PDA

View Full Version : "non-profits" and other phoney orgs

getreal
January 31st 07, 10:13 PM
Among the various animal help organizations there are some real losers
and some real genuine helpers. The Tucson Humane Society in an example
of the former.

Many of these so called "non-profit" orgs exist mainly for themselves;
sometimes paying high salaries to their "non-profit" employees.

I'm looking to donate a sizeable amount of money, and have located some
animal help organizations that look good statistically. If anyone has
any recommendations of orgs that can walk the walk (direct/indirect care
to animals), besides talking the talk (mailings soliciting
contributions, etc) let me know. Right now I'm leaning towards some
foreign orgs, since most in the USA are big corporations and have lost
sight of their main purpose.

tanukiki
February 1st 07, 02:14 AM
"getreal" > wrote in message
> Among the various animal help organizations there are some real losers
> and some real genuine helpers. The Tucson Humane Society in an example
> of the former.
>
> Many of these so called "non-profit" orgs exist mainly for themselves;
> sometimes paying high salaries to their "non-profit" employees.
>
> I'm looking to donate a sizeable amount of money, and have located some
> animal help organizations that look good statistically. If anyone has
> any recommendations of orgs that can walk the walk (direct/indirect care
> to animals), besides talking the talk (mailings soliciting
> contributions, etc) let me know. Right now I'm leaning towards some
> foreign orgs, since most in the USA are big corporations and have lost
> sight of their main purpose.

http://www.siameserescue.org They have 5 "centers" across the US. There are
two actual physical centers in VA and TX (with foster homes helping these
out) and 3 centers that are groups of fosters based out of CO and CA. They
do remarkable things for a lot of cats. We just adopted a kitty from them.

oldhickory
February 1st 07, 06:12 AM
some of the feral cat orgs seem to do good work, but as you say, it may vary
from one locale to another.

Have you asked any local vets?

--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"tanukiki" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> "getreal" > wrote in message
>> Among the various animal help organizations there are some real losers
>> and some real genuine helpers. The Tucson Humane Society in an example
>> of the former.
>>
>> Many of these so called "non-profit" orgs exist mainly for themselves;
>> sometimes paying high salaries to their "non-profit" employees.
>>
>> I'm looking to donate a sizeable amount of money, and have located some
>> animal help organizations that look good statistically. If anyone has
>> any recommendations of orgs that can walk the walk (direct/indirect care
>> to animals), besides talking the talk (mailings soliciting
>> contributions, etc) let me know. Right now I'm leaning towards some
>> foreign orgs, since most in the USA are big corporations and have lost
>> sight of their main purpose.
>
> http://www.siameserescue.org They have 5 "centers" across the US. There
> are two actual physical centers in VA and TX (with foster homes helping
> these out) and 3 centers that are groups of fosters based out of CO and
> CA. They do remarkable things for a lot of cats. We just adopted a kitty
> from them.

Matthew
February 1st 07, 06:27 AM
I am looking at starting to donate to these folks
http://www.bigcatrescue.org/index.htm they might be big cats but they need
help too

"getreal" > wrote in message
> Among the various animal help organizations there are some real losers
> and some real genuine helpers. The Tucson Humane Society in an example
> of the former.
>
> Many of these so called "non-profit" orgs exist mainly for themselves;
> sometimes paying high salaries to their "non-profit" employees.
>
> I'm looking to donate a sizeable amount of money, and have located some
> animal help organizations that look good statistically. If anyone has
> any recommendations of orgs that can walk the walk (direct/indirect care
> to animals), besides talking the talk (mailings soliciting
> contributions, etc) let me know. Right now I'm leaning towards some
> foreign orgs, since most in the USA are big corporations and have lost
> sight of their main purpose.

Laura
February 1st 07, 06:35 AM
some in Edmonton Alberta that could use help would be Shares (Safe haven
animal rescue)
4Paws
and of course there are some very small ones like mine www.milorescue.co.nr

there is also many vet clenics overseas that could use new equipment ect ect

~Laura

Cat Protector
February 5th 07, 10:42 PM
I can recommend quite a number that are great organizations. AzCATs for
example deals with the trap, neuter return program (TNR) of feral cats in
the Phoenix area. They work very hard to do this and definately could use
the money. Their web addy is www.azcats.org. Other great organizations I can
think of is the Arizona Animal Welfare League at www.aawl.org, Sun Cities
4PAWS Rescue at www.4pawsrescue.org and even Benji's Buddies at
www.benjisbuddies.perfinder.com. All are located in the Phoenix area and
I've had a chance to work with all of them and know they take really good
care of the animals they end up getting.

A word of warning about Foreign non-profits. It's much harder to catch them
if it turns out to be a scam than it is the United States.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com