PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant female cat

January 31st 07, 03:09 AM
Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
heat.
Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant? I
would
appreciate any information you can give me.
thanks

Rhonda
January 31st 07, 06:14 AM
Well, I have a guess... since a litter can have more than one father, I
would think she'd stay in heat for awhile.

You know she can be spayed even while in heat? It would be a good idea
to make an appointment tomorrow.

Rhonda

wrote:
> Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
> but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
> heat.
> Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
> pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant? I
> would
> appreciate any information you can give me.
> thanks

IBen Getiner
January 31st 07, 12:00 PM
On Jan 30, 9:09?pm, " >
wrote:
> Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
> but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
> heat.
> Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
> pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant? I
> would
> appreciate any information you can give me.
> thanks

I don't know for sure concerning your exact problem, Cheyenne. But I
do know that if a new male takes over her territory, the first thing
he will do will be to kill the kittens. And believe it or not, the
very act of losing her young will somehow or other put her immediately
into heat. I don't understand how she could just sit there and let a
wild tom brows in and murder her babies, but that's the facts.

Good luck with your female and the potential tom cat troubles that are
in almost certainly going to browse into her future.

IBen

IBen Getiner
January 31st 07, 12:01 PM
On Jan 30, 9:09?pm, " >
wrote:
> Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
> but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
> heat.
> Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
> pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant? I
> would
> appreciate any information you can give me.
> thanks

I don't know for sure concerning your exact problem, Cheyenne. But I
do know that if a new male takes over her territory, the first thing
he will do will be to kill the kittens. And believe it or not, the
very act of losing her young will somehow or other put her immediately
into heat. I don't understand how she could just sit there and let a
wild tom browse in and murder her babies, but that's the facts.

Good luck with your female and the potential tom cat troubles that are
almost certainly going to browse into her future.

IBen

Phil P.
January 31st 07, 12:30 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
> but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
> heat.
> Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
> pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant?

Females can remain receptive after becoming pregnant- but only for a few
days. How long do you think she's been pregnant?

sheelagh
January 31st 07, 03:59 PM
On 31 Jan, 11:30, "Phil P." > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
> > but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
> > heat.
> > Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
> > pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant?
>
> Females can remain receptive after becoming pregnant- but only for a few
> days. How long do you think she's been pregnant?

How soon can you spay a cat after she has had a litter of kittens?

And, If it is possible, do you have to wait until she has finished
feeding her kitten's?
Many thanks
S;o)

PLS
January 31st 07, 10:10 PM
When we had our cat fixed I was asked if she was dry before they would
do it>

cindys
February 1st 07, 12:04 AM
"PLS" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> When we had our cat fixed I was asked if she was dry before they would
> do it>
----------
Me too. In our situation, we had fostered a pregnant cat for a rescue
organization (someone had dumped her off at a high-kill shelter, and
fortunately, the shelter had offered her to the rescue organization rather
than killing her). We were told she could not be spayed until her kittens
were weaned, and she was dry.

FTR, the kittens were placed in homes through the rescue organization, and
we ended up keeping Amanda. She has been one of our permanent cats ever
since, for nearly six years. (Who would have guessed? :-)
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

cybercat
February 1st 07, 12:19 AM
"cindys" > wrote:

> FTR, the kittens were placed in homes through the rescue organization, and
> we ended up keeping Amanda. She has been one of our permanent cats ever
> since, for nearly six years. (Who would have guessed? :-)

Good for you. So many times nobody wants the mama cat.

LB
February 1st 07, 12:52 AM
On Jan 30, 9:09 pm, " >
wrote:
> Hi everyone. I know this is a question that may have been asked before
> but I have a female cat that I BELIEVE to be pregnant, but is still in
> heat.
> Does anyone know if the female goes out of heat when she becomes
> pregnant, or does she finish her cycle out even if shes pregnant? I
> would
> appreciate any information you can give me.
> thanks

-----------------
I was shocked to learn that the reasons so many kittens come into the
same litter looking so different is that they often have different
fathers. The womb has compartments and can be fertilized multiple
times.

I also wouldn't assume that a cat is pregnant, I'd get her checked by
a vet. Tumors or worms can fill her up and make her appear pregnant.

Best wishes!

cindys
February 1st 07, 02:10 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "cindys" > wrote:
>>
>> FTR, the kittens were placed in homes through the rescue organization,
>> and we ended up keeping Amanda. She has been one of our permanent cats
>> ever since, for nearly six years. (Who would have guessed? :-)
>>

> Good for you. So many times nobody wants the mama cat.
-----------
This is true, and the irony is that Amanda was guesstimated to be only about
six or seven months old herself when she had her kittens. She is incredibly
loving and affectionate. I feel so lucky to have her. I've adopted a small
kitten only once in my adult life. All of our other cats have been adopted
as adults.
Best regards,
---Cindy S.

Lynne
February 1st 07, 02:38 AM
on Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:52:24 GMT, "LB" > wrote:

> I was shocked to learn that the reasons so many kittens come into the
> same litter looking so different is that they often have different
> fathers. The womb has compartments and can be fertilized multiple
> times.

Actually, cats are induced ovulators. Which means they ovulate at the time
of copulation. This is how they have kittens from multiple toms.

> I also wouldn't assume that a cat is pregnant, I'd get her checked by
> a vet. Tumors or worms can fill her up and make her appear pregnant.

I agree. Take her to the vet. Get her spayed while you're at it.

--
Lynne

Rhonda
February 1st 07, 08:25 PM
They can be spayed when they are nursing, but I think that's done just
in certain situations. Feral mothers are sometimes caught before the
kittens can be found. I know a group here will spay the mother and
release her the next day. Not ideal, but they don't know when they would
be able to catch her again.

Rhonda