PDA

View Full Version : How to care for a long-haired cat?

Chris
January 31st 07, 07:48 PM
We have been adopted by a stray long-haired cat - and we don't know how
to care for him properly.

His hair is so long that he can't groom himself - and when we took him
over we had to get him shaved by the vet.
He's now getting matted again. We took him to a professional groomer ,
who took two hours and still didn't finish - and the cat seemed
distressed by the procedure.

What should we do?
--
Chris

cybercat
January 31st 07, 08:48 PM
"Chris" ]> wrote in message
]...
> We have been adopted by a stray long-haired cat - and we don't know how to
> care for him properly.
>
> His hair is so long that he can't groom himself - and when we took him
> over we had to get him shaved by the vet.
> He's now getting matted again. We took him to a professional groomer ,
> who took two hours and still didn't finish - and the cat seemed distressed
> by the procedure.
>
> What should we do?
> --

Brush him daily and cut out any knots. It might be a relaxing thing to do in
the
evening. You could give him treats after.

---MIKE---
February 1st 07, 01:15 AM
I have had this problem with Tiger and had him shaved last summer. Now
hat his hair is growing back, I try to brush him (with a Zoom Groom) at
least once a day. Hopefully this will prevent the mats. The vet had to
anesthetize him to shave him.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

February 1st 07, 05:02 PM
On Jan 31, 8:15 pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> I have had this problem with Tiger and had him shaved last summer. Now
> hat his hair is growing back, I try to brush him (with a Zoom Groom) at
> least once a day. Hopefully this will prevent the mats. The vet had to
> anesthetize him to shave him.
>
> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

What's a zoom groom?

---MIKE---
February 1st 07, 06:53 PM
>>What's a zoom groom?

A Zoom Groom is a rubber hand held groomer. It has 26 rubber "studs"
that are 3/4" long. If you google Zoom Groom you should be able to find
it.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Rene S.
February 2nd 07, 08:10 PM
On Jan 31, 1:48 pm, Chris ]> wrote:
> We have been adopted by a stray long-haired cat - and we don't know how
> to care for him properly.
>
> His hair is so long that he can't groom himself - and when we took him
> over we had to get him shaved by the vet.
> He's now getting matted again. We took him to a professional groomer ,
> who took two hours and still didn't finish - and the cat seemed
> distressed by the procedure.
>
> What should we do?

You could keep his hair cut in a "lion cut" style, where the body is
mostly shaved but the head and tail still have fur. A good groomer
should be able to cut a lion cut style in much less than two hours.
Here's a page with some photos of cats with lion cuts: http://
community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/lioncut/

I also echo what Mike said about the zoom groom. It's a handy "brush"
that's available online or in most pet stores.

Rene