PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for a female cat to choose never to come into season


sheelagh
January 31st 07, 03:27 PM
I was just wondering if it is possible for a female cat to *choose*
never to come into season at all?
I have been debating this with a friend, but we can't find anything to
tell us whether this is possible or not.

I have been urging her to get her cat spayed as soon as possible now
that she has homed all of the kittens that her cat had.

But her argument against it was that the kittens were over 6 months
old by the time that she homed them, & that she had seen her cat go
through two heat cycles, but on both occasions the female displayed
every single sign of being on heat, yet wouldn't surrender to any male
that made advances towards her.

She is utterly convinced that after a bad experience with an old big
fat Ginger Tom , that she had such a bad experience, that we she will
never allow another male to mate her ever again!
I remain very sceptical about this theory though & put it down to
chance , or possibly not going into full call?
I have never heard of a female cat choosing not to go into full heat
cycle call before now...
Can anyone help put this heated debate to rest please?
thanks.
S;o)

Matthew
January 31st 07, 03:49 PM
Animals can sense if something is wrong with the other potential partner and
can refuse to mate. It nature's way of " strongest of the fittest"
It is also possible that the bad experience scarred her to say. It happens
with humans why not cats


"sheelagh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was just wondering if it is possible for a female cat to *choose*
> never to come into season at all?
> I have been debating this with a friend, but we can't find anything to
> tell us whether this is possible or not.
>
> I have been urging her to get her cat spayed as soon as possible now
> that she has homed all of the kittens that her cat had.
>
> But her argument against it was that the kittens were over 6 months
> old by the time that she homed them, & that she had seen her cat go
> through two heat cycles, but on both occasions the female displayed
> every single sign of being on heat, yet wouldn't surrender to any male
> that made advances towards her.
>
> She is utterly convinced that after a bad experience with an old big
> fat Ginger Tom , that she had such a bad experience, that we she will
> never allow another male to mate her ever again!
> I remain very sceptical about this theory though & put it down to
> chance , or possibly not going into full call?
> I have never heard of a female cat choosing not to go into full heat
> cycle call before now...
> Can anyone help put this heated debate to rest please?
> thanks.
> S;o)
>

sheelagh
January 31st 07, 04:34 PM
On 31 Jan, 15:49, "Matthew" > wrote:
> Animals can sense if something is wrong with the other potential partner and
> can refuse to mate. It nature's way of " strongest of the fittest"
> It is also possible that the bad experience scarred her to say. It happens
> with humans why not cats
>
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
>
>
> >I was just wondering if it is possible for a female cat to *choose*
> > never to come into season at all?
> > I have been debating this with a friend, but we can't find anything to
> > tell us whether this is possible or not.
>
> > I have been urging her to get her cat spayed as soon as possible now
> > that she has homed all of the kittens that her cat had.
>
> > But her argument against it was that the kittens were over 6 months
> > old by the time that she homed them, & that she had seen her cat go
> > through two heat cycles, but on both occasions the female displayed
> > every single sign of being on heat, yet wouldn't surrender to any male
> > that made advances towards her.
>
> > She is utterly convinced that after a bad experience with an old big
> > fat Ginger Tom , that she had such a bad experience, that we she will
> > never allow another male to mate her ever again!
> > I remain very sceptical about this theory though & put it down to
> > chance , or possibly not going into full call?
> > I have never heard of a female cat choosing not to go into full heat
> > cycle call before now...
> > Can anyone help put this heated debate to rest please?
> > thanks.
> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

When you put it like that, I can see your point.

I hadn't looked at it like that to be honest.

On balance though, wouldn't you think it would be better to spay than
leave it to chance?
Or, do you think that she could be right in her assumption, out of
interest?

I have never heard of a female cat that calls, yet never submits
before, & your theory is very interesting & possible & probable,
as my friend points out.
I think that you could be right there, however, I think that *I* would
play safe though...
It is a personal choice one though, isn't it?

I cant force her to have her cat spayed.. but I can pursued her if
possible!

We just need a good argument to pursued her with if possible?

I never knew this before you told me. I thought it was a natural urge
that a female wasn't able to suppress.

I knew that a queen can control when & where, but never *who* before
now.

Thanks
S;o)

Wendy
January 31st 07, 06:43 PM
"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 31 Jan, 15:49, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> Animals can sense if something is wrong with the other potential partner
>> and
>> can refuse to mate. It nature's way of " strongest of the fittest"
>> It is also possible that the bad experience scarred her to say. It
>> happens
>> with humans why not cats
>>
>> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>> >I was just wondering if it is possible for a female cat to *choose*
>> > never to come into season at all?
>> > I have been debating this with a friend, but we can't find anything to
>> > tell us whether this is possible or not.
>>
>> > I have been urging her to get her cat spayed as soon as possible now
>> > that she has homed all of the kittens that her cat had.
>>
>> > But her argument against it was that the kittens were over 6 months
>> > old by the time that she homed them, & that she had seen her cat go
>> > through two heat cycles, but on both occasions the female displayed
>> > every single sign of being on heat, yet wouldn't surrender to any male
>> > that made advances towards her.
>>
>> > She is utterly convinced that after a bad experience with an old big
>> > fat Ginger Tom , that she had such a bad experience, that we she will
>> > never allow another male to mate her ever again!
>> > I remain very sceptical about this theory though & put it down to
>> > chance , or possibly not going into full call?
>> > I have never heard of a female cat choosing not to go into full heat
>> > cycle call before now...
>> > Can anyone help put this heated debate to rest please?
>> > thanks.
>> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
>
> When you put it like that, I can see your point.
>
> I hadn't looked at it like that to be honest.
>
> On balance though, wouldn't you think it would be better to spay than
> leave it to chance?
> Or, do you think that she could be right in her assumption, out of
> interest?
>
> I have never heard of a female cat that calls, yet never submits
> before, & your theory is very interesting & possible & probable,
> as my friend points out.
> I think that you could be right there, however, I think that *I* would
> play safe though...
> It is a personal choice one though, isn't it?
>
> I cant force her to have her cat spayed.. but I can pursued her if
> possible!
>
> We just need a good argument to pursued her with if possible?
>
> I never knew this before you told me. I thought it was a natural urge
> that a female wasn't able to suppress.
>
> I knew that a queen can control when & where, but never *who* before
> now.
>
> Thanks
> S;o)
>
>

tell her to spay asap. If some stud-muffin cat shows up when she's in heat
she'll be doing it all over again. This might just be the time of year when
they aren't as likely to become pregnant - not saying that there aren't some
getting knocked up out there but not as many.

W

Matthew
January 31st 07, 08:05 PM
GET HER FIXED ASAP NO MATTER WHAT
There is not such thing taking a chance on something as dumb luck

"sheelagh" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On 31 Jan, 15:49, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> Animals can sense if something is wrong with the other potential partner
>> and
>> can refuse to mate. It nature's way of " strongest of the fittest"
>> It is also possible that the bad experience scarred her to say. It
>> happens
>> with humans why not cats
>>
>> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>> >I was just wondering if it is possible for a female cat to *choose*
>> > never to come into season at all?
>> > I have been debating this with a friend, but we can't find anything to
>> > tell us whether this is possible or not.
>>
>> > I have been urging her to get her cat spayed as soon as possible now
>> > that she has homed all of the kittens that her cat had.
>>
>> > But her argument against it was that the kittens were over 6 months
>> > old by the time that she homed them, & that she had seen her cat go
>> > through two heat cycles, but on both occasions the female displayed
>> > every single sign of being on heat, yet wouldn't surrender to any male
>> > that made advances towards her.
>>
>> > She is utterly convinced that after a bad experience with an old big
>> > fat Ginger Tom , that she had such a bad experience, that we she will
>> > never allow another male to mate her ever again!
>> > I remain very sceptical about this theory though & put it down to
>> > chance , or possibly not going into full call?
>> > I have never heard of a female cat choosing not to go into full heat
>> > cycle call before now...
>> > Can anyone help put this heated debate to rest please?
>> > thanks.
>> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
>
> When you put it like that, I can see your point.
>
> I hadn't looked at it like that to be honest.
>
> On balance though, wouldn't you think it would be better to spay than
> leave it to chance?
> Or, do you think that she could be right in her assumption, out of
> interest?
>
> I have never heard of a female cat that calls, yet never submits
> before, & your theory is very interesting & possible & probable,
> as my friend points out.
> I think that you could be right there, however, I think that *I* would
> play safe though...
> It is a personal choice one though, isn't it?
>
> I cant force her to have her cat spayed.. but I can pursued her if
> possible!
>
> We just need a good argument to pursued her with if possible?
>
> I never knew this before you told me. I thought it was a natural urge
> that a female wasn't able to suppress.
>
> I knew that a queen can control when & where, but never *who* before
> now.
>
> Thanks
> S;o)
>
>

K. A. Cannon
January 31st 07, 08:11 PM
"sheelagh" > posted
. com> in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav on 31 Jan 2007 07:27:59 -0800:

>I was just wondering if it is possible for a female cat to *choose*
>never to come into season at all?
>I have been debating this with a friend, but we can't find anything to
>tell us whether this is possible or not.
>
>I have been urging her to get her cat spayed as soon as possible now
>that she has homed all of the kittens that her cat had.
>
>But her argument against it was that the kittens were over 6 months
>old by the time that she homed them, & that she had seen her cat go
>through two heat cycles, but on both occasions the female displayed
>every single sign of being on heat, yet wouldn't surrender to any male
>that made advances towards her.
>
>She is utterly convinced that after a bad experience with an old big
>fat Ginger Tom , that she had such a bad experience, that we she will
>never allow another male to mate her ever again!
>I remain very sceptical about this theory though & put it down to
>chance , or possibly not going into full call?
>I have never heard of a female cat choosing not to go into full heat
>cycle call before now...
>Can anyone help put this heated debate to rest please?
>thanks.
>S;o)

She could be a feline lesbian.

Ya never know.


--
K. A. Cannon
kcannon at insurgent dot org
(change the orgy to org to reply)

Obstinate people can be divded into the opinionated, the ignorant,
and the boorish.
-Aristotle, Nichomachean Ethics, Bk. VII

LB
January 31st 07, 11:42 PM
I dunno; can a woman stop her period with her mind? How about rape,
can she prevent that?

Point is, it's silly to assign a human psychological disposition to an
animal based on wishful thinking, and I hope your friend is prepared
to find good homes for an entire unwanted litter.

Good rule of thumb: spay first, ask philosophical questions later.

sheelagh
February 1st 07, 12:25 AM
On 31 Jan, 18:43, "Wendy" > wrote:
> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > On 31 Jan, 15:49, "Matthew" > wrote:
> >> Animals can sense if something is wrong with the other potential partner
> >> and
> >> can refuse to mate. It nature's way of " strongest of the fittest"
> >> It is also possible that the bad experience scarred her to say. It
> >> happens
> >> with humans why not cats
>
> >> "sheelagh" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >> >I was just wondering if it is possible for a female cat to *choose*
> >> > never to come into season at all?
> >> > I have been debating this with a friend, but we can't find anything to
> >> > tell us whether this is possible or not.
>
> >> > I have been urging her to get her cat spayed as soon as possible now
> >> > that she has homed all of the kittens that her cat had.
>
> >> > But her argument against it was that the kittens were over 6 months
> >> > old by the time that she homed them, & that she had seen her cat go
> >> > through two heat cycles, but on both occasions the female displayed
> >> > every single sign of being on heat, yet wouldn't surrender to any male
> >> > that made advances towards her.
>
> >> > She is utterly convinced that after a bad experience with an old big
> >> > fat Ginger Tom , that she had such a bad experience, that we she will
> >> > never allow another male to mate her ever again!
> >> > I remain very sceptical about this theory though & put it down to
> >> > chance , or possibly not going into full call?
> >> > I have never heard of a female cat choosing not to go into full heat
> >> > cycle call before now...
> >> > Can anyone help put this heated debate to rest please?
> >> > thanks.
> >> > S;o)- Hide quoted text -
>
> >> - Show quoted text -
>
> > When you put it like that, I can see your point.
>
> > I hadn't looked at it like that to be honest.
>
> > On balance though, wouldn't you think it would be better to spay than
> > leave it to chance?
> > Or, do you think that she could be right in her assumption, out of
> > interest?
>
> > I have never heard of a female cat that calls, yet never submits
> > before, & your theory is very interesting & possible & probable,
> > as my friend points out.
> > I think that you could be right there, however, I think that *I* would
> > play safe though...
> > It is a personal choice one though, isn't it?
>
> > I cant force her to have her cat spayed.. but I can pursued her if
> > possible!
>
> > We just need a good argument to pursued her with if possible?
>
> > I never knew this before you told me. I thought it was a natural urge
> > that a female wasn't able to suppress.
>
> > I knew that a queen can control when & where, but never *who* before
> > now.
>
> > Thanks
> > S;o)
>
> tell her to spay asap. If some stud-muffin cat shows up when she's in heat
> she'll be doing it all over again. This might just be the time of year when
> they aren't as likely to become pregnant - not saying that there aren't some
> getting knocked up out there but not as many.
>
> W- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I have done:o(

In fact, I have done every thing short of taking her up there and
paying for it my self (now there is a thought..!!)....

Believe me when I tell you that it is very tempting, because she is an
outside cat, so it wouldn't be too unusual for her to not come home
for the odd day or so.

However, my friend is going to notice what has happened.
I was rather hoping to show her the postings to convince her that it
can happen to her again, & this is the last thing that she needs,
living in a one bed roomed flat!!
I am beginning to think hang the consequences & just do it for her

All the same, your right, it is very tempting indeed, the hang the
consequences & worry about that later.

What I really would like to do, Is reassure her that it is entirely
possible that she will get pregnant & that thus far, it has been more
a question of luck, rather than a choice issue of the cats behalf.

I am fairly certain that she will submit in the end.

I was hoping to show her this subject via e-mail to prove to her that
it is possible for her to get pregnant again, & not a no go issue on
the cats behalf;merely a blip, until she feels ready to have more
kittens again...
I will show her these postings and try and convince her that it would
be so much easier just to get the cat spayed, then there will
definitely no further kittens.
Thanks for the advice,
S;o)

sheelagh
February 1st 07, 12:27 PM
On 31 Jan, 23:42, "LB" > wrote:
> I dunno; can a woman stop her period with her mind? How about rape,
> can she prevent that?
>
> Point is, it's silly to assign a human psychological disposition to an
> animal based on wishful thinking, and I hope your friend is prepared
> to find good homes for an entire unwanted litter.
>
> Good rule of thumb: spay first, ask philosophical questions later.

This is also a very good theory too & showed her this one.
It very much mirrors what I was trying to tell her to start with.
They're also the words that I was trying to find to convince her that
it is entirely possible that It will happen to her cat again, whatever
she believes.

Iasked her round this morning for a cuppa (For the benefit of our
American friends, I mean a cup of Tea), & showed her this postings.

The result is a very pleasing one.
She has agreed to spay her as long as I help towards the cost .I have
agreed to pay 50% of the cost to help out.

This is an easy one because we have a society over here called the cat
protection league, who are happy to help people in difficult financial
situations, to meet the cost of spaying any female cat who *owns
you*:o)

I am going to pay the other half because I know how broke she is.

Thanks for the postings on this one. Between us we have got one more
cat spayed.
I couldn't have convinced her on my argument
alone.

> I dunno; can a woman stop her period with her mind? How about rape,
> can she prevent that?

This is an argument that I will store for later use because it is a
very good one & also very convincing one too
S;o)

February 4th 07, 04:30 PM
On Feb 1, 1:27 pm, "sheelagh" > wrote:

> The result is a very pleasing one.
> She has agreed to spay her as long as I help towards the cost .I have
> agreed to pay 50% of the cost to help out.
>
> This is an easy one because we have a society over here called the cat
> protection league, who are happy to help people in difficult financial
> situations, to meet the cost of spaying any female cat who *owns
> you*:o)
>
> I am going to pay the other half because I know how broke she is.
>
> Thanks for the postings on this one. Between us we have got one more
> cat spayed.
> I couldn't have convinced her on my argument
> alone.


Good solution - and have her spayed asap, as mating season has already
started!