 31st 07, 04:00 PM
On 30 Jan, 20:32, "Rene S." > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 10:42 am, "Persian" > wrote:
>
> > I have read that milk is vital for all young mammals, but dairy
> > products may upset digestion in some adult cats, causing diarrhea.
> > They suggest buying "cat milk" that overcomes this problem for cats
> > that have a lifelong love of milk.
>
> > Do you give your cats milk?
>
> > Alexwww.PersianKittenEmpire.Com
>
> I do not give my cats milk. I gave one about a teaspoon once, years
> ago, and he immediately vomited it back up. I don't think either of my
> cats is feeling like they are "missing" something because they don't
> have milk.

I have always been told *never* to give milk to any of the cats @ the
shelter, even if the person who brings the cat in insists on telling
you that they love it.

Apart from the fact that it is not nutritionally good for them, I
understand that bacteria can multiply in it at an amazingly fast rate,
especially in the hotter months of the year, making the cat very ill
once they lap it up?

Having said that, I didn't know about this until about 5years ago, &
before then, I used to give it to my cats on a daily basis & they
seemed to love it!

Now I play safe and only give them water.
The thought that ignorance could possibly have killed one of them is a
little bit too much to ever chance it ever again.
I guess this one is a personal choice issue, but I wouldn't for fear
of what I *might* do to my cat's.
S;o)

PS: It didn't make me very popular either, When I started walking past
their bowl with the milk carton, but it's a cruel to be kind thing now
& they don't even blink at me now over it & drink loads of water
instead...

It also makes me wonder where they got the water from before I knew
about the harmful effects milk might have had on them too?

Smera
February 1st 07, 09:32 PM
"Persian" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have read that milk is vital for all young mammals, but dairy
> products may upset digestion in some adult cats, causing diarrhea.
> They suggest buying "cat milk" that overcomes this problem for cats
> that have a lifelong love of milk.
>
> Do you give your cats milk?
>
> Alex
> www.PersianKittenEmpire.Com

I see no harm, and do give my cats, milk every now and then as a treat
....but, they seem to tolerate it.

If I have cream around, I'll give that to them as a treat over milk though.
The old cartoon "cat and saucer of cream" association isn't without merit.
Sometimes they even get vanilla ice cream..

I suspect that lactose intolerance in cats is not much unlike lactose
intolerance in humans. That is, it comes about more from nurture than
nature. We lose our ability to digest lactose by consuming only small amount
is our early years.

Populations in regions where dairy products are more often consumed are more
lactose tolerant.

I.e., Europeans are more lactose tolerant than North Americans. North
Americans are more lactose tolerant than South Americans. South Americans
are more lactose tolerant than Asians. Indians (India), no surprise, are
the least lactose tolerant.